Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Past by the other evening while the inbound lanes were still closed. They had dug a big hole in the middle of the inbound carriageway and were working in it. This was below the temp lanes so I'd imagine the burst mains wasn't so much a case of a pipe being hit by machinery (as this is 100 yards short of the junction), but the weight of traffic on the overhead lanes, causing a rupture.
    Only my own take on it mind....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

The big stack of pipes on the left of the video suggest the works burst the mains....
    I wonder who's gonna pay for the water....

Digging work where those concrete pipes are (fenced off new slip road) has been finished for a week or two,surface has been tarmaced and everything.Walk by there twice a day and the contractor seems to use that area for storage,car parking and portaloos so doubt it was works that caused the burst.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭rameire

took this on the day, of the second burst pipe.

306069.jpg
    definitely in the new temporary lanes

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

They have started to install the concrete walls on the south side of the junction.

Start to now... in 18 seconds...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats brilliant. Keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Now if we can only get them to work as fast as that in real life....... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I should have a good view of the works from now on. Starting a job on Monday where all you can see out the window is the grey wall of the side of the bridge . :-)

Just a small road stone blurb about their involvement
    http://www.roadstone.ie/n7-newlands-cross-free-flow-interchange/

Currently lights are out at newlands cross

There are also some changes this weekend to the layout

http://t.co/ZVZmZgxdaO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

was driving back from the airport yesterday, traffic heading n7 outbound insane, the q to get off the m50 was unreal. Probably down to the one direction gig and it being down to one lane...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/traffic-gridlock-as-dublin-at-standstill-due-to-one-direction-and-voting-30299557.html

Yesterday was the worst traffic I've seen in Dublin in my three years here. One Direction gig, Friday night, rainy Friday and the elections.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I got home in only slightly worse time than normal yesterday - left Mayor Street at 5:08. Serious issues on the M4/N4 so I dived towards Celbridge and over Barnhall, back of Leixlip, Pikes Bridge. Wasn't bad everywhere... just most places it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

MYOB wrote: »
    I got home in only slightly worse time than normal yesterday - left Mayor Street at 5:08. Serious issues on the M4/N4 so I dived towards Celbridge and over Barnhall, back of Leixlip, Pikes Bridge. Wasn't bad everywhere... just most places it seems!

Any idea what the story was with the traffic on the M4? I left work late because the traffic was so bad. I joined the M4 west bound at about 19:45 and it was crawling in places as far as junction 7 Maynooth.

I asked @n7n11traffic
    I'm thinking it will be within the next 4 to 6 weeks that the inbound lanes will be changing?

They replied just now with
    hopefully by the end of June there will be further changes to the N7 inbound lanes

So I am assuming the new roads will be operational inbound, so 1 lane to the right and 2 to the left of the roadworks inbound before Newlands Cross.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

highdef wrote: »
    Any idea what the story was with the traffic on the M4? I left work late because the traffic was so bad. I joined the M4 west bound at about 19:45 and it was crawling in places as far as junction 7 Maynooth.

There's a massive amount of damage to the barriers on the other side of the road, so its possible it was rubbernecking.

Is it my imagination or did a right turn lane inbound disappear in the last day or two? There is currently only one lane turning right for tallaght coming inbound to the city.... I thought I remembered seeing 2?
    I'd say we can't be far off "Phase 3" with the split of the inbound lanes 2 left and 1 right of the bridge.
    It's fair to say too that the rate of work is pretty high as the landscape seems to be changing daily on the west side of the junction.

The Greenisle camera has been back up the last couple of weeks (down for a few months before that). Here is a timelapse of its view of the area over the past weeks. Swings around quite a bit so not sure its of much interest, except for those interested in the project who don't travel through much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Is it my imagination or did a right turn lane inbound disappear in the last day or two? There is currently only one lane turning right for tallaght coming inbound to the city.... I thought I remembered seeing 2?
    I'd say we can't be far off "Phase 3" with the split of the inbound lanes 2 left and 1 right of the bridge.
    It's fair to say too that the rate of work is pretty high as the landscape seems to be changing daily on the west side of the junction.

Read post #821 and #826 above you for both answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

When Newlands Cross is finished what will be the longest stretch that you could theoretically drive without stopping (discounting tolls & traffic induced stops) in a/Ireland b/ the Island of Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Presumably the longest stretch in the Republic will be from the start of the M1 @ Dundalk to the Jack Lynch tunnel in Cork. I'm not sure how far north you can go on the A1 without stopping - can you get to Belfast? If so, then you can do Cork to Belfast without stopping. If you have a tank big enough to hold all that liquid (both in the car and the driver :D)

337km according to Google maps.

If you weren't concerned with taking the shortest route, you could also go from Cork to Galway via the M50 (:D), 434km without stopping.

seamus wrote: »
    I'm not sure how far north you can go on the A1 without stopping - can you get to Belfast? If so, then you can do Cork to Belfast without stopping.

Hillsborough south of Lisburn if you count uncontrolled roundabouts as stopping; York Street at the north end of the Westlink if not.

They have started to place the capping stones on the eastern ramp of the flyover on the side walls.
    nice big clunky concrete things.
    they have one of the central pillars poured and cast removed.
    they are currently setting up the second central pillar.
    they have all of the 6 western pillars in place and have started to put in place the walls on both sides of the western ramp.

slip roads on the western part look good but need a top coat of t mac.

they seem to have one eastern slip road now in place and are working on the second.

Once Newlands is done, and when the M17/18 Gort to Tuam is finished, you can just go M4 West to M6 to M6/18. Use the freeflow slip to go south to Limerick and back to Dublin along the M7, through Newlands, north along the M50, west along the M4.

Infinite loop :D

Can't be done the other way around though due to the M17/18 junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

seamus wrote: »
    Presumably the longest stretch in the Republic will be from the start of the M1 @ Dundalk to the Jack Lynch tunnel in Cork. I'm not sure how far north you can go on the A1 without stopping - can you get to Belfast? If so, then you can do Cork to Belfast without stopping. If you have a tank big enough to hold all that liquid (both in the car and the driver :D)

337km according to Google maps.

If you weren't concerned with taking the shortest route, you could also go from Cork to Galway via the M50 (:D), 434km without stopping.

You have to stop at tolls. Until they do free flow that will be the restriction.

MICKEYG wrote: »
    You have to stop at tolls. Until they do free flow that will be the restriction.

Not with a tag on a Cat B vehicle you don't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

MICKEYG wrote: »
    All tolls in Ireland have a freeflow option.
    Doesn't everybody have a tag at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

spacetweek wrote: »

One off/sporadic users/county folk up for the day don't have these. Not worth their while getting a tag with the monthly fee on it. I see far more people using the lanes than the flow section at Kilcock. I imagine its even more using them at non Dublin-commuter tolls (Fermoy, Portlaoise, Ballinasloe etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

Monthly fee on the etag is a rip off.
    I have a Ipass in the US. If I don't use it for x months the balance stays the same
    I have 2 cars reg to it. If I forget to move it to the other car I can travel through the "open road tolling" and it will recognise the license plate and deduct from the account balance. Tolls with Tag (or without tag in a car registered to the tag) are 50% the cash price
    $50 to get it, $40 in tolls and a $10 deposit on the tag. If you send the tag back becasue you are closing the acount you get your $10 plus interest back. Simple and easy, it encourages people to get tags which with open road tolling improves traffic flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

spacetweek wrote: »

The M50 is the only real free flow. The rest are a poor effort. Overhead gantry charging should be the standard by now.

Advertisement