Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derren Brown predicts Lotto

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    mathematicians have called Brown's explanation "nonsense". :pac:
    Doesn't take a mathematician to know its BS!

Glad I didn't bother watching it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I felt a bit dumb on Friday night as I couldn't get his reasoning so you can imagine my relief reading that mathematicians have called Brown's explanation "nonsense". :pac:

Magician makes **** up.

Stop the ****ing presses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

King Mob wrote: »
    Magician makes **** up.

Stop the ****ing presses.

I love how the instant you drop words like 'psychic' and 'gift' etc from your routine, and just replace them with words like 'math' and 'NLP' people all of a sudden take you very seriously =P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

oeb wrote: »
    I love how the instant you drop words like 'psychic' and 'gift' etc from your routine, and just replace them with words like 'math' and 'NLP' people all of a sudden take you very seriously =P
    Yeah, or if you constantly assert that it's just an experiment and it might fail.

Like the old episode where he 'suggested' to people on the tube that they might forget where they were going and then when asked, like 90% of them forgot where they were going until he somehow unstuck them.
    He showed one or two clips where it just didn't work. And because of this, almost everyone I spoke to about it felt that it was therefore real :pac:

Definitely fun watching and presented in a slick way, but people can be fairly gullible :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

zynaps wrote: »
    Definitely fun watching and presented in a slick way, but people can be fairly gullible :)

And that's Magic, folks!

Very disappointed by the Friday show. He's done some really good stuff in teh past (The Heist was sensational and teh Oracle part of his live show is very strong) but this was weak. The explanation show was 15 minutes of okish material stretched into an hour. The whole Mouse and Knife thing felt like filler and teh presentation just was not anything close to his normal standards. And not in a million years would 24 peoples average guesses get all 6 lottery numbers. Which leaves you with the uncomfortable feeling that it was the laziest stunt of them all, a camera trick.

I don't mind if his explanations are nonsense, as long as they are entertaining and plausible nonsense. This was neither. And I'm not that blown away by the trailers for the next couple of weeks shows either.

I think he's at a crossroads - apparently he turned down a big money move to ITV as he didn't want to be a "cheesy TV magician". Many more shows like this one and he will be...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 shockpeter

i passed him doing something to someone on the street the other week in london. bit intense and creepy really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

Just saw that episode. Derren knows how to work a crowd alright; he spent a full hour feeding people garbage to hide what he really did.

This video gives a good explanation of how it was achieved. Essentially, he split the screen in two, and used software to artifically "shake" the camera to add to the realism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqAt2akPHJ8&feature=player_embedded#t=25

What set alarm bells ringing for me was the fact that he had a camera man in the front, and one in the back. Why have the one in the back? There are only two brief shots shown from the back camera, so why have it, especially considering that it was an exercise in risk reduction having essential people there only. I believe this was a method of misdirection: the footage of the camera in the back was prerecorded, and they swapped between the live and recorded feeds. He even had his "Hello!" and big wave timed perfectly, but didn't it just seem odd? This allowed just enough time for the live camera to be mounted, camera shake added via software, and voila, the illusion is complete.

That said, if Chewbacca is a wookie, and he lives on Endor, that means Derren Brown DID actually predict the numbers fairly. :pac:

Edit: Just noticed this; when he says "Hello!" and waves, look at the position and framing of the front camera before and after. That cameraman moved into position very quickly, you'd swear it was planned!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

HE IS FULLA ****E. I WASN'T STUCK TO MY SEAT AT ALL TONIGHT. ITS ALL FOR VIEWERS THATS WHY HE IS DOING THIS STUFF. FAKE FAKE FAKE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

I have to say that although I didn't get stuck I did feel my arms getting heavy. I thought the show was a bit light last night and of course a lot is deception etc... but hes very entertaining.

IMC042 wrote: »
    HE IS FULLA ****E. I WASN'T STUCK TO MY SEAT AT ALL TONIGHT. ITS ALL FOR VIEWERS THATS WHY HE IS DOING THIS STUFF. FAKE FAKE FAKE!!!

It's not going to work on everyone. I for one watched it last night with 2 friends, two of us felt a slight "pull" and the other felt nothing. Maybe your skepticism of the method prevented yourself from allowing it to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

IMC042 wrote: »
    ITS ALL FOR VIEWERS THATS WHY HE IS DOING THIS STUFF.

:eek::eek::eek:

I knew that bastard was up to something!

How dare a TV magician do something for the viewers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

is it online anywhere he did say it wouldnt work online as it needs hd but theres lots of hd vids online now

MooseJam wrote: »
    is it online anywhere he did say it wouldnt work online as it needs hd but theres lots of hd vids online now

It is indeed online, but I can't post a link. Make sure you download it and get a high resolution version; streaming won't cut it I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

MooseJam wrote: »

Hd? But sure most people wouldnt have watched it on HD. Or does he just mean that on television it would be higher quality?

In anyways, I watched it online and it was fairly high quality. Didnt work. Felt like it was goin to work, everything felt a bit fuzzy but I could move. Felt like because I wanted it to work I made myself feel that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A7X wrote: »
    Hd? But sure most people wouldnt have watched it on HD. Or does he just mean that on television it would be higher quality?
    I expect it must be good enough with a high enough frame rate to show the subliminal messages, and be clear enough to make out what the subliminal messages say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

<mod snip>

<mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Folks, as per the charter, the posting of reveals is not allowed: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055258796

Oops, my bad. Must admit to not having read the charter. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

6th wrote: »
    Folks, as per the charter, the posting of reveals is not allowed: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055258796

The video I posted wasn't a reveal, it was a funny video, mocking one of the theories as to how Derren predicted the numbers, doesn't reveal anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

how the hell did he do it tho???

Advertisement