Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

08 Micra or 08 Swift?

Options
  • 21-09-2009 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi,

Finally the choice comes down to these 2:

08 Micra: 5 door, 23k kms, A/C, Bluetooth, 156 euro tax, 9300 euro
    08 Swift: 3 door, 20k kms, A/C,302 euro tax (I think.. if it's 143 g CO2), 9750 euro

The Swift is a more enjoyable drive, Micra would be cheaper on insurance, tax...

Would resale value be better on the Micra?

Help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Hristos

I have to overpay a bit in Galway :rolleyes:, but it has the go faster stripes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,410 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Definitely the Swift.

the 1.3 falls into the €156 tax as far as I know.

Micras are hideous yokes. and the resale value is seriously dented by over supply of ex rental stuff. they're also not as reliable as they should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Swift all the way. Have one in the family and its a great little car. Rocket to go too and very good spec on the GLX for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

If your a Nun or over 65, dye your hair blue and can't drive, get Micra like the rest of you type, otherwise get the Swift.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Micra.

HoPpiE wrote: »
    Micra.
    Any reasons?

Saab Ed wrote: »
    That one in O'Learys has the wrong reg number on it... 08WX6575 is off a Qashqai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Yes.

As soon as you think of one, please share ;)

The way I see the 2 cars:

Styling
    Swift is far more modern, floating roof design looks really well, and a lot of dealer options like contrast roof, stripes etc. Micra is out in Japan since 2002 and wasn't good looking even back then.

Driving
    The Micra isn't exactly nasty to drive, but it does have a strange gearchange, and the steering is very artificial feeling.
    Found the Swift to be a decent drive.

Engines
    Micra 1.2 is 80bhp, Swift 1.3 is 91bhp. that equates to the Micra being a whole 3 seconds slower to 60mph
    both are €156 to tax. Micra has slightly better combined fuel consumption

Safety
    Both cars have a 4 star NCAP

Ownership
    Micra model is due for replacement in the next few months, this will impact prices
    Swift has 3 yeas roadside assistance vs. 12 months on the Micra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Terodil

Micra definitely.
    • very reliable
    • room concept is great (movable back seat bench -- I'm 6ft2 and it was very comfortable)
    • looks unique, not like the rest of the fiesta/swift/... slew
    • very safe
    plus it's cheaper, I really don't see any cons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Terodil wrote: »
    I really don't see any cons

Poorer resale, will look very dated very soon when replaced, quality isn't what it used to be (a mechanic I know pointed out a Renault 9 rear hub), image aint great, looks are worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

Swift. Better resale value. Micra have a poor resale value and do you really want to be seen drivng one? ;)

Looks like the Swift is winning :)

What Insurance would you recommend, cheapest I find is with 123.ie:

Third Party Only
    €899.02
    or €65.24
    per month*

Third Party Fire & Theft
    €1,032.92
    or €75.41
    per month*

Comprehensive
    €1,278.06
    or €94.03
    per month*

Don't bother with 3rd party, or 3rd party F&T, you need fully comp on a 9k car!

Have you tried Quinn Direct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'd reckon based on various reports that you'll find the Swift will be more reliable than the Micra. The reliability on the Nissan left with the outgoing model.
    Aside from that, just stand back and look at them. The Swift looks like a nice small car. The Micra looks hideous.
    As pointed out above, the Swift also wins in every measurable way.

micra12.thumbnail.jpg
    2010-suzuki-swift-sport-front-leftjpg.jpg

Hard to choose alright.....

Quinn is 1400+

That's what I get for getting insured for the first time :)

32, male, 13 years EU driving licence...

Oh cmon, why did you pick the pink micra... the one I was considering is black...

Forgot to say, If I'm main driver + girlfriend named, 1278

If she's main driver and I'm named, 1400+ :o

even though she'd have cheaper insurance on her own...

Which European country is it, aren't no-claims discounts/driving experience transferrable between some countries?

Talk to a broker, as opposed to direct. Would recommend First Ireland in Phibsboro, always found them very helpful :D

Resident in Ireland since 2000, didn't have a car before anyway :o

• Advertisement

Hey Colm, now you know my insurance details so you can quote me 10 euro cheaper :p

The VRT calculator at www.ros.ie shows the emissions as 143g CO2 which would put the Swift in Band C :(

Anyone know for definite what band it is? Dealer says it's 140 g CO2 so band B... Who to believe?

The only way to know for sure is to check the VLC for the car. I know for certain that the 09 ones are €156 to tax. maybe there was a modification recently to bring the emissions down to 140g/km.

I think if you do a cartell.ie paid report on the car's reg, you can get the emissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Parkers say it's 140g/km, as does www.suzuki.ie

It's not uncommon for manufacturers to tweak engines to meet emissions figures in particular countries. They may have revised the Swift at some stage in 2008

Colm, thanks for all your help... how come you didn't recommend a Yaris? :) I couldn't have gotten an 08 one for that kind of money?

Well... looks like the Swift deal is going ahead. And First Capital quoted 100 less than 123.ie, so it's all good... Every little helps.

BTW, even if it's a 2008 car, registered before July, for it to be on the emissions tax, wouldn't the owner have to specifically state/change to the new tax? If this was neglected, I don't think it can be changed now, can it? Assuming it was taxed on the old cc based for a while (dunno the exact month it was registered in, and even if the VLC shows 140 emissions, could still be on the old tax if regged pre-July 08.

Hope the question makes some sense...

Oh, and the dealer seems to be very genuine, unlike some previous ones I dealt with. Here's hoping they remain so after I hand over my hard earned...

I'm trying to be as impartial as possible here :)

And I really like the Swift.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

http://www.trunkroadsuzuki.com/

all ur suzuki needs:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Hristos wrote: »
    BTW, even if it's a 2008 car, registered before July, for it to be on the emissions tax, wouldn't the owner have to specifically state/change to the new tax? If this was neglected, I don't think it can be changed now, can it? Assuming it was taxed on the old cc based for a while (dunno the exact month it was registered in, and even if the VLC shows 140 emissions, could still be on the old tax if regged pre-July 08.

if it's registered pre-July 2008 it will be taxed on the new emissions system if it's cheaper than the old one.

Advertisement