Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband 'rollout' via NBS, when/where?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Question! What direction is the dish pointing? Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dunno who is offering a service off the Atlantic and it will certainly not be as cheap as an NBS Tooway service if it is any good . In theory taking a Tooway off 13e now will mean you have all the right gear for Ka Sat at the same location next year .

Properly installing and aligning 1m to 1.2m dishes is not a task for amateurs .

Intelsat 907 ( I think) was where NBS sat services came from up to October . Much stronger beam than Tooway and smaller dish but no extra capacity due in that slot so it will get congested for sure. Intelsat 907 coverage off an Atlantic orbital slot shown below , note that there are NO MOUNTAINS in the way if you live on the west coast .

Against that size optimality you must factor in the further fact that the dish faces the prevaling SW wind and gets knocked out of whack by storms . Condi has sheltered the dish from those winds by putting it on a gable .

Ka Sat will have a spot beam over Ireland unlike Hotbird 6 which uses a main beam for all of Europe ....and Donegal is on the edge of Europe meaning a bigger dish is required than in France for example to get the same signal .

Watty has long pointed out that the same problem existed with Astra2Connect when it was offered by the defunct NBB.

The Beam was weakest in the west of ireland and this meant that the area with WEAKEST signal inevitably meant a LARGER dish ( min 90cm ) and that of course where the WIND is strongest . It came off 23e .

At least with an atlantic bird you can hope for a smaller dish which may bear up better to the wind in the west of Ireland .

You see the NBS will come to an end in a few years and you will all probably still need that dish if Eamon Ryan is minister :)

intel907_spot1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The NBS will come to an end around 2013 and then you will have to pay the full price for Tooway or indeed any Ka Sat service that comes from the Hotbird cluster on 13e . Tooway or indeed any sat service is only supposed to be used for 5% of all NBS connections but I feel that it will be way more than that .

The only satellite that is proposed that will be anywhere near that Ka capacity is Hylas ....the one that 3 were supposed to use all along and which is supposed to go into an Atlantic slot at 33w . That is a new experimental sat so lets see what really happens shall we ??

Other than Ka Sat and Hylas no significant capacity is planned for Europe over the next few years unlike the US and Asia .

Anyway a single bog standard optical fibre has more capacity than an entire satellite, way it is !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rovers return

Condi,

I'm in the NBS area and would consider going for the NBS satellite solution, but in your pictures I don't understand how the satellite signal is passed from the outside dish to the indoor modem as in your photos there are NO cables connected to the outside dish!!!! :eek:

Did the installer leave the cabling up to you? For me this would be unacceptable, as i would not know how to cable from the dish to the modem. How do you or the installer know the connection is working if there are no cables attached to the dish?
    :mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement