Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

It really was, best I've seen them!

Btw Tower are doing a pre-order for limited signed copies of "Only Revolutions". It's €14.99 including postage.
    Just click the banner on the front page:
    http://www.towerrecords.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

is their new album out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you read any of the thread?

it's out on the 6th november, which is this friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

obviously not if i asked the question?
    don't have time to read the thread actually..

but thanks for your helpfulness (Y) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Dont know what hardcore older biffy fans will think of it but im really liking the album.

As i already said in this thread, i think the chorus for Bubbles is phenomenal. God & Satan is a lot quieter than what biffy fans might be used to but i think its a great track. Same goes for Born On A Horse and Shock Shock.

Have to say I think Many Of Horror is a beautiful track, another slower one but very good. Probably the only track im not too fond of is the closing one Whorses, nothing particulary bad about it, it just seems a bit weak for a closing track.

Very, very decent album though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

How have you heard the full album? Has it leaked? Only a few days left until release so I'm not going near a leaked version anyway.

punk_one82 wrote: »
    How have you heard the full album? Has it leaked? Only a few days left until release so I'm not going near a leaked version anyway.

Yep it leaked today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Just listened to it in full- first impressions are that if it was anyone else, it'd be a very good record, but knowing what Biffy are capable of I'm a bit disappointed. I'd say it's an improvement on Puzzle (what wouldn't be) but still lags way behind the VofB and Infinity. Standout tracks for me are that golden rule, born on a horse and shock shock while Bubbles is certainly a catchy number.

6/10 for me

Can't believe it's taken this long to leak. Struggling to hold out for a physical copy, but I think I can get there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

that satan song is a joke...

the captain tune is ok

too many gingers in that band though! lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=8170165&ar=biffyclyro&cat=all
    can listen to full album here...also can pretty much rip every song and throw it on your ipod :pac: idiots ha

i have had the album for quite some time now. still not sure what to think of it.

it's certainly better than puzzle.

i love the bit in "shock shock" where James sings "shock shock shock shock" then the guitar absolutely rips your ear drums apart.

i know simon was influenced by the novel Only Revolutions, but by christ the imagery of the lyrics on the album are from everywhere in the book.

there are some really great lyrics on this album though, i think that's what puzzle lacked, they were way too simple.

"i swallowed truths, we fit like ice cream on an open wound" - booo0om blast and ruin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

If you're buying the album in HMV they're doing a poster with every album from Friday. If they don't offer ask :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

Decent bit of negativity here.

Personally I think the album is epic. People harp on about Infinity land, blackened sky, but NO biffy album has ever been the same, and thats what they set out to do. Keeps things fresh.

The whole album is just one giant happy journey. Epic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Agree with the above. Got it last night and I feckin love it.

Massive fan of 'The Captain' because I'd say it's a real crowd pleaser live, just like 'Mountains' which also gets an unfair bashing.

'Bubbles' is another crackin tune as well.

Only listened to it a few times but it's right up there in terms of meeting Biffy's already high standards imo.

Mountains gets a bashing because it has an awful chorus that sounds like it was written by a six year old

"i am a mountain, I am the sea. You can't take that away from me".

Coming from a band that has some absolutely stunning metaphorical lyrics this above is like cat crap in comparrison.

Haven't downloaded it, but I did give in and listened to it on their myspace. I absolutely love it. Some absolutely rocking songs on it and some amazing slower tunes too. Absolutely love God and Satan and Know Your Quarry etc. Didn't know about the poster in HMV. They didn't mention it when I asked about the deluxe version earlier. Going to head in tomorrow and get it. Can't wait to hear it in all its glory, blaring through some quality speakers at home. Mon the Biffy!

Mountains gets a bashing because it has an awful chorus that sounds like it was written by a six year old

"i am a mountain, I am the sea. You can't take that away from me".

Coming from a band that has some absolutely stunning metaphorical lyrics this above is like cat crap in comparrison.

Lets be honest, Biffy have had some pretty unmetaphorical and ridiculous lyrics all the same. Not every lyric can be an amazing work of art. I think Mountains is a great song and gets a lot of unfair stick definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I bloody love this album , listening to it since yday on myspace, and picked it up in HMV before work this morning, I cannot wait for the drive home tonight.

MON THE BIFFY

Was at their gig last night in Manchester, it was absolutely amazing! They played 11 songs off the old albums including JAGGY SNAKE! and even the puzzle stuff sounded a million times better than it does on CD. Just wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭VegetativeState

Only got four or five tracks in before turning it off. It just irritated me. Adored Blackened Sky and Vertigo of Bliss and Infinity Land is one of my favourite albums of all time. Their newer stuff has been grand but just hasn't excited me like the older songs did. I thought Puzzle was ok at first but it grew on me a little more with a few listens. Maybe this will be the same, I'll come back to it in a while. I like his vocals on this an awful lot anyway, voice sounds savage. But with the exception of That Golden Rule the songs have sounded pretty weak so far (bear in mind I'o not even half-way through the record).

And yeah, Mountains isn't as lame as a most people think it is. Took me a while to appreciate it I admit but the guitars in that tune sound bitchin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Hah, I thought the vocals were fairly weak compared to previous albums if anything. Really liking the album though, and the second half is better than the first imo. Whorses is a most exquisite tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

Thing with the new album is that its mixed much mellower than the last albums, prob to spread to a bigger audience. Still have loads of heavy guitars in there but just covered up with acoustic guitars and gay one tree hill open chords :pac:

Still is great tho. And their gigs still rock

i bought version 027/100 in tower on friday. they had 100 signed copies, i had to get 27.

i got this in the mail today.

biffy clyro OR box set.

cd/dvd version of album
    12" vinyl of album
    musical score for that golden rule/the captain
    guitar tab for that golden rule/the captain/shock shock
    1 of 500 signed storm prints (guy who done album cover)
    plectrum
    pin badges
    play along cd for that golden rule/the captain/shock shock
    a piece of the actual blue flag on the cover art.

pretty nice boxset for £40.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭VegetativeState

tailgunner wrote: »
    Hah, I thought the vocals were fairly weak compared to previous albums if anything. Really liking the album though, and the second half is better than the first imo. Whorses is a most exquisite tune.

I'll give it anoter spin in a while maybe, see if the second half makes up for it. I'm still optimistic that I'll come round to liking it but my gut is telling me that, for me at least, they're past their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I love this album so much :)

Know Your Quarry, Many of Horror and of course, Bubbles <3

Novella wrote: »
    I love this album so much :)

Know Your Quarry, Many of Horror and of course, Bubbles <3

Have to agree actually, a few posts up I gave it a 6 after a couple of early listens, but now having played it 10+ times it's really, really grown on me. A couple of subtle changes and it'd be the best record of the year, hands down- get the brass section the f*ck out of 'captain' and make it more like the old version, and get rid of mountains.

Bubbles is such a tune, can't get the riff out of my head. TGR never seems to get old, epic is the only word but born on a horse is just magic. Great lyrics!

It's no vertigo (what is?!) but a fantastic album overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My favourite song on the album at the moment is 'Born A Horse'. Such a choon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

i bought version 027/100 in tower on friday. they had 100 signed copies, i had to get 27.

i got this in the mail today.

biffy clyro OR box set.

cd/dvd version of album
    12" vinyl of album
    musical score for that golden rule/the captain
    guitar tab for that golden rule/the captain/shock shock
    1 of 500 signed storm prints (guy who done album cover)
    plectrum
    pin badges
    play along cd for that golden rule/the captain/shock shock
    a piece of the actual blue flag on the cover art.

pretty nice boxset for £40.

any those signed ones left in tower? :pac:

that box set sounds deadly! where ya get it?

• Advertisement

dunno if tower have any left haven't been there in a while.

the boxset was ordered from biffyclyro.com

Advertisement