Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel & Ryanair Yes Campaigns - An Open Question.

Options
  • 22-09-2009 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I have just seen an intel pro-yes campaign poster & you are all aware of Ryanair's 500'000 Euro Yes campaign.
    Regardless of whether you are a Yes or No vote to Lisbon.
    Does corporate 'intervention' in the franchise of a nation lead to healthy democratic debate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

About as much as the intervention of anyone other than our democratically elected representatives. I don't really mind anyone getting involved as long as what they're saying is true.

They are in the debate because no campaigners are trying to play down the idea that a yes vote will help the economy by saying it's just government scaremongering so some of the biggest players in our economy are coming out to say that it's a legitimate point. I welcome their input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

isocket wrote: »
    Does corporate 'intervention' in the franchise of a nation lead to healthy democratic debate?
    As credibly as, if not more than, any unelected campaign group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Although I'm a avid yes supporter I think commercial organisations getting involved in political campaigns is a very dangerous precedent. All you have to look at is the healthcare reform debate taking place in the US to see how private commercial interests can have a serious detrimental effect on rational & factually informed public debates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 isocket

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    About as much as the intervention of anyone other than our democratically elected representatives. I don't really mind anyone getting involved as long as what they're saying is true.

They are in the debate because no campaigners are trying to play down the idea that a yes vote will help the economy by saying it's just government scaremongering so some of the biggest players in our economy are coming out to say that it's a legitimate point. I welcome their input

You welcome it because it suits your point of view.
    That does not make it healthy.
    It perverts the debate as there is an implication that a NO vote will lead to these corporates leaving the country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I have just seen an intel pro-yes campaign poster & you are all aware of Ryanair's 500'000 Euro Yes campaign.
    Regardless of whether you are a Yes or No vote to Lisbon.

I think that business should have a right to voice an opinion on matters that concern them.

As for the amount spent I do not have an issue personally with it, since the source of the money is not secretive. But there probably a vaild debate to be had on that point.

Edit: I have no idea what a campaign costs to run so I have no opinion of the ballpark figure that such a limit should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

You welcome it because it suits your point of view. That does not make it healthy
    Why did you ask the question in the first place if you're going to reply to the first post contrary to your point of view with a stock answer?

Know what stifles conclusion of a debate? Lies. Any old dross can stimulate debate. Its the conclusion that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

sink wrote: »
    Although I'm a avid yes supporter I think commercial organisations getting involved in political campaigns is a very dangerous precedent. All you have to look at is the healthcare reform debate taking place in the US to see how private commercial interests can have a serious detrimental effect on rational & factually informed public debates.

I would agree with this up to a point, that point being that Intel et al are effectively corporate citizens of Ireland, and as such there is a case to be made for them voting on an issue they feel affects them. On the other hand, I think this referendum is setting new lows in all kinds of directions, in particular over who's getting involved and how the campaigns have been funded - I reiterate my preference for a complete ban on referendum campaigns.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

must be something in it for ryanair+intel if they want people to pass this...

You welcome it because it suits your point of view.
    That does not make it healthy.
    It perverts the debate as there is an implication that a NO vote will lead to these corporates leaving the country.

That's a simplistic way of looking at it. All they're saying is that they think a yes vote will benefit the economy. They are adding weight to the government campaign which is making the same statements but which are being dismissed as lies. It's harder to dismiss Intel and Ryanair when they say it will help the economy. And I'm waiting for your thread asking if all the unelected groups on the no side are adding to a healthy debate...

Fred83 wrote: »

Obviously.
    Is that healthy, or even, ethical, to allow huge & massively wealthy corporations to influence public opinion in a democracy of which their only loyalty is profit?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Fred83 wrote: »

Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I would agree with this up to a point, that point being that Intel et al are effectively corporate citizens of Ireland, and as such there is a case to be made for them voting on an issue they feel affects them. On the other hand, I think this referendum is setting new lows in all kinds of directions, in particular over who's getting involved and how the campaigns have been funded - I reiterate my preference for a complete ban on referendum campaigns.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    I'd love to see a complete ban on referendum campaigns. Sadly, I can't imagine it ever happening and even if it did, there's be an endless tirade of people accuse the government of trying to silence the opposition. I'd be happy with a blanket ban on political posters. At least that way, if you want to avoid the debate altogether, you won't have to deal with all those eyesores.

To clarify, I wouldn't have a problem with a business stating it's view, but actually campaigning and putting up posters is a step beyond my comfort zone.

To clarify, I wouldn't have a problem with a business stating it's view, but actually campaigning and putting up posters is a step beyond my comfort zone.

Agreed.
    So what does corporate intervention in a national franchise tell us specifically about the Lisbon Treaty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I agree with the jist of posters here.

Once it remains honest and respectfull I've no problem with it either.

Agreed.
    So what does corporate intervention in a national franchise tell us specifically about the Lisbon Treaty?

Nothing in and of itself. Just because commercial interests can be devious does not necessarily mean they are. I don't think intel and ryanair have anything to gain commercially from Lisbon beyond the strengthening of the EU single market.

Nothing in and of itself. Just because commercial interests can be devious does not necessarily mean they are. I don't think intel and ryanair have anything to gain commercially from Lisbon beyond the strengthening of the EU single market.

"Nothing in and of itself".

Are you really sure?

I'm old enough to remember two very contentious referenda on abortion & divorce & I don't remember any corporate campaigning, whatsoever.
    So, face the question posed, & answer honestly.
    What is it specifically about the Lisbon Treaty that makes the corporate monoliths interfere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

I think that the most important principle that corporations should obey is they should be allowed lobby people, but it is dodgy, verging on corrupt to lobby TDs directly.
    If a company comes out openly and spends money to try and persuade the people of Ireland of what they want, I do not see a problem with that (as long as they are not purposefully misleading anyone). But US style lobbying of TDs being wined and dined behind closed doors is seriously inappropriate.

What is it specifically about the Lisbon Treaty that makes the corporate monoliths interfere?

I already gave my answer "the strengthening of the EU single market" of which they are upfront and honest about. It's a far cry from the sort of dangers that I'm worried about, where corporate lobby groups purposefully lie and misrepresent the truth as is happening in the case of healthcare reform in the US.

"Nothing in and of itself".

Are you really sure?

I'm old enough to remember two very contentious referenda on abortion & divorce & I don't remember any corporate campaigning, whatsoever.
    So, face the question posed, & answer honestly.

Do you honestly not see any difference between divorce, abortion and an international treaty in terms of the interests of business?

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Do you honestly not see any difference between divorce, abortion and an international treaty in terms of the interests of business?

I was actually going to say that it was hardly surprising that no companies had ever been involved in the abortion and divorce referendums, but decided not to bother, since it obviously didn't really need to be said. I see I was wrong.

wearily,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

gonna vote yes myself but would be cynical of Intel's motives with a 1 billion euro EUROPEAN anti trust case and all.....are they looking for a bit of slack from Europe?

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    But US style lobbying of TDs being wined and dined behind closed doors is seriously inappropriate.

Quite, & the safest way to protect our democracy is to ban all & any corporate campaigning.
    Wining & dining is the cream of the EU/Corporate/Big Business gravy train & the Lisbon Treaty will guarantee, for the first time, the merchants-of-death in the Big Club.

markfla wrote: »
    gonna vote yes myself but would be cynical of Intel's motives with a 1 billion euro EUROPEAN anti trust case and all.....are they looking for a bit of slack from Europe?

If they are, they're not being given it - see the thread on "Commission publishes decision concerning Intel's abuse of dominant position".

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Quite, & the safest way to protect our democracy is to ban all & any corporate campaigning.
    Wining & dining is the cream of the EU/Corporate/Big Business gravy train & the Lisbon Treaty will guarantee, for the first time, the merchants-of-death in the Big Club.

It would be better to cut out all campaigning, since almost without exception it's contributed nothing to the debate.

regards,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

I'm still not 100 percent either way but the amount of big business men promoting a yes vote makes me very unsure, especially Intel.

Intel have been given the biggest fine in EU history under anti competitive rules to the tune of 1.5 billion euros but yet intel is seeking a yes vote in this treaty...why would they do that?intel is totally against unions,it hates them.Should we trust a company that has received the biggest fine in the history of the EU?intel has put half a million euros into the yes side but yet it has let go over 200 people in its plant in leixlip in recent times,in all fairness this smells like a sell-out on intel's behalf,kiss europes ass and get a European court ruling halved at least.

I will never ever believe what a private company puts forward because as they always say....It's about the shareholders...Im not a shareholder in any company nor are any members of my family or friends

I smell a rat in this treaty due to the amount of major company's promoting a yes vote without justifiably telling me why i should vote yes and dont dare tell me it will create jobs..i'm not in the mood for laughing right now.

Would people please check there isn't an existing thread before posting? Thanks.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Would people please check there isn't an existing thread before posting? Thanks.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

search is down due to maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Intel have been given the biggest fine in EU history under anti competitive rules to the tune of 1.5 billion euros but yet intel is seeking a yes vote in this treaty...why would they do that?
    Intel has invested in Ireland since 1989 because Ireland is English speaking, has the necessary skills, has a favourable tax régime and is inside the EU. Intel and other American businesses feared that the formation of the EU would make Europe more isolationist, which would lead to import duties on their products. I imagine they fear a "No" vote would lead to political pressure on Ireland that would lead to policies unfavourable to Intel.
    kiss europes ass and get a European court ruling halved at least.
    Thats a bit far fetched. If Intel want the fine cut by €750m its madness if you think the EU would do that for €0.5m. Surely the EU could just tell Intel to sod off and invest €750m in job creation in Ireland, thereby clinching a "Yes" vote?

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Intel has invested in Ireland since 1989 because Ireland is English speaking, has the necessary skills, has a favourable tax régime and is inside the EU. Intel and other American businesses feared that the formation of the EU would make Europe more isolationist, which would lead to import duties on their products. I imagine they fear a "No" vote would lead to political pressure on Ireland that would lead to policies unfavourable to Intel.

Thats a bit far fetched. If Intel want the fine cut by €750m its madness if you think the EU would do that for €0.5m. Surely the EU could just tell Intel to sod off and invest €750m in job creation in Ireland, thereby clinching a "Yes" vote?

intel are here to make money and they are doing that.how much will a no vote cost the EU?A hell of ot more than 750 millions i would suggest

Advertisement