Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint about teacher

Options
  • 10-09-2009 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

How do I make a complaint about a teacher in my sons school ?
    Do I just complain to the school or can I go straight to the dept of education ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

I think the obvious question here is what is it exactly that you want to complain about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Can't be much help on how to make a complaint but i know in my school parents made complaints about teachers, nothing happened and we still had the same teachers. Hopefully that doesn't happen in all schools though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

The teacher is bullying students.
    The teacher is not teaching the subject.
    The teacher keeps putting students out of the class for no reason.
    The teacher was suspended and got her place back with the aid of a solicitor.
    The school had to pay for grinds for the sixth years before their exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm only a student myself but common sense tells me to follow a chain of command. Talk to the principal first, if you're not satisfied, talk to the department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

Well if what you have said is true then I'm sure the principal is trying everything he/she can to get rid of this teacher and I doubt there's much point in you complaining.

Also if the teacher has a permanent position then I think it's extremely difficult for the teacher to be sacked

• Advertisement

JW91 wrote: »
    Well if what you have said is true then I'm sure the principal is trying everything he/she can to get rid of this teacher and I doubt there's much point in you complaining.

Also if the teacher has a permanent position then I think it's extremely difficult for the teacher to be sacked

The principle wants the teacher gone but his hands are tied, the teacher refuses to talk to him or a parent. My son is entitled to his education but cant get it because of this teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭sean0

Is it not possible for your son to go to another class i.e same subject different teacher?

Sounds like one of those teachers who can't discipline a class, it gets to the stage where the only way she can control a class is by removing disruptive pupils and at times those who do little end up getting in trouble just out of pure frustration from the teacher.

The teacher can't control the class and therefore the course will never get finished.Seriously I've been in this situation with teachers before.
    If she can't control the class trust me your son will learn nothing and may aswell just not go to the class!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

2qk4u wrote: »
    The principle wants the teacher gone but his hands are tied, the teacher refuses to talk to him or a parent. My son is entitled to his education but cant get it because of this teacher.

So how is telling the principal what he already knows going to help him?

Get together with other parents and demand action to be taking, someone will have to take note!

Today my son was one of the last into the classroom and was looking for a seat, the teacher called him to the top of the class, when he was standing there the teacher just kept telling him to wait there for a minute, then when all the seats were filled the teacher turned to my son and told him to get out of the class because it was full. This is not the first time my son has been put out of the class and he is not the only one.

• Advertisement

I don't understand how the class was full, how is it possible for there not to be enough seats?
    There has to be enough seats/desks for everyone, this is a complaint the principal should answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

The department sounds like your best bet. Could you get the parents association behind you? Add some validity to your complaint. And you could try and get some other angry parents to complain as well. I'd say the department would be more likely to do something if they're constantly being contacted about this teacher.

sean0 wrote: »
    Get together with other parents and demand action to be taking, someone will have to take note!

I am trying to get other parents and considering going to the papers..

I don't understand how the class was full, how is it possible for there not to be enough seats?
    There has to be enough seats/desks for everyone, this is a complaint the principal should answer for.

There is not enough tables and chair for everyone, they had to borrow 3 chairs from another room for the last class.

Evening Herald is the paper to go to I reckon if you go that route.They covered similar stories like this before

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

rainbowtrout, Spurious or deemark might be best able to answer this question, as they;re teachers. I'll PM them about the thread.

The chain of command is usually principal < Board of Management < Department of Education. Write a letter to the principal stating clearly your concerns about the teacher and informing them that if a suitable outcome isn't obtained then you'll be taking it to the BOM. It might be a good idea to get the parents' association on your side and see if any other parents have found the teacher to be as bad as your son has. You complaint might have more weight if it's supported by the parents' association.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭newbie85

The problem is that all of the cuts made to education this year meant that some teachers without permanent jobs were let go from schools. so all the kids that were in their classes had to be shared out between others. this means that classrooms are overcrowded and there literally isnt enough room for everyone in a class. In the school i work in i heard of a class having 37 students in it! madness! and in recent years classrooms have been built smaller based on the assumption that class sizes would be reducing rather than growing, as the government had promised. so now they've ended up crowding kids into small rooms and expecting them to learn in cramped conditions! not much a principal can do if all the rooms in a school are the same size and he isnt allowed to hire teachers!!

OP you could contact the Teaching Council, who are supposed to regulate the teaching profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭ronrar

Do I just complain to the school or can I go straight to the dept of education ?

Don't waste your time complaining to the school. Most of them are buddies and won't do a thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

The teacher is bullying students.
    The teacher is not teaching the subject.
    The teacher keeps putting students out of the class for no reason.
    The teacher was suspended and got her place back with the aid of a solicitor.
    The school had to pay for grinds for the sixth years before their exams.

By the sound of things the principal of the school is retarded:rolleyes:
    Best send a letter to the boys in charge, and try to get a few others to do the same.

The more letters they get, the more likely they will follow up:)

Piste wrote: »
    rainbowtrout, Spurious or deemark might be best able to answer this question, as they;re teachers. I'll PM them about the thread.

The chain of command is usually principal < Board of Management < Department of Education. Write a letter to the principal stating clearly your concerns about the teacher and informing them that if a suitable outcome isn't obtained then you'll be taking it to the BOM. It might be a good idea to get the parents' association on your side and see if any other parents have found the teacher to be as bad as your son has. You complaint might have more weight if it's supported by the parents' association.
    We are trying contact other parents and the parents association and will be writing a letter. My concern is that this will drag out and these students will miss out and fail their leaving cert over this teacher, im just amazed that someone in this position can do this to these kids and nothing has been done about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

My concern is that this will drag out and these students will miss out and fail their leaving cert over this teacher, im just amazed that someone in this position can do this to these kids and nothing has been done about it.

Welcome to the Irish Public Service...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sounds like the teacher is frustrated with the effect the cutbacks are having.
    Was the class always that big? Are both levels in together? Is the class size now beyond the size the classroom was intended for (extra desks needed)?

If the teacher is bullying your child by repeatedly targetting him/her, keep a record of all incidents. Write to the Principal and Board of Management/VEC (whatever applies). On Health and Safety grounds your child is entitled to be protected.

Don't rely solely on your child's account of events.
    Be prepared for a long drawn out battle.

You won't get far saying things like 'the teacher doesn't teach the subject' - the school will just have to show one or two children passing to refute that allegation.
    Whether people go for grinds is neither here nor there.
    Putting children outside the door is an issue for the school's insurers.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the teacher being suspended and getting her place back with the aid of a solicitor, how could you possibly know details of any in-school legal issues? If private business is common knowledge the teacher will have a very strong case herself against the school. For your own protection, I'd steer clear of mentioning anything like that in public, but absolutely if you can show a pattern of repeat behaviour targetting your child above all others in the class, then pursue it with the school management/owners.

I doubt the papers will cover a bullying story, for all the reasons mentioned above, but overcrowded classes are only the tip of the ice-berg of a story on the effects of the cutbacks - they might fly with that one.
    Nonetheless, pursue the bullying allegation, but be careful.

37 students in a class! not fair on the students or the teacher.Just shouldn't be allowed to happen.I know the sizes of these classrooms and at most you could have is 30 and they still feel crowded.Terrible conditions for both teachers and students can't believe the government gets away with this!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

stainluss wrote: »
    By the sound of things the principal of the school is retarded :rolleyes:
    Or his / her hands are tied by legal eagles and the unions.

As Piste and spurious have said, the first step would be to write to the Principal; if things aren't sorted, the BoM; if it really isn't possible to get it sorted at local level, then the Department.

A note of warning: if I see anything in this thread that allows the teacher or the school to be identified, it will disappear forthwith. Boards doesn't need solicitors camping out on the doorstep.

That is NOT a slap at anyone who has posted so far, you have all been careful and circumspect, especially the OP, and my thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

The school should have a written policy, supplied to all parents/guardians, covering the complaints procedure. If it exists, you should follow it. If it doesn't....

Make an appointment to meet the teacher, this is generally arranged through the school secretary. I would recommend both parents/guardians attending, if possible, so there is a witness. Talk the concern through with the teacher and try and reach an agreement. If you do reach an agreement write a short, courteous, follow on note to the teacher. This should briefly summarise the outcome of the meeting. Send it by recorded delivery.

If you can't reach an agreement, explain to the teacher that you are not satisfied and that you will be following up with the School Principal. (If the teacher refuses to meet you, you should also go direct to the School Principal.) Take the same approach with the School Principal as outlined above.

If you are not satisfied with the approach being taken by the Principal you should write to the Chairman of the School Board of Management. (Write care of the school using recorded delivery or registered post. If appropriate, mark the letter "Private")

Once the above steps are exhausted you can then go to the "School Patron", generally the local Bishop for Catholic Schools, or direct to the Dept. of Ed.

The approach above means that you are making every effort to resolve the problem in the easiest way possible. It is also most likely to be the most successful. If it is a simple misunderstanding it can be cleared up quickly with the teacher. If it is the teacher that is at fault, going to the Principal will help him/her do their job.

Generally, neither the teacher nor the Principal will want an escalation to the school board. I have seen issues resolved immediately before they were to be discussed at a BOM meeting.

The one thing you shouldn't do is give up. Most issues are dealt with professionally by all involved. Even where the aren't, BOM's have a legal duty of are to their pupils and you can insist taht they take any action necessary.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There could possible ongoing issues going on in the background between teacher and school that you are not aware of.
    Today my son was one of the last into the classroom and was looking for a seat, the teacher called him to the top of the class, when he was standing there the teacher just kept telling him to wait there for a minute, then when all the seats were filled the teacher turned to my son and told him to get out of the class because it was full. This is not the first time my son has been put out of the class and he is not the only one.

Not agreeing with what happened, but this could be to do with class sizes, if the number of students exceeds the recommended class size (and it sounds like it has), the teacher could be following union guidelines and refusing to take anymore than the maximum into their class.. but obviously other issues have been outlined already as well.
    I am trying to get other parents and considering going to the papers..

Hold off on that until you have gone through the proper channels, papers tend to sensationalise stuff and pick on one point. There are stories every year of the type 'Student thrown out of school a week before the leaving, not allowed to sit exams' and when you dig a little deeper you find there's good reason for it but this is glossed over. It might give you publicity but if it's found there are no/weak grounds for your case, it won't help.
    Piste wrote: »

This is pretty much what I said to Piste by PM. What I also said was to start taking note of everything and keep a written record. Write to the BOM. Request a meeting with them if you want, but do remember there are two sides to every story and the teacher has a right to reply. Not saying you are wrong but the teacher will have their own version of what is going on.

eg. Teacher is bullying me - Student has to be reprimanded for not doing homework
    eg. I was thrown out of class - Class size exceeds recommended numbers for Health and Safety

Also students are in the duty of care of the teacher during class time, they should not be put outside the door.
    newbie85 wrote: »
    OP you could contact the Teaching Council, who are supposed to regulate the teaching profession.

They are only a regulatory body, they essentially are compiling a register of qualified teachers, that's about it.

spurious wrote: »
    Sounds like the teacher is frustrated with the effect the cutbacks are having.
    Was the class always that big? Are both levels in together? Is the class size now beyond the size the classroom was intended for (extra desks needed)?

If the teacher is bullying your child by repeatedly targetting him/her, keep a record of all incidents. Write to the Principal and Board of Management/VEC (whatever applies). On Health and Safety grounds your child is entitled to be protected.

Don't rely solely on your child's account of events.
    Be prepared for a long drawn out battle.

You won't get far saying things like 'the teacher doesn't teach the subject' - the school will just have to show one or two children passing to refute that allegation.
    Whether people go for grinds is neither here nor there.
    Putting children outside the door is an issue for the school's insurers.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the teacher being suspended and getting her place back with the aid of a solicitor, how could you possibly know details of any in-school legal issues? If private business is common knowledge the teacher will have a very strong case herself against the school. For your own protection, I'd steer clear of mentioning anything like that in public, but absolutely if you can show a pattern of repeat behaviour targetting your child above all others in the class, then pursue it with the school management/owners.

I doubt the papers will cover a bullying story, for all the reasons mentioned above, but overcrowded classes are only the tip of the ice-berg of a story on the effects of the cutbacks - they might fly with that one.
    Nonetheless, pursue the bullying allegation, but be careful.

+1 on everything spurious said

Thanks for the replys, some good advice there.

Just to clarify - this teacher did the same to last years class and following a complaint the teacher was suspended but challenged it with a solicitor and got reinstated.

I am going to go ahead with a complaint to the board of managment after the teachers behavior today, my other son suffered last year over this teacher and im not letting this go.

I will follow the procedure for complaints and if this is not resolved I will bring it to the attention of the childrens ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Hillel's advice is good-following the procedures and chain of command is your only option. Bear in mind that every school does not have a complaints procedure and that the DES will not be interested in one parent's complaint about one teacher in one school and will only redirect you to the school. Going to the media creates a risk of slander.

The other thing I'd like to add is: don't hold your breath. Under-performing permanent teachers are more or less impossible to get rid of. The word of a few disgruntled students and parents won't do it. However, if a large group of parents decide to take action, all incidents of inappropriate behaviour need to be documented, but the wheels move very slowly. Even if something happens, your son could be facing his exams before anything happens. Your most expedient course of action is to get your son moved to another class.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

deemark wrote: »
    Going to the media creates a risk of slander.
    Just one additional comment on this: it also escalates the situation, a bit like going to nuclear war over a border skirmish. You risk facing closed doors where you might otherwise have got some help, or at the least having everyone wary of even speaking to you for fear they will find themselves quoted in the newspaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

It is likely your son has a Class Teacher,that is the person who monitors his progress and should be aware of any day to day difficulties that one of his/her students is experiencing and will communicate concerns to the Year Head who in turn reports to the Principal,if need be.And in your case this is,obviously,necessary.Arrange a meeting with all three and have the situation clarified.A healthy home/school relationship is vital to a student's educational welfare and I'm sure your active interest will be most welcome.

Advertisement