Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Two year old boy, and to the disdain of his Mammy, joined Daddy shaking that booty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Lisha wrote: »
    Haha my 7year old refuses to look until we call the windmills by their correct name 'wind turbines' too. You wouldn't know to laugh or cry!!

My 5 year old has started correcting my French, it's depressing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

xzanti wrote: »
    Driving out to the beach with my six year old and I said "hey look at the windmills".

"They're wind turbines Mammy, the conduct electricity"

That's me told.

My 4 year old calls they "winter blinds" took me a while to realise she meant wind turbines and just cannot pronounce it

Asked me to play my guitar for her so she could dance - and proceeded to dance around the kitchen for 15+ minutes while I strummed a few tunes for her. :D

A small thing, but until recently, any time I picked it up, I was firmly told to put it back on its stand. Has become a little more receptive since I got a ukelele for her to mess around on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

S wanted to look at the website for his new toy obsession Rip-Spin Warriors. So he went to my laptop, worked out the sound and typed R into the address bar which immediately created a drop down menu. He's used to most things he looks for online being the first option in the drop down menu once he enters the first letter, so he hopefully said "Does this spell Rip-Spin Warriors" and clicked on it. The RTE News page appeared on the screen, there was two seconds of silence and I then heard "OH NO!!! THAT SPELLS NEWS?!?!"

The mixture of outrage, contempt and disappointment that he managed to get get into those 5 words was so funny that I had to leave the room as I was laughing so hard.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Turned around in the middle of a restaurant and asked (loudly) "Mammy, what's a turd?" :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"It's not number one or number two, and it's pronounced third" :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

On the way out to Nan's this morning, half pint pulled out a loose tooth. He said he didn't enjoy his breakfast yesterday, so wanted it gone. Fair enough, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

My 2 year old and 4 year old played together for half an hour without fighting or calling my name.....new record!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Didn't think I'd be back so soon.

Drove to the village in Kildare town this morning. The whiff from the meat processing factory was lingering over the n7.

Just as I got the whiff, a pair of voices from the back of the car go, Ah daddy, you're rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The 12 year old asked today: Do they credit the person who writes the credits at the end of a program?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Missy had her 4th birthday last week and seemed to turn into a cheeky wee monkey overnight. Nothing I said could be right...

That tree is very tall... No it's not.
    Those socks match your dress... No they don't.
    It's time to go in the car... No it's not.

I decided to play her at her own game so today we were out walking and she told me that the tide was coming in. I told her that it wasn't. She turned around to me and said 'don't contradict me'!

It's going to be a long road to adulthood :D

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

We were out lawnbowling at the weekend - (not as sad as it sounds, it is "cool" here) and my kids started playing with some other kids - my middle son who is 8 introduced his brother, who is 9 to his new friends as "my brother from another mother" he has no idea what it even means.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Missy had her 4th birthday last week and seemed to turn into a cheeky wee monkey overnight. Nothing I said could be right...

That tree is very tall... No it's not.
    Those socks match your dress... No they don't.
    It's time to go in the car... No it's not.

I decided to play her at her own game so today we were out walking and she told me that the tide was coming in. I told her that it wasn't. She turned around to me and said 'don't contradict me'!

It's going to be a long road to adulthood :D

Mine as just turned 4 too and is the exact same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

daughter got her leaving cert results this morning - we're all smiling here. its been a very long 2 years with some terrible self imposed pressure on herself. CAO results don't come out until Monday but she should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

daughter got her leaving cert results this morning - we're all smiling here. its been a very long 2 years with some terrible self imposed pressure on herself. CAO results don't come out until Monday but she should be ok.

Congratulations!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

A friend's child who is 11 is after winning a gold medal in their speech and drama exam. It's a big deal from them as the child didn't speak until they were three.

#NeverGiveUp

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

He lost his first tooth this morning :D he's over the moon.

First ever visit from the Tooth Fairy.

He is however, already trying to negotiate the rules of tooth retrieval. I think he wants to hold onto the tooth and still get paid :o we'll have to have a sit down today :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Waking my daughter up today reminding her that it's her first day back at school.
    She responded by saying 'So does that mean Christmas is coming soon?'

I like how her mind works

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭josip

(Mammy had some eczema lately)
    [7yo] "Will you have to hospital?
    [Mammy] No
    [7yo] "But daddy had to go to hospital when he had romania" (pneumonia)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

A friend's child who is 11 is after winning a gold medal in their speech and drama exam. It's a big deal from them as the child didn't speak until they were three.

#NeverGiveUp

My now 4.5yr old didn't speak until he was nearly 3 and it's been, and still is, a long slow road to catch up with his peers. Having said that, his imagination has gotten much better and he intrepets everyday things into something fabulous....today a baby carrot sticking up out of his mash is just like an elephants trunk drinking some water :) I think if his confidence allowed it he'd do great in drama. I used to feel so sad at the delay, now I just feel so lucky to hear that little voice every day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

On the same theme, my little fella hasn't seen his cousin since last year. Last year, when the cousin was four, he had big problems with his hearing (only 40% hearing) and speech. It was quite difficult to understand what he said. He had grommets put in last Autumn. We met him last week and the difference is like night and day! He can hear everything and his speech is so much better. Really made me smile.
    (Didn't make a difference either way for my little lad, the two of them always got on like a house on fire, kids are great!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

#NeverGiveUp

Ye my son has select mutism.Its getting much better with a lot of help from the school.

Hes nearly 8 and didnt speak at all for the 2 hears in playschool.And didnt talk for 2 years of school.

Hes just gone into second and before the holidays,he got student of the year for his class.I was every so proud.

Its a hard slog but with the right help it can be done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

All weeks he's been asking me if it's Halloween yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Empathy for the mouse I showed her in a trap this morning. "Poor mouse", says she. "Won't be going home?"

She points to the other two empty traps, and asks "Those traps for his Mammy and Daddy?"

They sure are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭josip

The levels of empathy sometimes border on the ridiculous.
    Our guy wouldn't eat his tomato over the weekend, just because I'd stabbed it with the knife and left it sticking in it.
    I then compounded my mistake by saying he didn't have to eat it, he could eat one of its brothers or sisters in the pack instead.

I came down this morning to my wife trying to cajole him into eating a tomato by swearing to him that none of the tomatoes in the new pack were related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Made me smile to see this, not what I expected to see in the thread but it is well within the title. What next though, I smiled because my child got their pension. If so noirin o sullivan mother would be smiling after insisting her daughter got a good pensionable job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I have two 11 year olds, a 6yo and a 2yo. They all do things to amuse me. But the 6yo is especially inquisitive and asks very smart questions. We were reading a book about space last night, it was talking about when the sun would die (in billions of years), and he said "Well, we'll all be bones by then!"

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

My husband was telling my 4 yo son that he is wrecked tired from working so much over the last week or so. 4 yo son replies with "Well dad Life is not always full of fairy tales and cupcakes you know" I think 4 yo is watching too much Trolls :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I have a very confident and sociable six year old daughter. Chats to staff in shops about what she did in school today. However, she started swimming lessons yesterday and this is an area she isn't confident in, and I've never seen her so vulnerable. She instantly went back to being my tiny newborn baby that I wanted to protect. After reassuring her she would be fine, she found a friend to walk to the pool with, whilst I sat in the stands. Every time she did something right in her lesson she looked over to me in the stands and shouted 'I did it!' - she was so proud of herself, it was so wonderful to see.

Advertisement