Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The nepotism in RTE wouldn't allow that to happen.

Yes, I suspect you're right. But isn't it a beautiful dream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

He has had more than a brief flirtation with RTE in his time, apart from the TV shows I think he did the review of the papers on Morning Ireland back in the early 90's.

While I agree that he would be a great talk show host, you cannot hide the fact that people would criticise the guests that would appear. If the best the LLS can get is a Kerry footballer who wears tight trousers, and a Sunday World columnist who was blessed with a pair of oversized breasts; well then what hope for Sean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

RTE probably still remember his RTE1 chat show 'Good Grief Moncrieff' which was a bit of a disaster.

Ran for one Summer, guests were poor, you could hardly hear what being said and the comedy parts just didn't work.

It wasn't all his fault, and I would like to see him get another go at it, but they have long memories in Montrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Sergeant wrote: »
    He has had more than a brief flirtation with RTE in his time, apart from the TV shows I think he did the review of the papers on Morning Ireland back in the early 90's.

While I agree that he would be a great talk show host, you cannot hide the fact that people would criticise the guests that would appear. If the best the LLS can get is a Kerry footballer who wears tight trousers, and a Sunday World columnist who was blessed with a pair of oversized breasts; well then what hope for Sean?

the sunday world columnist was on sean's show on friday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Minx23

Watching the studio web-cam as I listen to Movies and Booze, Esther McCarthy looks nothing like her voice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Minx23 wrote: »
    Watching the studio web-cam as I listen to Movies and Booze, Esther McCarthy looks nothing like her voice!
    I just logged on and see what you mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Anyone hear Phil, the Alien guy on the show today? very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Poly wrote: »

Not sure about that one......the person was obviously mentally ill......probably not as funny if he was taking the pi$$ out of someone with cancer. .....

i thought it was very funny.

'can you keep a secret?'

Sure i can!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

del88 wrote: »
    Not sure about that one......the person was obviously mentally ill......probably not as funny if he was taking the pi$$ out of someone with cancer. .....
    Yeah really like... I came in half way through, so wasn't sure if it was a parody or something. But Seán was indulging this lunatic's paranoid fantasies, delusions and hallucinations. Pretty distasteful stuff.

• Advertisement

I think UFO Phil has his tounge firmly in his cheek. I would be more concerned about some of our friends over on the conspiracy thread tbh.

http://www.ufophil.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 UFO Phil

Thanks for visiting the website. I enjoyed chatting with Sean.

Hey Phil, Welcome to Boards. Any plans to visit Ireland in between your intergalatic voyages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 UFO Phil

I would love to visit Ireland. The closest I've been is a trip to Llandudno and Portmeirion in North Wales.

Phil, what do you make of the previous comments that were questioning your mental state?

Personally, I think you having the last laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭matamoros1965

There was a guy on yesterday that made Jim Corr sound sane! Sadly, his Son died was talking about asking for signs from him that he was still 'there' and then his Son could break a light bulb as a sign. I'm sure he must have a book out, probably aimed at the moving statues/angels on board/house of prayer/tarot card/holy stone of clonrickard market.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Yesterday Seán was interviewing some American over the phone:

The Yank (thinking about what he was going to say next): Is this a family show?

Seán: It depends what you mean by "family"; it's more Simpsons than Little House on the Prairie.

hehehe.

Alas, even Moncrieff has been reduced to polluting his show with this British royalist pageantry. Yesterday's show with Courtney was awfully dim (as only that topic can be).

I expected much more from Moncrieff, who has usually given us all an intelligent alternative to Duffy/Mooney every day.

The more I think of it, the more it becomes clear that Irish radio is more about shows competing in the presentation of the same things than about providing alternatives to the listening public. For instance, they all provide the same news and same sports news at precisely the same time each day and they all provide current affairs shows at the same time each morning and each afternoon/evening.

It's depressing, although predictable given the people involved, that there is so little independent thinking going on among the people who run Irish radio stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Alas, even Moncrieff has been reduced to polluting his show with this British royalist pageantry. Yesterday's show with Courtney was awfully dim (as only that topic can be).

I'm in China at the moment. The first item on the news this evening (CCTV) was the British royal wedding. Seems to be an item that generates worldwide attention.

Therefore, why shouldn't Moncrieff cover it? I'm sure he covered the piece in his own inimitable and whimsical style. If you didn't like the section, then you could change station, or go out and have a walk or something.

In fairness, he banned the "W" word from the show today with only a few minor slip-ups.
    His show is always well researched and he shows a genuine interest in each of the topics he covers. He's the best broadcaster on Irish Radio.

• Advertisement

Sergeant wrote: »
    I'm in China at the moment. The first item on the news this evening (CCTV) was the British royal wedding. Seems to be an item that generates worldwide attention.

Therefore, why shouldn't Moncrieff cover it? I'm sure he covered the piece in his own inimitable and whimsical style. If you didn't like the section, then you could change station, or go out and have a walk or something.

Saying Moncrieff should cover it because another station does is quite simply not a reason for him to do so. The reason he should not have covered it has already been stated: every other station was obsessing about the issue and by talking about something else he gave radio listeners an alternative. What, pray tell, is wrong with giving us something different, with giving us a choice? Are there no other issues in the world worth talking about? Why do you think we should be given sameness by all radio stations?

The guy is Seán Moncrieff, not the ineffably awful Duffy or Mooney or Finucane or Whelan.... As my previous posts here show, I have a lot of time for him. He's head and shoulders above any alternative, and consistently so.

As it happened I didn't like the section so I did change the station; in fact, I turned off the radio because there was no alternative. It doesn't mean that I should not register my objection with his show going down the tabloid trash road of the rest of them. For the first time, I've kept the radio off all day today, with the exception of 30 minutes on Lyric this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

4fm were going wedding free between 12 & 3pm you could have tuned in to it, if you didn't want to hear about the wedding you should have done your homework, there were stations not talking about it or you could have just put on a cd :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

they all provide the same news and same sports news at precisely the same time each day and they all provide current affairs shows at the same time each morning and each afternoon/evening.

In fairness what more do you expect from commercial radio stations? Should one of them do a sports report at a quarter past the hour just to be different? People turn on the radio on the hour in order to hear the news. IT seems like a natural enough time to have it to me.

Newstalk has a longer sports bulletin on the half hour which is a good idea I think.

People want to listen to the current affairs on their way to work and on their way home - so they can keep up with current affairs as they commute.

I don't really understand what you expect a radio station to do (and I'm not being rhetorical, it's a genuine question)?

In fairness what more do you expect from commercial radio stations? Should one of them do a sports report at a quarter past the hour just to be different? People turn on the radio on the hour in order to hear the news. IT seems like a natural enough time to have it to me.

Newstalk has a longer sports bulletin on the half hour which is a good idea I think.

People want to listen to the current affairs on their way to work and on their way home - so they can keep up with current affairs as they commute.

I don't really understand what you expect a radio station to do (and I'm not being rhetorical, it's a genuine question)?

With just a bit of creativity Newstalk could do all they do at a different time to RTÉ 1 - say, have its news at 15 minutes past the hour and establish its news service at that time so people will go to it if they miss the news on the hour. There is no reason why news must be on the hour.

Lyric already offers news on the half hour so it gives us a musical alternative to news. There is no current affairs alternative. For instance, by 8am it would be nice if Newstalk could give something different to the news which I heard at 7am on RTÉ. When their news comes on, or vica versa, I can change. Instead, the current system has them doing precisely the same thing as RTÉ Radio 1 at the same time. It's repetitious and unwarranted. Even TV3 (!!) had the good sense to provide its TV news at 5.30pm rather than at the same time at RTÉ television's news. Why can't Newstalk's management think outside the box?

I'm not so sure about Newstalk having more sport on the half-hour; each morning at 8.35am RTÉ Radio 1 has a good 10 minutes of sport. It's a nightmare for those of us who have no interest in sport, and especially so since Marty Whelan has taken over Lyric at that time.

I think I'm just going to have to get one of those learn a language cds and give up on current affairs radio altogether. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Sorry, I meant they've more sport on the half hour than they have on the hour. Not that they have more than other stations.

I see what you're saying but what about the people who want to get their current affairs at 8:00a.m.? Just 'cos you've been listening since 7... :)

I think that it makes sense to have breakfast covering what they cover and Hooky covering what he covers. Anything else would be commercial suicide, in my opinion.

They've cut down on their news bulletins a little which I think is no bad thing. Hook just reads the news himself at 17:30 instead of going through the whole "news music" and everything to get essentially the same thing.

Anyway, as someone mentioned above Moncrief didn't actually cover the wedding at all on Friday and tried his best to avoid it - which I think is great.

You like Moncrief, I like Moncrief, let's be friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

In fairness, he banned the "W" word from the show today with only a few minor slip-ups.
    His show is always well researched and he shows a genuine interest in each of the topics he covers. He's the best broadcaster on Irish Radio.

I agree that he is good, but he really does hmmmmmm a lot, eh eh eh eh eh eh a lot, and more which can be annoying. I really wish newstalk would find some new talent though because we will be waiting for RTE to do it. (not to replace Sean though)

With just a bit of creativity Newstalk could do all they do at a different time to RTÉ 1 - say, have its news at 15 minutes past the hour and establish its news service at that time so people will go to it if they miss the news on the hour. There is no reason why news must be on the hour.

i remember them talking about this a few weeks ago. it's part of the public service license from the broadcasting commission that they provide a news bulletin on the hour. it's not that they would want to put it on at those times, but they were told to.

did anyone hear some ridiculous interview he did within the last two weeks... i know i'm being a bit vague, but i tuned in just after it. apparently it was brutal, and someone texted in comparing it to the interview he did with the landlady of a haunted pub where pints were mysteriously being topped up when her back was turned!!

Anybody hear Seán's interview with some American guy about the world chess champion Bobby Fischer? It was one of the more interesting interviews I've heard on radio. He had me cringing for Fischer, angry that he was throwing away his opportunities and yet deeply sad for him at various stages.

Interview (part 2, starts @ 5 minutes)

Edit: "some American guy" = Frank Brady and his book is called Endgame: Bobby Fischer's Remarkable Rise and Fall - from America's Brightest Prodigy to the Edge of Madness.

The Seán lad on either Tuesday or Wednesday:

Girl texts in saying she's "Leitrim's favourite crippled Lesbian"
    Seán: In fairness, it's probably more accurate to say you're Leitrim's leading crippled Lesbian; there's a lot of competition for that position these days.

hehe.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Who's yer wan ?

Where's all the movies?

And the booze?

Advertisement