Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taximen suicides

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

all im saying is.... go compare ..... and judge for yourself .

Ahh relax..jees louise !!! appropriate user name !!! :D

I have compared prices from my job to airport, using both 8202020 and the rank at St Green and it is cheaper to use 8202020..just saying !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

mockler007 wrote: »
    ones pastey, and ones dark, sorted on how you tell the difference

one assumes one is joking....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

gaz wac wrote: »
    Ahh relax..jees louise !!! appropriate user name !!! :D

I have compared prices from my job to airport, using both 8202020 and the rank at St Green and it is cheaper to use 8202020..just saying !!
    who,s louise ???a 82020 happy customer
    thank you for your input but do you not think , its so immature to start with the snide remarks .and i suppose you thought it would be even better to finish with the just saying !! real class ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

who,s louise ???a 82020 happy customer
    thank you for your input but do you not think , its so immature to start with the snide remarks .and i suppose you thought it would be even better to finish with the just saying !! real class ;)

And your post is bringing what to this thread :confused:

real class ??

"then please just keep your mouth shut or your grubby little fingers away from the keypad .mad.gif "

Pot - kettle - black ? Jees you really dont like anyone going against your
    opinion do you !! :rolleyes:

Im done !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

smccarrick wrote: »
    They can and do refuse to take you- if you don't take the taxi at the top of the queue. I even witnessed a taximan on Dawson Street being assaulted by another taximan for taking 'his fare' (I stayed at the scene and made a statement to a Garda on behalf of the poor guy).

Its all well and good the Taxi Regulator having wonderful rules and codes of conduct- unfortunately they bear very little reality with whats happening on the ground.

I expect to the scraps like this between drivers becoming more frequent as fares go down and financially induced stress goes up.

While they may indeed try it on, it is in fact an offence to refuse a passenger unreasonably , so they don't actually have any right to do so. The law is on the consumer's side but most aren't aware of that or just take the quieter option (I'd probably do the same unless cranky). It probably goes against a lot of peoples' nature to insist on their rights and report the driver if he persists in refusing.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2007/en/si/0710.html
    9. The driver of a taxi or a wheelchair accessible taxi who is plying for hire or standing for hire shall not unreasonably refuse to carry a passenger where that passenger’s proposed journey is not more than 30 kilometres in distance from the commencement of the journey.
    and is subject to a €250 fixed penalty charge
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2007/en/si/0722.html

• Advertisement

And your post is bringing what to this thread :confused:

real class ??

"then please just keep your mouth shut or your grubby little fingers away from the keypad .mad.gif "

Pot - kettle - black ? Jees you really dont like anyone going against your
    opinion do you !! :rolleyes:

Im done !
    where as this thread has drifted off course .i was giving the posters some advise on the questions and queries they posed .
    all you had to reply was to the fact that you got a taxi from 82020 and it worked our cheaper than one off a rank .
    there was no need for the snide remark about user name or trying to be funny [way off the mark there ] .on you part or the other people who like taking the cheap shots at the hard working taxi drivers out there .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

From my experience, English drivers know where they are going better than Irish drivers TBH.

They are also more inclined to carry satnav if they don't know where they are going and it has gottent a lot better in Ireland now a days.

Irish drivers seem to assume they know the area and end up in problems later on. I don't take taxi's often though so I'm not going to act like this is anything but my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

no2 im an irish taxi driver so am i a scumbag ?
    no3 i dont drive a banger although the standards are dropping due to the inept regulator .
    Never said you were. If you have a nice looking new car, with a nice GPS, I'll assume you'll go the entire route at 50km/h (on the duel carraigeway), as opposed to actually knowing where to go, and fast. If I wanted to take my time, I'd get the f**king bus. If I get into a not-so-white taxi, with someone with a heavy dublin accent, they, 9 out of 10 times, they know where the place I'm going to is, and that you can go 80km/h on the duel carraigeway. If they don't, I just have to mention what was there a while back, and they'll know where I mean.

If I get a "dub" with a country accent, I'm given the scenic route, along the busy f**king road, whilst the meter goes up (as opposed the road parallel to the busy road). If I get a black taxi man, he'll go the longest way around. Sure, I'll get there, but the fafe going from Drumcondra train station to Swords has differed by €20.

the_syco wrote: »
    Never said you were. If you have a nice looking new car, with a nice GPS, I'll assume you'll go the entire route at 50km/h (on the duel carraigeway), as opposed to actually knowing where to go, and fast. If I wanted to take my time, I'd get the f**king bus. If I get into a not-so-white taxi, with someone with a heavy dublin accent, they, 9 out of 10 times, they know where the place I'm going to is, and that you can go 80km/h on the duel carraigeway. If they don't, I just have to mention what was there a while back, and they'll know where I mean.

The sat nav bit doesn't make any sense :confused:

For one thing modern sat navs can be programmed to take fastest route or to bias for main roads when selecting route so its up to the driver.

Anyone that reads road signs won't be going 50 in an 80 zone. I don't understand what your getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Now if only they could see that :rolleyes:. give me a taxi over a bus anyday, but €4.50 ( somthing like that) before we even move......nope !!

Actually 4.10 day time or 4.45 for 1st km or first 170 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The ONLY time I ever have a problem with a taxi driver is when he refuses to shut up - i.e. taking trying to be friendly to me too far. Or, from a different point of view, when I have the misfortune to be driving and have cause to curse wildly and uncontrollably at them , which is about half the cabs I see given their driving is generally crap - but then so is mine, probably. As a CUSTOMER though, I've never had reason to find fault and in all fairness, they are having s **** time of it at the mo' so I'd probably forgive a bit of moaning but there's never any.

And for those that don't know me, I'm a fussy prick.

its 8202020 . but if you do use them they will charge you a call out charge of €2 on top of the fare so why only get what would be a most a 10% discount when all you have to do is walk outside and wait a minute .

heres a little experiment to do .
    ring in a soo called discount taxi .then when taking a taxi home get one from a rank nearby where you got dropped off .ask to take the exact same route you took in . then compare the fares . i bet theres not 20% difference in the two ;)

ur talking bulll first off you got your starting fare prices wrong.
    I work for 820 and it's taxi drivers like u that are pissed at us actually doing something to keep customers by offering a discount. I bet u that u wouldn't offer any discount.

You can only Blane yourself for not paying a radio fee as your to tight and ur kind are the ppl saying ya can't make a living anymore

How can you say 20 percent discount on an airport call doesn't save you money.
    I got a job on the radio 2 hours ago that the total was just under 75 after the discount it was just under 60 I was handed 65 people are loosing there jobs and appreciate people offering discounts to save some money.
    Why don't you offer any discount may I ask

sdonn wrote: »
    The ONLY time I ever have a problem with a taxi driver is when he refuses to shut up - i.e. taking trying to be friendly to me too far. Or, from a different point of view, when I have the misfortune to be driving and have cause to curse wildly and uncontrollably at them , which is about half the cabs I see given their driving is generally crap - but then so is mine, probably. As a CUSTOMER though, I've never had reason to find fault and in all fairness, they are having s **** time of it at the mo' so I'd probably forgive a bit of moaning but there's never any

And for those that don't know me, I'm a fussy prick.

ah were lonely sitting in the car on our own for so long. Our customers are the o my human contact we have so talk a lot of crap lol.
    Mind u customers are just as bad with chatting the things they tell u can be bizarre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Rarely get a taxi and in laws told me they got a taxi at 4am (call out) to take them 3km and were charged €13.

No sympathy for taxi drivers as their solution is to limit the taxis and go back to the way it was.

2 big problems with the industry: too expensive to take a ride and too many taxis in Dublin on a Saturday night (anyone see Camden Street - its like a car park).

Anyways, thats off topic - suicides - probably because they have to work 14+ hours a day 6-7 days a week. Its no life for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

The having to work 14 hour day's for 6 day's a week thing is a myth. Yes some drivers work those hours to make 1200 euro+ a week but you can easily pull in 600-700 euro just doing a basic 45 hour week. Two of my mates drive taxi's so that's whre my info is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The problem with taxi business is that as a deregulated enterprise it's designed to be self-limiting - i.e. when the market reaches saturation point people stop bothering. But not in Ireland - people like sheep continue to pump their lumps of cash into cars and plates and the situation isn't helped by people being allowed come in from any country in the world and achieve a much lower standard in the already basic test.

People need to get real and lose the plate if you're not doing well. Get the dole, rent allowance and it'll be money well spent to get the bus lanes freed back up for fúcking buses. The whole business of taxi driving being exclusive to those who could afford 80k for a plate may not have been perfect but surely there's a compromise between it and this shíte.

The first thing to do to pushstart the self-regulating idea starts with the Gardaí - cabs parking on double yellows, queueing down the city streets at night, being general arses, driving in the bus lane without a fare - €80 fine. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Bandit12 wrote: »
    The having to work 14 hour day's for 6 day's a week thing is a myth. Yes some drivers work those hours to make 1200 euro+ a week but you can easily pull in 600-700 euro just doing a basic 45 hour week. Two of my mates drive taxi's so that's whre my info is coming from.

Is this before or after expenses?

blahblah06 wrote: »
    ur talking bulll first off you got your starting fare prices wrong.
    I work for 820 and it's taxi drivers like u that are pissed at us actually doing something to keep customers by offering a discount. I bet u that u wouldn't offer any discount.

You can only Blane yourself for not paying a radio fee as your to tight and ur kind are the ppl saying ya can't make a living anymore

i have just got a warning from victor for asking people to stop taking cheap shots at taxi drivers by calling them "scumbags " ect . :D
    i am not talking bull in what i am saying about these discount taxi companies . wether i offer a discount to any customer or not is up to ME not some radio company that YOUR paying over €100 a week to .whos only interest is to get as many cars a possible on its books it can .
    i have better things to do with €100 than keep those guys making money off drivers backs .

i know all the little tricks thats used by these discount drivers to ramp up the fare . thats why i said go compare .
    dont tell your granny how to suck eggs ;)
    im glad to see that theres atleast one taxi driver out there happy with the situtation we,re in atm .
    im finished here anyways . i had enough of this moderator bullsh1t .
    [dont bother handing out the ban here victor this account is being asked to be deleted . ]

Id rather pay the 100 euro to my cab company who will keep me going with plenty of work cash and account and it puts the food on the table and I dont come back with a gripe about the business. Im happy I have a job and im happy to offer 20% off to customers.

I choose to stay with said cab company because I like the work and no stress of blocking traffic around city roads. Gets jobs of th radio and get the hell out of the **** hole that is town with all the cabs around.

I wonder did the guys that commited suicide work with a company or not.. the mind ponders

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

MaceFace wrote: »
    Is this before or after expenses?
    After

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Id rather pay the 100 euro to my cab company who will keep me going with plenty of work cash and account and it puts the food on the table and I dont come back with a gripe about the business. Im happy I have a job and im happy to offer 20% off to customers.

I choose to stay with said cab company because I like the work and no stress of blocking traffic around city roads. Gets jobs of th radio and get the hell out of the **** hole that is town with all the cabs around.

I wonder did the guys that commited suicide work with a company or not.. the mind ponders
    1 of them did

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

at the end of the day this thread was about 4 men takeing there own lives it don't matter if they are taxi man or not and this thread turned into a rant about taxi drivers and yes i am a taxi driver in case u where wondering u should all hang ur heads cos 4 men are dead and they have familys.

Sorry not as selfish to hang any part of myself in this world as other ppl are. There is always someone worse off. Shame on them

Bandit12 wrote: »
    After

Lol well that's a lie if ever I heard it. After fuel, insurance, health life insurance, car maintenace and the rest you think he is clearing that? Ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

can we get back on topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭gdael

Suicides happen in every walk of life. Pointing out some tax drivers who committed suicide is no different to pointing out anyone else who does it.

Perhaps they should have sought medical help. Or got different jobs. Or maybe they had problems we dont know about.

james116 wrote: »
    at the end of the day this thread was about 4 men takeing there own lives it don't matter if they are taxi man or not and this thread turned into a rant about taxi drivers and yes i am a taxi driver in case u where wondering u should all hang ur heads cos 4 men are dead and they have familys.

Well it was naturally going to turn into a debate on why they did it.

As they are known to be taxi drivers, it was clearly going to go that way.

In reality we can't ask them why they did it as they've gone and killed themselves so if your thinking about it and reading this, bloody speak up about whats going on and don't do something irreversible.

Always another option and bankruptcy is no reason to kill ones self. Plenty of help available for those brave enough to admit they need it. Hell its anonymous online, what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

mockler007 wrote: »
    ones pastey, and ones dark, sorted on how you tell the difference

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Im sure there was more to these deaths rather than them being taxi drivers and fed up with the industry. Im sure there are others in diffrent professions who have killed themselves in this country but we dont see articles in papers questioning their industry.
    It was just a coincidence that all 4 were taxi drivers .

Advertisement