Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAD student thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Vaaaampire

thanks teeney

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭milkycoffey

Can I ask what a typical week would be like in first year?
    Will it be 9-5, five days a week?
    Is it very intense or laid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 teeney

hi guys. its getting closer. did any of you get official cao offer today, im feeling nervous waiting. do us mature peeps get the letters first week of august or should i just cave to this paronoia and call.?
    milkycoffee im wondering too what ncad life the first year is like ie how intense is the work load?

teeney wrote: »
    hi guys. its getting closer. did any of you get official cao offer today, im feeling nervous waiting. do us mature peeps get the letters first week of august or should i just cave to this paronoia and call.?
    milkycoffee im wondering too what ncad life the first year is like ie how intense is the work load?

Hi Teeney,
    Haven't heard anything back yet. As far as I know we'll get the offer in the post with the rest of them.
    And I think we start then on the 28th maybe

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Did you get your score yet ? If not you should ring them !!

• Advertisement

If you got your letter saying your portfolio was successful and you meet all the matriculation requirments then you should be okay.
    CAO offers being sent out on the 4th August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 teeney

thanks milkycoffee. yes i got portfolio letter and i matriculate so yes i should get letter so ,i thought the offers went out in july, The 4th of august..... im waiting for you. being a mom of 3 with one that needs after school which i havent secured yet, and eldest doing the leaving cert, my dh works super long hours so i will be trying to get this to work and still keep the kids reasonable. !!!!!! theres gonna be a lot of juggling and shifting in our house.big changes and shifts in attitudes. very exciting and terrifying at same time.
    ill be taking the train from sallins i think the car would work out too expensive and the idea of being stuck in traffic dooesnt appeal.hope some days in ncad will be flexible, whats your situation? are there ant other mature students on here?

thanks milkycoffee. yes i got portfolio letter and i matriculate so yes i should get letter so ,i thought the offers went out in july, The 4th of august..... im waiting for you. being a mom of 3 with one that needs after school which i havent secured yet, and eldest doing the leaving cert, my dh works super long hours so i will be trying to get this to work and still keep the kids reasonable. !!!!!! theres gonna be a lot of juggling and shifting in our house.big changes and shifts in attitudes. very exciting and terrifying at same time.
    ill be taking the train from sallins i think the car would work out too expensive and the idea of being stuck in traffic dooesnt appeal.hope some days in ncad will be flexible, whats your situation? are there ant other mature students on here?

You should have got an offer then, was NCAD your 1st choice ? Are you sure your not on the waiting list ? I only say this because I am on the waiting list plus NCAD is my 1st choice so I have to wait till the LC results are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Vaaaampire

did many PLCers out there turn the course down?.. on waiting list and am anxious as ... its all i want

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gillianb4

Hello everyone :) Yes I am a kind of mature student..I am 21 and can't wait to start Art core year :) It will be hard work but I'm up for the challenge.lol.

Just wondering where N.C.A.D. students usually live? as I live 2 hours from Dublin at the minute so will need to live there during the week anyway.

So if any one needs a house mate or knows of someone who does, get in touch!!

Also, is it better to live with other Art students or does it not really matter??

I'm a bit nervous atm to be honest...don't know what to expect but am sure it will be fine when we get into the way of things :) x x
    Gillian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 cushy101

http://www.rent.ie/rooms-to-rent/50-Bertram-Court-Lamb-Alley-Christchurch-Dublin-8/591670/

I'm a first year students looking to fill a twin room only 2 minutes walk from the college in a beautiful location.

cushy101 wrote: »
    http://www.rent.ie/rooms-to-rent/50-Bertram-Court-Lamb-Alley-Christchurch-Dublin-8/591670/

I'm a first year students looking to fill a twin room only 2 minutes walk from the college in a beautiful location.

Ohh Hiyah :D Are you a male or female...and will there only be two people in the appartment altogether? Is that the room in the pictre for two people?

Also are u studying in N.C.A.D. for the Core year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 cushy101

gillianb4 wrote: »
    Ohh Hiyah :D Are you a male or female...and will there only be two people in the appartment altogether? Is that the room in the pictre for two people?

Also are u studying in N.C.A.D. for the Core year?

Ya! I'm a first year too, I'm a dude unfortunately:D, but I'm a really cool guy looking for two people to share the twin room for around 85e a week or one person for 140! Its a really nice place and it has totally new furniture to its even nicer than in the pic! Look me up on facebook(pat darcy), I'm just looking for some nice people to live with! There are only two bedrooms and a maximum of three people so there would be plenty of space for anyone!:D

cushy101 wrote: »
    Ya! I'm a first year too, I'm a dude unfortunately:D, but I'm a really cool guy looking for two people to share the twin room for around 85e a week or one person for 140! Its a really nice place and it has totally new furniture to its even nicer than in the pic! Look me up on facebook(pat darcy), I'm just looking for some nice people to live with! There are only two bedrooms and a maximum of three people so there would be plenty of space for anyone!:D

lol. okies :D I will get back to ya love,looks like a nice place indeed, so thats 560e a month, does that include utility bills??

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

If anyone has gotten their reading list then you'll be able to get both books in the National Gallery for €65 when you show your student card or your registration letter.
    alternatively amazon might be able to sort ye out

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

ill be taking the train from sallins i think the car would work out too expensive and the idea of being stuck in traffic dooesnt appeal.hope some days in ncad will be flexible, whats your situation? are there any other mature students on here?

HI Teeney
    Can't wait to hear how the year goes for you. I too am a mum to four kids, one in college, 12,11 and 7 year old boys also. I'll have to commute everyday,one hour each way. I'm working on my portfolio brief as I speak. Any tips for me seeing as yours was obviously a success!
    I too am worried as to how my kids and husband will adjust to me being 'gone' everyday. Can anyway tell me how long is the day in nCAD.
    I too like you will be hopefully ,(if I get in) sorting out childcare this time next year. My husband works shift hours so nights and days, so the changes in my house will be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 scorcoran90

If anyone wants the two prescribed books second hand let me know.
    Brand new and will do the two for €85

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Xenzo

Hey does anyone know when NCAD start sending info out to you about registration, fees and booklists etc??

Xenzo wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know when NCAD start sending info out to you about registration, fees and booklists etc??

I got mine last week anyway. I don't know what the craic is if you're coming from leaving cert though. If you're worried maybe give them a ring.
    As i said before, too, if you go to the national gallery you can get both books for €65 when you show your registration letter or your student card.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 MilesReilly

hey Milk Coffey,

what are the names of the two books?

m

Hi! The Books are:
    History of Modern Design by David Raizman
    "A World History of Art" Hugh Honour 7th edition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 istusaandrew

Hi I'm starting in September and was wondering will I need a laptop for core year?
    if so what type Apple or Dell ? and what software is used ? photoshop etc?
    Hope you can help me out....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Rosie30

Anyone get offered NCAD today from the waiting list??? What happens? Does the offer come from CAO or directly from NCAD? Extremely interested to know!!!!Know of someone a couple of points dwn the min.portfolio points and was SURE they'd know today. They rang NCAD and the admissions girl not in and the other lady hadn't a clue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 istusaandrew

hi rosie i got an acceptence on the first round of the cao results and i only got the ncad confirmation letter YESTERDAY! they seem to take ages in comparison to orther colleges...... your friend might have to wait a while.....

anyway his/her first port of call would be to log into the cao website and see if they have been given an offer there. (would it not? i could be wrong, being an art college the protocal could be differnt)

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Rosie30

hi rosie i got an acceptence on the first round of the cao results and i only got the ncad confirmation letter YESTERDAY! they seem to take ages in comparison to orther colleges...... your friend might have to wait a while.....

anyway his/her first port of call would be to log into the cao website and see if they have been given an offer there. (would it not? i could be wrong, being an art college the protocal could be differnt)

hope this helps

Where you on the waiting list 'istusaandrew'? He is on the waiting list, only a couple of points away! He got his second offer of DIT but would love NCAD. Congrats on your place by the way!! Very exciting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Hi I'm starting in September and was wondering will I need a laptop for core year?
    if so what type Apple or Dell ? and what software is used ? photoshop etc?
    Hope you can help me out....
    Get an Apple MAC Book Pro, especially if you plan opn going for Vis Comm. Dont buy any software it will be supplied by college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lithe-legs

There's no need to waste €1500 on a MacPro unless you're absolutely dead set on Vis Com. Even then I was using my old dell right up until Christmas in VisCom. Any computer for Core will be fine; other than essays and research, you won't be doing any heavy duty work that'll require major RAM. Also, the Viscom department don't provide free software - you have to acquire the Adobe programs yourself in whatever devious/honest way you can.

Rosie30 wrote: »
    Where you on the waiting list 'istusaandrew'? He is on the waiting list, only a couple of points away! He got his second offer of DIT but would love NCAD. Congrats on your place by the way!! Very exciting!

I am also on the waiting list, I also got my place in DIT... are you talking about me :D:D:D

Anyways... CAO says:

Round Two
    A second round of offers will be issued, usually in late
    August/early September, to fill any remaining vacancies.

After Round Two
    Thereafter, offers will be issued as necessary until October
    to fill any vacancies which may arise.

I know DIT start on the 20th of Sept, but one could still get an offer of a place up untill Oct, I think ringing NCAD to find out is a waste time. All offers come via CAO.

Reading over here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=832 there are lots of people now re-thinking of going back or to college this is for both mature + secondary school students. The only hope left, is if, some people drop out.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad I have my place in DIT. NCAD would be a plus but it's not the end of the world. He can always apply directly into second year of NCAD. Tell him take his place in DIT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 smashedpumpkin

hey hey! wrote: »
    heY hey...
    just seeking out info on how students doing the BA in art and design education in ncad find the course? Lots of time to develop your own creativity aswell as the practical exp in teaching? Hows the tutors and lectures?etc..

i would appreciate any infO....

cHeers:P..

The course is extremely tough. HUGE workload. There is very little room to develop your own creativity. Many of the tutors are amazing and helpful, one or two of them... I won't even go into it. All in all it's a great qualification to have but if I had the choice I would have done ANYTHING else. This course nearly killed me. (And every single one of my classmates would agree) I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Do your undergraduate in what you love, and do a dip after if you really want to be a teacher.

Advertisement