Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our kids are fatties

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ijosicle

This article is BS, and is just justifying laziness. Sure if you insist on meat and two veg every day it will work out more than nuggets and chips, but it is possible to feed your family a healthy diet without breaking the bank if you vary what you make. I know it's easy to get into the habit of feeding processed food to your kids; I was brought up on it, which is maybe why I refuse to give that cr*p to my kids now.

There are so many good things you can make cheaply and you don't have to have meat and two veg every day; homemade chicken in breadcrumbs; Quick, cheap, tasty and two chicken breasts will feed four. Pasta with bacon bits and tinned tomatoes. Cheaper than D*lmio c**p. Much nicer. Bangers and mash with onion gravy. Stir fry with noodles and veg. It's not super-low fat stuff (and it doesn't need to be for growing kids), but it's good, tasty, quick to prepare, kids love it, and it's way healthier than nuggets and chips.

I hate the whinging tone of this article and the lack of honest facts. You know the study they quote is just some BS questionnaire cooked up by a journo looking for a good headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Last Angry Man

I think that arguement of good food being too expensive is rubbish. It takes time but cooking from scratch using fresh meat and veg is way cheaper than buying the same food pre-packaged and pre-prepared. Just takes more time and planning. It;s the crap that comes in jars that is both expensive and often bad for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

ijosicle wrote: »
    two chicken breasts will feed four.
    Are you crazy? Surely everyone will have one chicken breast?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Who exactly wants to eat chicken and veg every day of the week?

Swap half the chicken fillets for some pasta and seasonings, maybe some rice. Sure just buy a couple of jars of uncle Ben's or something ffs

Also a stir fry can be a very cheap, tasty and substantial meal.

Lazy fat fcuks tbh
    ijosicle wrote: »
    two chicken breasts will feed four..
    wtf? No they wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's quite obvious that most people in this thread are still suckling from their mothers breast...

4 people fed for a week (7 days) for 20 euro? It's very possible if they only eat aldi bread and beans 3 times a day for the week.

As for getting fresh veg, fruit and meat, to feed 4 people for a week... it's laughable.

50 euro is more feasible. You still won't get the best meat for that either.

Another point. At times like these take aways do a lot better because people can buy a dinner from a take away for less than in a supermarket. It also cuts out the preperation too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Eccles

Oh man this thread is the official Celtic Tiger in memoriam/RIP....arguing about how much a family can survive on to eat...
    By and large healthy food is a LOT dearer than cr8p...fresh fruit ,meat even bread are all dear nowadays ...the guy who said you could buy the quoted list of items for 20 euro was WAY off....Sure you could buy a sack of rice or porridge flakes and eat that all week but for a normal balanced healthy diet you ARE going to need more money or serious inventiveness...
    However there is no doubt that the main cause of obesity is laziness and lack of self discipline ...sure people with slight justification may use defences like cost,stress,work,commuting,lifestyle etc ....all little consolation when chronic ill health and the grim reaper come a knockin'...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

convert wrote: »
    Fresh fruit and veg is more expensive than the frozen equivalent.

There was a programme on TV last night focusing on a mother and daughter who were overweight/obese. They were given a new diet of fruit&veg to follow and after a week the mother was complaining that she had to spend so much time shopping for food and carrying it home and that all she did in the house was wash saucepans because they had to cook instead of getting take outs...

You're kidding me. That's an outrage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I disagree with the article stating that it's a lack of money...

I teach inner city kids. It's a disadvantaged status school so the children get lunches at school. Healthy stuff, sandwiches, fruits, milk &water and snacks like frubes or cheese dippers.

Some of the wee Dublin kids are sooooo scrawny and malnourished. Coming in with no breakfast and eating 3 or 4 sandwiches for lunch. And thats just the infants! I i haven't seen too many over weight kids in teh boys school, lots of over weight teenage girls around though.

I have to say it's neglect in a lot of the cases, laziness in others and sheer miseducation for the other part. There are young mothers that send the kids in with the rolls from spar and centra and they cost a lot more than a loaf of bread and some cheese and ham. Other things you get in are those cereal bars from kelloggs, crisps etc. TV tells you this stuff is healthy and they belive it.

After school they might hand the kid a happy meal at the gates. And push them home in a buggy because it's faster.

The worst diets by far are the kids from teh Phillipines which blows my mind because so many of them have mothers that work as nurses... They come in with biscuits, crackers, ice cream wafers... all sorts of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

That healthy food being too dear is aload of crap- I get a weeks shopping in Aldi for 4 people including frozen veg, fruit, 3 kinds of frozen fish, family size turkey mince, family size chicken, eggs, fresh fruit and veg plus 4 juices, two fruit and fibre, bread, a treat for Sunday and pasta/rice for around the 45 - 50 euro mark.

Mac donalds for four people for a week costs what? A meal is like 3.50 each? times four is 14 euro? times seven is 98 euro? Thats for only one meal in a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Where are these cheap takeaways that people are going on about? If my sister, my mum and I get a takeaway it's usually around €30. Couldn't imagine doing that every night! (but oh so delicious...)

• Advertisement
Advertisement