Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus / Luas crash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Service-Disruptions/

Service Disruptions
    Thursday 17th September - updated 06:30

Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers that due to an incident on O’Connell Street cross city bus services will be disrupted until further notice.

Northbound buses are currently bypassing O’Connell Street, their neartest stops after crossing O'Connell Bridge are Parnell Street and Parnell Square then back to normal routing.

Airlinks are departing from Busaras direct to the airport.

Southbound buses are following their normal routing.

http://www.luas.ie/page.php?name=Luas_Red_Line_Service_Change_Thursday_September_17_2009

Luas Red Line : Thursday September 17 2009

The Luas Red Line is operating this morning Thursday September 17 2009 between Tallaght and Smithfield Stops only.

All Luas tickets are valid on Dublin Bus.

We apologise to Luas passengers for any inconvenience.

Should you wish to speak with a member of Luas Customer Care please Freephone 1800 300 604.

Thank you,

Luas Customer Care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Thursday 17th September - updated 07:40

Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers that O’Connell Street has been reopened and bus services are running as normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bob bobbing

Is there anyone on boards.ie who was on either vehicle and if so what was it like were you hurt and WHO was to blamr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Riskymove wrote: »
    why ever not?

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

It's like 9/11 all over again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Why?:confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

DWCommuter wrote: »
    A right balls up alright. Whatever the reason, don't expect anyone to be held accountable.

What a crass comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

As you would expect the thread in AH has a lot worse comments and dumb speculation. As a driver of the luas I just hope my colleague is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

rednik wrote: »
    As you would expect the thread in AH has a lot worse comments and dumb speculation. As a driver of the luas I just hope my colleague is ok.

Yes, I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Quick question, are there seat belts for the driver and if so, are you required to wear them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

There are no seat belts and there are no front facing cameras on these trams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

parsi wrote: »
    What a crass comment.

well said parsi, it's all about dwcommuter and his various axes to grind!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

There are no seat belts and there are no front facing cameras on these trams.

Wut? Wow! :eek: So I imagine the unions will now be demanding seat belts...although I'm puzzled as to why they didn't previously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

That is exactly what puts me off this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭The Skulls

Has just been on the 2fm news at midday, CIE chairman was interviewed; the CCTV footage on the bus shows the bus had a FULL GREEN LIGHT to proceed, so Veolia have some questions to answer. Maybe next time people should wait for the facts to emerge before making accusations. And for the record i was on the Luas in question yesterday but got off at Jervis street. I'm just glad no one has died & wish a speedy recovery to all who are injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The Skulls wrote: »
    the CCTV footage on the bus shows the bus had a FULL GREEN LIGHT to proceed, so Veolia have some questions to answer. And for the record i was on the Luas in question yesterday but got off at Jervis street. I'm just glad no one has died & wish a speedy recovery to all who are injured.

Ah ha, I was just about to ask this question myself!

So if the Bus had a full Green light, then the Tram must have broken his Red light? or ........................

Trams don't have red lights to obey. They have a white stop signal.
    Signal-Halt.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭The Skulls

Trams don't have red lights to obey. They have a white stop signal.
    Signal-Halt.png

That is correct; now we just have to wait & see what veolia & the gardai have to say, apparently the garda investigation is concluded already which could indicate that its very much cut & dried as to who did what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

Has just been on the 2fm news at midday, CIE chairman was interviewed; the CCTV footage on the bus shows the bus had a FULL GREEN LIGHT to proceed, so Veolia have some questions to answer. Maybe next time people should wait for the facts to emerge before making accusations. And for the record i was on the Luas in question yesterday but got off at Jervis street. I'm just glad no one has died & wish a speedy recovery to all who are injured.

So all the Twitter witnesses appear to have been full of ****. I hope they are as quick to post an apology to the bus driver as they were to blame him.

That was the story I heard yesterday and thank god for forward facing cameras it's a pity the Luas doesn't have them because perhaps it was a signalling error but with no camera hard to prove much easier to just blame the driver.

Hope everyone makes a full recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

shltter wrote: »
    So all the Twitter witnesses appear to have been full of ****. I hope they are as quick to post an apology to the bus driver as they were to blame him.

Plenty were saying yesterday that the bus had a green light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

does the luas not have a Black Box,
    thus all details of signals and speed will be recorded

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I don't think Veolia said anything and the general public are entitled to say what they saw (or thought they saw) through any means they choose.

Dublin Bus have themselves pre-empted the investigation so they must be pretty sure of the ground they stand on.

rameire wrote: »
    does the luas not have a Black Box,
    thus all details of signals and speed will be recorded
    No such thing sadly. Trams don't have CAWS or ATP.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

I would imagine that there would a garda CCTV camera or one in easons or supermacs etc that would have captured the Luas signal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its seems like its cie vs veolia today rather then luas vs bus

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭micawber

Possible that bus began entering junction on green, halted because of either pedestrians or due to garda car coming through on emergency call, and then restarted to clear junction at which stage lights had changed and Luas was coming through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

BrianD wrote: »
    Dublin Bus have themselves pre-empted the investigation so they must be pretty sure of the ground they stand on.

There are/were separate investigations from Dublin Bus, Veolia and the Gardai, so I can't see how Dublin Bus have pre-empted anything. They have simply released their own findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

A green light does not give someone right of way or actually mean 'go'.
    The driver has to always exercise caution and proceed only if the way is clear. This is to cater for situations where you have signal failures or unusual circumstances.
    Rules of the road

I don't know what rules apply in case of Luas but I'd expect that they'd have to obey ROTR as road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

micawber wrote: »
    Possible that bus began entering junction on green, halted because of either pedestrians or due to garda car coming through on emergency call, and then restarted to clear junction at which stage lights had changed and Luas was coming through?

But the LUAS just doesn't automatically stop and go of it's own will. The driver has to start and stop it... So if the LUAS did see a bus stopped in the middle of the junction why didn't he break?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

its seems like its cie vs veolia today rather then luas vs bus

Or even Tram V Bus > its interesting to see how the word 'Tram' is slowly being dropped (in Ireland).

Just a thought.

Advertisement