Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ares I-X Rocket's Test Launch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,114 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

John mac wrote: »
    why can't they launch through a small bit of cloud?

( don't the jets flying around produce cloud ) :)

think its the triboelectricification effect
    The triboelectrification Flight Rule can come into effect under cloud cover conditions of 5/8 or greater when the clouds are “above the 14 deg F level up to the altitude at which the vehicle’s velocity exceeds 3000 ft/sec,” notes the I-X Weather Launch Commit Criteria.
    http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2009/10/live-ares-i-x-ready-for-opening-launch-attempt/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,114 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Delays this morning, lots of testing after lightning sticks last night

earliest launch time 13:15 but probably later (maybe around 14:30)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

New Launch Time: 10:30 a.m. EDT (14:30 GMT)
    Wed, 28 Oct 2009 01:11:31 PM GMT

Although the Ares I-X rocket is in good shape and ready to fly, the weather just is not cooperating with the launch team for the 9:15 a.m. liftoff time. The range still is "red," or "no-go," due to the threat of triboelectrification. The team now is aiming for liftoff at 10:30 a.m., when Launch Weather Officer Kathy Winters expects a better possibility of a break in the clouds. All our other weather constraints are "green," or favorable, and there are no problems being discussed regarding the rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Bumped to 11:00am EDT so thats 15:00 GMT

Window is until 12:00 am EDT

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Conor108 wrote: »
    Bumped to 11:00am EDT so thats 15:00 GMT

Window is until 12:00 am EDT
    15:00 looking good!

• Advertisement

Red on triboelectrification:(

Looks like a no-go for 15:00

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

postboned by 15mins

Moved out to 15:20 now

15:30 now...

• Advertisement

Thats 15:30 GMT right?

Edit: Ah of course it is :)

Yeah sorry

Looking good now:)

T-4 and COUNTING!:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

WOOHOO,Clean launch,Atlantis still in one piece!:D

Upper stage water impact confirmed.

Now September 2013 for Ares I-Y :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just saw the launch on Sky News, loved the way the supersonic shockwave formed over the upper stage, never saw that in any shuttle launches before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've been following this since yesterday and after all the false starts/weather problems/stupid boats etc it was great to see it lift off. After the engine testing last month I was really looking forward to the ignition at lift off, and it did not disappoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

lord lucan wrote: »
    WOOHOO,Clean launch,Atlantis still in one piece!:D

Lol You mercenary LL! So long as STS-129 is ok Huh?

That WAS exciting once it became a real possibility the Ares-1x would launch.
    I watched on Spaceflight now and at the moment they are saying the seperation did not look like NASA,s pre-flight animation and are still panicking as to whether the Chutes worked.
    No doubt the post-flight conference will make it all clear as mud!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The two stages looked pretty close just after separation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Finally caught up to this :)

Gotta say that was one elegant looking launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ynotdu wrote: »
    Lol You mercenary LL! So long as STS-129 is ok Huh

Hell Yeah! Ares has many years ahead of it,didn't want it screwing up STS-129!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Saw the launch just there. Missed it this morning. Is there any footage that shows the launch all the way until the rocket stage hit water?

jumpguy wrote: »
    Saw the launch just there. Missed it this morning. Is there any footage that shows the launch all the way until the rocket stage hit water?

They lost live coverage just after the drouge parachute opened.
    Saw the press confrence and they said the recovery ships had not spotted the main chutes.
    They also said there were some 'dynamics' after seperation they do not yet understand.

{I reckon the recovery ships stayed in port,saying "friggin NASA and it's first launch attempts" "those guys will proably overshoot and land without chutes on our middeck:eek::D}

Overall though the Ares 1-x managers were Very happy campers today post flight and are sure that the lower stage with the all important sensors are in the Ocean safe:)

Has the stage not been recovered yet then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Ares I-X booster recovery, from NASAs twitter
    booster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Lol You mercenary LL! So long as STS-129 is ok Huh?

Lol ynotdu ;) poor LL be a nervous wreak after this week :D haha

Your bags all packed now LL ??

I had my fingers crossed for you today !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The upper stage started tumbling visibly, that's going to worry the engineers. They'll have to do a fair bit of redesign on it.

Malty T I agree with You,the Launch DID look elegant!

Evilmonkey:What a Great pictute TY!{where are the remnants of the Chutes though?:eek:,You trying to give the CT,s more fodder?:D

Stargate,Yeah that Lord Lucan guy is going to be 'our'reporter on the scene' he is willing to Stay until hell freeze's over or STS-129 Launch's{whichever comes first!So long as We send money to him by paypal!:)}

In the meantime Where is BEEKER?He Started this thread?

My guess is he is on a cargo ship to the USA and will be sitting alongside LL at 129's launch:D,{ "STS is Mine says BeeKer,Ya Can't have ANY:mad: Lol}

Confab Yeah there is no doubt it did,but chance's are that is all we will see of Ares IF O'bama takes the Augustine suggestions onboard.
    How does Godspeed an old Apollo Command module powered by a Vanguard sound for lift-off? :)

• Advertisement

Is it just me or does anyone else the water sound suppression system activating just before launch is pretty cool? :D

Advertisement