Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop NAMA by voting No to Lisbon

Options
  • 17-09-2009 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

The only practical way to stop Grand Theft NAMA is to force a general election after which a new coalition will adopt some hybrid of the FG/Labour proposals. Whatever the hybrid, it can hardly be as bad as NAMA, the FF plan to rob the PAYE taxpayer while bailing out the bankers and developers.

To force a general election, FF must lose the Lisbon vote. I am calling on Don't Knows to put the future well-being of this country before the demands of Eurocrats. The EU can continue as it is without Lisbon. But NAMA would destroy this country for generations.

Stop NAMA - vote No to Lisbon.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Paddy irish man, paddy english man, paddy scotch man walk into a bar............:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Your whole premise is ridiculous.

Voting 'No' to Lisbon will stop Lisbon, not NAMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That makes no sense whatsoever. The government have pretty much destroyed the country and have yet to call a GE. Why would getting a no vote make a different? Sure if people are going to be petty and vote no just to piss off the governmetn, why shouldn't the government be petty and refuse to call a GE?

And what happens to the guys in the bar...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Did FF call a general election when Lisbon 1 was rejected? No.
    Did FF call a general election after a disasterous local/Euro election? No.
    Did a motion of no confidence in the Dail force a general election? No.

You're kidding yourself and hurting Europe by voting no to force an election. It won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

1. FF are not proposing this treaty, the EU are. It's not a case of "FF losing"
    2. An uninformed no vote will do more harm to the country than it will to FF. There are reasons to vote yes beyond doing FF a favour
    3. All of the opposition parties support the treaty too so there would be no justification for calling an election over the issue
    4. Getting 12% in the local elections didn't get rid of them, a poll showing that 87% of people want a general election didn't get rid of them and a call for a vote of no confidence from Enda Kenny didn't get rid of them. This won't get rid of them either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Oh sweet Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

humanji wrote:
    And what happens to the guys in the bar...
    Paddy irish man, paddy english man, paddy scotch man walk into a bar............:rolleyes:

The barman turns around and says: "What is this, some kind of joke?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

shouldent we vote yes so Europe can get more involved :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

The only practical way to stop Grand Theft NAMA is to force a general election after which a new coalition will adopt some hybrid of the FG/Labour proposals. Whatever the hybrid, it can hardly be as bad as NAMA, the FF plan to rob the PAYE taxpayer while bailing out the bankers and developers.

To force a general election, FF must lose the Lisbon vote. I am calling on Don't Knows to put the future well-being of this country before the demands of Eurocrats. The EU can continue as it is without Lisbon. But NAMA would destroy this country for generations.

I've never read such crap before in all the time I've been reading posts on boards.

Vote no to Lisbon if you have an issue with its contents, That is the only plausible reason to vote no.

I'm against Lisbon as i don't like QMV, Crack pot theories like this advising a no vote do people with genuine reasons for voting no, no favor's!

THINK AND THEN SPEAK! not the other way round.

Do you even know what lisbon is about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

OP your reasoning is insane. NAMA is a load of crap but we have to live with it because we made the wrong choice numerous times when voting in a GE. You won't get a GE if we successfully vote NO because the greens know their number is up and want a ministerial pension.
    In short, decide on Lisbon based on Lisbon and when a GE comes round then boot FF and the Greens as far as you can. If you must vent do so with FF canvassers going around ATM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Genuine Q:

Would you rather we didn't have any banks, and kept our money in our socks? Or perhaps bartered livestock for materials?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Rb wrote: »
    Genuine Q:

Would you rather we didn't have any banks, and kept our money in our socks? Or perhaps bartered livestock for materials?

it would make going for a pint more interesting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Genuine Q:

People can't get loans from socks:rolleyes: The banks must be bailed out because they have to be able and willing to lend money. Small businesses are going under because they can't get loans to stay afloat.
    Contractors must be able to get loans from banks so that they can afford to complete construction projects they are working on. I live Leopardstown and can see the unfinished apartment blocks in the old ESSO site. I know for a fact that people have already paid deposits for those apartments and stand to lose a hell of a lot of money if they remain unfinished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Genuine Q:

Genuine Q: Do you believe that NAMA as it stands is the only way to prevent the above?

OP, a No to Lisbon would probably leads to a substantial increase in the cost of borrowing for Ireland - do you see any way out of the current situation that doesn't involve borrowing? And that's before you consider the rest of the economic fallout that would follow a second No.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

hobochris wrote: »
    it would make going for a pint more interesting :D

i strangely imagined people sniffing money to work out who's socks they were in before i clicked you were talking about the bartering animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Hobo Sapiens

It makes sense to vote No to Lisbon because it's such an obscure document.

It makes even more sense to vote No because it's an obscure document yet one that,when you scan its content, reduces Ireland to being a mere outpost of a new EU state.

If you have any doubts about the actual treaty (and who wouldn't, considering that it is precisely the same treaty that we voted on in 2008), then you might already be inclined to vote No.

If you believe that NAMA is a bad deal for the ordinary PAYE taxpayer or pensioner, then voting No to Lisbon is probably the only way to stop the government from putting the country into harm's way.

Stop NAMA and Vote No.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

It makes sense to vote No to Lisbon because it's such an obscure document.

It makes even more sense to vote No because it's an obscure document yet one that,when you scan its content, reduces Ireland to being a mere outpost of a new EU state.

If you have any doubts about the actual treaty (and who wouldn't, considering that it is precisely the same treaty that we voted on in 2008), then you might already be inclined to vote No.

When do you think the truth and you parted ways? Was it a more recent thing or something that happened when you were young?
    If you believe that NAMA is a bad deal for the ordinary PAYE taxpayer or pensioner, then voting No to Lisbon is probably the only way to stop the government from putting the country into harm's way.

Stop NAMA and Vote No.

He he he he as much as NAMA frightens me the idea that voting No to Lisbon will stop it is just hilarious. I wouldn't mind in a way if you were just another No campaigner lying to try and trick people but it would worry me if you believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I notice the OP didn't even bother looking at the replies, and just came out with more BS with no grounding in reality.

Click

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Hobo Sapiens

I notice the OP didn't even bother looking at the replies, and just came out with more BS with no grounding in reality.

Click

This thread is not particularly aimed at the unquestioning Yessir who cannot fathom why anybody would vote No. I am appealing to Boarders who have sincere doubts about Lisbon to consider the likelihood that a No vote will trigger a general election and thus stop NAMA.

The reality of Lisbon is that it would mean the end of Ireland's sovereignty. The issue of sovereignty is ignored by the big parties and the mainstream media who see Lisbon an opportunity to become well-paid apparatchiks of an EU federal state (or 'empire', as Barroso admitted in 2007). The responsible No voter is more interested in freedom and integrity than cosy cartels and irresponsibility.

Whether the defeat of Lisbon will trigger a general election is impossible to predict but I find it hard to see the government surviving a second No to Lisbon.

This thread is not particularly aimed at the unquestioning Yessir who cannot fathom why anybody would vote No. I am appealing to Boarders who have sincere doubts about Lisbon to consider the likelihood that a No vote will trigger a general election and thus stop NAMA.

I think you're mixing two different things up. There are people in here who are voting Yes or No who have carefully reasoned why they will. I may not agree with all of them them but I will certainly respect their decision. On the other hand there are people who come in with bull**** NWO type conspiracy theory reasons and wonder why most of the rest of us don't agree with them. Then, more often than not, will insult us for not agreeing with them. I will listen to anyone who comes in here with logical reasons (with proper references) to vote Yes or No. But irrational/paranoid bull**** will still be irrational/paranoid bull****.
    The reality of Lisbon is that it would mean the end of Ireland's sovereignty. The issue of sovereignty is ignored by the big parties and the mainstream media who see Lisbon an opportunity to become well-paid apparatchiks of an EU federal state (or 'empire', as Barroso admitted in 2007). The responsible No voter is more interested in freedom and integrity than cosy cartels and irresponsibility.

Here's the thing, the No campaign have been saying this since before we joined the EU in 1973 and they are still saying it. Just how many times do they think they can roll out the same lines and we are going to believe them? You have nothing sensible to back up your assertion we are losing our sovereignty (it such a thing really exists to begin with).
    Whether the defeat of Lisbon will trigger a general election is impossible to predict but I find it hard to see the government surviving a second No to Lisbon.

How many times has this happened in the past? That would be none in case you're wondering. So I find it hard to believe that you find it hard to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

There's a lot of irony in referring to Rb as "an unquestioning Yessir".

Are you here to explain and discuss how voting no to Lisbon has anything to do with NAMA, or are you just here to keep repeating the same point over and over?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Cure cancer, aids and ensure peace throughout the World - Vote No to Lisbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The reality of Lisbon is that it would mean the end of Ireland's sovereignty.

re·al·i·ty (r-l-t)
    n. pl. re·al·i·ties
    1. The quality or state of being actual or true.

Nope, doesn't match the definition of reality

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭TechFreak

Lisbon and NAMA are totaly seperate.

OP your an foolish to think that by voting against Lisbon the government will fall.

You obviously have no understanding of either topic and are just looking for attention

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

greendom wrote: »
    Cure cancer, aids and ensure peace throughout the World - Vote No to Lisbon.

Sorry, but I love cake so its a yes for me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Surelite

This is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard!!!!
    Voting no will NOT STOP NAMA.

Nama is needed to stabilise the countrys financial system - free up credit in the banks so they can start lending to businesses again, start employing people again and get our economy back into growth.

GROW UP! - We need to do whatever it takes to fix our country!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

a new coalition
    Good luck with that. As much as people hate FF, the majority of those who vote, tend to vote FF. Sure, you could have 60% of Ireland hating FF, but if only 10% of them votes, it wouldn't make much difference... As it stands, those who vote, tend to vote for FF.

Why? Because the opposition are a useless pack of ****. Maybe if FG replaced Enda with someone who had a pair of balls, who would constantly attack the government, before the f**k-ups, and not after they happen, as they do now, they'd get elected.
    As opposed to an outcast?
    Stop NAMA and Vote No.
    Christ all f**king mighty. Where do you come up with this tripe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

TechFreak wrote: »
    OP your an foolish to think that by voting against Lisbon the government will fall.
    Why do you think the government won't fail? Obviously it is not a foregone conclusion that it would fail, but I don't see how anyone could be sure that the government would survive.

SkepticOne wrote: »
    Why do you think the government won't fail? Obviously it is not a foregone conclusion that it would fail, but I don't see how anyone could be sure that the government would survive.

I can answer with two words why it won't fail... Fianna Fail. They have long since stopped listening to anyone.

Practically speaking though nothing is impossible just very very unlikely and has never happened before. But hey it's not impossible that I'll get hit by a falling star tomorrow either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I would be very surprised if Cowen survived a No result.

Advertisement