Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAD student thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ficra9661

magick_tea wrote: »
    Hi :D nice to meet you! Okay first of all DON'T WORRY! I was in the exact same position as you last year. All I did over the summer was 3 mind maps and them I was left with the whole reSt of the portfolio to do over 6th year... And I got it done. There was lots of late nights and feeling like it would never happen but if you really want it there's no reason you can't do it in the time you have!

They deffinatly look for creative thinking and good ideas. That's deffo the key to getting accepted. I personally didn't go to a portfolio prep course and had no idea what they were looking for and to a certain extent I think that weighed in my favour since I had no set formula. Technical skill will help you but it's not the be all and end all.

Good luck! If you really want it you can make it happen. Feel free to ask for any help you need

Thank you! You've given me hope. Are u in first year? btw what's the workload like??

• Registered Users Posts: 13 magick_tea

ficra9661 wrote: »
    Thank you! You've given me hope. Are u in first year? btw what's the workload like??

Glad I could help :) I'm starting 1st year on the 26th of September, so not long to go now!! The portfolio workload is pretty intense! But if your dedicated and want it 100% you can do it! I'll let you know what 1st year is like once I start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bell_dawg

Hey guys! Still nothing in the post :( anyone else get anything? I just want to get started :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bearz

bell_dawg wrote: »
    Hey guys! Still nothing in the post :( anyone else get anything? I just want to get started :(

Nope I've got nothing yet either!!! Hurry up like! Although electric picnic this weekend I could hold off another couple of days!! Lol

Bearz wrote: »
    Nope I've got nothing yet either!!! Hurry up like! Although electric picnic this weekend I could hold off another couple of days!! Lol
    I'd say it might be the end of this week when the second round of CAO offers closes

• Advertisement

I'd say it might be the end of this week when the second round of CAO offers closes

The letter came with all the fees and registration info :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bearz

The letter came with all the fees and registration info :D

Mine too :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lorilow

Hey, new here.
    So im going into sixth year this year, and only started thinking about art college last year. Was supposed to do work for a portfolio over summer, but that did NOT work out. I literally have nothing good enough for the portfolio and am freaking out now bc i suddenly really want to go to NCAD. Is it any way possible i could do a portfolio between now and feb??? Or am i completely f'd? Also, in the portfolio, are they looking for more technical skill, or good ideas?
    Hey don't worry you still have time but do start NOW ! I started last Sept and made it but lots of late nights ect and a few meltdowns but if did it anyone can! Good Luck any questions please ask :)

lorilow wrote: »
    Hey don't worry you still have time but do start NOW ! I started last Sept and made it but lots of late nights ect and a few meltdowns but if did it anyone can! Good Luck any questions please ask :)

Thanks! I will. Did you make a timetable or set yourself a time to do the work? Also how did you juggle it with schoolwork? Were you a lot more focused on the portfolio?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭anomynous

Well got the summer project today, anyone else? What do you think of it? I've suddenly realised it's been so long and I feel as though I'm so out of practise that I couldn't even make a start today!

• Advertisement

Thanks! I will. Did you make a timetable or set yourself a time to do the work? Also how did you juggle it with schoolwork? Were you a lot more focused on the portfolio?

Did not do timetable until after Xmas it did help. I was not in school as I am mature student but still had a family care for . It was tough!! I can only imagin how hard it is for leaving cert students to get it done. Also remember the note books that have to b done with the portfolio. I just did 1 large a 4 😊

anomynous wrote: »
    Well got the summer project today, anyone else? What do you think of it? I've suddenly realised it's been so long and I feel as though I'm so out of practise that I couldn't even make a start today!

Know how you feel made a start today. Yesterday I was shell shocked but not too bad today. I know what I going to do now just a matter of getting it done.

lorilow wrote: »
    Did not do timetable until after Xmas it did help. I was not in school as I am mature student but still had a family care for . It was tough!! I can only imagin how hard it is for leaving cert students to get it done. Also remember the note books that have to b done with the portfolio. I just did 1 large a 4 😊

Yeah I hope I'll be able to do both. What do you actually write in the notebook? They don't make it very clear

Yeah I hope I'll be able to do both. What do you actually write in the notebook? They don't make it very clear
    Everything this to show where u got ur ideas and inspirartion.., Tried to send u a pm but I am not allowed yet as I have not posted enough on here!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Temppe

Hi guys, I'm going into first year product design after four years out of college and I have a few questions to pose...

Firstly, my drawing sucked at school, and that was six years ago. Since then I haven't drawn at all until a few months ago when I started to do excersises from Scott Robertson's perspective drawing DVDs. I'm getting okay with the excersises, but I still have a long way to go before I can put on paper any idea I have in my head. Do the tutors assume that everyone can draw competently from the start or is this something they teach? Does anyone foresee this being a problem?

Secondly, that list of things that we have to collect - can that be literally anything? Apart from the glass restriction and the obvious logistical contraints of size and weight of course. And the song/story/film titles - do we just write them down somewhere or what?

Thirdly, and I know this must sound like an utterly moronic question, but how big do these "worksheets" have to be? It's been years since I've handles sheets larger than A4!

Finally... I'm looking foward to seeing yous there.

Temppe wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm going into first year product design after four years out of college and I have a few questions to pose...

Firstly, my drawing sucked at school, and that was six years ago. Since then I haven't drawn at all until a few months ago when I started to do excersises from Scott Robertson's perspective drawing DVDs. I'm getting okay with the excersises, but I still have a long way to go before I can put on paper any idea I have in my head. Do the tutors assume that everyone can draw competently from the start or is this something they teach? Does anyone foresee this being a problem?

Secondly, that list of things that we have to collect - can that be literally anything? Apart from the glass restriction and the obvious logistical contraints of size and weight of course. And the song/story/film titles - do we just write them down somewhere or what?

Thirdly, and I know this must sound like an utterly moronic question, but how big do these "worksheets" have to be? It's been years since I've handles sheets larger than A4!

Finally... I'm looking foward to seeing yous there.

Did you not do a portfolio to get into the product Design course? As that's when they would have seen your drawings and so see what level you were at and where to go from.

Yeah, anything that you think relates to what they ask for. I haven't really thought of how the film/story/song titles were going to be presented but seeing as all the other stuff is just to be collected, I guess just writing them down will do.

Again, relating to portfolio, the summer project is mean't to be a continuation of your portfolio. So I'm just working with the same size sheets in my portfolio, which is A1. However, A2 is acceptable too, there just seems to be more room on A1, especially for all the things we have to do.

Hope it's a bit clearer for you now :)

Yeah I did present a portfolio, but it consisted of 3d renders printed on A3. Should I do the worksheets on A2 or is A3 large enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sophm94

Hey guys, I got into ncad too and got the summer project last week but was working all week so only starting in now! Eeek 😠Do we have to use notebooks like our portfolios ? And I need help with the last one "wrap one regular form, 1irregular form"

Yeah I did present a portfolio, but it consisted of 3d renders printed on A3. Should I do the worksheets on A2 or is A3 large enough?

No A3 is way too small, A1 or A2 is what they ask for (when it came to the portfolio and such). So work on A2 if you're not used to working on large sheets, just try fill the page with large drawings, or a few drawings of different angles

However, because you are for product design, I don't know whether it's going to be different, but if we're all going into the core year, I would just assume its the same

Sophm94 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I got into ncad too and got the summer project last week but was working all week so only starting in now! Eeek 😠Do we have to use notebooks like our portfolios ? And I need help with the last one "wrap one regular form, 1irregular form"

Don't worry, you're not the only one who hasn't started yet! Still trying to figure things out!

Yeah they asked for use of notebooks on the sheet didn't they? I doubt you need notebook work for each section though because some of it would be hard to turn into notebook work, as in showing your process and such to get the end product

All I'm doing is getting something regular/irregular in shape and in general, for example a football, and wrapping it in whatever I pick, so drawing it before and after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Sophm94

anomynous wrote: »
    Don't worry, you're not the only one who hasn't started yet! Still trying to figure things out!

Yeah they asked for use of notebooks on the sheet didn't they? I doubt you need notebook work for each section though because some of it would be hard to turn into notebook work, as in showing your process and such to get the end product

All I'm doing is getting something regular/irregular in shape and in general, for example a football, and wrapping it in whatever I pick, so drawing it before and after.

Thanks that's helps a lot ! At least I'm not the only one haha

Hey guys, does everyone going into first year get the same summer project to do? Or is it different for people doing different courses?

I'm heading into Product Design (so I've didn't receive the brief before submitting my portfolio), and the project requires me to do section B but only make one connection instead of two, and then one of the tasks from section C i.e. a total of four worksheets. It doesn't seem like a lot (not that I'm complaining!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 daniel2112

Hey guys, does everyone going into first year get the same summer project to do? Or is it different for people doing different courses?

I'm heading into Product Design (so I've didn't receive the brief before submitting my portfolio), and the project requires me to do section B but only make one connection instead of two, and then one of the tasks from section C i.e. a total of four worksheets. It doesn't seem like a lot (not that I'm complaining!).

Hey there, im in the same boat as you, starting product design next week, but have not been able to contact or get any info from the college itself. Are you sure we only need to do section B and C? I thought the same myself, but not really sure. like do we need to do the mind maps and such, im just really not sure. I was away for a while, only to come home and see this letter saying we have a project to do, now im fretting about it. If you find out anything else can you let me know, cheers.

Well I decided to just do the mind maps anyway, it's only two sheets so it's not that much. In fact that's the only part of the project that I've done so far. Should be grand though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 lovesit

Hi there, does anyone know when the results for the NCAD portfolios will be sent out?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Rosie30

Last year it was around the 26th March. Expect post from just after Paddys Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sav533

Has anyone rang ncad yet to see when they hope to send out the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dreamer95

I haven't rang but I've heard that results come in the post by March 26th. I hope they come sooner though, I'm really nervous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ilikechips27

Yeah, I was told its always after St. Patrick's Day and they usually send out the letters on a Friday or Monday, and last year they found out on Tuesday 26th (Which was late compared to all the other years) so i'm guessing we will either find out on the 18th or 25th.
    Its horrible waiting, I actually can't sleep at night thinking about it hahaha

Good luck everyone ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Sav533

When and do you get a letter telling you about your interview for product design in ncad?

Advertisement