Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-129,Atlantis - 12/11/09

Options
  • 23-09-2009 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭

Oh yes indeedy,Discovery may have only gotten back to KSC but processing of Atlantis for STS-129 is well advanced. Atlantis will be heading on an 11 day mission to the ISS. There's pics of the ET and SRB's being mated today at KSC at the link below. She's due to roll out to 39a sometime around October 13th.

More images here:http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/search.cfm?cat=204

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

This will be the-
    160th American manned space flight
    129th shuttle mission
    31st flight of Atlantis
    31st shuttle mission to the ISS
    104th post Challenger mission
    16th post Columbia mission
    430pxlogosts129.jpg

God speeed Atlantis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

They haven't given a launch time yet, have t hey? It would seem daft if they had! Here's the mission [front] page:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/sts129/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Lord Lucan You are Very bold for starting the STS-129 thread Already!!(secretly i LOVE it)gives us time for many pre-flight tears to shed as the STS programme comes to an end,We have approx a year before we will have to enter detox:)

Beeker You dark horse(starting the Ares-1-x thread:))
    good facts about the STS on this one(i read one time that the best estimated LOV&C by NASA was 1 in 100 before the first one flew.
    amazing that the iss was built in such relativly short amount of missions!!!!
    also compare that origional estimate by NASA to LL,s link on the Extending the Shuttle thread,the guy NASA resented now estimates it at 1 in 8)
    and really at the end of Your stats i thought you were going to add........and a Partridge in a pear tree:D

Kevstar You should punch Lord Lucan on the nose for Stealing what has become a tradition of YOU starting the STS,s threads(if you can find him:D)and believe it or not NASA DO have a launch time for STS-129 and thankfully it will be much more European time friendly!Date: Nov. 12 +
    Mission: STS-129
    Launch Vehicle: Space Shuttle Atlantis
    Launch Site: Kennedy Space Center - Launch Pad 39A
    Launch Time: 4:04 p.m. EST
    Description: Space shuttle Atlantis will deliver components including two spare gyroscopes, two nitrogen tank assemblies, two pump modules, an ammonia tank assembly and a spare latching end effector for the station's robotic arm to the International Space Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

so thats 9pm our time, will it pass over us again after lift off?

Easter Standard Time (EST)? - Ah bugger - They were using EDT before. So, what's this then... ...That would make it 10:04PM British/Irish Summer Time (B/IST)? Or will we be back to GMT at that stage? If so, it'll be 9:04PM as skelliser implies.

• Advertisement

Just noticed this site and it seems cool enough: http://www.spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Kevster wrote: »
    Easter Standard Time (EST)? - Ah bugger - They were using EDT before. So, what's this then... ...That would make it 10:04PM British/Irish Summer Time (B/IST)? Or will we be back to GMT at that stage? If so, it'll be 9:04PM as skelliser implies.

lol, ya that bst can wreck your head sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

skelliser wrote: »
    lol, ya that bst can wreck your head sometimes!

lol , couldnt we just do irish time and make it pass over when we want it to , hey Beeker , you got any good contacts in Nasa LOL :D

Kevster wrote: »

Could be worse Kev! every now and then NASA use Central Standard Time(CST)which is 1 hour further west in the states,add to that the US in general puts its clocks back sometimes two weeks&sometimes a month diffriently to us............................:confused:

and to add to the confusion although Launchs are controlled at the Kennedy Space Centre(good place to launch is Florida as if craft is lost it falls into sea)

It is THEN in the hands of mission control in Heuston,TEXAS.
    WHY the hell is that?
    because PoloTHICKins would never leave NASA alone!
    It just so happened that Prez L B Johnson the vice president and ex Senator from Texas was sworn in once Kennedy was declared dead!
    by strange co-incidence mission control ended up in Texas:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I am afraid Irish Launch time give or take an hour is still much of a muchness in terms of us seeing the post launch flyover like the previous two missions.

Sunset on Nov 12th is at 5:30pm Irish time. A 9pm flyover 3.5-4 hours later will put the shuttle which will be about 200 miles above at that point well within earths shadow I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Calibos wrote: »
    I am afraid Irish Launch time give or take an hour is still much of a muchness in terms of us seeing the post launch flyover like the previous two missions.

Sunset on Nov 12th is at 5:30pm Irish time. A 9pm flyover 3.5-4 hours later will put the shuttle which will be about 200 miles above at that point well within earths shadow I would imagine.

Yeah the launch is scheduled for 16:04 EST {Eastern Standard Time} which will be 21:04 here in Ireland so it will not be visible I'm afraid.

I'll have a chat with my contacts in NASA and see if they will launch earlier;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Beeker wrote: »
    I'll have a chat with my contacts in NASA and see if they will launch earlier;)

And while you're at it Beeker tell them she has to go Nov. 12th or i'll lose the plot altogether!:p

lord lucan wrote: »
    And while you're at it Beeker tell them she has to go Nov. 12th or i'll lose the plot altogether!:p

I forgot are you still planing to get out for the launch?

I forgot are you still planing to get out for the launch?

Yeah i am. Im flying over Nov. 10th. I'm trying not to think about it too much,still plenty of time for various niggles to appear and push back the launch.

Yeah i am. Im flying over Nov. 10th. I'm trying not to think about it too much,still plenty of time for various niggles to appear and push back the launch.
    I wish you the very best of luck, Fingers crossed it works out my friend!
    Look forward to photos afterwards!

I've fingers,toes and everything else crossed!!:p

Heres a copy of an old post by me to wet you appetite!!

I'd like to share with you an experience I had last November in Florida. I traveled over to witness the launch of the Space Shuttle Endeavour. The shuttle programme began on April 12th 1981, this launch was the 124th launch, and in that time there were two disasters, Challenger on January 28th 1986 and Columbia on February 1st 2003.
    The general public get to view the launch from about 12 miles away along the Indian River. I was lucky enough to get a ticket to view from inside the Kennedy Space Centre from about 6 miles. Nobody can view from closer that 3 miles and for a very good reason, the shuttle has the explosive power of a nuclear bomb while on the pad.

To get a good spot you need to stake a claim to a position hours before, so I arrived with my camping chair, book and mp3 player 8 hours prior to launch. A large TV screen was set up to give full coverage of the countdown in the hours before so we could follow what was going on. 3 and a half hours to go and the astronauts are strapped in and the hatch closed. Two hours prior to launch and it started to get dark, this was going to be a night launch. As the final countdown began a large crowd had gathered at the viewing site. T- 9 minutes, final checks are under way at launch control. I check my camera and make sure I have spare batteries. T – 5 minutes getting close now, onboard fuel cells started to provide electricity for the orbiter during its flight. T- 3 minutes engine steering and orbiter flight control systems are checked. T – 1 minute, I’m in the unreal stage, could this really happen? I have planned this trip for many years and know that over 50% of all launches are delayed for one reason or another. Would my luck hold? T-31 seconds, looking good now as Endeavours computers take over control of the final countdown. There are so many systems to check and monitor now, that humans cannot do it fast enough so the computers make the decisions. T- 10 seconds 9,8,7,6 command given for the shuttles 3 main engines to start. They start at 6 seconds before launch in order to have time to reach 100% thrust, computers check that they have reached 100% and are running normally, if not launch is aborted as has happened many times in the past.
    Einstein was right about time being relative, the next 6 seconds take an eternity 3…people start to stand up…2…I’m on my feet camera ready…1, the time has arrived at last, I have waited 24 years for this very moment. 0….onboard computers send the firing command to the shuttles 2 solid rocket boosters. 7 million pounds of thrust is released as the shuttle lifts off the pad. The sky lights up like a brilliant sunrise.
    picture025mediumwj0.jpg

By the time the shuttle clears its launch tower it is already travelling in excess of 100 miles per hour. What a sight! It climbs quickly into the night sky like a huge ball of fire. TV views and photos come no where near showing the reality of it, it is incredible, The flames are bright orange not white as the TV images show.
    picture027mediumfs1.jpg

Within 40 seconds it breaks the sound barrier. Slowly you start to hear the sound. Light travels faster that sound so you see it before you hear it, a deep rumble in the sky, like velvet being ripped, it seems to be tearing the sky apart, then you feel it first in the ground as it shakes beneath you and then the sound waves hit you in the chest. It’s like someone slapping you or drumming you on the chest.
    picture028mediumtw6.jpg

At 2minutes 11 seconds you see a flash as the boosters fall away to land in the Atlantic.

picture031mediumvd8.jpg

The sky was cloud free so I was able to watch it all the way to engine shutdown at 8 minutes 20 seconds. The shuttle was then 150 miles high and 1000 miles out over the Atlantic travelling at 17500 miles per hour that’s 5 miles per second. Amazing that you could still see the engines when it was 1000 miles away. 5 minutes later it passed the south coast of Ireland and 75 minutes after that it was back over Florida. 90 minutes to circle the planet.

picture036mediumlt4.jpg

What an experience, what a night! There is something amazing about watching people leave the planet. Pity it took 3 hours to drive back to the hotel just 8 miles away.

Good luck Lord Lucan!!:)

Where were you staying Beeker,Titusville?

Where were you staying Beeker,Titusville?

The ramada Inn Titusville. Cheap but chearfull!

http://www.ramadaksc.com/

lord lucan , I second that , best of luck and bring back plenty of pics :D

Hope all goes well !!!!

• Advertisement

I'd like to share with you an experience I had last November in Florida.

Beeker , thanks for that post , must have been amazing to experience a liftoff , enjoyed reading about it , Tnx
    Stargate

The ramada Inn Titusville. Cheap but chearfull!

http://www.ramadaksc.com/

I've provisionally booked a Holiday Inn Select at Orlando airport. I don't drive(not cars anyways) so i'm going down the gray line route. They do a pick up from that hotel so it's handy enough.

I may try buy an LTT when it goes on sale as there's more restrictions on the tour tickets,it'll be handy as back up if there's a scrub.

Stargate wrote: »

I'd like to share with you an experience I had last November in Florida.

Beeker , thanks for that post , must have been amazing to experience a liftoff , enjoyed reading about it , Tnx
    Stargate

Oh yeah what an experience! That was my second shuttle launch and would love to see another. Better than sex.....well.....yeah it is!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'll pretend I'm not seething with jealousy :D I was at KSC when Atlantis was rolled out to 39A for its previous flight STS125 but it wasnt launching for another few weeks so I missed the best part. I am aiming to see a live launch before the death of the space shuttle next year. Till then, STS129 et al, will be watched online, at ungodly hours of the night!

Oh yeah what an experience! That was my second shuttle launch and would love to see another. Better than sex.....well.....yeah it is!:D

Beeker whats sex like?:o:o:o

ynotdu wrote: »

Lol.:D:D:D:D

LoL @ ynotdu , Beeker youd better watch out hahaha :D

We are all waiting on Beekers answer LOLOLOL :D:D:D

We are all waiting on Beekers answer LOLOLOL :D:D:D

He has PM,d me to say he will be taking photo's over the weekend and will post them once approved by a mod;):D:D

• Advertisement

Advertisement