Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

hardCopy wrote: »
    The M50 is the only real free flow. The rest are a poor effort. Overhead gantry charging should be the standard by now.
    I agree, but they'll spend too much time (money) chasing after unregistered vehicles, so they won't install such a system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Could anyone estimate based on works to this point. Are they ahead of schedule or have there been big delays? What shape will Newlands cross be December 23rd 2014? Is it conceivable they would be done by Christmas or am I raving?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Hard to know. I'd say they might be abit behind. The original timeline had phase 3 starting in Feb 14-Aug 14. The diagram for that showed that the lanes to the left of the new fly-over ramp (coming from Kildare) would have been ready before now. They look like they will be ready in the next few weeks. However, the fly-over ramp itself looks to be progressing well now so those other lanes aren't that important.
    Phases 4-6 (Aug - Jan 15) appear to be more tiding up the junction and Belgard Rd once the ramp is up and running. I'd say it'll be close by Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

The left hand lanes are almost done I'd say,contractors are flying up and down them every morning when I'm walking past heading to work anyway.Surprised how quickly they thew up the Kildare side of the flyover.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Yeah, hopefully they get those two inside lanes open soon as it's gone pretty slow in the mornings recently. Saying that schools should be off soon so that will help aswell.

Maybe someone else can confirm but once the ramp is built, I presume they will start to use it (maybe Aug / Sept) so they can tidy up the rest of the junction underneath it and remove some of the lights. So that will be interesting once that's complete. We aren't too far away from that now. Given that traffic will be good until schools are back in Sept it would be great if it the ramp opened then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭omicron

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Yeah, hopefully they get those two inside lanes open soon as it's gone pretty slow in the mornings recently. Saying that schools should be off soon so that will help aswell.

Maybe someone else can confirm but once the ramp is built, I presume they will start to use it (maybe Aug / Sept) so they can tidy up the rest of the junction underneath it and remove some of the lights. So that will be interesting once that's complete. We aren't too far away from that now. Given that traffic will be good until schools are back in Sept it would be great if it the ramp opened then.

The M50 will be a disaster come September for a while when it opens with the increased throughput of traffic in the mornings, at least until people adjust I'd say.
    On the other hand it'll be a massive improvement i the evenings!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Allegedly the ongoing strike at CRH has effectively put a hold on the works here. Can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

seamus wrote: »
    Allegedly the ongoing strike at CRH has effectively put a hold on the works here. Can anyone confirm?

If the aggregates and other materials are coming from Belgard Rd then it will have an effect thats assuming they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭rameire

They were using stone from crh tallaght and this has stopped the movement of new stone onto the site.
    They did seem to be stock piling stone on the site and are now moving it around as they build up the walls.
    The four pillars in the centre I believe are all complete now.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

rameire wrote: »
    The four pillars in the centre I believe are all complete now.

They are, the shutters are removed on the 4 of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

tharlear wrote: »
    Monthly fee on the etag is a rip off.
    I have a Ipass in the US. If I don't use it for x months the balance stays the same
    I have 2 cars reg to it. If I forget to move it to the other car I can travel through the "open road tolling" and it will recognise the license plate and deduct from the account balance. Tolls with Tag (or without tag in a car registered to the tag) are 50% the cash price
    $50 to get it, $40 in tolls and a $10 deposit on the tag. If you send the tag back becasue you are closing the acount you get your $10 plus interest back. Simple and easy, it encourages people to get tags which with open road tolling improves traffic flow.

If the price is the same and it recognises the car without the tag anyway, what's the point of the tag?

If the price is the same and it recognises the car without the tag anyway, what's the point of the tag?
    It's a double check used in poor visibility & if the plates are dirty.
    I wonder what would happen if you used someone else’s tag?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Start to now... in 18 seconds...

Just browsing this camera on DCC site & noticed all cameras are dated 15/04/13.
    Anyone else getting this?

No wonder they are broke them time machine cameras must have cost a fortune (!) ;)

Just browsing this camera on DCC site & noticed all cameras are dated 15/04/13.
    Anyone else getting this?

No wonder they are broke them time machine cameras must have cost a fortune (!) ;)

I had the same issue last week, and I tweeted livedrive, and within a half hour it was back to normal.
    just checked the cameras now and they are running fine.

Update from may on the N7N11 website.
    http://www.n7n11.ie/n7-update/

some overhead images of the works from what looks like springtime included in the above link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Has anybody any up-dated photos of the scheme,maybe someone working on site etc

the wife drives by every day, so there may be something on the dash cam, ill have a gander tonight, and plonk it up if so.

things seem to have slowed down now, it looks like to me anyway that the Roadstone strike is having an affect.

sometimes I feel like stopping at the people on strike and shouting at them to build a bridge and get over it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

313263.jpg
    313264.jpg
    313265.jpg
    313266.jpg
    313267.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Has anyone any update as to when the next lane change is happening? i.e. inbound splitting around the ramp. Think it's due around the end of July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Has anyone any update as to when the next lane change is happening? i.e. inbound splitting around the ramp. Think it's due around the end of July.

Is it me or does it strike anyone else as the flyover looks quite narrow?
    To say 3 lanes either side, a meridian (ooops meant Median) & presumably some kind of service footpath/lights etc has to fit in there. Seems like its gonna be a tight squeeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

To say 3 lanes either side, a meridian & presumably some kind of service footpath/lights etc has to fit in there. Seems like its gonna be a tight squeeze.

I wouldn't worry about accommodating a meridian, those things are infinitely thin ;)

mackerski wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about accommodating a meridian, those things are infinitely thin ;)

Looking at the overall width of the flyover that may not be a bad thing......:D

The strike at Roadstone is suspended for the moment till a ballot takes place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

To say 3 lanes either side, a meridian (ooops meant Median) & presumably some kind of service footpath/lights etc has to fit in there. Seems like its gonna be a tight squeeze.
    Note that one of the overhead pics shows a row of 6 columns on one side of the junction, and 4 on the other. There will be 6 on both sides in the final configuration.

Must be gearing up for the inbound lane switchover soon enough. Access from Boot Road has been closed off since 7pm this evening, and floodlights, tarmacking and lots of other loud work has been going on all night.

BAM used to be fairly good at informing local residents about disruptive works but they haven't bothered for tonights events.Who needs sleep for a 12 hour shift sure!

Letter in the door from BAM this evening.Will be late night works on the 17th,18th and 20th to complete essential bridge works across the junction,and the Naas Road inbound traffic layout will be altered on Saturday the 19th.

Also said the works are on schedule and due to be completed by the end of January 2015.

I'll miss my quiet cycles down here in the mornings,will be choked with two lanes of traffic from Sunday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Davy wrote: »
    313263.jpg
    313264.jpg
    313265.jpg
    313266.jpg
    313267.jpg

Cheers , excellent photos

Advertisement