Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coding Horror

Options

Comments

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgrammerHumor/

is an absolute treat at the moment with this missile alert test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Rologyro wrote: »
    I find this thread sort of depressing. In what other industry would you find a boards thread dedicated to making fun of other peoples mistakes?

I'm a software developer three years out of college and I will put my hand up and say I have written bad code. On the other hand I love what I do and improve all the time. The one thing that discourages me from working in this area is some of the people...

I find the industry to be full of arrogant willy-wavers who get a kick out of pointing out other people's lack of knowledge or mistakes. The same people who are actually impossible to work with because they loathe admitting their own mistakes.

Well, when new grads come in looking to improve, you know what I'm going to do? Help and encourage them (revolutionary I know).

Take a look at the Plumbing and Electrical forums, they've stickies for highlighting such mistakes. Don't take it so personally, you've a long road ahead of you, and you may find things educational.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,255 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I don't think there is a developer on this thread who hasn't looked at some old code they've written and tried to figure out what the hell they were thinking when they wrote it.

Aint that the truth - been there, done that and ended up just rewriting it when it still made no sense

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

760abea0d2bd01350b65005056a9545d

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Met Eireann Website still using classic ASP :eek:

https://www.met.ie/default.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Wombatman wrote: »
    Met Eireann Website still using classic ASP :eek:

https://www.met.ie/default.asp

Yes, but it's really fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

bpmurray wrote: »
    Yes, but it's really fast!

That's the fastest loading webpage I've seen in a long time. I'd rather that than a fancy looking page with a 1-3 second delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Jesus it really is fast.

Maybe we should all go back to basics. Make the internet great again!!. :pac::pac::pac:

html tables, some flashing marquee and some fancy gifs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Jesus it really is fast.

Maybe we should all go back to basics. Make the internet great again!!. :pac::pac::pac:

Bring back the blink tag

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jesus it really is fast.

dna.png

There's a lot to be said for KISS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

toggl-how-to-create-horse-with-programming.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I work with c# and it's the only one I don't get.

Earthhorse wrote: »

Me too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,466 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Best guess is a camelCase reference?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

MUojpsa.jpg

A new service i came across today.
    I wont post the name because it might cause them trouble.

When signing up you need to verify your phone number. You receive an SMS and enter the verification code on the website.

When you submit the verification code the site sends a API request and returns JSON containing the correct code and validates it in the browser!!!

SO you just need to do one invalid lookup to see the valid code return in the background which is easily visible with the Developer Tools.

Smart guys! Ive sent them an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

When signing up you need to verify your phone number. You receive an SMS and enter the verification code on the website.

When you submit the verification code the site sends a API request and returns JSON containing the correct code and validates it in the browser!!!

SO you just need to do one invalid lookup to see the valid code return in the background which is easily visible with the Developer Tools.

Christ

Wonder are they offering rewards for security flaws found.

But seriously, what teenager did they hire for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I inherited a WordPress/WooCommerce site that uses the Divi theme. It's running about 70 plugins.
    The developer bumped the version numbers in a number of plugins so that actual newer versions would never be shown as available.

The site also included a plugin that tweaked the names of most of the menu items in the WordPress admin area. This plugin caused issues when using Divi's visual editor.
    Furthermore, that same plugin hid itself from the list of installed plugins.

I'm gonna have to go check something I wrote last year...

• Advertisement

Can you tell us the type of service, was it something simple like a clubcard signup or something more serious like a bank or email provider? Who is at risk, the company or the individual?

GarIT wrote: »
    Can you tell us the type of service, was it something simple like a clubcard signup or something more serious like a bank or email provider? Who is at risk, the company or the individual?

Its not as serious as a bank but they are providing service which gives you a free initial spend amount when you sign up.

Its not as serious as a bank but they are providing service which gives you a free initial spend amount when you sign up.

At least it is the company that is at risk rather than someone verifying themselves as someone else for nefarious purposes.

Found another bug which allowed me to read anyones messages on their internal messenger. They fixed that one immediately!!!
    At this point im just poking around to see what else they have done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Found another bug which allowed me to read anyones messages on their internal messenger. They fixed that one immediately!!!

I've found 7 serious issues with your web service! Number 5 will shock you!

Irish man uses this secret security flaw to get rich quick!

:pac:

Seriously though, might be time to start charging!

You should tell us so we can all poke around too.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

You should tell us so we can all poke around too.;)

A free pen test service? I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Oh ho.... There is some useless bank in america that doesn't verify peoples email addresses AT ALL. So some gob****e with a similar name to me signs up using MY email address - and now I constantly get notifications about every purchase etc he makes. And yes there is a password recovery option which could be used to hijack account.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

srsly78 wrote: »
    Oh ho.... There is some useless bank in america that doesn't verify peoples email addresses AT ALL. So some gob****e with a similar name to me signs up using MY email address - and now I constantly get notifications about every purchase etc he makes. And yes there is a password recovery option which could be used to hijack account.

Send the bank an email informing them of this. Then automatically forward all mail from them to the same email address. They'll eventually sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Already did. They don't seem to care. Now I have just blocked them as spam.

Advertisement