Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband 'rollout' via NBS, when/where?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Where following its investigation, the DCENR establishes that 3 are in breach of the NBS conditions it can request 3 to remedy the situation ....

Sounds like they are toothless!

Request!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Hi Condi,
    ."............Arrghhh! If I met the plonker (our account manager) in Eircom, oh god forgive me. They are visiting this week to find a broadband capable line which they 'installed' in our house in summer and have charged us three months rent on - even though it isn't there! .............."

If Eircom have charged line rental for 3 months on a line you never had, ring 1901 and ask for a refund or a credit of 75.41, also ask for a refund of the installation charge if you paid one.

If you get no joy from the people on 1901 ask them for the eircom complaints number(this is a phone number outside the 1901 department). They have to give you the number and when you make contact with your complaint have the account details to hand.

Regards,

Fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Can you tell us whether three install a particular one, a Nextivity Windowsill Repeater and at what distance from their mast please .
    http://www.nextivityinc.com/consumers/images/demo_h.swf

Three (or their partner company) install the nextivity units alright.

jor el wrote: »
    I don't believe the guarantees are even applicable inside the NBS areas. There is absolutely no way that they can control the number of users in any cell sector, so minimum speed guarantee is a complete joke.
    Mobile Broadband products are predominantly bought by people to use at a single location despite the mobile capability of the service. This is probably even more true of the NBS sales. Therefore it is probably more predictable than you would think for the operators to calculate demand in a given area, their problem may be in keeping up with deploying additional capacity on a site & backhaul capacity from the site.
    You could argue that 3G Smartphone users could wander into the cell affecting the subscriber number sin an area but the level of data download from these users should not be enough to cause major issues in reality.
    This is probably more true in a rural area, urban centres probably facilitate mobile users more with locations like cafés, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Is your exchange yellow or green or red in the waterford map on that BB a to z site ?? What dialup speeds do you get now ??

http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/dynamic/image/Waterford.jpg

Yellow means they will do it ( no timescale but most likely before end 2010)

lol I never read that as broadband a to z.

My brain always interpreted it as broadband at oz (as in the wizard of) :D

I'm not joking here either, my brain always read it like that as development in Irish broadband and by eircom just seems like magical fantasy to me I guess :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Mobile Broadband products are predominantly bought by people to use at a single location despite the mobile capability of the service. This is probably even more true of the NBS sales. Therefore it is probably more predictable than you would think for the operators to calculate demand in a given area, their problem may be in keeping up with deploying additional capacity on a site & backhaul capacity from the site.
    You could argue that 3G Smartphone users could wander into the cell affecting the subscriber number sin an area but the level of data download from these users should not be enough to cause major issues in reality.
    This is probably more true in a rural area, urban centres probably facilitate mobile users more with locations like cafés, etc.

What about actual phone calls? Which get priority over data? And they won't invest in this anymore once the initial roll out happens.

Adro947 wrote: »
    What about actual phone calls? Which get priority over data? And they won't invest in this anymore once the initial roll out happens.

All the networks bar 3 have a 2G network that is more than capable of handling the voice calls more or less leaving the 3G network for data alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

All the networks bar 3 have a 2G network that is more than capable of handling the voice calls more or less leaving the 3G network for data alone.

Phones with 3G choose it over 2G by preference so that won't be happening.

Adro947 wrote: »
    Phones with 3G choose it over 2G by preference so that won't be happening.
    Once a call is set up there various parameters that an operator can set to push the call back to the 2G network. Similar to the way traffic is balanced between the GSM 900 & DCS1800 networks. (OK a bit different but similar enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

County Sligo is minimum 30km away , are 3 not on the RTE mast in Glencolumbkille....where there is an ADSL2 enabled exchange I believe ???

lol is that because the satellite 3 were planning on using was never launched?

I fear that 3 and their mates in SBI are now going to stuff you onto an already overloaded Ka band transponder on Hotbird 6 .

They will likely promise you an upgrade ...except that the 'upgrade' is not due to launch until September 2010 and will remain in test mode for 3-6 months thereafter. So if it is crap now it will be even crapper for all of 2010 and into 2011 when there is some hope. Then again it could blow up on launch or not make orbit and that means rather very crap until 2013 or 2014.

Furthermore the NW of Ireland is on the extremity of the Ka footprint from Hotbird 6 ( see graphic) which means that a rather hefty (I guess 100cm ...maybe 90cm if you are lucky ) dish will be required to deal with those little environmental issues such as rain.

13ehb6ka.gif

Good luck getting any service quality from either of 3 or SBI ( who will merrily blame each other and who of course both blame Eutelsat :( )

Even more luck will be needed getting Eamon Ryan to accept any responsibility , the arrogant little greaseball :(

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Hi Condi,

Thanks for your post...did you have much trouble convincing them that you needed the satellite option and not the mobile broadband option.

I'm in the same position, mobile broadband would be useless, but not sure how to push the issue the NBS to get the tooway option.

Thanks

If coverage is ****e despite their being live in your area then they already know that , so ring them.

Use maps.yahoo.com to get precise location of your premises ( long and lat in URL as you zoom in )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cowboy1981

Condi wrote: »
    Thanks for posting all the details Condi. Well done on pushing for the Satellite option. This is probably the only half decent service you can get from NBS.

Please let us know if the service consistently delivers the 1M/128k minimum guaranteed Down/Upload speeds. The Govt spec guarantees a maximum of 48:1 contention on satellite - this is as good as residential DSL and would give you a really excellent service, albeit with much poorer latency. However, Satellite services usually have much higher contention ratios >100, and it is hard to believe that 3 have bought this much capacity, given that they are probably losing money on every Satellite customer. You are most likely to notice the impact of contention if there is a big difference between the speed off-peak and peak times.

hjr wrote: »
    Hi Condi,

I'm in the same position, mobile broadband would be useless, but not sure how to push the issue the NBS to get the tooway option.

Thanks
    Point out to 3 that they are failing to meet the Govt guaranteed spec for the National Broadband Scam - 1.2M download, 200kbps upload, and 120ms maximum latency. If they fail on any of these specifications at any time of day, you are entitled to push for Satellite. If 3 don't co-operate, escalate to Minister for Comms, ComReg and Analysys Mason - consultants who are supposed to be monitoring the Scam.

Don't give up - ultimately they will have to give you Satellite. There is absolutely no evidence that any customer anywhere in the country has got the minimum NBS specification from 3 using the midband 3G technology - it simply doesn't work reliably enough. Every 3 customer in an NBS area should be automatically entitled to Satellite.

If you really want to improve your chances of getting Satellite, you could consider some or all the following measures,

• Plant a shelter belt of mature trees on the side of your house facing the nearest 3 mast. They will blow in the wind and any 3G signal will vanish
    • Install energy efficient double glazing (Pilkington glass) if you have a window facing the 3 mast. The metallic layer in the glass will block the 3G signal.
    • Install dry-lining with foil layer on the inside wall facing the 3 mast. (you could use tin-foil underneath wallpaper)
    • Install a high wire-mesh fence on the side of your garden between house and the 3 mast.
    • Install a small wind-generator in the line-of-sight between your house and the 3 mast. The blades will cut into the 3 signal and you won't be able to receive it reliably.
    However, I doubt that any of the above measures will be necessary. Most likely, the 3 signal will already be sufficiently lousy without doing any of these things.

cowboy1981 wrote: »
    Point out to 3 that they are failing to meet the Govt guaranteed spec for the National Broadband Scam - 1.2M download, 200kbps upload, and 120ms maximum latency. If they fail on any of these specifications at any time of day, you are entitled to push for Satellite. If 3 don't co-operate, escalate to Minister for Comms, ComReg and Analysys Mason - consultants who are supposed to be monitoring the Scam.

Don't give up - ultimately they will have to give you Satellite. There is absolutely no evidence that any customer anywhere in the country has got the minimum NBS specification from 3 using the midband 3G technology - it simply doesn't work reliably enough. Every 3 customer in an NBS area should be automatically entitled to Satellite.

If you really want to improve your chances of getting Satellite, you could consider some or all the following measures,

• Plant a shelter belt of mature trees on the side of your house facing the nearest 3 mast. They will blow in the wind and any 3G signal will vanish
    • Install energy efficient double glazing (Pilkington glass) if you have a window facing the 3 mast. The metallic layer in the glass will block the 3G signal.
    • Install dry-lining with foil layer on the inside wall facing the 3 mast. (you could use tin-foil underneath wallpaper)
    • Install a high wire-mesh fence on the side of your garden between house and the 3 mast.
    • Install a small wind-generator in the line-of-sight between your house and the 3 mast. The blades will cut into the 3 signal and you won't be able to receive it reliably.
    However, I doubt that any of the above measures will be necessary. Most likely, the 3 signal will already be sufficiently lousy without doing any of these things.

lol and most importantly if you do any of the above let us know and post pics if possible so i can LMAO :P

Condi wrote: »
    Given that the IP address is Irish, maybe they have bought a chunk of capacity specifically for NBS customers - perhaps 4Mbps. They could get 200 customers sharing this chunk of capacity before they start to drop below spec. While most NBS customers are experiencing major problems, very few probably have your perseverance in following up to the point where 3 are forced to make Satellite available. It is likely that it might be a while before they get 200 customers.

Depending on how Tooway works precisely it certainly has 500mhz down and 500mhz up from what I can see and depending on what the FEC ratio is ( overtransmission bits) they may get around roughly 1000mbits of download onto that 500mhz.

That is for all of Europe and North Africa off Hotbird 6 .

tooway-ka-band-frequency-plan.gif

If it is maxed out then the satellite feed gets really really lousy .

Digiweb do not do that to their customers but they charge accordingly . Digiweb are the only satellite reseller/capacity leaser in ireland who have not gone bankrupt either because their damn service works.

But you may all take it that three are really really hoping that the Ka Sat launch in Q3 2010 is a success before their transponder gets maxed out because they are gagging for the cheap Ka Sat bandwidth kicking in instead of the current expensive Hotbird bandwidth ( both beam from the same part of the Sky so no reconfiguration required on the customer premises )

I fear that 3 and their mates in SBI are now going to stuff you onto an already overloaded Ka band transponder on Hotbird 6 .

Furthermore the NW of Ireland is on the extremity of the Ka footprint from Hotbird 6 ( see graphic) which means that a rather hefty (I guess 100cm ...maybe 90cm if you are lucky ) dish will be required to deal with those little environmental issues such as rain.

13ehb6ka.gif

QUOTE]

Just a quick question, based on the post above: Anybody any suggestions as to the best satellite option for the north west of Ireland? I have ABB Telecom at the moment, its not that bad during offpeak, but slow during peak periods. Weekends are generally poor.

I note from the post above that SBI may not be best for the northwest either, so really just wondering which option I should try and punt for?

Thanks in advance!

Something coming in from the Atlantic , Tooway comes off a sat which is optimally placed for Europe and Donegal is the north west corner of Europe ....innit :) A big dish ...1 - 1.2m helps if you can mount it somewhere sheltered where it wont lift your chimney off.

Condi was very sensible where he/she put their one . Very well done Condi !!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks Sponebob!

I'm in Sligo so not as far north as Condi! Any suggestions of satellites coming in off the atlantic??

Thanks

Advertisement