Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 103 Discussion (Will contain spoilers)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Did anyone see the post fight press conference? Apparently White announced silva would face belfort next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭wandy

Did anyone see the post fight press conference? Apparently White announced silva would face belfort next.

Dont think its a cert yet but he mentioned that belfort would provide a fresh face to put in front of anderson. I think its a good idea as the fight would keep Silva interested in the MW division. I feel he doesnt value Marquardt or Hendo as challengers as he's already blasted through them again. Perhaps if Silva is out injured and Hendo still hasnt signed on for the Marquart fight then Marquardt vs Belfort will duke it out for no.1 contender status.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

I hope Vitor gets another fight before taking on Silva. Him and Henderson would be a good fight I'd say. It was good to see the quick hands and KO power again that's for sure. Back to the drawing board for Poor Franklin though. He's turning into a 'gatekeeper' like Herring and Jardine very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

i never really though franklin was top class anyway.

Hendo vs belfort would be a great match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Jason Mc wrote: »

Yeah, me too. His fights tend to be a bit boring as well.

I often wonder is his image (respectable, educated to masters degree level, used to be a maths teacher) as important to Dana as his fighting skills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Jason Mc wrote: »

Hendo vs belfort would be a great match.
    AARRRGH wrote: »
    Yeah, me too. His fights tend to be a bit boring as well.

I often wonder is his image (respectable, educated to masters degree level, used to be a maths teacher) as important to Dana as his fighting skills.

Record of 27-4, only defeats to anderson silva, a very close loss to dan henderson and sat night to vitor belfort. Just because he doesnt show up and KO people in fashion does NOT mean hes just an average fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Tones69 wrote: »
    , a very close loss to dan henderson
    May just be me but i thought that fight should have been a draw.

Isn't it 27-5? He's lost to Silva twice, Machida, Hendo and now Vitor. I think it's highly unfair on Franklin to claim he's in the UFC because of image and not his skills. I mean he's beaten top tier fighters, his fights with Hendo and Wandy were really exciting and I personally had him winning the Hendo fight and when I spoke to Joe Rogan after the fight he said that he thought Rich won too. It was razor thin. With that said, I was rooting for Vitor on Saturday and am delighted that he's back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Apparently the cut to 195 was quite rough for Vitor, so 185 may take alot out of him if not done right

Hard to see how he is most deserved of the title shot but still its the fight I most want to see at MW

dunkamania wrote: »
    Apparently the cut to 195 was quite rough for Vitor, so 185 may take alot out of him if not done right
    He's made 185 twice before. Also, i watched his blog, the scales in the gym were wrong, hence he was overweight. I think he'll be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

GSPfan wrote: »
    If only they had a 225 weight division. Randy and Cro Cop would love that.
    I agree, there is too big a gap between LHW and HW.
    155-170-185-205-265

In recent years, the HW div has moved towards bigger guys and there are alot of fighters whose ideal natural weight isn't ideal for any class.

It obvious that a new weight devision would be called Cruiserweight, and probably best between 225 and 235lbs.

However, would a new class dilute the fighter pool too much. Is 6 belts too much? I thonk its ok, there isn't a huge difference between 5 and 6 divisions.
    and a cruiser weight would allow far more scope for a fighter to hold two belts at once (far more likely than at lower divisions based on current high standard), which makes it more interesting.
    Fozzy wrote: »
    Who's "we"? I certainly don't want to see it! Anderson would destroy Le. And if Le ever did join the UFC he'd be fighting at welterweight
    What makes yo say that?
    Hasn't be been pretty much top level 185 for some time now?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Machida annihilated Franklin, check youtube. Knocked him out in one round I think.

You can't fault Franklin's heart but he's painfully boring to watch and doesn't seem to have any sort of explosive knock out skills whatsoever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Mirko:
    “This was not the kind of performance the public pay for,” admitted Cro Cop. “I don’t feel the hunger anymore. I have started playing it safe, I’m not prepared to take risks.”

“I’ve been living a military life for 20 years now. Getting up at 6 am and working hard physically until 8 p.m. I want a normal life. I’m entering a cage and thinking about fishing in Privlaka. You can’t win that way. Maybe I should have quit after I won the [PRIDE FC] Open Weight Grand Prix.”

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Jesus that's tough to read. Whatever he decides the guy's a legend in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Watching the CroCop/Dos Santos fight I couldn't help but think that CroCop should have retired already. I hope he takes his own advice now and enjoys a well earned retirement. He just can't pull the trigger anymore. Unfortunately he sees this as "playing it safe" but naturally aggressive fighters who become gunshy are in reality not playing it safe at all, just inviting punishment (see Oscar De La Hoya). I mean, what was so safe about not throwing shots and walking straight backwards while getting hit repeatedly by a powerful striker like Dos Santos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭O'Leprosy

dunkamania wrote: »
    +1

I am a mma fan not a K-1 fan
    Couldn't agree more, the most boring UFC EVER. Ok, only seen from the Tyson Griffin Vs. Hermes Franca fight on but what did I see, three 1st round stoppages, a early 2nd and a 3rd when a has been and soon to be has been had a bit of a rumble. A f**king joke it was. No take downs, no BJJ - ( not even a decent head kick, at least you'd probably see that in K1 ).

K1 in an Octagon that's all it was. Sh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

O'Leprosy wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, the most boring UFC EVER. Ok, only seen from the Tyson Griffin Vs. Hermes Franca fight on but what did I see, three 1st round stoppages, a early 2nd and a 3rd when a has been and soon to be has been had a bit of a rumble. A f**king joke it was. No take downs, no BJJ - ( not even a decent head kick, at least you'd probably see that in K1 ).

K1 in an Octagon that's all it was. Sh!t.

Ehh i dont see how it was a joke to be honest, styles make fights and people have game plans, they aint gonna just change that half way through the fight just because the crowd or "fans" arent happy, its just the way it happens sometimes, i thought it was a great night of fights...Frank trigg wud have liked to take kos down but we both know he'd struggle there,so he tried to stand with Kos and got knocked out, there was no way the cro cop/dos santos fight was hittin the ground, kampmann tried to get Daley to the ground but it just wasnt happening, hermes franca is top class bjj so tyson wanted to keep it standing! It happens man, gotta just enjoy it for what it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭O'Leprosy

Tones69 wrote: »
    Ehh i dont see how it was a joke to be honest, styles make fights and people have game plans, they aint gonna just change that half way through the fight just because the crowd or "fans" arent happy, its just the way it happens sometimes, i thought it was a great night of fights...Frank trigg wud have liked to take kos down but we both know he'd struggle there,so he tried to stand with Kos and got knocked out, there was no way the cro cop/dos santos fight was hittin the ground, kampmann tried to get Daley to the ground but it just wasnt happening, hermes franca is top class bjj so tyson wanted to keep it standing! It happens man, gotta just enjoy it for what it is!
    It was sh!t and nothing else. Even Joe Rogan commented that the striking wasn't up there with K1 and top Muay Thai - for the obvious reasons that a supposed MMA fighter has to diversify and learn/practise Wrestling and BJJ also. The striking was sloppy, big swings and hooks etc that a pro boxer would knock out with a counter in an instance, very bad representation of MMA.
    The reason I loved the UFC ( and I started out boxing and TKD, only took up BJJ after watching the UFC ) was the range of skills, grappling, BJJ etc and the anything can happen nature of it. That nonsense I seen last night, feel sorry for the people who paid in to watch that rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

i agree with some of the above but think the
    likes of kosch/trigg was a mismatch
    i felt trigg never had any hope of beating koscheck
    i enjoyed the griffin fight even if it was mainly a stand up battle
    the miller fight was a war until it finished and overall
    maybe there was one too many brawls

the quarry/credeur fight on fight night was as exciting as you
    could wish to see..2 guys who like to bang tho i must admit
    i didnt think credeur would bang for three rounds

i guess if you practice mma then maybe you want to see
    more aspects of mma