Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New batch of mysterious lights over Dublin...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Great vid Lynx!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

mysterious wrote: »
    If you actually were "open" to realising that there is activity outside your planet and yes I mean life.

I suppose that goes to show what you know about me, which is precisely nothing.

I am open to any possibility actually. I have just yet to see one shred of evidence that does not look fake or has been proven to be a hoax.
    I actually do enjoy watching UFO documentaries and would love to see something myself.

I am just saying, I do not think any aliens have actually visited our planet and certainly not on a regular basis the way all these sightings seem to indicate.

Also I work off the logic that if aliens are visiting us, and clearly they have not made their presence known then they are hiding. So maybe you can explain why a society of technologically superior beings, and therefore probably more intelligent than we are seem to have nothing better to do than fly around over heavily populated areas with flashing lights screaming "look at me, I am alien spacecraft"?? It makes no sense, if they want to hide then turn off the damn lights.

The only flying craft that have any need to have lights on are... you guessed it... man made air craft.

So don't go assuming because I do not believe you saw a UFO that I do not believe in the possibility.

If you saw a large object move overhead with no sound and no visible light looking all stealthy then I would put it down to a stealth aircraft, but I would at least be open to the possibility that it is more likely to be an alien craft than something putting on a light show.

Anyway moving on, Luxy that is a cool video. Now get yourself some binoculars :D I would have been straight out with mine if I had seen something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

I saw a bunch of these lights in the sky as I was out cycling somewhere last night in Dublin. There was about 10-15 of them. Some moved, some stayed still, some disappered, came back etc. Un-nerving it was. They looked to be over the Rathgar/Rathmines area, I'm not sure. I have a picture anyway, you can only see two of the lights. They are quite obvious, just ignore the street lamps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Nice video, thanks for posting.

To me they look and act like Chinese lanterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

99% they are Chinese lanterns. Perfect weather for them too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Nice video, thanks for posting.

To me they look and act like Chinese lanterns.

Yeah, they look a lot like that, they appear to be floating on the wind, all going in the same direction, and the flickering of the lights look like flames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Someone also posted on the youtube link that they released 100 lanterns in the area in honour of their brother. So I guess that's that then really.

Still though, you can see how easily it is (and a little exciting) for people to think ET :)

Can't explain all the UFO's away with lanterns though but like this, video proof goes a long way to helping either way.

Does anybody know how long a chinese lantern stays alight ? I filmed one this weekend and it didnt stay alight too long . Some people are seeing these lights lasting for 2 or 3 hours .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

depends on how long the candle burns TBH

heres a link to some if you want to buy them

http://www.pressieport.ie/products/Traditional-Chinese-Flying-Lanterns.html

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sarah_lennon

Saw something very similar today in South County Dub. They were in the sky for about 10-15 minutes then disapperaed / faded

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I saw some weird flashing lights in the sky the other night. I even took pictures thinking I was experiencing something extra terrestrial....but it turned out it was just Coldplay playing in the park :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

Luxy wrote: »
    Now, here's the link;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSQ_yVlSjlo

You'll have to excuse the poor quality, it's only a digital camera, not a camcorder. Obviously the lighting's not great, but if you view it on full screen you'll see what's going on!

why is it private?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Last night (19/09/09) I was at a friends house (between Shankill and Ballybrack, Dublin) and was called out into the back garden at about 11.40pm to look at strange lights in the sky. There was a very noticeably bright white star visible, and around it there were up to eight smaller red lights all moving a various speeds from right to left across the front of this brighter star.

Some of these seemed to fade away in the night sky after a few minutes, whilst others simply remained moving a high speeds in and around the vicinity of the bright star.

All four of us in the house eventually ended up standing agog at this for about ten minutes having no idea what it could be. It was a very still, clear and quiet night and there were no sounds to be heard (engines etc)

If anyone else saw this or could help explain this myself, and my three friends would greatly appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Spotted three orange lights floating over my attic just there...

They were coming from the mountains, They were low enough for me to identify them as Chinese sky lanterns, You could see the shape and fire burning underneath it.

When they got higher and further away they looked like UFO's :D

For the record, the things we witnessed on Saturday night seemed MILES up in the air. Would be surprised if lanterns would have been able to go that high and be that bright. There didn't seem to be any difference between the height of the "normal" white star, and these moving, coloured fellas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Tonight,here in the West,there is unusual cloud cover,very patchy.The result of this is to give the impression of lights(stars,jets etc) in the sky disappearing and suddenly reappearing in another part of the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Maynard did ya see anything odd tonight, just had a friend text me from tallaght and said he saw odd lights in the sky.

Hey there. Wasn't looking skyward tonight at all, but in relation to this I got a reply in another forum stating that what I saw were in fact Chinese lanterns that were floating in front of the planet Jupiter. Apparently Jupiter was the bright star that we saw. I was unaware of this supposed new fad of sailing Chinese lanterns for any old reason. Apparently everyone's at it!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Thanks for your answer, just texted it to him, let him make up his own mind....thanks again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lildivil

I live about five miles from the airport and am well used to air traffic and associated noises. Tonight my daughter was out looking to call in our cats for the evening and she called me out to see a fast moving red/orange light in the sky. It was very bright and was moving very very fast. I watched it travel in a south to north direction and it veered very slightly to the northwest. I waited for it to make noise as there were none of the usual blinking lights associated with aircraft and it did not make any noise at all. it just sped on past out of sight. Did anyone else see this?? the light appeared past my house at approximately 11.55pm and headed towards Ashbourne. Again, no noise, just travelled very fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

lildivil wrote: »
    I live about five miles from the airport and am well used to air traffic and associated noises. Tonight my daughter was out looking to call in our cats for the evening and she called me out to see a fast moving red/orange light in the sky. It was very bright and was moving very very fast. I watched it travel in a south to north direction and it veered very slightly to the northwest. I waited for it to make noise as there were none of the usual blinking lights associated with aircraft and it did not make any noise at all. it just sped on past out of sight. Did anyone else see this?? the light appeared past my house at approximately 11.55pm and headed towards Ashbourne. Again, no noise, just travelled very fast.

The ammount of people who got Chineese lanterns for Christmas this year. For the last two nights they are buzzing across the Dublin sky.They are very fast, silent and bright at a distance.They also travel horizontal when they reach a certain height. Check wind direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lildivil

Use Chinese lanterns myself and it was definitely not one that I saw last night, too big, fast, and moving against the wind too. Whatever this light was it was headed in a definite direction and the wind had no effect on it whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

lildivil wrote: »
    Use Chinese lanterns myself and it was definitely not one that I saw last night, too big, fast, and moving against the wind too. Whatever this light was it was headed in a definite direction and the wind had no effect on it whatsoever.

A wayward reindeer?

Advertisement