Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW2 Pillboxes in Ireland

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

RadioRetro wrote: »
    Hi guys, mind if I contribute a wee bit?

The structure in Rosslare Harbour is a pillbox built into the cliff face facing out over the harbour close to the current Coastguard hut (here; 52°15'0.07"N 6°20'7.30"W). As a youngster I crawled into it but it was empty. It's still there and I dare say it's full of detritus left by youngsters now though!

There is a pillbox/LOP on a rocky outcrop with a good view of the approach to Wexford town from the harbour at Kerlogue. There's a GE marker at 52°19'4.77" N 6°27'33.27"W.

The ones in Rosslare are filled in now, ya can't get into them

080.jpg

081.jpg

082.jpg

088.jpg
    entrance to 1

089.jpg
    inside

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭BuckJamesRogers

This is one of the ones on Rossnowlagh in Co. Donegal...there could be more but I'm not 100% sure....

DSC00322.jpg

DSC00323.jpg

Its well sunk into the sand and seems to have been carried a little of the way from the sand bank to the rear. Unfortunately, I neglected to get a photo from inside (not a whole lot there except sand anyway) and it is, obviously, inaccessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

My dad was telling me theres one at Ferrycarrig in wexford, must take a walk yup where he said & see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

I do remember there was one close to the tall circular tower which is now part of the Heritage Park but it was destroyed when the cutting for the bypass was constructed. Can't think of any others that way but would be interested if you find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

some in monasterevan co kildare on the town bridge going over the barrow i think there was 2 but one got removed for a new foothpath.it's a shame to see them geting pulled down:confused:

• Advertisement

Was in fort Dunree, have some bunkers and pillbox pictures:

PICT0262.jpg

PICT0263.jpg

PICT0266.jpg

PICT0269.jpg

PICT0276.jpg

PICT0229.jpg

All were basically the same inside, much graffiti and in disrepair. Some were also inaccessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

PICT0229.jpg

Can you imagine being stuck in that one on a stormy November night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Can you imagine being stuck in that one on a stormy November night

I can't see anybody in them lasting more than 30 minutes (assuming that they survived the initial naval or air bombardment or that they were not completely bypassed to save time in the first place). You would have to be a seriously brave person to stay in one of those in the event of an invasion. I'd wonder if any of those were designed to be nothing more than early warning or spotter locations ?

Morlar wrote: »
    I can't see anybody in them lasting more than 30 minutes (assuming that they survived the initial naval or air bombardment or that they were not completely bypassed to save time in the first place). You would have to be a seriously brave person to stay in one of those in the event of an invasion. I'd wonder if any of those were designed to be nothing more than early warning or spotter locations ?

thats right near the main base, and the main guns, they're pretty big too. but the forts arent that extensive, though it was abandoned and not modernised quite some time ago. still used for tactics (FIBUA)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Morlar wrote: »

Forget about being shelled, I be more scared of the sea

the could not of kept watch there in a storm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

It like that these are the WWI ones. Found a bit about it:

'In the late 19th Century the fort was modernised and elarged with the building of the, ‘Top Fort’ on Dunree Hill. During World War I it stood guard whilst Admiral Lord Jellicoe’s fleet anchored in Lough Swilly prior to engaging the German Navy at the Battle of Jutland.'

Here: http://www.dunree.pro.ie/history.html

and here handover of the fort in 1938:

DunreeFort.jpg

Looks like a nice tip for a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Dummy wrote: »
    I have seen two of these pillboxes during recent fishing trips near Cavan.

One is in Butlersbridge, on the old road heading for Cavan town.

The other is on the outskirts of Cavan town, on the left heading towards Granard. This one more formidable than the first, embedded into a hillside.

I had no camera with me, but there will be another opportunity over the Summer.
    I think there's another one in Cavan along the Crossdoney to Arvagh road. Right alongside the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

bobby wade wrote: »
    My dad was telling me theres one at Ferrycarrig in wexford, must take a walk yup where he said & see

There's also something on the trail between the tower and hotel, I'll look for the thread now.

Edit: Just realised you were the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dixie33

This is one of the ones on Rossnowlagh in Co. Donegal...there could be more but I'm not 100% sure....

DSC00322.jpg

DSC00323.jpg

Its well sunk into the sand and seems to have been carried a little of the way from the sand bank to the rear. Unfortunately, I neglected to get a photo from inside (not a whole lot there except sand anyway) and it is, obviously, inaccessible.

Was hoping someone would have mentioned this so thank you :)

I think theres 2 or 3 of these on the beach. Theyre from WW2 and were used to defend againts planes, although i have no idea how but i presume these pillboxes were not intended to house weapons as theyre quite small and the embrassures dnt seem to allow for a wide range of movement.

The fact they're lying burried in the sand is due to coastal errosion as they were once on top of the dunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hairy Nipples 87

great links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

There may have been a pillbox in Carrigaline too - at least a mysterious concrete structure on a rocky hillside facing South. The back was totally empty (i.e it had 3 sides and a roof), but the front had a long narrow slit looking out over the Owenabue river. I always thought it looked like a pillbox, but never knew they existed in Ireland.

The link here may show it - it's on a rocky hilly bit on the left side of Church Rd. past Waterpark, on the left side of the road.

http://http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=carrigaline&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=17.916073,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Carrigaline,+County+Cork,+Ireland&ll=51.816681,-8.372439&spn=0.000395,0.001373&t=h&z=20

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mikehn

There was/is a fairly significant construction overlooking the shannon outside tarbert.it was christened Fort Shannon and there was supposed to be a similar structure on the Clare side.
    I was in it about 20 years ago and it was fairly impressive, it was an artillary emplacement, the gun barrell was still in one of the access corridors but the main body of the gun had been removed. The idea was to prevent enemy shipping advancing up the Shannon. At the time we could see the remains of what we assumed were machine gun posts covering the landward side of the emplacement.At the time of our visit there were a couple of nissan huts present in reasonable order, one of the locals told us that from time to time that there would be visits from members of the defence forces that would use the area for small scale excercises. I must try and get out there again with the kids and if I do so I will stick up a couple of pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Water Cooler

Hello

I am looking for pillboxes in the Cavan/Longford/Leitrim areas.

I would appreciate any feedback as I am working on the theory that there was a defensive line which continues through this section of the country.

Can't help you with the specific request, but the pb on rossknowlagh would likely support that, its not a million miles from the Leitrim border and could have easily been connected via Finner camp to any line in Leitrim downward

Also, if you go back a page, you'll find mention of one in Cavan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Hiya,

There are two that spring to mind in Co Cavan.

One on the Cavan town end of Butlersbridge.
    One on a hill side outside Cavan town on left hand side going towards Granard direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

There is one on the sea cliff just above and behind the main pier in Dunmore East, adjacent to the lighthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

There were small pillboxes built during WW2 around sheephaven bay in donegal. There is one visible from the east/south of marble hill beach. Space for 2/3 men. Built by a platoon over couple of weeks. The officers stayed in my family B&B and the soldiers were out in the fields in tents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

There is one on the sea cliff just above and behind the main pier in Dunmore East, adjacent to the lighthouse.
    There were small pillboxes built during WW2 around sheephaven bay in donegal. There is one visible from the east/south of marble hill beach. Space for 2/3 men. Built by a platoon over couple of weeks. The officers stayed in my family B&B and the soldiers were out in the fields in tents.

These are/were coastwatch stations rather than pillboxes.

If you want to spend an interesting afternoon you can cover about 3000 years of Irish fortifications - all in the Boyne valley starting with Danestown Fort near Kentstown, then Hill of Tara, Trim Castle, the Martello Tower in Drogheda and the pillboxes, blockhouse and machine gun nests/pits between Navan and the mouth of the Boyne that made up the Blackwater/Boyne defensive line during WW2 (Ireland's Siegfried and Maginot Lines :D)

Advertisement