Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An invitation to have your say.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭twinytwo

francosp wrote: »
    Come on people do you want us to be left out in the cold ( WHICH WILL HAPPEN ON A NO VOTE ) against joining the "community" esp. in our current circumstances...... ???

This crap of 1.89Eur as a minimum wage is PURE LIES, no way is that gonna happen.

Vote YES, for a stronger Europe and Stronger Eire...

I could elaborate, but I'm too tired... :D

where did you pull that from.. this whole we will be left behind is the biggest pile of bs ever..l.if the lisbon treaty is defeated then the nice treaty is still in effect...

Also the governments whole yes campaign is based on "voting yes will increase jobs sort out the economy etc etc while voting no will destroy the economy and jobs will be lost....

if lisbon is passed or not the finanical trouble that this country is in will not be fixed we will still lose more jobs as the country will still be arse up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭RepublicanEagle

I am a student in UCC,doing a BA European Development Studies II,and as a scholar in European economics and law,and from reading the treaty,I am voting No to Lisbon,I support what the EU has done for us,but they have earned millions from our fishing grounds,and placed quotas on agricultural goods that favor the big farmers all over France and Germany,the countruies responsible fro drafting up the CAP and CFP.Coincidence,I think not.However if the EU was to put people before profit in their policies and Lisbon,I would vote yes.

But this is not the case,it is beaucracy and profit before the people.
    The Yes campaign are advocating that the No side,is anti European.That is pure and utter tripe.I hate this governent in Ireland and their policies.Does that make me anti-Irish?I think not.The Yes people who are voting,are under the delusion that it will create jobs and bring economic recovery?Where in the Treaty does it state that?And where has the EU been within the last 12 months,where jobs are being lost left right and centre,along with the rising dole queues.Nowhere.
    Remember what happened to Dell in Limerick who relocated to Poland after the Polish offered them hundreds of thousands of euro?The EU did nothing about it,nothing,because Poland is actually becoming very powerful industrially and militarily.

The reality is,the Lisbon treaty,will favor the powerful states,not the small states such as Ireland.I guarantee that any citizen with any shred of civic responsibilty and intelligence,will know that this will repeat itself,if this referendum is passed.Before you vote read this treaty,most of have not,you follow the government like cattle to the slaughter,even after what they have done to us.Shame on all of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭machintoshlover

I am a student in UCC,doing a BA European Development Studies II,and as a scholar in European economics and law,and from reading the treaty,I am voting No to Lisbon,I support what the EU has done for us,but they have earned millions from our fishing grounds,and placed quotas on agricultural goods that favor the big farmers all over France and Germany,the countruies responsible fro drafting up the CAP and CFP.Coincidence,I think not.However if the EU was to put people before profit in their policies and Lisbon,I would vote yes.

The Yes campaign are advocating that the No side,is anti European.That is pure and utter tripe.I hate this governent in Ireland and their policies.Does that make me anti-Irish?I think not.The Yes people who are voting,are under the delusion that it will create jobs and bring economic recovery?Where in the Treaty does it state that?And where has the EU been within the last 12 months,where jobs are being lost left right and centre,along with the rising dole queues.Nowhere.
    Remember what happened to Dell in Limerick who relocated to Poland after the Polish offered them hundreds of thousands of euro?The EU did nothing about it,nothing,because Poland is actually becoming very powerful industrially and militarily.

The reality is,the Lisbon treaty,will favor the powerful states,not the small states such as Ireland.I guarantee that any citizen with any shred of civic responsibilty and intelligence,will know that this will repeat itself,if this referendum is passed.Before you vote read this treaty,most of have not,you follow the government like cattle to the slaughter,even after what they have done to us.Shame on all of you.

I find your post rather insulting and I am a person who is still considering what position he is going to take.

For a scholar in European economics and law your points are 1.) vague 2.) are really just soundbites and 3.) insulting to the general public 4.) in some cases rather stupid.

Why should the EU step in for the Dell relocation to Poland? they found a lower cost base and moved - who are the EU to tell Dell where to set up?

I don't think people who vote 'yes' are under any illusions that this will lead to job prosperity and economic recovery - most people I know are voting yes because they see the benefits of Ireland being involved in a more efficient and effectively run European Union which the Lisbon treaty allows.

Most people know the current government are incompetent - they are not just following what they say - give people some credit and allow them to make up their own minds instead of insulting our intelligence and shaming us.

I think overall the benefits to the EU overall are big, I don't think the direct benefits are big to Ireland however a more efficiently run EU will indirectly affect Ireland in a positive manner. There is also very little cost to ratifying this treaty to the Irish people despite what the 'NO' side are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

It's disappointing, and the epitome of this whole Lisbon debate, that you can type out a full post arguing against Lisbon and not even reference one article or sentence in the treaty.

Your opinion on past policies and your education history is not enough information to make a valid argument against the Lisbon Treaty. After reading the treaty, the reasons you outlined for voting no have nothing to do with the treaty. Namely CAP, and Dell's move to Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

The Yes people who are voting,are under the delusion that it will create jobs and bring economic recovery?Where in the Treaty does it state that?

Don't quote me on this but I believe it is in the same section of the Treaty as the provision that lowers the minimum wage to €1.84, forces us to take part in a European Army, and brings in abortion laws without our consent ;)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 talisker

12 REASONS TO DO THE RIGHT THING FOR EUROPE'S CITIZENS AND VOTE NO

8. The Treaty (Article 28) calls for a military build up in Europe: "Member States shall undertake progressively to improve their military capabilities" under the direction of the European Defence Agency (EDA).

One of the functions of the EDA will be:

(d) support defence technology research, and coordinate and plan joint research activities and the study of technical solutions meeting future operational needs

For the first time ever, Ireland will be assenting to and assisting in the creation of new weapons of mass destruction which will inevitably end up killing poor families in the third world for the profit of the European arms industry.

you can't be totally oblivious to the numerous irish industries that already supply, manufacture, and profit!!! from the arms industry. we're not a virgin bride, and we did inhale. and thank god for the e.u. and e.c.b., without either we would still be making a living selling peat and growing shamrocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I tend to broadly agree with what you have said.
    It's a little late now, since the referendum is over, but I would be interested in your views on the ECJ, specifically the ways in which multinational corporations pay lobbyists to obtain changes to the legal system.... generally not in favour of the average worker, or small to medium business, methinks.
    I voted "No", by the way.

Noreen

Advertisement