Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Country or County

Options
  • 22-09-2009 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭

Howeya

Sorry if this has been done before but im still only new.

county or country pretty straight forward question. a little lighthearted discussion mine would prob be county. when im away id tell people im from dublin all the time id have a dublin football club over my national side and if theres no dublin athletes competing in any sport then i coudnt give a sh1t. i am an irish man but i dont think i could live anywhere else on the island.

what do other people think, its all ridiculous your irish end off or do you see where im coming from!!. not trying to start an angry debate but would like to hear what other people think

cork peoples answer is obvious:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I say I am from Ireland, but my accent betrays that I am from Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

or Townland???

What happened to townland man?

Ballyahasgranaleighann FTW!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Province then Europe tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You really need to travel more OP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I don't really care about country, and care even less about county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

It all depends on where I am. If I'm abroad I'm from Ireland. If I'm talking to anyone from Ireland I say Dundalk, to an British person I'll say Co Louth in Ireland:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

major bill wrote: »
    Howeya

Sorry if this has been done before but im still only new.

county or country pretty straight forward question. a little lighthearted discussion mine would prob be county. when im away id tell people im from dublin all the time id have a dublin football club over my national side and if theres no dublin athletes competing in any sport then i coudnt give a sh1t. i am an irish man but i dont think i could live anywhere else on the island.

what do other people think, its all ridiculous your irish end off or do you see where im coming from!!. not trying to start an angry debate but would like to hear what other people think

cork peoples answer is obvious:p

Yeah I know your type - the kind of Irish person that probably couldn't name the 32 counties, and probably hasn't been to half of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

TheZohan wrote: »
    You really need to travel more OP.

last job i worked in brought me all over ireland on a regular basis but maybe your right should visit america or australia maybe;)

Yeah I know your type - the kind of Irish person that probably couldn't name the 32 counties, and probably hasn't been to half of them.

:D as ive said ive worked all over ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

but would like to hear what other people think

e.s.p.?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I am equally proud to be from West Limerick and Ireland. I try not to pick one over the other.

*OP, are you serious in saying if an Irish athlete isn't from Dublin then you dont cheer for them?!! Thats insular to say the least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

last job i worked in brought me all over ireland on a regular basis but maybe your right should visit america or australia maybe;)

Absolutely, you'll appreciate your country more when you see the world. :)

grenache wrote: »
    I am equally proud to be from West Limerick and Ireland. I try not to pick one over the other.

*OP, are you serious in saying if an Irish athlete isn't from Dublin then you dont cheer for them?!! Thats insular to say the least!

no i wouldnt go outta me way to watch thats all.same with the all ireland wouldnt watch unless dublin were in it so as you can guess ive not watched one in years!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

TheZohan wrote: »
    Absolutely, you'll appreciate your country more when you see the world. :)

But you appreciate you county so much when you leave it too. I was in Roscommen at the weekend. It really made me consider what it was to be a Glalwegian.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I am an Irishman first and a European second. I would never consider myself a "Dubliner" really, since I was born in Belfast and have travelled widely.

The OP shows just what a small minded parochial mindest so many people have in this little country of ours. This is why parish pump politics trumps every time and petty inter-parish/town rivalries are such a big deal here, let alone inter county hatreds.:rolleyes:

Parochialism is a symptom of a small mind. A major reason why this country can't plan for the future properly.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I've no choice, have to say country. As everybody outside of Ireland and a lot within it have no idea where Carlow is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Treason imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,897 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That sounds like a sad way to be. As much as I love my county, not recognizing everything else on this fine isle to me sounds ridiculous. This is a fine country (being run badly) and to not recognize 90% of it because you feel some loyalty to the country you happen to be born in, really is unneccesarily prohibitive on yourself.

Sure you might have an added interest in your own locality but see the larger picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Parochialism is a symptom of a small mind. A major reason why this country can't plan for the future properly.:(

It good to be proud of where you come from though. So long as thats used constructivly.

For me it goes Family-Townland-Parish-County-Province-Country-27 Member State former exclusively trading block that now takes an increasing social role.

I take pride in all those things and want them to be the best they can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I am an Irishman first and a European second. I would never consider myself a "Dubliner" really, since I was born in Belfast and have travelled widely.

The OP shows just what a small minded parochial mindest so many people have in this little country of ours. This is why parish pump politics trumps every time and petty inter-parish/town rivalries are such a big deal here, let alone inter county hatreds.:rolleyes:

for God's sake this goes on everywhere. catalans will put catalunya before spain, basques will do the same, scousers in england, whatever, it happens everywhere. there's nothing wrong with being proud of where you're from.

i myself am very proud of my roots. if it's sport, i'll cheer on whoever is local, whether it's club, county, province, country or even europe in the ryder cup. if i'm talking to a stranger in a strange land, i'm irish.

• Advertisement

where does it say in my post i dont recognise the rest of the country im proud to be irish but i just see meself more of a dubliner than an irishman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

where does it say in my post i dont recognise the rest of the country im proud to be irish but i just see meself more of a dubliner than an irishman.

You basically imply in your OP that you don't care about the rest of Ireland in certain respects.

You're also basically saying that you wouldn't give a sh1t about Bernard Dunne's achievements if he wasn't a Dub, which is absolutely ridiculous.

You're probably more of a Dub than an Irishman only when it suits you.

You basically imply in your OP that you don't care about the rest of Ireland in certain respects.

You're also basically saying that you wouldn't give a sh1t about Bernard Dunne's achievements if he wasn't a Dub, which is absolutely ridiculous.

You're probably more of a Dub than an Irishman only when it suits you.

when it comes to sport then yes bernard dunne id find more of a connection with cos he lives close by rather than duddy or lee who live hours away.

would i care if people in cavan hadnt got proper health care well yes i would care!!

the thread is about what you tell people when your away where do you feel more of a connection with its bloody simple to answer but now its a witch hunt im not asking for independence for dublin:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Continent -> country -> province -> county -> town -> street -> house

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Country every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

Ann22 wrote: »
    It all depends on where I am. If I'm abroad I'm from Ireland. If I'm talking to anyone from Ireland I say Dundalk, to an British person I'll say Co Louth in Ireland:).

And to a Guard I'll say Drogheda.

*runs*

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I say I'm from Ireland, as people out side out small island usually only know Dublin Belfast and sometimes where their OH / friends come from, I grew up in Cork but have been sharing a house in Dublin for the last 5 years, I have no chip on my shoulder about where I'm from but I always try and enjoy where I'm living at the time. I will always love Cork but Dublin is so different with so many different things to do that as Counties you cant reasionably compare them, Dublin = big city with loads of great people, Cork = Town sized City with loads of great people.
    I'm living in Abu-Dhabi for work for work until Christmas so I have to say that I'd trade here for Ireland any day of the week.
    I care about the county thing when competeing with other counties eg in Football and hurling other than that we're all Irish so feck it and enjoy yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Stevecw wrote: »
    I've no choice, have to say country. As everybody outside of Ireland and a lot within it have no idea where Carlow is!!

I have heard of the place..................:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Shamrock Rovers.

That is all.

Advertisement