Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

I saw this French film years back, it was like some drama/comedy (think along the lines of Amelie) about some French fella (he was heavy and didnt have any friends and I think he was simple) who takes in a young girl (she must of been about 7/8) not in a creepy way! havent seen it since, it was late on RTE one night, I reckon it was made in early 90's. One of those films you dont plan on watching through but do anyway.I always wondered what it was

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

pookiesboo wrote: »
    I saw this French film years back, it was like some drama/comedy (think along the lines of Amelie) about some French fella (he was heavy and didnt have any friends and I think he was simple) who takes in a young girl (she must of been about 7/8) not in a creepy way! havent seen it since, it was late on RTE one night, I reckon it was made in early 90's. One of those films you dont plan on watching through but do anyway.I always wondered what it was

Sounds like a Gerard Depardieu movie and I think I've seen it too but I didn't think it was in French, I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

OK the film I'm thinking of isnt French but It does sound a lot like Curly Sue?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Sounds like a Gerard Depardieu movie and I think I've seen it too but I didn't think it was in French, I could be wrong.

My Father the Hero. There was an American remake starting Depardieu as well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102465/

My Father the Hero. There was an American remake starting Depardieu as well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102465/

No Ive seen that, the girl was a lot younger and not his daughter. The plot thickens!

• Advertisement

Not Curly Sue either. I think he lived in a kind of run down bedsite type of place...

Im pretty sure it was French with subtitles also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Probably wrong but it wasnt 'Leon' was it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/

Probably wrong but it wasnt 'Leon' was it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/

Nope! Although it does read like that except for him being simple and all. But it was more a lighthearted film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭brian_t

I saw this French film years back, it was like some drama/comedy (think along the lines of Amelie) about some French fella (he was heavy and didnt have any friends and I think he was simple) who takes in a young girl (she must of been about 7/8) not in a creepy way!

The Butterfly 2002 is probably too recent.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Butterfly_(2002_film)

• Advertisement

brian_t wrote: »
    The Butterfly 2002 is probably too recent.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Butterfly_(2002_film)

Thanks but no thats not it either! Was definitely early to mid 90's I saw it so it could have been made in the 80's :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Norma_Desmond

The City of Lost Children Maybe?

"One (Ron Perlman), a former whale hunter who is as strong as a horse, sets forth to search for Denree, his little brother who was kidnapped by Krank's men. Helped by young Miette (Judith Vittet), he soon arrives in La Cite des Enfants Perdus (The City of Lost Children)."

Ron Perlman's character sounds like the man you described and he is along with a little girl. It's french and made in 1995, so maybe?

The City of Lost Children Maybe?

"One (Ron Perlman), a former whale hunter who is as strong as a horse, sets forth to search for Denree, his little brother who was kidnapped by Krank's men. Helped by young Miette (Judith Vittet), he soon arrives in La Cite des Enfants Perdus (The City of Lost Children)."

Ron Perlman's character sounds like the man you described and he is along with a little girl. It's french and made in 1995, so maybe?

Thanks but no not that either! This thing was set in a smallish town and it was all local characters who lived there as well as the the man and little girl. He looked really fat and had no hair (Or friends) and the whole thing was set in the small town. It wasnt a sinister movie, one of those he takes in an orphan and they become friends. The main guy had a touch of the Forrest Gumps to him as in he was kind of slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

There's a movie I saw around 10 years ago, been trying to remember it's name for forever because I can't remember the cast, where this couple break down in the desert, and the wife goes off with a trucker for help - then everyone claims that the wife never existed. Any ideas?

There's a movie I saw around 10 years ago, been trying to remember it's name for forever because I can't remember the cast, where this couple break down in the desert, and the wife goes off with a trucker for help - then everyone claims that the wife never existed. Any ideas?

Breakdown. With Kurt Russell

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118771/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Breakdown. With Kurt Russell

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118771/

Oh that seems to be it. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

A few years ago I remember seeing a documentary about how food is produced. I'm fairly sure that it was a German production. The documentary did not contain any music or dialogue, just raw sound and simply showed workers and machines doing routine work in factories and on farms. It was actually very interesting.

Can anyone take a guess as to what I was watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

I'll throw this one out again.

Just wondering if u know what film I'm on about. It's French language.

Saw it years ago on C4 maybe. Husband has affair with young brunette, then near end, kills her, hides her behind wall of room that is being redecorated. The wall is plastered up. Then I think he feels guilty, goes back to get the body, makes hole in wall , body not there. Can't remember the rest. It came out in the 80's I'd say and in colour. Thanks.

malene wrote: »
    I'll throw this one out again.

Maybe third time lucky !!

Channel 4 have shown some weird and wonderful films in their time especially before they became more mainstream in the mid 1990's.

A few years ago I remember seeing a documentary about how food is produced. I'm fairly sure that it was a German production. The documentary did not contain any music or dialogue, just raw sound and simply showed workers and machines doing routine work in factories and on farms. It was actually very interesting.

Can anyone take a guess as to what I was watching?

Our Daily Bread (2005)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Daily_Bread_(2005_film)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

brian_t wrote: »

That's exactly it! Great detective work!

Thanks a million,
    Hugo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

Old aliens from outer space movie, saw it early 70s-terrified me then (8yo)-scenes i remember were a boy and a woman sitting on sand and sinking into it and finding themselves in an underground cavern, some sort of glowing orb which I related to an old round neon lamp, and on which a furry claw was placed....:eek:
    I'm sure it's some B-horror, probably well known, but have never seen it since....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Silvics wrote: »
    Old aliens from outer space movie, saw it early 70s-terrified me then (8yo)-scenes i remember were a boy and a woman sitting on sand and sinking into it and finding themselves in an underground cavern, some sort of glowing orb which I related to an old round neon lamp, and on which a furry claw was placed....:eek:
    I'm sure it's some B-horror, probably well known, but have never seen it since....

Sounds a bit like: Invaders from Mars (1953 film) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invaders_from_Mars_%281953_film%29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Silvics wrote: »
    Invaders From Mars I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

Ape X wrote: »
    Thanks so much...that looks like it. Off to Amazon now!:D

And another that's eluded me-something to do with queen/woman and her tribe living underground and the most vivid part was her standing on steps as red lava flowed all round her and swallowed her up I guess...don't remember-whoever had me there had to take me out because I was screaming in terror..again-must have been early 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭s08t

Hi. I watched a film on tv one sunday. This must be about a yr and half ago. I went on google a few times to try and see what it was but to no avail. Id say the film was out in late 90's to 00's. Il explain what the films about and any help would be much appreciated:

It is about this girl in her teens and her parents are separated. Her dad takes her on a holiday to a beach house. So the film is set on a beach, they live in a beach house. The dad is tall and thin with glasses. The girl has blonde hair and starts dressing and acting older than her age. The girl wants to find a boyfriend but wants someone older and maturer than herself and tells one boy (who cheats on her) that her dad is her boyfriend just to make herself look good. So the dad plays along with it. Then at the end the dad finds a new woman and the girl finds a boy.
    Think dats it, too hard to think nw, its getting late but il write up more about it if I can think.
    Any help in thinking what the film may be called is much appreciated..thanks in advance. :):)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sounds a bit like My Father the Hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Sounds a bit like Lolita, check on IMDB

I second My Hero The Father, id recommend the original one too which was French 'Mon Pere, C'est Hero' which starred the same guy Gerard Depardieu!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭s08t

OMG, It is My father my hero, how did u's get it so fast....must of been my great explanation of it. Thank u so much Mickeroo and Pookiesboo. And Cedrus for your help too. WOO HOO Getting it out some night this wk, it is brill, very funny.

Advertisement