Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Chemistry

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

dee o gee wrote: »
    But then again everyone's different and some people would do ok with just an hour a week,
    I did it an hour a week, and had almost all the course finished in one year. It really does depend on yourself, and if you put the work in.
    dee o gee wrote: »
    id suggest talking with the chemistry teacher in your school.
    I concur!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I'm doing Chemistry, 5 x 45 minute classes a week and still gettin grinds. Like I'm in 6th year and I need minimum B2 for my points, try the marking schemes and papers, they're really helping me so far like :D By reading them you'll find out what you need to learn etc and they should help you in the long run, so yes try papers and marking schemes, see how you go in terms of grinds for 6th year...but honeslty...unless you've grasped the main concepts of it...you'll find it hard in an hour a week! Good Luck though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Coming from a chem teachers point of view, it is doable (if you have a good tutor!!!) you have 2 yrs to do it and understand it....get tet papers, a chem book (chemistry live is good,inc a work book) and a "grind book", I reccommend rapid revision for chemistry..in some book shops you can buy a small fold out thing like a map with chem info on it..,..

the key is practice, practice, practice at exam questions....

if you need any info/help pm me.....

best of luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Woops! What I meant to say at the start is that I'm now at the start of sixth year and need to start chemistry.

Would 2 hours grind a week really be necessary if I did study on my own, or is the course too difficult? I should really get my act together with this whole chemistry thing.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

zam wrote: »
    Woops! What I meant to say at the start is that I'm now at the start of sixth year and need to start chemistry.

Would 2 hours grind a week really be necessary if I did study on my own, or is the course too difficult? I should really get my act together with this whole chemistry thing.. :p

Well it depends, just put it in perspective for a minute. In most schools, students have 5 x 40 or 5 x 45 min classes a week in an exam subject. That's 3hr20 - 3hr45min a week allocated to the subject over two years. You are planning on doing the 2 year course in one year in less time than would be given to one year of the course normally. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you would want to pick things up pretty fast and retain it all, chemistry is detailed.

It also depends on how disciplined you are to study on your own and if you will be able to teach yourself the course. Grinds do have the benefit that you will have a set time to study chemistry every week and be following a certain course.

If you're going to do it you would want to get started pronto, every week that passes is a week less. This is the third week of the school year for most students.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

The majority of my class last year didn't like it at all, and I'm repeating and still finding it quite difficult. That said, I do have a friend who took it up in 1 year and got an A1, like most subjects it depends on the student.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

it depends on the person.....

ChiefBrody whatever you do dont get an edge on it or it wont sink in...if ya need any help let me know...im a chem teacher but i do be floating about nuig too during the week..

Advertisement