Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our kids are fatties

Options
  • 18-09-2009 10:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/children-among-worlds-fattest-but-healthy-diet-is-too-expensive-1890222.html

I think this is BS - "For families on social welfare in Ireland, choosing a healthy diet of fruit, vegetables, meat and fish can swallow up most of their benefit payments, a major international conference on childhood obesity has heard".

You can buy enough fresh/frozen veg/meat for a week for 4 people for 50 euros probably. Have you noticed more fat kids? I can't say i have really.

Edit: 20 euros was way off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/children-among-worlds-fattest-but-healthy-diet-is-too-expensive-1890222.html

I think this is BS - "For families on social welfare in Ireland, choosing a healthy diet of fruit, vegetables, meat and fish can swallow up most of their benefit payments, a major international conference on childhood obesity has heard".

You can buy enough fresh/frozen veg/meat for a week for 4 people for 20 euros probably. Have you noticed more fat kids? I can't say i have really.

You know more than a "major international conference"...? Ok...

Breakdown, please, of what the 20€ is buying (other thank booze and ciggies)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

You can buy enough fresh/frozen veg/meat for a week for 4 people for 20 euros probably. Have you noticed more fat kids? I can't say i have really.

Not a ****ing chance...and stop crippling the decent argument with that rubbish before this thread even gets started.

It is undoubtedly a LOT cheaper to eat a healthy diet than a bad one....but that 20euro statement is ****ing ludicrous.

When is the last time you bought your own food?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Have you seen McDonalds in Kylemore on a Sunday morning. You cannot move because of the wall of social depdent flab. And at almost 10 euro a pop you telling me your average "MA" cant cook for 4-5 people a Sunday meal for less than 45 quid.

Fat people are great crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A lot of them lose weight later on when they start buying drugs instead of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    You know more than a "major international conference"...? Ok...

Breakdown, please, of what the 20€ is buying (other thank booze and ciggies)

1kg of porridge, bag of spuds, 2 pounds of mince, onions, tomatoes, carrots, apples, pears, eggs, frozen peas. You can get the above for under 20 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Fresh fruit and veg is more expensive than the frozen equivalent.

There was a programme on TV last night focusing on a mother and daughter who were overweight/obese. They were given a new diet of fruit&veg to follow and after a week the mother was complaining that she had to spend so much time shopping for food and carrying it home and that all she did in the house was wash saucepans because they had to cook instead of getting take outs...

convert wrote: »

Fresh veg is expensive but fresh fruit? No way.

Davei141 wrote: »
    1kg of porridge, bag of spuds, 2 pounds of mince, onions, tomatoes, carrots, apples, pears, eggs, frozen peas. You can get the above for under 20 euro.

2 pounds of mince would not feed 4 people for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

convert wrote: »

There was a programme on TV last night focusing on a mother and daughter who were overweight/obese. They were given a new diet of fruit&veg to follow and after a week the mother was complaining that she had to spend so much time shopping for food and carrying it home and that all she did in the house was wash saucepans because they had to cook instead of getting take outs...

yep, "you are what you eat" but the previous week the woman who was on it said she was saving money on the healthier diet. Maybe it was down to the profile of the foods she was buying?

anyways, your wan last night was a whingin' boot. I think she cheered up towards the end though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

at the end of the day they are are just being lazy feckers.....
    its alot easier to go and buy chips/takeaways than it is to actually prepare a healthy meal!
    the only reason they are fat c*nts is because they are LAZY

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

yep, "you are what you eat" but the previous week the woman who was on it said she was saving money on the healthier diet. Maybe it was down to the profile of the foods she was buying?

anyways, your wan last night was a whingin' boot. I think she cheered up towards the end though.

Gillian McKeith is a money-grabbing fraud and you'd be doing the world a service if you stopped boosting her ratings.

Dragan wrote: »
    2 pounds of mince would not feed 4 people for a week.

Well it looks like im going to have to pick up 5 chops for a fiver or some turkey steaks for 4 euro to go with it. I don't agree with the 20euro remark, but make it 30 throw in 10 fillets and you can easily feed 4 for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,361 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Mince is the worst meat you can eat ffs.

Eat that 7 days a week and you will be dead before the Mcdonalds fatty

• Registered Users Posts: 45,361 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

murf313 wrote: »
    at the end of the day they are are just being lazy feckers.....
    its alot easier to go and buy chips/takeaways than it is to actually prepare a healthy meal!
    the only reason they are fat c*nts is because they are LAZY

lazy fat c*nts

Well it looks like im going to have to pick up 5 chops for a fiver or some turkey steaks for 4 euro to go with it.

Seriously, Dunnes and ****ing Tesco are so **** for meat it's not even funny. You know the score man, get in down the local butchers....with that wizened old man in behind the counter.

Cheap prices, and build the rapport and you start getting to local discount. :pac:

But, seriously, 5 chops for a fiver. Would feed four people. For one night. By seven nights is 35 quid.

I am a firm believer that eating healthy is both ( obviously ) the better way to go, and cheaper, than eating ****.

But, a sense of realism needs to be embraced early in this thread I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

You can use all the excuses in the book, but plain and simple..

1) Eat Less..
    2) Exercise More..
    3) Not be fat..
    4)...
    5) Profit..

Put down the fcuking fork, go for a walk and loose some weight you fat bastard children.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Gillian McKeith is a money-grabbing fraud and you'd be doing the world a service if you stopped boosting her ratings.

I'm not a fan of hers. Should I not have mentioned it by name? Just pointing out that 1 person stated she was saving money, the person last night said it was more expensive for the healthier foods. But if she who can not be named gets your heckles up I apologise.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Sure.
    Seriously, Dunnes and ****ing Tesco are so **** for meat it's not even funny. You know the score man, get in down the local butchers....with that wizened old man in behind the counter.

Cheap prices, and build the rapport and you start getting to local discount. :pac:

But, seriously, 5 chops for a fiver. Would feed four people. For one night. By seven nights is 35 quid.

I am a firm believer that eating healthy is both ( obviously ) the better way to go, and cheaper, than eating ****.

Read my edit i disagree with the guys 20 euro claim, i get all my chicken from the butchers, the supermakets have cheap meats on sale and stuff, its not the best but it can do for a change. Meats are expensive for people that want a lot of protein talking 200g but the majority of people will not be eating that amount so they can fill up the small quota with milk, eggs, cottage cheese, tuna etc. and most junk food is carbs they can get that in porridge bulk or spuds, both very cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Wazdakka wrote: »
    You can use all the excuses in the book, but plain and simple..

1) Eat Less..
    2) Exercise More..
    3) Not be fat..
    4)...
    5) Profit..

Put down the fcuking fork, go for a walk and loose some weight you fat bastard children.

It's not the kids' fault. After all, the plate is put in front of them by the parents.
    The parents of fat kids are nearly always fat slobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Cheap prices, and build the rapport and you start getting to local discount.

You've got a lot of anger built up or something. Anyway yes on second thoughts 20 quid was a huge understatement, but for about 6 euro you could feed a family of 4 a healthy dinner with meat and 2 veg no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

If you are unemployed and live in dublin there is no reason why you couldn't go to moore St , one day a week . Stuff there is great value . Even if you couldn't afford the bus and it took you an hour to walk there and an hour back, what harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You can buy enough fresh/frozen veg/meat for a week for 4 people for 20 euros probably.

probably
    probably

Probably Wrong.
    Try it and you will end up looking like Gillian McKeith within a year.

EL_Loco wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of hers. Should I not have mentioned it by name? Just pointing out that 1 person stated she was saving money, the person last night said it was more expensive for the healthier foods. But if she who can not be named gets your heckles up I apologise.
    I wasn't having a go at you, I just thought it'd be worth mentioning in a health-related thread considering so many people are eating blue algae and having tubes shoved up their arses in an attempt to get healthy.

Thats complete bull, Lean mince is quite healthy. I would only eat it two days a week though or I would get tired of it.

Seriously, Dunnes and ****ing Tesco are so **** for meat it's not even funny..

I don't know about Tesco as I don't shop there but I never had a problem with Dunnes meat I wouldnt buy there really cheap meat though so maybe this is what your talking about. Also Super value has very good meat imo. In general there is very little if any difference between them and a butchers.

hey Pace, no worries.

anyone got any stats on food prices? What about alot of these local weekend markets etc? any value there?

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of a healthy shopping bill and an unhealthy one, see if it pans out.

edit: website is blocked at work incase it's there in black and white already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Mince is not a meat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

check out the fruit/veg shops on Mary's Abbey in town, just after caple st. You could get enough veg there for 10 euros to last you a long long time.

Thats complete bull, Lean mince is quite healthy. I would only eat it two days a week though or I would get tired of it.
    Lean mince is a champion. You can boil it up and drain the fat for one of the cheapest sources of easily absorbed protein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

best type of mince to buy is the extra lean mince something like 98% fat free. It's a known fact however that extra lean mince is so much more expensive that normal mince. Something like twice the price; which is just ridiculous

Advertisement