Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Red line Connolly to The Point

Options
  • 08-09-2009 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

Was talking to one of the signalling guys yesterday on the way to the shop. He says that tram tests will start in two weeks.

The traffic lights have been put up and all the track grooves have been cleaned out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

There were safety notices in this mornings Metro and Herald AM saying just that. It's great news, I was there two weeks and it didn't look that advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Has the timetable been decided yet? Will all trams serve connolly and continue on to the point or will some trams terminate at connolly while the rest bypass connolly and terminate at the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I was up there on Friday and it looked far from finished. Excellent news if they will start tests soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

place is still a mess but it looks like they've got all the track down at this stage and the wires are now up too, so testing this month should be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

bg07 wrote: »
    Has the timetable been decided yet? Will all trams serve connolly and continue on to the point or will some trams terminate at connolly while the rest bypass connolly and terminate at the point?

Not as yet - I am sure all will be revealed in due course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

KC61 wrote: »
    Not as yet - I am sure all will be revealed in due course!

I believe the plan is to run to Connolly or to the point so every other tram terminates at the point.Timetable details not released yet though but I'd say they plan a similar frequency as now.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Track and power cables are 100%. Signalling and stations are well progressed. Lots of footpaths are still in bits and there a few large holes in the road also, mostly at the Connolly end. Difficult to say about the power substation(s).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

will they up the frequency of trams when there is a gig on in the o2???
    there would be a massive surge in passengers during gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

It be interesting to see the level of anti social behaviour down that way some ruff spots along there security will have to be on the ball

I imagine they will. the problem is after the gig (everyone leaving at the same time), not before (people coming in dribs and drabs).

• Advertisement

Looks like they're all set to go:
    RPA wrote:
    The Mpact and RPA crews have been working hard and the milestone in the track laying process has been reached. From next week onwards you will see trams appearing in the streetscape for testing of the tracks and systems. The following windows of testing have been confirmed for the next 2 weeks:

TUESDAY 150909 Trams will be running at intervals between 10 am and 4 pm – Access will be provided between Commons Street and Amiens Street and banks men will be helping cars through.

WEDNESDAY 160909 Trams will be running at intervals after 7 pm – Access to Amiens Street will be closed off – access and egress to Mayor Street Lower will be maintained from Commons St for residents and businesses

THURSDAY 170909 Trams will be running at intervals after 7pm – Access to Amiens Street will be closed off – access and egress to Mayor Street Lower will be maintained from Commons St for residents and businesses

TUESDAY 22/09/09 Trams will be running at intervals after 7pm – Access to Amiens Street will be closed off – access and egress to Mayor Street Lower will be maintained from Commons St for residents and businesses

WEDNESDAY 23/09/09 Trams will be running at intervals after 7pm – Access to Amiens Street will be closed off – access and egress to Mayor Street Lower will be maintained from Commons St for residents and businesses

FURTHER UPDATES WILL FOLLOW NEXT WEEK

FROM THE END OF SEPTEMBER 2009 THE FINAL 2 WAY TRAFFIC SCHEME WILL BE IMPLEMENTED ON MAYOR ST. LOWER & TRAMS WILL START TO RUN MORE REGULARLY .

The most important change is that the traffic will no longer exit Mayor Street Lower onto Amiens Street , Mayor St Lower will become 2 way and access to & from the area will be via Commons St. Please check the attached detailed map and description of the traffic flow on the attached document to plan your routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

just struck me.

What was called the point (theatre) is has been renamed the O2
    Is the tram stop then going to be called the Point or its current new name the O2?

(on current RPA maps its still "the Point" but they are hardly going to change it midstream and confuse the builders!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I think it's to be called "Point Square" which is the development there.

It' ll probably then have a sign saying "Point Square for the O2".

It be great when its done but there is a lot of empty appartments they prob thought would be full at this stage!!!

Originally Posted by RPA
    The Mpact and RPA crews have been working hard and the milestone in the track laying process has been reached. From next week onwards you will see trams appearing in the streetscape for testing of the tracks and systems. The following windows of testing have been confirmed for the next 2 weeks:

TUESDAY 150909 Trams will be running at intervals between 10 am and 4 pm – Access will be provided between Commons Street and Amiens Street and banks men will be helping cars through.

WEDNESDAY 160909 Trams will be running at intervals after 7 pm – Access to Amiens Street will be closed off – access and egress to Mayor Street Lower will be maintained from Commons St for residents and businesses

THURSDAY 170909 Trams will be running at intervals after 7pm – Access to Amiens Street will be closed off – access and egress to Mayor Street Lower will be maintained from Commons St for residents and businesses

TUESDAY 22/09/09 Trams will be running at intervals after 7pm – Access to Amiens Street will be closed off – access and egress to Mayor Street Lower will be maintained from Commons St for residents and businesses

WEDNESDAY 23/09/09 Trams will be running at intervals after 7pm – Access to Amiens Street will be closed off – access and egress to Mayor Street Lower will be maintained from Commons St for residents and businesses

FURTHER UPDATES WILL FOLLOW NEXT WEEK

FROM THE END OF SEPTEMBER 2009 THE FINAL 2 WAY TRAFFIC SCHEME WILL BE IMPLEMENTED ON MAYOR ST. LOWER & TRAMS WILL START TO RUN MORE REGULARLY .

The most important change is that the traffic will no longer exit Mayor Street Lower onto Amiens Street , Mayor St Lower will become 2 way and access to & from the area will be via Commons St. Please check the attached detailed map and description of the traffic flow on the attached document to plan your routes.

what exactly do they mean by that? will trams still be running? I have to go from Heuston to Connolly on Wedensday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

they mean trams are travelling for the first time on the NEW section being built in the docklands.

elsewhere trams are as per normal on weekdays.

they mean trams are travelling for the first time on the NEW section being built in the docklands.

thank you:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

Exactly they have to check the tolerance of the rail head and power draws etc., so it will (or should ) not affect mainline running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

Does that mean those trams will be in revenue-earning service ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭trellheim

Followup :

The traffic management plan can be found at

http://www.rpa.ie/PublishingImages/Luas%20Line%20C1/C1%20Construction%20Update%20No%2024/C1%20Traffic%20Flow_Pedestrian%20Route%200809V2.jpg

Well done to anyone who can find Docklands Railway station on that map

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    Does that mean those trams will be in revenue-earning service ?

Clearly not, we have't had the most important part yet - the politicians big day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Track test running will take a couple of months to complete with the service expected to commence in early December.

Right in time for the christmas rush!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

trellheim wrote: »
    Followup :

The traffic management plan can be found at

http://www.rpa.ie/PublishingImages/Luas%20Line%20C1/C1%20Construction%20Update%20No%2024/C1%20Traffic%20Flow_Pedestrian%20Route%200809V2.jpg

Well done to anyone who can find Docklands Railway station on that map

This is typical of the RPA who just don't have the vision to put other rail transport on their maps so passengers can see the benefits of the LUAS and where it integrates with other rail lines. The PDF doesn't even show the DART line!

just struck me.

What was called the point (theatre) is has been renamed the O2
    Is the tram stop then going to be called the Point or its current new name the O2?

(on current RPA maps its still "the Point" but they are hardly going to change it midstream and confuse the builders!!)
    "The Point" is a place (intersection of North Wall Quay and East Wall Road). The "Point Depot" is the historical name of the building. The stop is being called "The Point".

The other stops are being called "George's Dock", "Mayor Square / NCI" (a change) and "Spencer Dock".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

BrianD wrote: »
    This is typical of the RPA who just don't have the vision to put other rail transport on their maps so passengers can see the benefits of the LUAS and where it integrates with other rail lines. The PDF doesn't even show the DART line!

Well, I think this map has a specific purpose to show the traffic movements around the area and the less clutter the better.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Well, I think this map has a specific purpose to show the traffic movements around the area and the less clutter the better.

Well I think you have to look at the complete picture and the DART was an odd ommission.

In any case, I was down there today and the line is now complete from end to end. There is still some paving work to be done and the CHQ station is missing a platform. The walled off section at Spencer Dock is still closed to pedestrians but the hoarding now replaced with temporary fencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

amazing what can be done in 2 days. On leaving work in the IFSC on Friday evening, I thought there was no way they could have trams testing the route this week as there was so much construction equipment, mounds of gravel, cement, incomplete sections, barricades etc and then lo and behold this morning walking in to the IFSC, the entire track from Connolly to Spencer Dock is complete and obstruction free.

I haven't seen such a clear vista of the main street of IFSC since early 2007 at least- have to say it all looks very impressive what with the fresh cobbles/tarmacadam, road lines/mappings and traffic lights (not yet in operation). Apart from the few outstanding works advised in the post above which I'm sure will be completed soon, I can see no reason why RPA won't meet their Dec deadine to have regular passenger services.

I was in shock to they have really gone at it over the weekend place looks a lot better!! Just have to remember to watch out for the trams now!!

• Advertisement

It's quite a transformation all right. Just paving needs to be done on some sections and I think one platform at CHQ.

Advertisement