Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Voting?

• 11-09-2009 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

I turned 18 in June, and registered straight away :)! Anyone who asks me am I voting, asks straight away am I voting No? its kind of annoying..!! Anyone else voting? Does anyone else find the leaflets on Lisbon of no help?? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I miss out by like three weeks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I am, and I will be voting yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

I would vote but I won't turn 18 until 2 months after the referundum.

Few of the leaflets (if any) contain any actual information on the treaty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

Is it too late to register now, im presuming it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

RandomIrl wrote: »

No, you have until Tuesday to submit the forms to your county/city council.

(They're on www.checktheregister.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

RandomIrl wrote: »

Depends what way you're voting ;)

We got a registration card in the post about a week ago trying to get anyone that hasn't registered to register. You might not be too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

I registered so I'll be able to vote Yes.
    I HATE those signs saying "they died for your freedom, don't throw it away".
    Its the most ridiculous argument ever but will probably be effective in getting (older) people to say no out of a BS sense of patriotism.

I'll be voting alright, and, yet again, I'll be voting yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I missed out by about 3 years the last time! Closer to 2 now... Anywho, if I could vote I would vote yes. For those who don't understand the treaty from the booklet the government issued to all households in the country...then...

then...just...

I must leave this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

jumpguy wrote: »
    For those who don't understand the treaty from the booklet the government issued to all households in the country...then...

then...just...

I must leave this country.

+1:pac:

My first time voting was in the middle of the leaving cert, for the local and european elections. Out of the forty or so people in my year who were 18 at that stage, only about five actually registered to vote.

"If you don't know, vote no" is one of the most infuriating things I have ever heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

+1:pac:

My first time voting was in the middle of the leaving cert, for the local and european elections. Out of the forty or so people in my year who were 18 at that stage, only about five actually registered to vote.

"If you don't know, vote no" is one of the most infuriating things I have ever heard.

That was my first time too.

I am still undecided about Lisbon, altho I do think it's been blown out of proportion. I am tempted to vote no just because we are being asked to vote again. Isn't that basically being told "Eh that's not the answer we want, do it again."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I didn't register. *Idiot*

But, I don't think I'd have voted on Lisbon anyway. The treaty is just far too complex for the 'citizen' to fully comprehend and I don't think either side can be trusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

That was my first time too.

I am still undecided about Lisbon, altho I do think it's been blown out of proportion. I am tempted to vote no just because we are being asked to vote again. Isn't that basically being told "Eh that's not the answer we want, do it again."

No, no it is not. The populace demanded reassurances and guarantees on various sections of the treaty, then the government went off and secured them. Now we're voting in light of that. I'll be first in the queue to vote the fcukers out of office, but they did the job right in this case.
    K4t wrote: »
    I didn't register. *Idiot*

But, I don't think I'd have voted on Lisbon anyway. The treaty is just far too complex for the 'citizen' to fully comprehend and I don't think either side can be trusted.

No, it's not. Brew a pot of coffee, sit down with the actual text of the treaty and the support literature and plough through it. It's complicated, but utterly intelligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Definitely it has been blown out of proportion.

It's worth remembering that referenda are often voted on more than once. The only reason divorce is legal in Ireland is because the people voted more than once on the subject. And as It wasn't me! was saying, the circumstances have changed now that we have the assurances on the aspects of the treaty (or stuff that wasn't on the treaty at all!) that were controversial last time. It's not as if the no vote was completely ignored last time.
    K4t wrote: »
    I don't think either side can be trusted.

I'd be far more inclined to trust FF/FG/Labour/ICTU/IBEC etc than Sinn Féin and Declan Ganley. But then that's just my own opinion. Yours is of course equally valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I was going to register, but some guy came to my house to update the register a while ago and told me that I won't be able to vote in Lisbon 2 and I'm not "Officially" on the register until next year :mad:

Also my family never got the Lisbon booklet, I think my postman has it in for me because I get so many packages delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Might as well, nothing else to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 doug.irl.92

If I could vote I would vote YES. For the simple reason just to prove to the NO campaign that we are not stupid and that their scare mongering doesn't work.:(

"€1.84 minimum wage after Lisbon" Haha get real, sure if that is the case we'll just all jump on the dole!

"95% of Europeans would vote no" Where did they get this figure?LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

If I'm around and not at work, I'll be voting yes. I read the leaflet from the referendum comission, and we are being painfully misled by the no campaign stating the minimum wage will fall to €1.84, and the like. It's all a load of rubbish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I couldn't actually vote last time, but I campaigned for the Yes vote.

Without a shadow of a doubt I'll be voting yes this time.

I know a few people voting no. Their reasons tend to include "I don't like Fianna Fail" (What a complete and utter lack of comprehension.) and "I don't understand it. So I'm voting no." (Ehhh?)

Ignorance is not an excuse to vote no.
    Fianna Fáil might be knob end, but this isnt about political parties.
    Libertas are very good reason to vote yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm voting NO - how on earth are we going to pay for all our abortions when the minimum wage is 17c and all the breadwinners of Ireland are enslaved in Europe's SuperArmy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Fad wrote: »
    Ignorance is not an excuse to vote no.
    Yes it is. It would be reckless to ratify a treaty of which you were ignorant.

If you don't know what you're voting for, then you shouldn't vote at all.

Sean_K wrote: »

I suppose.......it'd be reckless to vote at all though.......

As the cautious fellow above me pointed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Sean_K wrote: »

Well thats your fault that you know little or nothing about it. You're on Boards. There's an EU forum where you can be delightfully informed. Not only that, but the Referendum Comission have sent a leaflet to everybody about it, explaining what the treaty means for Ireland.
    A Neurotic wrote: »
    If you don't know what you're voting for, then you shouldn't vote at all.

Sean_K, listen to this (wo)man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Ill be voting no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I can't vote. Damn it, being underage!
    I'd vote yes though.
    Seems like I know more about the Lisbon 2 than my parents. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I can't vote yet, but if I could I'd vote yes.

Know a couple of people who are going to vote no, purely because they don't like being asked to vote again.

I can't vote yet, but if I could I'd vote yes.

Know a couple of people who are going to vote no, purely because they don't like being asked to vote again.

LOL! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

what the hell is wring with these pple... il be voting no simply coz they had the cheek to ask us to vote again even tho it was clear last time what our opinions were.. thatl piss them off hopefully, whos with me?

what the hell is wring with these pple... il be voting no simply coz they had the cheek to ask us to vote again even tho it was clear last time what our opinions were.. thatl piss them off hopefully, whos with me?

*tumbleweed*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

For God's sake.

Go on. Push us all back into the dark ages cos you're too childish to realise how important a Yes vote is.
    Why don't you actually educate yourslef on what the treaty's about instead of trying to spite the whole country, hmm?

I don't have anything against people who vote no, as long as they've a valid reason for doing so. That, however, is not a valid reason.

I could almost respect someone's decision to vote no to "stick it to the government" or whatever if the treaty hadn't been changed since last time, but it has, so it is stupid.

phasers wrote: »
    I could almost respect someone's decision to vote no to "stick it to the government" or whatever if the treaty hadn't been changed since last time, but it has, so it is stupid.

So if i asked you out and you said no would you change your mind if i came back 2 months later and asked you out BUT promised you x y and z?

I just think that ratifying a EU constitution makes our particle history completely pointless and makes you wonder what the hell is the point.

Stev_o wrote: »
    So if i asked you out and you said no would you change your mind if i came back 2 months later and asked you out BUT promised you x y and z?
    How is that in any way the same thing?

Any it depends on why I turned you down originally. If I said no because you smelled and you promised to shower frequently I may say yes.

• Advertisement

phasers wrote: »
    How is that in any way the same thing?

Any it depends on why I turned you down originally. If I said no because you smelled and you promised to shower frequently I may say yes.

Generally people don't like being asked the same thing twice especially if they'v given a answer the first time around. A very large percentage of voters again will have no idea what this treaty is about and will vote on it on the principles of a) It's the secret cure to the recession b) Respect my original vote of no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Generally people don't like being asked the same thing twice especially if they'v given a answer the first time around. A very large percentage of voters again will have no idea what this treaty is about and will vote on it on the principles of a) It's the secret cure to the recession b) Respect my original vote of no.

So would you rather that divorce was still illegal in this country? Granted there was a lot more time in between the two referenda however if the government feels that it has satisfied the concerns of the people who voted no then they're right to put it to them again.

The Government/Yes campaign made a balls of informing people before the first vote. People were ignorant of what the Treaty was about, and were being bombarded with OTT scaremongering from the No side. Many voted No because of these misconceptions. The Government are perfectly right IMO to disregard this vote, inform and educate people sufficiently, and ask us to vote again.

So would you rather that divorce was still illegal in this country? Granted there was a lot more time in between the two referenda however if the government feels that it has satisfied the concerns of the people who voted no then they're right to put it to them again.

Here it's the 2009 not 1940 with Dev and Costello amending Bunreacht. You can get a divorce without any bother in this country.

@A Neurotic: Your still going to have a large percentage who have no idea what these changes mean or what their implementations will have on this country, id rather people vote no because they have a gut feeling about it then being pressured into voting yes, that's not democracy. It seems that this time around it's the Yes side who are ramming down peoples throat to vote yes, each person in this country has the right to a vote and i personally don't think they should be ridiculed for wanting to vote yes or no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Here it's the 2009 not 1940 with Dev and Costello amending Bunreacht. You can get a divorce without any bother in this country.

It wasn't Dev and it wasn;t 1940 either. In 1986 a huge majority of Irish people voted against lifting the ban on divorce. The next time Fine Gael got into power they held another referendum. Vote no if you like but it's foolish to vote no just because you're being asked to vote again.

• Advertisement

Clicky.

tl;dr? An extract:
    No means no, surely?

Some people say, “Hey Beardy, we believe in the EU too. But this Treaty is a
    different matter. We already voted on this thing and we voted no. What part of
    no do our leaders not understand? I mean, it is only two letters. We voted no. No
    means no, right?”

No does in fact mean no, and as a result the Irish government was unable to
    ratify the Lisbon Treaty, and so the Treaty did not become law. In other words,
    the decision of the Irish people was respected. That’s not true! Some say. If they
    respected our decision, why are we voting again? Well, here’s why.

In the same way that the world has the annoying habit of turning, things in European
    politics just did not stop when we said no. Firstly, we were asked by our European
    partners, who along with us had spent eight years and thousands of hours of patient
    diplomacy and negotiation on this Treaty, why we did not like the document.

When they asked us why we threw it out, the top three issues we brought up[*] were
    the fear that this Treaty would bring abortion and conscription into this country and
    the potential loss of our Commissioner. Our European partners were a bit confused.
    And this is why:

They’ve been aware of our sensitivities about abortion for decades, which is
    why there’s been a statement in EU law for the last eighteen years stating that
    abortion is a matter for Irish people to decide. That statement is not changed
    by the Treaty, nor has the EU ever brought in a single piece of law that has ever
    questioned that statement. So for our European partners, associating abortion
    with the Lisbon Treaty is to them like associating quantum mechanics with the
    disappointing second album and subsequent career of Terence Trent D’Arby.

Conscription? A) There’s no mention of it in the Treaty, and B) there’s no EU army to
    conscript into.

As for our concern about the Commissioner. Now….this was something they could do
    something about and a couple of other countries were not too happy about either. So all
    countries agreed that if Lisbon ever became law, all countries would apply the rule in
    the Treaty that all countries would keep their guy at the Commission table.

Once we got a number of legal guarantees
    confirming that the issues we’ve imagined to
    be in the Treaty are in fact our imagination
    (abortion and conscription), plus the agreement
    on the Commissioner, our European mates have
    basically said, “So, we’ve heard you, we’ve dealt
    with your concerns that you flagged with this
    document that took us eight years to negotiate,
    would you mind having another democratic look at it along with the other documentation
    we’ve all agreed, to make sure?”

So, can we vote no a second time? Of course we can. Will it be respected? Yes it
    will. As long as the Irish people choose not to ratify the Lisbon Treaty, it will not be
    ratified. If we vote no a second time, the Treaty will remain exactly where it is now.
    Un-ratified.

However, whereas we expect the rest of Europe to respect our decision, they want us
    to also respect theirs.

We cannot be forced to ratify the Lisbon Treaty. That’s not just Irish law, that’s EU law.
    But if we vote no a second time, we are in effect telling the other countries that this is
    the end of the line for us. Not that we are leaving the EU, but that we have gone as far
    as we are going.

The rest of the EU won’t like that answer, but they’ll accept it, and make their own
    arrangements without us. Why? Because we told them we were no longer interested.
    Shocking and all as the concept is, they will actually believe us. If there is anyone who
    thinks that Ireland is better served by the great majority of our allies having private
    discussions without us about the future of Europe, then let’s hear from them.

In 1916 we fought and defeated the most powerful empire in the world for the right to
    speak for ourselves at the table of nations. The EU assured us of that place, and now we
    seem eager to relinquish it, just as other small countries like Iceland seem very eager
    to take our place. (Or, in the case of Iceland, is it plaice?)

This October, we get to decide our future, and despite what the cynics tell you,
    our decision will be respected.

Perhaps we are only realising that now?

[*] The one I’m not including here is in fact the top answer to the survey after the Lisbon Treaty, which
    was the ‘I didn’t understand it/it’s so complicated’ argument. Laziness is not really an ‘issue’ that our
    European mates can help us with.

Did he just make up a bit of history at the end there of us beating Britain in 1916?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Did he just make up a bit of history at the end there of us beating Britain in 1916?

Yes he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

i was 18 in June i filled out my form to register but i lost it meh no harm done i wouldnt know what to vote anyway so doesnt bother me ill sign up eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Metal_Princess

I was under the impression we lived in a democracy

how is this so when we, the people are asked to vote twice on the same referendum to which we already voted NO to just because our governmeant are a bunch of selfish idiotic assholes wanting to line their pockets without a second thought for the effects this will have on the ordinary people, and without giving us any new information? just lies and promices of a better future? to get out of the recession? be one with europe?

no more free education, no more neutrality, lower basic wages and oh yes the best part...ireland will have practicly no say in anything that is passed through the EU our vote couts for something minimal like 000.7%

last time i checked

it was against the IRISH CONSTITUTION (yes it is written in their go do some research if you dont believe me, written in LAW ) to make to people vote twice on the same referendum and that the peoples vote is law and final

How many more times will they push us untill they get the yes that so desperatly crave?

To spit on the history of our freedom? On the people who campaigned and fought to make ireland a free democratic country ??

where is our free ireland today?
    it is being burned to the ground
    and we shall once again stand back and watch it burn :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

I was under the impression we lived in a democracy

how is this so when we, the people are asked to vote twice on the same referendum to which we already voted NO to just because our governmeant are a bunch of selfish idiotic assholes wanting to line their pockets without a second thought for the effects this will have on the ordinary people, and without giving us any new information? just lies and promices of a better future? to get out of the recession? be one with europe?

no more free education, no more neutrality, lower basic wages and oh yes the best part...ireland will have practicly no say in anything that is passed through the EU our vote couts for something minimal like 000.7%

last time i checked

it was against the IRISH CONSTITUTION (yes it is written in their go do some research if you dont believe me, written in LAW ) to make to people vote twice on the same referendum and that the peoples vote is law and final

How many more times will they push us untill they get the yes that so desperatly crave?

To spit on the history of our freedom? On the people who campaigned and fought to make ireland a free democratic country ??

where is our free ireland today?
    it is being burned to the ground
    and we shall once again stand back and watch it burn :(
    Clicky.

tl;dr? An extract:
    No means no, surely?

Some people say, “Hey Beardy, we believe in the EU too. But this Treaty is a
    different matter. We already voted on this thing and we voted no. What part of
    no do our leaders not understand? I mean, it is only two letters. We voted no. No
    means no, right?”

No does in fact mean no, and as a result the Irish government was unable to
    ratify the Lisbon Treaty, and so the Treaty did not become law. In other words,
    the decision of the Irish people was respected. That’s not true! Some say. If they
    respected our decision, why are we voting again? Well, here’s why.

In the same way that the world has the annoying habit of turning, things in European
    politics just did not stop when we said no. Firstly, we were asked by our European
    partners, who along with us had spent eight years and thousands of hours of patient
    diplomacy and negotiation on this Treaty, why we did not like the document.

When they asked us why we threw it out, the top three issues we brought up
    [*] were
    the fear that this Treaty would bring abortion and conscription into this country and
    the potential loss of our Commissioner. Our European partners were a bit confused.
    And this is why:

They’ve been aware of our sensitivities about abortion for decades, which is
    why there’s been a statement in EU law for the last eighteen years stating that
    abortion is a matter for Irish people to decide. That statement is not changed
    by the Treaty, nor has the EU ever brought in a single piece of law that has ever
    questioned that statement. So for our European partners, associating abortion
    with the Lisbon Treaty is to them like associating quantum mechanics with the
    disappointing second album and subsequent career of Terence Trent D’Arby.

Conscription? A) There’s no mention of it in the Treaty, and B) there’s no EU army to
    conscript into.

As for our concern about the Commissioner. Now….this was something they could do
    something about and a couple of other countries were not too happy about either. So all
    countries agreed that if Lisbon ever became law, all countries would apply the rule in
    the Treaty that all countries would keep their guy at the Commission table.

Once we got a number of legal guarantees
    confirming that the issues we’ve imagined to
    be in the Treaty are in fact our imagination
    (abortion and conscription), plus the agreement
    on the Commissioner, our European mates have
    basically said, “So, we’ve heard you, we’ve dealt
    with your concerns that you flagged with this
    document that took us eight years to negotiate,
    would you mind having another democratic look at it along with the other documentation
    we’ve all agreed, to make sure?”

So, can we vote no a second time? Of course we can. Will it be respected? Yes it
    will. As long as the Irish people choose not to ratify the Lisbon Treaty, it will not be
    ratified. If we vote no a second time, the Treaty will remain exactly where it is now.
    Un-ratified.

However, whereas we expect the rest of Europe to respect our decision, they want us
    to also respect theirs.

We cannot be forced to ratify the Lisbon Treaty. That’s not just Irish law, that’s EU law.
    But if we vote no a second time, we are in effect telling the other countries that this is
    the end of the line for us. Not that we are leaving the EU, but that we have gone as far
    as we are going.

The rest of the EU won’t like that answer, but they’ll accept it, and make their own
    arrangements without us. Why? Because we told them we were no longer interested.
    Shocking and all as the concept is, they will actually believe us. If there is anyone who
    thinks that Ireland is better served by the great majority of our allies having private
    discussions without us about the future of Europe, then let’s hear from them.

In 1916 we fought and defeated the most powerful empire in the world for the right to
    speak for ourselves at the table of nations. The EU assured us of that place, and now we
    seem eager to relinquish it, just as other small countries like Iceland seem very eager
    to take our place. (Or, in the case of Iceland, is it plaice?)

This October, we get to decide our future, and despite what the cynics tell you,
    our decision will be respected.

Perhaps we are only realising that now?

[*] The one I’m not including here is in fact the top answer to the survey after the Lisbon Treaty, which
    was the ‘I didn’t understand it/it’s so complicated’ argument. Laziness is not really an ‘issue’ that our
    European mates can help us with.

So what reason will you give us next Metal_Princess?

**** democracy. They should test you before you're allowed a vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Unsure on which way i'll go to be honest. Still mulling it over. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

People were ignorant of what the Treaty was about, and were being bombarded with OTT scaremongering from the No side. Many voted No because of these misconceptions.
    And if a Yes vote passes, we should probably run it through a 3rd time due to the fact that many will have voted 'Yes' due to misconceptions such as magical job creation and recession destroying treaty pills along with Europe deciding they won't beat it us up.

It's not as if the majority of "Yes" voters really know what they're talking about either.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Cloned Alien

It's not as if the majority of "Yes" voters really know what they're talking about either

And the NO side know what their are talking about, very unlikely.

Ireland in Europe that functions efficently unlike it is now under Nice is only beneficial to Ireland and goodwill towards Ireland for a yes cant hurt either. The No campagin just scaremonger anyway.

They are just far right and left wing nutjobs who i would never trust

• Advertisement
Advertisement