Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

josip wrote: »
    The levels of empathy sometimes border on the ridiculous.
    Our guy wouldn't eat his tomato over the weekend, just because I'd stabbed it with the knife and left it sticking in it.
    I then compounded my mistake by saying he didn't have to eat it, he could eat one of its brothers or sisters in the pack instead.

I came down this morning to my wife trying to cajole him into eating a tomato by swearing to him that none of the tomatoes in the new pack were related.

This was me as a child and my six year old daughter is the same. We have a love for giving inanimate objects feelings and emotions. The same with animals, she pretends they talk by reading their emotions and telling us what they're saying. We rescued a dying cat last year and now she wants to be a vet so she can look after more sick animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I was giving my 6 year old a euro for the shop.He wanted 2 euro and i said no.He then said he would give me back the 2 euro out of the tenner he was getting off his da.

Then he called me up the other night,looking for a drink.Then as i was leaving,he said dont forget to tell da to leave teh tenner on the table for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭scarepanda

My almost 14 month old fed herself her breakfast with a spoon this morning (and as a bonus made very little mess)!
    She had a little strop while looking to hold the spoon when I tried feeding her.

Only a small thing, but it made me smile and I'm very proud of her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

scarepanda wrote: »
    My almost 14 month old fed herself her breakfast with a spoon this morning (and as a bonus made very little mess)!
    She had a little strop while looking to hold the spoon when I tried feeding her.

Only a small thing, but it made me smile and I'm very proud of her!
    Give her an extra spoon , then she won't make a fuss! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Give her an extra spoon , then she won't make a fuss! 😊

We've been doing that lately alright, but she usually loads it up and then drops it down to the dogs! The three of them are in cahoots with each other ;-)!!

But this morning she finished the bowl on her own, didn't topple it, didn't stick her fingers into it to bad and didn't try feed the dogs. I consider that a success so I'm happy enough. It was nice being able to eat my breakfast at the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

scarepanda wrote: »
    We've been doing that lately alright, but she usually loads it up and then drops it down to the dogs! The three of them are in cahoots with each other ;-)!!

But this morning she finished the bowl on her own, didn't topple it, didn't stick her fingers into it to bad and didn't try feed the dogs. I consider that a success so I'm happy enough. It was nice being able to eat my breakfast at the same time!

Proudly watched my 18 month old doing a great job with her breakfast this morning too :-) She's demanded the spoon since was just 1, and she's really getting the hang of it now, it's lovely to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Not my child, but we were at a family wedding recently and I was sat beside the the bride's teenaged nieces, who had been permitted to have one small glass of wine each with dinner. One of them at one stage said something that came out harsher than meant and I laughed, call her a "mean drunk".

The brides 5 year old nephew (sat the other side of this girl) piped up in a clear, ringing voice "You're a MEAN DRUNK!!" loud enough that everyone in the vicinity turned to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭deisemum

Proud mammy moment, my younger son got an outstanding student award at a ceremony in college this afternoon, he's on the Dean's list. He's in the top 5% in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

The whiteboard in my classroom hasn't been working the last few days. This morning I was about to turn it on so I said "okay everyone cross your fingers and toes it works!" Next thing all I saw were 18 little people bending over trying to cross their toes!! They're so literal. It made my morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Saysay19

My son had his 4th birthday party today. This evening he was very tired and having a whinge. My partner was bringing him up to Bed but ran out to kitchen to get something while I got my nightly hug and kiss. Son was walking out of sitting room but did a u-turn back to me for another hug. When I asked what was that for he told me for the best party and he really had a great time! 😊 it was special as he wasn’t prompted by his dad.

When his dad came back down he said our son thanked him also for his brilliant party and for the best present that we gave him this morning ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

My neighbour's 4-year-old grandson is a gas little character. The other day I walked over to their gate to pet their dog who had seen me and was whining, pleading for a cuddle. All of a sudden, a hoarse child's voice at full volume comes through the intercom "HIIIIIII NEW HOOOME!!! I SAW YOU THROUGH THE SECURITY CAMERA AND I WANTED TO SAY HELLLLLOOOOOOOO!!! BUT I'M TRAPPED HERE AND I CAN'T COME OOOOOOOUT!!!" I was already grinning from ear to ear, so I said to him "Hello, you little rascal! I came over to pet Jack. Are you in prison?" Cue a maniacal, hoarse laugh at full volume, and his long suffering granny's voice in the background apologising to me "Hi NH, he's figured out how to use the intercom, now..." Less than a second later, at a volume that was close to that of a jet engine, the child shouts through the intercom, "I'M DOING A POOOOOOOOOO!". :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Was in B & Q the other day and a pretty lady was walking past and my 3 year old son pulled up his t-shirt and said 'Hey Baby' to her.....I could do nothing but laugh, even as my husband turned around and pretended not to know us!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭JimboJones99

Upon sending a flock of pigeons scattering, my 5 year old daughter informed me "Dad, do you know that I am able to speak animal"

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sibling rivalry clearly starts in utero. Had my 18 month old son in my lap earlier, which seemed to set baby off kicking, my son felt it and said "uh oh" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭JimboJones99

A few weeks ago whilst out for a drive with my wife and 2 kids, my 5 year old daughter was very inquisitive about marriage so after explaining how marriage works in the simplest way as possible the conversation took a turn:

Daughter: "Okay, so I am going to marry my younger brother when I'm older"

Me: "No, you can't marry your brother or anyone else in your family"

Daughter: "What? Why not?"

Me: "I'll leave Mammy answer that one"

Wife: "Ehhh, you just cant"

Daughter: Loud, anguished howl followed by "Thats not fair, I'll never find a husband so"

Me & Wife: Laughing, "Why do you say that?"

Daughter: "Because you wont let me talk to any strangers"

Followed by lengthy discussion about talking to strangers

I'm going to have my hands full with this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

3.5yr old wrapped himself up.in my scarf yesterday so I decided to show him how to be a mummy. Arms straight out and groaning walking slowly Etc. Baby is 15mths andstarts following us round the kitchen! Arms out groaning I was inn stitches! He's a riot! So smart.
    Got a few funny looks from the neighbours when he started randomly doing it on the street tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oh man, my three year old is such a fashion bee. It is war every morning getting her dressed, she changes her clothes 5 times a day.
    Putting her to bed last night, she says, "Mammy, can you get me a suit please. I have no suits."
    So I have to ask, "What does a suit look like". 
    "It has a skirt to my knee, and a t-shirt, with long sleeves so I don't get cold, and a jacket with pointy shoulders".
    Me: "So... you want a power suit from the 80s?".
    "Yes please." Little pause while she thinks. "But mammy, what is the 80's"

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

pwurple wrote: »
    Oh man, my three year old is such a fashion bee. It is war every morning getting her dressed, she changes her clothes 5 times a day.
    Putting her to bed last night, she says, "Mammy, can you get me a suit please. I have no suits."
    So I have to ask, "What does a suit look like".
    "It has a skirt to my knee, and a t-shirt, with long sleeves so I don't get cold, and a jacket with pointy shoulders".
    Me: "So... you want a power suit from the 80s?".
    "Yes please." Little pause while she thinks. "But mammy, what is the 80's"

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

My 2 year old said I love mammy the best.

Burst!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Saysay19

I was lying beside my 4 year old son in his bed tonight and we we were talking about next week and what he will be doing with his grandparents (silly mammy forgot to book time off work!)

He was telling me he wished i didn't have to work and I said sure I have to so i can buy you nice things and treats. He got out of his bed, and took his moneybox off the shelf and gave it to me. "you can have that mammy and buy yourself nice things like perfume" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

My 4 year old just loves learning and is way more intelligent than me already!

She told me today that she's learning about Antarctica. I asked her if she's learning about Antarctica at Montessori. No, she told me that she is just learning about it herself.

A self taught smarty pants :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The two of them have taken an interest in the weather on the news since the storm a few weeks ago. Wanted a book about storms from the library, asking people all about the biggest storms they remember, etc.

I discovered this evening at bedtime that the 6 year old has renamed her teddy bear “Hurricane Harvey” and the 3 year old has called her doll “Storm Ophelia”. It finally explains the windswept disheveled hairdos on them anyway. :D

Small children are such megalomaniacs.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Our dog is 7 tomorrow. Half pint said he wanted to make her a card. Happy birthday Mollie, love Harry. Then I see a pic of the dog on grass.

What's all those brown things, I ask.

That's her poo.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Again..after singing happy birthday, and I heading out the door with the dog to work, 4yo asks if I'm dropping Mollie to her party. She's not having a party. But she is going on a play date with her old trainer on Friday. Can I go too, she asks!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

My 3 y o locked himself in the bathroom yesterday. He was unperturbed as I tried to figure out how to get him out.

He said “just get your drill Mammy”. Thank goodness for Fireman Sam as he was not worried at all just waited for me to rescue him.

After a while he said “Mammy do you need to reverse the polarity?” (Cars 2 fans may get this 😂)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,711 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I was told today that while waiting to cross the road on the way to school, the little fella started waving at a car (which was waiting to turn) and rolling his eyes saying "come on already"

I of course have NO idea where he got that from..... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

As usual, when we sat down to our dinner, I said "Bon appetit". The 20 month old replied "bah tititi"!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

My son was 4 at the weekend and one of his presents was a fire station that had a phone inside. He turned to me and asked "why does the phone have a cable?" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Got talking to my 2.5 year old little girl & the subject of the differences between boys & girls came up.
    I said boys have willies & girls don't, to which she looked at me confused & said 'yes they do', I said 'no only boys have willies', so she hops down off the couch & says 'I'll show you' & walks out to the hall & comes back in carrying her wellies 'see', she says 'I'm a girl & I have wellies'.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

My 4yr old who has some difficulties one of which is low muscle tone started pedalling his sister's trike yesterday. Sounds minor but this was a huge hurdle for him physically and mentally. He is so chuffed with himself that I burst into tears of joy for him. He's slowly coming up behind all his peers :)

Advertisement