Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 103 Discussion (Will contain spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

jayteecork wrote: »
    Cro Cop looks a broken man.

yip and sad to see.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Anyone see the rick story fight? Finished him with an arm triangle from inside the guard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

MrStuffins wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Typical of you!

I dont see how it is. Im far from the most elistist on here. That comment by lafors still doesnt make sense. It may of been a throw away line but I still dont know if it was.
    siochain wrote: »
    yip and sad to see.......

Althought not unexpected given his sham of a performance with Al Turk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Right.
    Awful show - entertainent and bet wise.

I'm off to bed.

Excellent Show imo

homer_facepalm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

rovert wrote: »
    If true why make the comment as it makes no sense

Maybe you should stop trying to fight with people. We get it, you want us all to know you're so knowledgeable about MMA. Well done.

jayteecork wrote:
    Awful show - entertainent and bet wise.

I didn't have any money on it, but I also thought it was a poor show. I thought Yves Lavigne or whatever was a bit quick to end the fights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I said the last event was one of the better ufc's in a while , this was enjoyed by me just as much :)

Cro Cop was just heat breaking for me to watch, have to say though his pride tshirt did bring a smile to my face :)

Great to see almost all, in not all the fights on the card being aired.

And great to see Daly get himself a win, don't think it was Yves fault the fight got stopped, I agreed with Joe Rogan when he said, live it looked clear cut that it should have been stopped , the replay in slowmo would say other wise, as they say hindsight and slow motion replays are 20/20 .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Maybe you should stop trying to fight with people. We get it, you want us all to know you're so knowledgeable about MMA. Well done.

Im not picking a fight with anyone but people like yourself seem to keep bringing it up for some reason. Knowing that Cro Cop's trademark theme is Wild Boys is hardly special knowledge more trivia than anything else. So I dont know why you would think I "want us all to know you're so knowledgeable about MMA." If that was my intention I would use fighters ring music as my method.

Anyway the press conference was interesting if you have the time to watch it. Paul Daley SO gets the fight business like it is not funny and Dana teasing the return of Chuck is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Jesus Mirko was just upsetting to watch last night. Don't know if I'd ever have had any interest in watching, let alone training, MMA if it wasn't for him. Felt a bit teary after the fight, and couldn't rouse myself to get into the main event even though I'd be a big Vitor fan. With both CC and Wanderlei on the wane it's all a bit sad in Maynard's world these days:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

im not really surprised at mirkos performance, well done to dos santos, very good event, great performance alround altho i really was hoping franklin would pull it out in a decision, guess not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

crap card. crap fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I hesitantly predicted Dos Santos to beat up Cro Cop. I have never watched Cro Cop in Pride so I don't have the loyalty and respect that his fans have for him but I hate to see a Legend get beat up. I hope he gives it up now. Or at least give it a shot at 205 but the UFC Heavyweight division is no place for him.

If only they had a 225 weight division. Randy and Cro Cop would love that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

crap card. crap fights.

Nice input there, i thought it was a great night and to be honest i thought the stoppages were justified, martin kampmann was very hurt and lavigne had a very very close view to be fair, as paul daley said his eyes rolled back a couple of times, one or two more and it was lights out for kampmann, was very disappointed with drew mc fredries and cole miller but ya cant have em all i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I just found the whole card very flat and uninspiring. The only decent fight was the cro-cop/desanotos one and even that was kind of painful. I heard the prelims were much better so will have to check them out.

The stoppages were a bit ropey when you look back at them tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 useless_name

The Trigg and Kampmann ones were just. Kampmann would've been KO'd. Nobody can doubt that in fairness. Trigg was only a matter of time. If he did survive the beating, he would've been slightly rocked throughout the rest of the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

On a positive it's good to see Vitor Belfort again. He looked good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Some silly back and forth earlier in the thread, knock it off or else bannings

Vitor looked great, There will be calls for a fight against ANderson at MW, probably a bit premature though

Trigg looks his age, good stoppage, not defending himself

Never a Crocop fan, and figured Dos Santos would take it.

Kampmann stoppage was probably right, it depends on the angle you see it from. Ref jumped in, and then Kampmann immediately raised up his guard. Better safe than sorry, and Lavigne has made alot worse calls.

Enjoyed Emerson fight, brutal leg kicks

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

So Cro Cop's deal was 3 fights wasn't it?

Guess we'll see him one more time.

Vitor/Silva should be a good match up, but of course we all want to see Cung Le/Silva but the ****er has pissed off again to do another movie. Plus he's 38 now so we'll be lucky if we ever see it.

Very disappointed with last night. All 4 bets lost, plus the line up was poor imo.
    Guess watching it in a grainy little box in my PC had something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

There was a little too much stand up fighting on the show for me. Fights like Griffin/Franca can be great when it's two guys who you really care about, but when it's guys like those two then that first round can get very boring

I loved the Story submission

I'm surprised when people still get really confident about Cro Cop winning. When was the last time that he looked really dangerous in a fight? It was back in PRIDE, nearly ten fights ago at this stage I think. I haven't read any news coming out of the show yet, I thought that he must really be gone blind in one eye and got worried or his eye socket broke and he knew he couldn't risk it anymore. But it looked like he just got fed up and quit, because his eye didn't look that bad really

Trigg was definitely out, I would have liked to see him go longer. I'm not sure, but it looked kind of like Koscheck caught him at the side or back of the head with that first strike that dropped him. Kind of like Serra's first strike that rocked GSP, it was to the soft part of the head

Kampmann losing leaves GSP with no obvious challengers at all now. He seemed content to stand when really he should have done his best to get it the ground because that is where he'd have the significant advantage. Well done to Daley though, he'll do well if he keeps fights on the feet

The main event was a bit disappointing. Nothing really happened until Belfort knocked Franklin down, and it wasn't really clear what did it

A so-so card for me. I can't wait for 106 though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Vitor/Silva should be a good match up, but of course we all want to see Cung Le/Silva but the ****er has pissed off again to do another movie. Plus he's 38 now so we'll be lucky if we ever see it.

Who's "we"? I certainly don't want to see it! Anderson would destroy Le. And if Le ever did join the UFC he'd be fighting at welterweight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Please dont! None of you are gonna agree no matter how many examples you give on the subject of your disagreement so just leave it. Another thread riddled with nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

jeez cung le has a serious record going, what i wanna see is Gegard v Silva!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

6/09/2009 €20.00 To Win - Accumulator (5) Phones 1 Nate Quarry v Tim Credeur
    Nate Quarry
    4/11 Win €0.00 €0.00
    - Josh Koscheck v Frank Trigg
    Josh Koscheck
    1/4 Win
    - Efrain Escudero v Cole Miller
    Efrain Escudero
    8/13 Win
    - Junior Dos Santos v Mirko Cro-Cop
    Junior Dos Santos
    4/5 Win
    - Rich Franklin v Vitor Belfort
    Rich Franklin
    8/15 Lose

just finished watching it to see my fivefold for 150ish go down the drain with franklin

i was a bit worried and when his odds were showing up at 8/11 last nite
    i was thinking maybe belfort might have been underestimated so i figured
    if we got the old belfort then he might have too much speed for franklin tho
    in all honesty i never expected that i wouldnt at least get a run for my money

i covered my bet with a small treble on koshc dos santos and escudero
    but it was still hard to take

a decent enough ufc overall for me
    very impressed with tyson griffin and dos anjos
    not that tyson beat franca but the way he beat him was impressive
    it was very hard to make a case for frank trigg against koscheck imo
    As for cc...shame really but he hasnt exactly shone in the ufc at all
    he did well enough to last as long as he did against a very dangerous guy

mc fedries was very poor i thought for whatever reason

machida, velasquez look bankers for the next one
    and probably okami...i often wonder why the hell
    they keep putting okami on the undercards?
    his ufc record is as good as anyones yes he never gets
    any breaks
    he aint exciting to watch i guess but i never seen anyone
    take him apart
    surprised he didnt get a shot at silva a long time ago in the ufc

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

19.Sep 2009 11:38 7/7 20.00 W Accum
    UFC 103 - Franklin v Belfort :
    To Win Fight Belfort, Vitor 21/20 Won Won 20.00 802.30
    UFC 103 - Koscheck v Trigg : To Win Fight Koscheck, Josh 2/9 Won
    UFC 103 - Drwal v Mcfedries : To Win Fight Drwal, Tomasz 10/11 Won
    UFC 103 - Matyushenko v Pokrajaz : To Win Fight Matyushenko, Vladimir 4/11 Won
    UFC 103 - Miller v Lopez : To Win Fight Miller, Jim 1/6 Won
    UFC 103 - Griffin v Franca : To Win Fight Griffin, Tyson 2/7 Won
    UFC 103 - Kampmann v Daley : To Win Fight Daley, Paul 31/10 Won

I woke up a very happy monkey this morning :D

I had a good feeling about Daley, he's a great striker and I figured Kampmann wouldnt try take him down...took a wee bit of a chance on Vitor, glad the right one turned up!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

roo1981 wrote: »
    19.Sep 2009 11:38 7/7 20.00 W Accum
    UFC 103 - Franklin v Belfort :
    To Win Fight Belfort, Vitor 21/20 Won Won 20.00 802.30
    UFC 103 - Koscheck v Trigg : To Win Fight Koscheck, Josh 2/9 Won
    UFC 103 - Drwal v Mcfedries : To Win Fight Drwal, Tomasz 10/11 Won
    UFC 103 - Matyushenko v Pokrajaz : To Win Fight Matyushenko, Vladimir 4/11 Won
    UFC 103 - Miller v Lopez : To Win Fight Miller, Jim 1/6 Won
    UFC 103 - Griffin v Franca : To Win Fight Griffin, Tyson 2/7 Won
    UFC 103 - Kampmann v Daley : To Win Fight Daley, Paul 31/10 Won

I woke up a very happy monkey this morning :D

I had a good feeling about Daley, he's a great striker and I figured Kampmann wouldnt try take him down...took a wee bit of a chance on Vitor, glad the right one turned up!

nice one
    great odds on daly
    didnt know anything about him so i stayed away
    from that one
    when i realised he was a muay thai world champion before
    he entered the ring i feared for kamp but it was too late then
    to get on
    paddy were only 9/4 on him

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

Try giving Boylesports a shot for the MMA betting mailburner, i find they tend to give ways better odds on the accumulators than paddys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Fozzy wrote: »
    There was a little too much stand up fighting on the show for me. Fights like Griffin/Franca can be great when it's two guys who you really care about, but when it's guys like those two then that first round can get very boring

I loved the Story submission

+1

I am a mma fan not a K-1 fan

• Registered Users Posts: 19,158 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

dunkamania wrote: »
    +1

I actually disagree, i thought the fight was very exciting and Griffin's level of Boxing is amazing for MMA. I love a good ground battle, but i think a good stand up battle, even if both fighters seem slightly cautious, can be just as good.

I was watching the show with my dad and he couldn't believe Tyson Griffin was a wrestler, he was convinced he had to be a pro boxer.

And the same note, i watched the begining of UFN19 with my mother, she nearly wore herself out shouting at the TV during the Quarry v Credeur, it was amazing to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭wandy

Originally seeing the fight card was a bit underwhelmed but I was happy with the fights, plenty of knockouts :cool:

Thought Belfort looked in good condition, still has the speed from the early days for sure, perhaps too early to be talking bout title fight with Anderson at MW but at least he'd be a fresh opponent for Silva who potentially has the speed needed to beat him (am doubting that even as I write it tho).
    Cro Cop was outclassed and it made for the second lackluster performance in a row. Dos Santos is proving to be a solid fighter and im sure we will see a good next fight out of him too. Potentially vs Velasquez or Carwin if they lose their next fights.
    Loved the Daley Kampmann fight. I like cheering on fighters who are close enough to home unfortunately for Kampmann England is geographically closer to Ireland than Denmark so Daley had my support haha!
    Trigg is over the hill. Koscheck's performance must put him a couple steps up the welterweight ladder. Perhaps Kos v Kampmann next??
    Griffin looked sharp. Would like to see him in against Frankie Edgar or maybe winner of Joe Stevenson v Spencer Fisher???

Looking forward to 104 and then ringside for 105... cant wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭powerzjim

roll on 105!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

dunkamania wrote: »
    +1

Some might say by definition K-1 is a form of mma ;)

sorry I couldn't resist :D

Advertisement