Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom slow?

Options
  • 20-09-2009 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭

Is eircom slow for anyone?
    Last night and tonight some pages are a bit slow and I can't play Halo all weekend, lagging to sh!t

Rebooted the router and PC but still the same

570343959.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

I win?

570367519.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Found web pages ect... the past few nights kind of slow all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ak27

I use eircom as well. I changed my dns from eircom's to open dns and things have been running a lot better for me since. If you want to change your dns take a look at this site: https://www.opendns.com/start/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Condi wrote: »

Why F**k Eircom ? You're on Digiweb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

ak27 wrote: »
    I use eircom as well. I changed my dns from eircom's to open dns and things have been running a lot better for me since. If you want to change your dns take a look at this site: https://www.opendns.com/start/

Im on open DNS

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KetchupKid

Eircom is a total disgrace. I'm suppose to have the 7MB package and I'm lucky if I ever get 2MB and half the time it's so slow it can even connect to the internet. I had dial-up that was better than this. I only recently switched from Irish Broadband after their rate increase and I'm sorry. Irish Broadband hardly ever had a problem and in the past month Eircom has been unusable about a dozen times. I understand there's contention, but you should have some minimum connection speed, you should be able to connect to the internet and it should be better than dial-up!!!! I think part of the problem is Eircom thinks they are still civil servants and don't care about their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Guys unless you have

1) Phoned Eircom/Your ISP and lodged an official complaint. (Put it in those words)
    2) Phoned Comreg and told them about the issue and the complaint ID

Nothing will get done. Even at that the chances of resolution are small but they are much better than just moaning about it here (however therapeutic it maybe!!).

There must be hundreds? Maybe even thousands of people affected by this. Regardless of if you are with Eircom/BT/UTV you must log and official fault.

If you are with Eircom phone them every night. Ask for updates. If they say they can't give you one. Phone the next day. and the next day and the next day. The more people that start bugging the **** out of them the more likely they are to pull the finger out and start providing a service that we are all paying over the odds for!!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Xcellor wrote: »
    Guys unless you have

1) Phoned Eircom/Your ISP and lodged an official complaint. (Put it in those words)
    2) Phoned Comreg and told them about the issue and the complaint ID

Nothing will get done. Even at that the chances of resolution are small but they are much better than just moaning about it here (however therapeutic it maybe!!).

There must be hundreds? Maybe even thousands of people affected by this. Regardless of if you are with Eircom/BT/UTV you must log and official fault.

If you are with Eircom phone them every night. Ask for updates. If they say they can't give you one. Phone the next day. and the next day and the next day. The more people that start bugging the **** out of them the more likely they are to pull the finger out and start providing a service that we are all paying over the odds for!!

why the **** bother, it'll do nothing
    they know theres an issue, believe it or not, they're not sitting there eating cigars. The more people that ring in won't speed it up

If you work in IT, you know what I mean

Its just something that happens!

Our networks were down today & yesterday in work, like ALL of them
    16,000 people to support and them all ringing in sayin, "I heard the message about slow networks, but mine is going really slow, is there anything you can do?"

NO, everyones in the same boat, its being looked at!

I have no doupt that eircom are working on the issue

"I have no doupt that eircom are working on the issue"

I'm sure they are working on the issue, but what kind of priority are they giving it and how many resources. If you wok in IT you know the different levels of priorities. Considering how many people this is effecting and how long it's been an issue, in my opinion it hasn't been given high enough priority.

I have logged a call. This has been hard since typically I've had the problems at night and the Eircom fault reporting telephone system (1901) is turned off at 10PM and the recording tells you to log it online, but I can't even log the calls online because it's soooooo slow!!!! It just came backup but my 7MB connection is operating at 1MB now and I was able to log it online.

Yes, all should call Eircom and get them to raise the priority. Call 1901 between 8AM-10PM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

You know, the words contention and over subscription are unholy in Eircom.

I called Eircom this morning and I got the usual BS, since my broadband was working fine then. When I said I thought it was a contention issue he said NO. He asked me to try the troubleshooting methods and I told him I had tried them all, plus it's not an internal or hardware issue since it all works fine during the day. He said all looked fine and there was nothing he could do and I should call back in the evening if/when it's slow.

Later this afternoon I received a call from another Eircom person in response to my email. He tried some tests and concluded it was clearly a contention issue and said there was nothing he could do about it. He also indicated that the 3MB package would be better than the 7MB package when there's a lot of traffic.

This evening I did a speedtest and my supposed 7MB was less than 0.5MB, so I called 1901 again. The person I spoke with said there's a problem and opened a case and will send out an engineer.

I believe this is clearly a traffic issue and unless the engineer can change my routing I doubt he will be able to help. I also find it strange that I've received 3 different opinions from 3 different Eircom people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

keep us updated.. i dunno about you but at the immediate moment i am getting a QUARTER OF A MEG. only consistency i ever recall.. didn't feel compulsed to test my speed around the place prior to lately with the flat battery 'notebook' i previously owned, didn't trust the wifi card either.. only gotten a modern computer (MBA) so i can once n for all know for sure. whilst it smetimes hits a max of what i can probably only expect (about 6.10mb.. not often) the wavering always has me wondering is it router distance (hall>loft) or is it eircom.

this is crazy right now. phonecalls tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Make sure you updated and are virus free.

However

My speed test resulted in 0.5 MB when i should have 3Mb. I am almost certain its an eircom issue.

My reason for this is that off peak it will reach the usual 2.6 Mb.Its usually during peak times it drops to 0.5 MB.

All you can do is keep a record of your speedtests and please post here so people can gauge whats happening..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

yeah its contention alright then. dang man over subscription huh lol ..

Speedtest is now tabbed central on my Safari so a lot of tests going on. disturbing fluctuations, low speeds more common. lowEST speeds. most common - this is a mess right now with eircom guys, reeeally bad. as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Madman08

pirelli wrote: »
    Make sure you updated and are virus free.

However

My speed test resulted in 0.5 MB when i should have 3Mb. I am almost certain its an eircom issue.

My reason for this is that off peak it will reach the usual 2.6 Mb.Its usually during peak times it drops to 0.5 MB.

All you can do is keep a record of your speedtests and please post here so people can gauge whats happening..

Ditto. There's no doubt that Eircom have overloaded the exchanges around the country.
    I reckon that, sadly, as more people have been let go from their work,
    there are more users using their home broadband to surf and probably
    look for work. Hence the crazy congestion.

I can't imagine another reason why this has only all of a sudden happened. (Well the last month anyways)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

Def a capacity issue , to which I have now falling into

after some 40mails over and back and countless phone calls.It was confirm yesterday to me that the exchange capacity was gone over and that there was no plan to update it in the near future .

so now I have 3mb line that drops packets every 45sec , so no matter what provider I go too I will have the same problem .ADSL that is

I could go wireless but single income , blah blah blah broke blah blah blah

So would Do we complain to about this? currently Im trying the wall

Oh exchange is Newport CO. Tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

There is no god ........ok that is a bit harsh

thru some insider trading i found out the following

Newport exchange is 48mb ADSL ( not sure what that really means ) it is way over capacity , and has been scheduled for up grade, great you say ........but then new tech goes to the top 150 exchanges and newport doesnt even make the top 200, so for those of you in the top 150 exchanges . I hate all of you.

to ppl in places like newport , We are over a barrel and thats about all we can have is shafted .

It's a capacity issue and if nothing is done about it, it will just get worse. I also looked at the list of exchanges to be upgraded and they are all in and around Dublin, none in the West. Once again the West gets screwed.

I also found it strange that a 3MB connection is faster than a 7MB connection when there's congestion problems. Way for Eircom to look after the customers that are paying more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Can someone point me to a list of exchanges to be updated? When I got on to Eircom on Tuesday I actually got somewhere, they are sending someone out to my exchange and if I ring Eircom now I'm getting an automated message saying I logged a fault that should be fixed in the next three days.

Fixing a fault and upgrading an exchange isn't necessarily the same, but here's a link to the exchanges due for upgrade I found on the Eircom site:

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=160&E=0000000000187535487&K=6825&SXI=17&case=10452&branch=4

I'm on Priory Park so it looks like I'm set for an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

KetchupKid wrote: »
    Fixing a fault and upgrading an exchange isn't necessarily the same, but here's a link to the exchanges due for upgrade I found on the Eircom site:

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=160&E=0000000000187535487&K=6825&SXI=17&case=10452&branch=4

By the way these are not just capacity upgrades. 'Ngn' anyone? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah it has been very slow for me too. :(

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Hi guys,

Been down in Carrigaline all day. BUT yi hay, we just got back up as of 17:50 today - 25/9/09

Though speed is still an issue I have to add ..

Aidan

• Advertisement

Perfect tonight. First time in ages.

Advertisement