Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Trying to get the name of a film I watched a few years ago, it was on real late on RTE when I couldn't sleep so I hope it wasn't actually a dream.

It started with a man going to work and walking through a park to get there. There was a gang (think 3 fellas and 1 girl) hanging around and they ask him for his wallet but he runs and hides up a tree. The whole film is basically around this tree for the rest of it as the gang waits for him to come down. I can remember some other parts but hoping one of yous could know the name of it from that.

Thanks alot :)

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Trying to get the name of a film I watched a few years ago, it was on real late on RTE when I couldn't sleep so I hope it wasn't actually a dream.

It started with a man going to work and walking through a park to get there. There was a gang (think 3 fellas and 1 girl) hanging around and they ask him for his wallet but he runs and hides up a tree. The whole film is basically around this tree for the rest of it as the gang waits for him to come down. I can remember some other parts but hoping one of yous could know the name of it from that.

Thanks alot :)

It's Treed Murray also known as Get Down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

im trying track down a british film (90's i think) it has a scene with two topless girls sunbathing on top of a red brick apartment block roof area...they are both lieing down having a smoke with sunglasses i think....any ideas would be appreciated..

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can't wait to find out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My girlfriend is always talking about a movie she saw in which this family lived in a neighbourhood but were secretly aliens, and I think....cats? revealed their true identity as they frightened them so much....anyone any remote ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,193 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My girlfriend is always talking about a movie she saw in which this family lived in a neighbourhood but were secretly aliens, and I think....cats? revealed their true identity as they frightened them so much....anyone any remote ideas?

Coneheads I reckon?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106598/

Just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JustPaddy1

Yeah i was thinking of conehead

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Stray_Cat

Sounds like Sleepwalkers
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105428/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Purdude

Hey looking for irish short film from about ten twelve years ago. It was about the leaving cert irish oral. Everyone is awful and its hilarious. Cant remember the name though.

Hope you guys can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Purdude wrote: »
    Hey looking for irish short film from about ten twelve years ago. It was about the leaving cert irish oral. Everyone is awful and its hilarious. Cant remember the name though.

Hope you guys can help.

Not sure if it's this one or not, but ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Im looking for the name of a film i saw a couple of years back about two guys and two girls and a dog who go around haunted castles and the likes in a Mystery Camper van.Could really doo with finding out thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Im looking for the name of a film i saw a couple of years back about two guys and two girls and a dog who go around haunted castles and the likes in a Mystery Camper van.Could really doo with finding out thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgee3IGYZsU

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

Purdude wrote: »

Hope you guys can help.

I only know because a friend was in it, and we were able to derail class by demanding to watch this :D It is quite funny and worth the watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Coneheads I reckon?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106598/

Just a guess.

Don't think Coneheads, as this was a very adult movie, she reckoned there was incest elements to relationship between the alien/supernatural family in the film, so the summary of sleepwalkers actually does fit the bill perfectly....apart from maybe the cat part, though I'll check it out, best lead I've gotten so far...thanks guys. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Right,

I have posted the below query in All Things Retro, but billymitchell
    recommended a post here for your fellas skills in this area :

Does anyone remember this film from the 80's / early 90's.

It was about a man in America, who meets this woman from another planet.

She is dressed in red. Her her is kind of slicked back.

She takes him to a Planetarium to show him her home planet using a red laser pointer.

Then they go outside and she make it start to snow.

That's all I can remember! Any ideas?

It is definitely not "My Stepmother is an Alien"

Thanks
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Don't think Coneheads, as this was a very adult movie, she reckoned there was incest elements to relationship between the alien/supernatural family in the film, so the summary of sleepwalkers actually does fit the bill perfectly....apart from maybe the cat part, though I'll check it out, best lead I've gotten so far...thanks guys. :)

I remember them turning into cat type creatures in this movie so it more than likely is this one.
    Plot summary
    Charles Brady and his mother Mary are Sleepwalkers — nomadic, shapeshifting energy vampires who feed off the lifeforce of virgin women. Though they normally maintain a human form, they can transform (partially or fully) into human-sized bipedal werecats (presumably their natural form) at will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Right,

I have posted the below query in All Things Retro, but billymitchell
    recommended a post here for your fellas skills in this area :

Does anyone remember this film from the 80's / early 90's.

It was about a man in America, who meets this woman from another planet.

She is dressed in red. Her her is kind of slicked back.

She takes him to a Planetarium to show him her home planet using a red laser pointer.

Then they go outside and she make it start to snow.

That's all I can remember! Any ideas?

It is definitely not "My Stepmother is an Alien"

Thanks
    B
    Starcrossed?

Sorry if the youtube link doesn't work, can't remember if you drop the v or what and my computer won't preview it. Here's the youtube link anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3CuD8PYSmI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Originally Posted by TerrorFirmer

When you mentioned people shapeshifting into cats I thought of this version of the 1942 classic, Cat People (1982) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083722/
    It has a great title theme called "Putting Out the Fire", Music Written by Giorgio Moroder, Lyrics Written and Performed by David Bowie.

Starcrossed?

Sorry if the youtube link doesn't work, can't remember if you drop the v or what and my computer won't preview it. Here's the youtube link anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3CuD8PYSmI

Yes! That's the one! Thank you so much for putting that to rest! :pac:

I hope someday I can return the favour. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

It was on as part of sci fis kung fu christmas, just saw this scene with this invincible black guy who was seemingly a kung master and was beating up this other kung fu expert. Was quite scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

It was on as part of sci fis kung fu christmas, just saw this scene with this invincible black guy who was seemingly a kung master and was beating up this other kung fu expert. Was quite scary.
    December 17th - Project A, followed by Game of Death
    December 18th - The Big Boss
    December 19th - Fist of Fury
    December 20th - Police Story, followed by Police Story 2
    December 21st - Armour of God, followed by The Myth
    December 24th - Double Impact
    December 25th - The Drunken Master
    That's seems to be the Kung Fu Christmas schedule for syfy, so it should be one of those.

Most likely is Game of Death.

I've got a really tricky one here.

It is an American film from the early 1990s.

I think it was a made for TV job.

It was about a man and a woman who were recovering drug addicts.

The man got a job in a cinema. His old drug dealer comes to see him
    to try to tempt him back to doing drugs.

The woman has very blonde hair. If you saw her, you'd say she was Swedish-looking.

She is a nurse. She collapses in work and it is discovered she is using drugs.

I don't remember if the needle marks are discovered on her arms, or if
    they find bottles of drugs in her pockets when they are trying to revive her.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

This one is really wrecking my head and can't find it anywhere.

Basically it's about a couple who go out horse riding one day and the woman falls off the horse and hits her head. Her husband or partner then kills her but makes everyone believe it was a horse accident. Later the family discover the truth and the husband goes on the run. I think it's based on a true story and it's quite an old film. Seem it many years ago so it might be a bit muggled up, sorry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

jinxycat wrote: »
    This one is really wrecking my head and can't find it anywhere.

Basically it's about a couple who go out horse riding one day and the woman falls off the horse and hits her head. Her husband or partner then kills her but makes everyone believe it was a horse accident. Later the family discover the truth and the husband goes on the run. I think it's based on a true story and it's quite an old film. Seem it many years ago so it might be a bit muggled up, sorry!!!

That sounds like one of those true movies I saw a while ago. The husband had given his young wife an injection of some kind...that either led to her falling off the horse and banging her head on a rock or he just placed her on the ground arranged in such a way as to indicate a fall from the horse. It took detectives years to get a conviction. I think he injected her with some kind of horse tranquilizer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I'm very impressed with the film identification skills of posters in this forum (e.g. Starcrossed above).

Here's one I've wondered about on and off for quite a while.

All I can remember is a tiny fragment, so probably not enough to go on. The bit I can recall is a dramatic moment though, so that might trigger someone's memory.

It's a film from the 1970s I think. Was in the cinema, not made for TV. US crime drama.

The scene I can recall was from the end, or towards the end, of the film.

It's an interior, possibly a boat or a cabin. One of the characters is moving towards the source of a loud clicking sound, and we know that there is going to be a dramatic revelation. What we see may be the character's POV.

He enters a room and we discover the source of the sound. It's that of a (pump-action?) shotgun, and the person holding it is only a boy. He has just killed someone.

What has stuck in my mind is that clicking sound, the gradual revelation that it was a gun, and the shock that the shooter was just a boy.

I thought it might be Macon County Line (1974) but I haven't been able to determine that for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

Ann22 that's it, but can't think of the name of the film, have been looking for it ages now and can't get it. Anyone got any ideas???

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,193 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I'm very impressed with the film identification skills of posters in this forum (e.g. Starcrossed above).

Here's one I've wondered about on and off for quite a while.

All I can remember is a tiny fragment, so probably not enough to go on. The bit I can recall is a dramatic moment though, so that might trigger someone's memory.

It's a film from the 1970s I think. Was in the cinema, not made for TV. US crime drama.

The scene I can recall was from the end, or towards the end, of the film.

It's an interior, possibly a boat or a cabin. One of the characters is moving towards the source of a loud clicking sound, and we know that there is going to be a dramatic revelation. What we see may be the character's POV.

He enters a room and we discover the source of the sound. It's that of a (pump-action?) shotgun, and the person holding it is only a boy. He has just killed someone.

What has stuck in my mind is that clicking sound, the gradual revelation that it was a gun, and the shock that the shooter was just a boy.

I thought it might be Macon County Line (1974) but I haven't been able to determine that for sure.

Not seen Macon County Line but that could be it I think after reading the synopsis in this review: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/33142/macon-county-line/

Give that read and it might jog your memory :)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not seen Macon County Line but that could be it I think after reading the synopsis in this review: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/33142/macon-county-line/

Give that read and it might jog your memory :)

That's the one all right. Many thanks for the link to the detailed synopsis with spoiler included. :)

All the key details are there, including a reference to similarities with the houseboat sequence in Cape Fear.

• Advertisement

By coincidence, this film (apparently a very successful low-budget independent minor classic) is due a re-release of some sort in summer 2011.

Fans of the Beverly Hillbillies will recognise Max Baer Jr. below.

Baer wrote and produced Macon County Line, in which he played Deputy Reed Morgan. It was the highest-grossing movie per dollar invested at the time. Made for just US$110,000, it earned almost US$25 million at the box office. This record would last until it was broken by The Blair Witch Project in 1999.

Advertisement