Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 €124.99 - First 10 customers - Gamestop: The Square

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

lol just got home from this...

The dawbrain factor, shockingly rife amongst the general public passed my last hour's wait a treat! :D

Crowds of unwashed fúcktards standing in line, not 1 metre from very obvious signs telling everyone that the xbox's were gone to the first ten people by hours... Then mass agro when they were told same. Cue (at their most articulate): "My consumer rights... my solicitor... I demand an xbox". :pac: YOu also had your "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck saaaaaaaaaake"'s as well though.

Hahaha awww - Thank you Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thanks for the heads-up OP, passed your info on to a couple of mates who managed to pick up two early this morning.

rub it in as much as possible to 68 lost souls why don't you :D If not for you he would have been number 9 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Glen Quagmire

consultech wrote: »
    I had a feeling it was gonna happen. Myself and another bloke were purposely very vocal, pointed out to security etc that it would be a good idea to give us vouchers and cut out any maddening crowds all day. Im not so sure it was gamestop's plan to all along to issue them, maybe it was.

I'd say it's only gettin good now anyway.

Well I was the "other bloke"!! It was hilarious this morning! No.1 in the queue yet some randomers tried to muscle their way in front! Funny seeing the people in the shop giving out when there were signs basically saying "xboxs are all allocated".
    To be fair, the shop and security were very good. The staff were actually trying to save me money by suggesting different things. Some good deals in the shop... DVDs for €2!

Well I was the "other bloke"!! It was hilarious this morning! No.1 in the queue yet some randomers tried to muscle their way in front! Funny seeing the people in the shop giving out when there were signs basically saying "xboxs are all allocated".
    To be fair, the shop and security were very good. The staff were actually trying to save me money by suggesting different things. Some good deals in the shop... DVDs for €2!

Yeah the staff seemed pretty cool... Free Pepperami's and Pepsi's! I got Arkham Asylum with the Xbox for 30 bills too after I got chatting to one of the managers. Sound chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭PADDYPOKER

Any other decent opening offers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

i think its pretty bad that gamestop advertised this on there website and at the same time state this is an opening offer and that they are opening at 1pm

yet they went ahead and gave the vouchers out to people hours before opening.

now i understand why they did it, make sense not to have people all over the place waiting around before 1' o clock and just give them vouchers so they arent standing around, but to give them out in the morrning hours before opening is just plain wrong.

even someone on here got an email from them saying to go up and hour or 2 before opening to avail of the offer. what point was that considering they were already given out by the staff.

sorry to hear that '68 lost souls' they should have at least given you something for being 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

I got there at half 8 and was number 11 in the que. Im soo pisse doff. Damn you for posting this thread!

I was number 10 :D:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

68 lost souls, I'm still contemplating buying an xbox myself, we're obviously both near the square, if you're still looking to get one maybe we might get a deal if we buy two together? Obviously not half price but even 50 quid would be nice, or a free game.

Yeah the staff seemed pretty cool... Free Pepperami's and Pepsi's! I got Arkham Asylum with the Xbox for 30 bills too after I got chatting to one of the managers. Sound chap.

Yeah, I always wanted to try a pepperami, but never did. They're nice! Got 30 quid off Fifa 10 cos i pre-booked it whilst trading in COD WAW. :cool:
    I do feel sorry for those who were no.11 etc, but to be fair, there was gonna be a huge demand for half price xboxs' coming up to Xmas... I was there at 6.50am, along with another chap but we were on our own till about 7.40 when a few others arrived.
    I would encourage those who missed out to try and go up to negotiate a deal, as all those stores are looking for business. Half price might not be achievable but getting a second controller and a few games thrown in might be. Also, Gamestop were taking in dvds and old games as part of a trade in...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

i think its pretty bad that gamestop advertised this on there website and at the same time state this is an opening offer and that they are opening at 1pm

That's retarded logic. The same 10 people would've been standing there at 1pm, at which point they would've been given the xbox's.

You see this is the same mentality that had 10 or so people queueing up behind the first ten at 9am, or ignoring the signs in the run up to 1pm. Typical Irish "Ah sure I'll talk them into it" arm-chancery, attempted queue-skipping, followed by unjustified outrage.

How you think that people who turned up at 12.30pm pushing to the front of an unoriganized queue should get priority over those who were there 5 hours longer is fairly funny.

You see this is the same mentality that had 10 or so people queueing up behind the first ten at 9am, or ignoring the signs in the run up to 1pm. Typical Irish "Ah sure I'll talk them into it" arm-chancery, attempted queue-skipping, followed by unjustified outrage.

Thats exactly right. It was hilarious to see that... :D

But I reckon the store will do deals for customers for the first week or so if you have the balls/ovaries to ask :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

That's retarded logic. The same 10 people would've been standing there at 1pm, at which point they would've been given the xbox's.

How you think that people who turned up at 12.30pm pushing to the front of an unoriganized queue should get priority over those who were there 5 hours longer is fairly funny.

i never said that people who turned up at 12.30 should get priority over the others i just think it was bad that the guy on here who got an email was told to go up an hour or 2 before hand to avail of the offer.

my point is but why. giving out the vouchers was an idea to stop the queing all morning long so they must have known they planned on giving out the vouchers in the morning.

can't imagine that any sob one stand there after seeing 10 people in front off him.

they must have known they planned on giving out the vouchers in the morning.

can't imagine that any sob one stand there after seeing 10 people in front off him.

Don't really wanna dig up a thread about last week's news, but:

They didn't know they were giving out vouchers, it was something we coaxed security into getting them to do. All they were were receipts with a manager's signature and number on them.

...and you'd be surprised; there were plenty of people standing after the first ten at 8-9am trying to chance their arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭blagards

i was there with my mate getting one (didnt get one myself, must be mad to walk around the square for 6 hours) and at 1.30 when the shop opened people were going mad about not getting one . . .

they seem to think that they have some sort of divine right to have one. one woman was saying that it should've been the first 10 into the shop at 1.30. can you imagine the trouble that there would be. it would be a ruck:eek:

people just dont think do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Comedy Gold! The end result being that they probably pissed more people off than attract customers to the store. :D

Comedy Gold! The end result being that they probably pissed more people off than attract customers to the store. :D
    there was a lot of people quite annoyed but the shop was packed(it did seem to work as a publicity stunt tbf the amount of people waiting outside the shop for it to open . . . its a computer game shop ffs its not that big a deal) .

it was hilarious seeing people get so angry about an xbox tho . . .

blagards wrote: »
    there was a lot of people quite annoyed but the shop was packed(it did seem to work as a publicity stunt tbf the amount of people waiting outside the shop for it to open . . . its a computer game shop ffs its not that big a deal) .

it was hilarious seeing people get so angry about an xbox tho . . .

:D Instead of stampeding towards the counter when the shutters went up; I stood to the side recording the whole fiasco. Had a classic video from walking around of 4 or 5 people goin mad at separate staff members. I was told by a manager to delete the video or not get sorted out with a discount game!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Lone Ranger

who love to see that vid:p

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

blagards wrote: »
    they seem to think that they have some sort of divine right to have one. one woman was saying that it should've been the first 10 into the shop at 1.30. can you imagine the trouble that there would be. it would be a ruck:eek:
    people just dont think do they?
    In fairness they did say the first 10 customers in the shop at 1 would get the deal, in reality they could have just set up a queue outside the shop and the first 10 people in the queue get the vouchers but still have to wait till 1.30 to get the thing.
    That way the next 10 people to arrive would see the queue and think ah no point in queueing since there's already 10 people in the queue.
    They really did this badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gamestop are amateurs. They'll be gone from the Square a few months after Christmas as their prices are about €5 to €10 more expensive accross the board that GAME, Xtra-Game and HMV all of which are in the Square.

asharkman wrote: »
    In fairness they did say the first 10 customers in the shop at 1 would get the deal, in reality they could have just set up a queue outside the shop and the first 10 people in the queue get the vouchers but still have to wait till 1.30 to get the thing.
    That way the next 10 people to arrive would see the queue and think ah no point in queueing since there's already 10 people in the queue.
    They really did this badly.
    to be fair they set up signs saying that all the xboxes were gone, why make 10 (plus another 2 as me and another lad got dragged along with mates) lads sit outside a shop all day when there is a better way to do it?

Gamestop are amateurs. They'll be gone from the Square a few months after Christmas as their prices are about €5 to €10 more expensive accross the board that GAME, Xtra-Game and HMV all of which are in the Square.

I wouldn't be surprised if the exact opposite transpired tbh. Gamestop have a rich record of driving smaller retail outlets out of business the length an breadth of the country in the last 5 years, and have several corners of the retail gaming market well spoken-for.

As a business outfit they have very few morals, and their (far more receptive) trade-in business is what will set them apart imo. I would expect to see Game (who are suffering elsewhere anyway) struggling in the coming year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I wouldn't be surprised if the exact opposite transpired tbh. Gamestop have a rich record of driving smaller retail outlets out of business the length an breadth of the country in the last 5 years, and have several corners of the retail gaming market well spoken-for.

As a business outfit they have very few morals, and their (far more receptive) trade-in business is what will set them apart imo. I would expect to see Game (who are suffering elsewhere anyway) struggling in the coming year.

Completely agree that Gamestop will do very well. Their offer to trade in games for 30 euro trade-in against other games along with arguably the best selection of second hand games is going to give them plenty of business.

Advertisement