Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taximen suicides

Options
  • 23-09-2009 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Read an article in today's herald about 3 possibly 4 taximen suicides in the space of one week. It went on to say, long time sitting waiting for clients or business leads to brooding and thinking about stuff, the ecconomic climate not helping. My heart goes out to the families of course, but do ye think the ecconomic climate is having its toll on taximen, does this brooding lead to suicide, are they getting a rough deal or have they priced themselves out of their own game...or is the herald a pile of thrash!..discuss

Comments

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Taximen do not set the prices , The Government have set the charges for taxi fares in this country .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

sharkman wrote: »
    Taximen do not set the prices , The Government have set the charges for taxi fares in this country .

My local cab company give a 25% discount on the clock price on prebooked fares.

I'd use cabs a lot more- if-

1. They didn't make it so obvious that they hadn't a vague clue as to where they were going.
    2. I didn't feel like I'd just been robbed when they add 8-10 different add-ons on the clock.

I go out of my way to try to make sure that I use an Irish driver- on the basis that they just might have an idea of where they're going, and not rely on GPS systems with out of date maps. After that I'd try to get in a well cared for car- as they're less likely to scare the living daylights out of me with their driving.

Above all else- the biggest reason I don't get more taxicabs- is simply because I can't afford them. If they were more reasonable- I'd be more than happy to pay- but I just can't justify ridiculous cab fares.......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If I was guaranteed one of the nice courteous drivers with road manners, then I'd use them far more often. I see so many pigs cutting up everyone on the road though (and being in cars with the same praying that we wouldn't be in a crash) that it puts me off the profession as a whole. I feel sorry for the few remaining gents (and ladies!).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

My local cab company give a 25% discount on the clock price on prebooked fares
    - but do they charge you a pick-up fee ??
    I'd use cabs a lot more- if-

1. They didn't make it so obvious that they hadn't a vague clue as to where they were going.
    2. I didn't feel like I'd just been robbed when they add 8-10 different add-ons on the clock.
    1 - if you think he doesn't know where you're going, don't get in !
    2 - only add-on is €1 / per extra passenger with you - NOTHING ELSE !
    I go out of my way to try to make sure that I use an Irish driver- on the basis that they just might have an idea of where they're going, and not rely on GPS systems with out of date maps. After that I'd try to get in a well cared for car- as they're less likely to scare the living daylights out of me with their driving.

Irish driver, clean Merc / Lexus = good trip , anything else can = PROBLEM !
    Above all else- the biggest reason I don't get more taxicabs- is simply because I can't afford them. If they were more reasonable- I'd be more than happy to pay- but I just can't justify ridiculous cab fares

SOMETIMES a taxi can be good value depending on your requirments - if 4 people at a bus stop agreed a common destination, then if could be cheaper / quicker than the bus, and seemingly it costs the taxi driver €150 every time the meter has to be adjusted for new fares :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

taxi drivers are a dying breed hopefully if we ever get a decent public transport system we wont have to use them anymore i'd happily use taxis more often if the drivers were more courteous ,treated the paying customers better,and actually could understand me without trying to explain to me that they dont speak much english,and drove safely not agressively as if they have priority over everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Problem with the above points is you rarely get to choose. Hailing one down on the street is generally a matter of luck and at the ranks they insist you get in the car at the front of the queue.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

sharkman wrote: »

Wrong, the Government only set the maximum fares, taximen are free to charge lower prices if they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Colpriz wrote: »
    or is the herald a pile of thrash!

I would go for this option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Wrong, the Government only set the maximum fares, taximen are free to charge lower prices if they want.

So this is my point about taxi greed, if they opted for lower prices we would all consider them as option to a destination

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Stark wrote: »
    Problem with the above points is you rarely get to choose. Hailing one down on the street is generally a matter of luck and at the ranks they insist you get in the car at the front of the queue.

If you're hailing one down then presumably you can take time to get a glimpse at it before you stick your hand out, not ideal I know but it does give you some choice. Even when it stops you still have the right to reject it if you want. It'll pi55 off the driver big-time but hey.

When at the rank just open the door and get into the taxi of your choice, that's your entitlement as a consumer. Once you're in, the driver cannot refuse to take you if your destination is within 30Km and you're not disorderly.
    http://www.taxiregulator.ie/consumer/consumer-FAQs/consumer-FAQs.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

il put it simply.

id feel sorry for them if they wern't such w@nkers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

slimjimmc wrote: »
    If you're hailing one down then presumably you can take time to get a glimpse at it before you stick your hand out, not ideal I know but it does give you some choice. Even when it stops you still have the right to reject it if you want. It'll pi55 off the driver big-time but hey.

When at the rank just open the door and get into the taxi of your choice, that's your entitlement as a consumer. Once you're in, the driver cannot refuse to take you if your destination is within 30Km and you're not disorderly.
    http://www.taxiregulator.ie/consumer/consumer-FAQs/consumer-FAQs.html

They can and do refuse to take you- if you don't take the taxi at the top of the queue. I even witnessed a taximan on Dawson Street being assaulted by another taximan for taking 'his fare' (I stayed at the scene and made a statement to a Garda on behalf of the poor guy).

Its all well and good the Taxi Regulator having wonderful rules and codes of conduct- unfortunately they bear very little reality with whats happening on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

Read an article in today's herald about 3 possibly 4 taximen suicides in the space of one week. It went on to say, long time sitting waiting for clients or business leads to brooding and thinking about stuff, the ecconomic climate not helping. My heart goes out to the families of course, but do ye think the ecconomic climate is having its toll on taximen, does this brooding lead to suicide, are they getting a rough deal or have they priced themselves out of their own game...or is the herald a pile of thrash!..discuss

I notice a lot of the new taxi drivers pass the time by studying the Koran, it certainly beats brooding on depressing issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Survival of the fittest and all that, I couldn't care less, as long as they don't decide to take some innocent out in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Onkle wrote: »
    I would go for this option

me too (although Im intrigued to know how a potential passenger can tell if a driver is Irish or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

smk89 wrote: »
    il put it simply.

id feel sorry for them if they wern't such w@nkers
    another classy poster :mad::mad::mad:
    saddens me to see that people like this are the future of this country :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

So this is my point about taxi greed, if they opted for lower prices we would all consider them as option to a destination

Now if only they could see that :rolleyes:. give me a taxi over a bus anyday, but €4.50 ( somthing like that) before we even move......nope !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

corktina wrote: »
    me too (although Im intrigued to know how a potential passenger can tell if a driver is Irish or not...

politically correct nonsense

i posted a thread here some time ago telling passengers the things to look out for when getting into a taxi [couldnt be assed rooting for it atm]

on the taxis being too expensive
    did you know that a taxi from the city center to dublin airport costs between €20 to €24
    aircoach charge €8 a head .so three or four passengers would save by getting a taxi .plus getting there direct .
    a taxi from the city center to lets say dundrum sc costs between €15 to €17 .the nite link bus charges €5 a head and drops away from alot of estates .
    there is a misconseption that taxis are expensive [well they are if travelling alone ] but a group of friends would save and be safer [door to door ] .
    how to avoid getting a taxi that you might think the driver dos,nt know where he,s going .
    use your mouths .
    hail the taxi , sit in and then say "good evening john ,mike , mohammid ,driver."
    [you can find his name on the id ] if one is,nt on full display .then tell him this and get out .then and there .
    "excuse me i would like to go to dundrum please via milltown .do you know the route ? " .
    the driver if you are [happy enough with the answer] should then and only then engage the meter . a starting rate of €3.80 daytime or €4.10 night time . the only extras are €1 per passenger AFTER THE FIRST .
    SO THE METER SHOULD READ €4.10 if alone . and €1 extra per passenger .

if enroute you feel that the driver is playing the radio too loud ,or talking on his phone . ask him to lower the radio ,or "could he please not be talking on his phone while your in his car "
    if the above is met with abuse .ask to stop at your local garda station [you should know where that is ] and go in and report the driver .
    so basically folks use your mouths .
    on the other side when you engage a taxi
    NO its not a takeaway .where you can eat that burger on the way home .
    NO you cant smoke even if you open the window .
    NO you cant finish off your pint that you smuggled out of the club and into the taxi .
    NO you cant start happy slapping your mate in the front seat .
    NO you cant have that row with your GF and expect the driver to take sides .
    NO the back seat is not for foreplay .
    NO taxis do not carry sick bags .
    if everyone from both sides just observed a few simple rules then we would all get on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

gaz wac wrote: »
    but €4.50 ( somthing like that) before we even move......nope !!
    Complained to the taxi regulator about this once. I got picked up from the taxi's headquaters, and thus they're allowed to charge me the pickup charge... it seems only if you flag down a taxi on the street, do you start off with a zero charge.

Me, I usually pick the Irish scumbags driving bangers when in Dublin. They tend to know where they're going, or at least the rough location, so they'll take a shortcut there, and not follow the GPS along the "extra €5 way".

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    ... it seems only if you flag down a taxi on the street, do you start off with a zero charge.
    ".

you sure :confused: never happens to me !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I need a taxi for later, anyone know the company that advertise on the radio that are offering 20% off?

the_syco wrote: »
    Complained to the taxi regulator about this once. I got picked up from the taxi's headquaters, and thus they're allowed to charge me the pickup charge... it seems only if you flag down a taxi on the street, do you start off with a zero charge.

Me, I usually pick the Irish scumbags driving bangers when in Dublin. They tend to know where they're going, or at least the rough location, so they'll take a shortcut there, and not follow the GPS along the "extra €5 way".
    another classy poster :mad:
    no1 the meter NEVER STARTS AT ZERO .
    no2 im an irish taxi driver so am i a scumbag ?
    no3 i dont drive a banger although the standards are dropping due to the inept regulator .
    no 4 please put your brain in gear[ if its still functioning ] before trying to respond to a post

how could you forget that ad !! 8 20 20 20 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

corktina wrote: »

ones pastey, and ones dark, sorted on how you tell the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭gdael

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I need a taxi for later, anyone know the company that advertise on the radio that are offering 20% off?

http://www.8202020.ie/

Phone : 01 8202020

Have it on speed dial. Though i rarely get taxis anymore. Too expensive.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    its 8202020 . but if you do use them they will charge you a call out charge of €2 on top of the fare so why only get what would be a most a 10% discount when all you have to do is walk outside and wait a minute .

heres a little experiment to do .
    ring in a soo called discount taxi .then when taking a taxi home get one from a rank nearby where you got dropped off .ask to take the exact same route you took in . then compare the fares . i bet theres not 20% difference in the two ;)

A taxi man telling you not to use a cheaper competitor :confused: what ever next :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭gdael

its 8202020 . but if you do use them they will charge you a call out charge of €2 on top of the fare so why only get what would be a most a 10% discount when all you have to do is walk outside and wait a minute .

heres a little experiment to do .
    ring in a soo called discount taxi .then when taking a taxi home get one from a rank nearby where you got dropped off .ask to take the exact same route you took in . then compare the fares . i bet theres not 20% difference in the two ;)

So you agree, its cheaper, no?
    Reminds me of the Broadband salesman when i pited out to him that my current provider was cheaper.
    "Sure its only a few quid" he says.
    I replied, "Sure why dont i just stay with them and you can come and collect the difference from me every month".

• Advertisement

all im saying is.... go compare ..... and judge for yourself .
    and as for the smartasses [not you poster ]
    im trying to be helpful here and if you dont want another prospective view on how to use a taxi from a legit professional point of view ,then please just keep your mouth shut or your grubby little fingers away from the keypad .:mad:

Advertisement