Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE axe "The Bill"

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Ed_

Elmo wrote: »
    We are talking about the 5:30 programmes on RTÉ which I have watch and still view pretty much as a Soap Opera. Again The Bill isn't Prime Suspect or Cracker., but then Casualty isn't really ER and ever ER over ran for about 5 years. I don't really know why I should return to a show that died about 10 years ago. I will take a look on Thursday but I have seen clips and haven't been to impressed.

It is not all about your preferences though. I am sure that there is programmes that you enjoy that a lot of people wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Ed_ wrote: »
    It is not all about your preferences though. I am sure that there is programmes that you enjoy that a lot of people wouldn't.

I am sure their are but I can guarantee you that very few last for any more than 5 years and at their height they are very popular.

Also The Bill isn't shown on STV in Scotland (The ITV Franchise) so that could effect audience figures for the show.

All I am suggesting is that no show should continue for 20 years, it does effect new drama, new ideas and new/old audiences. You need to change with the times and that is the problem with the Bill no matter how much you revamp the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Oh dear. More bad mouthing of The Bill. For shame Elmo, for shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Someone with a username like Elmo would be the last person I'd expect to give out about a show running longer than 10 years :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Digiguide have it listed for Monday 28th September from 7-8pm on RTÉ 2.

• Advertisement

Gadgie wrote: »

I was expecting them to just push it to 7pm Monday - Friday on RTÉ Two.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

+1 it is listed there, missed it in the evening, missed the first 5 mins since the RTé irish news move to after the bill. Have been watching it on Watch (SKY channel 109) since last week. Anybody know were they are. Thanks

As far as I know the episodes on Watch are from early 2008.
    Alibi are also showing The Bill, those episodes are from early 2001.

The RTÉ 1 transmissions stopped on episodes from mid-2005. The listings for RTÉ 2 give no indication if they'll be picking up where RTÉ 1 left off, or showing older or newer episodes.

Note that Digiguide now list an RTÉ 2 episode a week earlier on 21st September at 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Once a week now? Feck sake. One good show and RTÉ as good as pull it - why can't they pull those pointless, cheesy and pure shíte aussie soaps instead?

sdonn wrote: »
    Once a week now? Feck sake. One good show and RTÉ as good as pull it - why can't they pull those pointless, cheesy and pure shíte aussie soaps instead?

This means that they have cut it down to 2 episodes as it will be an hour long.

I demand that they axe all soap, and I include the Bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

As far as I know the episodes on Watch are from early 2008.
    Alibi are also showing The Bill, those episodes are from early 2001.

The RTÉ 1 transmissions stopped on episodes from mid-2005. The listings for RTÉ 2 give no indication if they'll be picking up where RTÉ 1 left off, or showing older or newer episodes.

Note that Digiguide now list an RTÉ 2 episode a week earlier on 21st September at 7pm.
    Thanks Gadgie ..

They are continuing on from where the RTÉ 1 episodes stopped. Tonight's episode was #326 (original UK TX date 13 July 2005).

I think the pacing of these episodes will be off, as at the time the show was airing twice a week, and RTÉ are only showing it once a week. Some storylines are going to drag on forever!

They are continuing on from where the RTÉ 1 episodes stopped. Tonight's episode was #326 (original UK TX date 13 July 2005).

I think the pacing of these episodes will be off, as at the time the show was airing twice a week, and RTÉ are only showing it once a week. Some storylines are going to drag on forever!

They were never going to catch up with their 2.5 episodes.

They were never going to catch up with their 2.5 episodes.

Well technically they would have, as ITV now air the show only once per week. Anyway, I was not expecting them to, what I meant was that the storylines for those episodes were paced to run at two episodes per week, meaning long-running storylines would take twice as long to air on RTE. For example, there is a storyline coming up in these episodes involving a missing girl that originally ran for a year - on RTE this will now take two years to be resolved!

Anyway I came to resurrect this thread to inform viewers that The Bill is on the move again - back to RTE 1 in a Wednesday night/Thursday morning graveyard slot from Thursday 12 March at 00:45. Final RTE 2 episode airs on Monday 1 March at 19:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I watched this show many years ago on Itv when it was the half hour show but then didn't watch for years after that. Then When I became unemployed in 2008 I came across it one morning on tv and watched one episode, and I was hooked ever since. I cant get enough of it, any station it was on I just had to look at it (except RTE).I now look forward to it every Thursday at 9. I was worried about the new format when it started, but I needn't have. Great show and long may it last.

jimmyw wrote: »
    Great show and long may it last.

May it move over for some new talent. 25 years for any show is far too long. Imagine, being nostalgic about the Bill in the same way as we are for Hill Street Blues. Not that you could ever describe The Bill in relation to Hill Street Blues.

Anyway I came to resurrect this thread to inform viewers that The Bill is on the move again - back to RTE 1 in a Wednesday night/Thursday morning graveyard slot from Thursday 12 March at 00:45. Final RTE 2 episode airs on Monday 1 March at 19:00.

Homicide is also showing at that time you should take a look at it. Excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

25 years for any show is far too long.

You're funny. Imagine what ITV would replace it with. Britains Funniest Doormats or other such rubbish.

If so many people enjoy it then why can you not accept that.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    You're funny. Imagine what ITV would replace it with. Britains Funniest Doormats or other such rubbish.

If so many people enjoy it then why can you not accept that.

It isn't that I can't accept that people like it, just in the same way as I have no problem people liking with Britain's Funniest Doormats etc

I am just saying that shows shouldn't last as long as they do. For example I watched The Bill in the early 1990s when it was relatively new, but it is the same old same old. Time for something new and perhaps different not as contrived or not as branded. Unfortunately no matter what the Producers do with the Bill its brand at this stage is old and damaged. Time for them to move on.

The Bill had its day 20 years ago let it die, why hold on? change is good?

Because millions of people around the world still watch and enjoy it.

I don't see why you continue to comment on something that you don't like.

• Advertisement

Because millions of people around the world still watch and enjoy it.

I don't see why you continue to comment on something that you don't like.

As I said The Bill has been losing viewers for a very long time if ITV were in the US they would have canceled it along time ago.

I don't see the point of discussion boards when you can't have an opinion? :rolleyes: I am after all replying to your comment.

It isn't that I can't accept that people like it, just in the same way as I have no problem people liking with Britain's Funniest Doormats etc

I am just saying that shows shouldn't last as long as they do. For example I watched The Bill in the early 1990s when it was relatively new, but it is the same old same old. Time for something new and perhaps different not as contrived or not as branded. Unfortunately no matter what the Producers do with the Bill its brand at this stage is old and damaged. Time for them to move on.

Well you obviously didnt see it since the 90s, because its not the same it has changed in recent times. I bet if I named out some programmes that are still going a long time and I said that they should take them off, I would be slated aswell. The point is all programmes have a following and it must be up in the ratings since ITV have it still it on. Just because you dont like it, thats not a reason to take it off. As for us tv, not a fan of alot of the stuff that comes from there, but there are alot of people who do and thats fine.

Going to settle down and watch one of my favorite programmes, "The Bill":) now.

As I said The Bill has been losing viewers for a very long time if ITV were in the US they would have canceled it along time ago.

All shows have shed viewers over the past number of years, due to changing TV viewing habits and the advent of the multichannel age. The Bill has lost more than some, mostly due to ITV continually changing the format in order to capture different types of viewers. If anything, we should be thankful that ITV are not like the US networks, who cancel shows at the first sign of trouble.
    I don't see the point of discussion boards when you can't have an opinion? :rolleyes: I am after all replying to your comment.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but you're not discussing anything, just repeatedly posting the same comments stating that you don't like the show and that you think it should be axed. Do you have anything new you wish to add?

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but you're not discussing anything, just repeatedly posting the same comments stating that you don't like the show and that you think it should be axed. Do you have anything new you wish to add?

Yes actually I do :D
    Well you obviously didnt see it since the 90s, because its not the same it has changed in recent times.

As I said before due to the nature of a brand when you destroy a brand it is very difficult to build back a loyal audience. ITV with all of its soaps are taking the easy way out by not thinking about newer long running shows that might change the face of TV Drama.
    If anything, we should be thankful that ITV are not like the US networks, who cancel shows at the first sign of trouble.

I don't think this is true. ITV continue to push the same programmes because it is unwilling to take a risk on new programming. In the US they take the risk if it doesn't work it is cancel and they try again and if that does work they try again and they will end up having a certain number of shows that last for 10 to 15 years, imagine if ER or NYPD Blue were still on the air. I think they are great shows but after a certain number of years they become old and it is time to change.

The discussion is about RTÉ axing "The Bill" and tbh I don't think they should buy the show at all. :rolleyes:

Advertisement