Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE axe "The Bill"

Options
  • 07-09-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Damnit. I used to be on every weekday from anywhere between 17:10ish to 17:35ish

I think it was on season 19 not sure of the episode.

I looked forward to watching this everyday and it has been taken over by The Afternoon Show!!!!

ARRRGH!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

The ITV company that make it have changed it to an after the watershed show, new content would not be suitable for 17:10 timeslot, not good enough show for primetime slot on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

elshambo wrote: »
    The ITV company that make it have changed it to an after the watershed show, new content would not be suitable for 17:10 timeslot, not good enough show for primetime slot on RTE

The post watershed thing has only happened in the last month, and RTE are years behind so that cannot be the reason. I thought stations bought cheap imports rather than making their own programming when times were tough, but obviously not RTE! (Or else there will be double Murder She Wrote before the Sheana and Síle show starts).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

woah woah woah....The Bill is still on tv?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

You're nicked!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jojo2

was just wondering where it went, was hoping it was coming back! will not be tuning into those afternoon show eejits anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

Always got home just in time for The Bill:mad: Gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

So was I! I always watched it while making my dinner. Damn RTE :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

My mum rang Rte and complained. No afternoon show fan she.

She is a fan of bobbies and guv'nors and seeing wrong'uns getting nicked while having her tea.

Apparently she's not the only one, and she got a call back this afternoon from some bod in the programming dept to say that it's being rescheduled and wont be off the screens for long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

krudler wrote: »
    woah woah woah....The Bill is still on tv?!

Of course it is - it's the graveyard where all soapstars go to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Ed_

I never liked how it was hour long episodes shown over two days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Do people still watch The Bill?

See they're bringing out a computer game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭suimhneas

stupid bloody rte they can show us bloody jessica fletcher for years on end and think its good enough.

I loved the bill need my smith fix. That afternoon show is a disgrace, watched bis of it last night since THE BILL was't on. Its so brain numbing, stupid swine flu experiment that didnt work, stupid anti persperant (sp)experiment that was "cringe" to watch, and sweet jasus the presenter were wooful, bad an all is shilea is and believe me not a fan of the female version of podge but sweet mother of god the other one should never be on a tv screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Bill should be axed it is ****. I don't understand the obsession on boards with this show. It is 20 years old, ITV would do well to axe it and come up with some thing new.

You can watch new The Bill on UTV on Thursday Nights at 9pm.

I am surprised they didn't move back The Afternoon show!

suimhneas wrote: »
    stupid bloody rte they can show us bloody jessica fletcher for years on end and think its good enough.

Poor Jessica Fletcher, but you are right I think the Bill is better. But not by much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

Got this reply to an email I sent the other day.......

Dear XXXX

Thank you for your e.mail and your interest in our programmes. Our Scheduling department has informed us that 'The Bill' is likely to move to a once a week hour long slot post 6.00pm but that’s still not confirmed so I cannot give you precise details. I'm forwarding your comments to our Deputy Head of Schedule Planning for attention.

With every good wish.

XXXXXXXXXX

RTÉ Information.

Dear XXXX

Thank you for your e.mail and your interest in our programmes. Our Scheduling department has informed us that 'The Bill' is likely to move to a once a week hour long slot post 6.00pm but that’s still not confirmed so I cannot give you precise details. I'm forwarding your comments to our Deputy Head of Schedule Planning for attention.

With every good wish.

XXXXXXXXXX

RTÉ Information.

Could we change the title of this tread to Daytime soap moves to Prime-Time :( Guessing RTÉ TWO on Thursday nights at 9. :mad:

Elmo wrote: »
    The Bill should be axed it is ****. I don't understand the obsession on boards with this show. It is 20 years old, ITV would do well to axe it and come up with some thing new.

I do not understand this attitude. If you do not like something then do not watch it. Leave those who enjoy it watch it.
    Perhaps I should call for all programmes I do not watch to be cancelled.

Dear XXXX

With every good wish.

XXXXXXXXXX

RTÉ Information.

This certainly makes sense.

Ed_ wrote: »
    I do not understand this attitude. If you do not like something then do not watch it. Leave those who enjoy it watch it.
    Perhaps I should call for all programmes I do not watch to be cancelled.

I don't do this to most shows, fair is fair if people want to watch. However I do take issue with shows that last beyond ten years, so my issue is not just with the Bill. It was fine 20 years ago, but now it is just painting by number like so many other Engish TV shows, Coro St, Emmerdale, EastEnders, Casulty, Holby City, Heartbeat etc etc this list is endless.

I have more respect for English TV drama that this load of ****. I don't think many would miss The Bill if it was really axed, it would soon be replaced by some other TV show that might be even better.

I am allowed to make that statement.

And lets face it The Bill can repeat just as much as Murder She Wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Cheerio. Load of absolute tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I have to say I always enjoy it. It is a cheesy soap opera, but it has loads of action. Better than most daytime telly imo, I used to watch it on Sunday evening from the recorded episodes, as Sunday evening telly is so sh1t.

Hopefully they will reschedule it.

• Advertisement

I don't do this to most shows, fair is fair if people want to watch. However I do take issue with shows that last beyond ten years

How long a television show is on air should make no difference. Again I say if you do not like it then do not watch it. It's really easy.

How long a television show is on air should make no difference. Again I say if you do not like it then do not watch it. It's really easy.

You know every now and then there are threads for popular shows for the 1980s can't imagine that the Bill gets people nostalgic.

The show is running far too long and it isn't that good and ITV have being losing viewers left right and center because they have chosen to take the easy route. It still brings in viewers but not like it used to, lets do something imaginative and new. Again I am talking about a range of TV show not just on ITV but also on RTÉ (Fair City) and the BBC (EastEnders).

It still brings in viewers but not like it used to, lets do something imaginative and new.

There is new shows starting all of the time. Why not leave the shows that some people enjoy alone.

There is new shows starting all of the time. Why not leave the shows that some people enjoy alone.

Because
    1. it can distract audiences from other better shows.
    2. the older shows run the risk of being on the air far past their sell by date and the image of ITV drama is that of Soap Opera rather than Prime Suspect and Cracker.
    3. that these soap opera take up so much of the space other newer programming (in particular drama) fails to get a look in, and money remains with in the cheaper programmes again preventing quality drama through.

Remember Prime Suspect and Cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I have to say I always enjoy it. It is a cheesy soap opera, but it has loads of action. Better than most daytime telly imo, I used to watch it on Sunday evening from the recorded episodes, as Sunday evening telly is so sh1t.

It hasn't been a 'soap opera' in about 2 years (on ITV anyway, not sure where RTE are). It went through a dreadful couple of years of ridiculous love quadrangles etc when Paul 'Brookside' Marquess was the executive producer.

But the current producer has moved away from all that, back to a 'gritty' downbeat style more in keeping with the 1980s show for anyone old enough to recall it. It concentrates on policing as well, I'd struggle to recall the last 'soap' story.

Conversely it's also recently got a more modern look, filmed in HD and using some adventurous storytelling techniques over the last year.....some episodes told via flashback, one episode shown out of sequence Pulp Fiction style, and one 2 part episode that told the same story twice but from a different officers viewpoint/different camera angles so that loads of assumptions we'd made in the first part were seen to be wrong.

It still has it flaws (uniform much weaker than CID) but I'd recommend anyone who gave up years ago when it turned into a soap to give it another try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I havent watched it years. Used to love DI Burnside and miss the old lines:

Your going daaahhn.

Sarge, ee's got previous.

IC1 male seen running across the Jasmin allen. Ok Polly, on way.

It hasn't been a 'soap opera' in about 2 years (on ITV anyway, not sure where RTE are). It went through a dreadful couple of years of ridiculous love quadrangles etc when Paul 'Brookside' Marquess was the executive producer.

But the current producer has moved away from all that, back to a 'gritty' downbeat style more in keeping with the 1980s show for anyone old enough to recall it. It concentrates on policing as well, I'd struggle to recall the last 'soap' story.

They about 2003 era at the moment. You see already proving my point that ITV are just a soap opera TV service which puts you off watching any of their dramas. I think the Bill would have been better of rebranding and moving out of sunhill to avoid the comparisons that audiences have with the show. What harm in having a new gritty drama.

I don't think it was ever all that gritty in the 1980s, enjoyable back then but I was very young and enjoyed Murder She Wrote as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I don't think it was ever all that gritty in the 1980s
    The first couple of series are surprisingly meaty, for example a lot of bad langauge and some full frontal nudity so I'm assuming it must have been a post-watershed show. A lot of racist attitude by the cops (though that probably wasn't seen as anything unusual in the 80s).
    The first 3 series (back when it was just a series of 13 episodes each year) are well worth getting on DVD if only for John Salthouse's performance as DI Galloway - believe it or not he's possibly better than Chris Ellisons DI Burnside.
    You see already proving my point that ITV are just a soap opera TV service which puts you off watching any of their dramas. I think the Bill would have been better of rebranding and moving out of sunhill to avoid the comparisons that audiences have with the show. What harm in having a new gritty drama.
    You are correct, because its on ITV every week there is a negative perception that it'll be a combo of Midsommer Murders and Emmerdale.
    As for taking it out of Sunhill, well to an extent they have. SunHill has suddenly grown from a few estates to encompass London Bridge, the financial district etc.
    The new opening/closing credits with their long CSI-style panaromic shots of London and creepy music will give an idea of what the program is trying to do.

Ratings wise it seems to be failing in its new slot so I think you will get your wish and it'll be pulled in the next year. Maybe have a look on Thursday to see what you think?

Because
    1. it can distract audiences from other better shows.
    2. the older shows run the risk of being on the air far past their sell by date and the image of ITV drama is that of Soap Opera rather than Prime Suspect and Cracker.
    3. that these soap opera take up so much of the space other newer programming (in particular drama) fails to get a look in, and money remains with in the cheaper programmes again preventing quality drama through.

Remember Prime Suspect and Cracker.

It is quite obvious that you have not seen it in a while and have no idea what you are on about. You should really know what you are talking about before rubbishing it.

• Advertisement

It is quite obvious that you have not seen it in a while and have no idea what you are on about. You should really know what you are talking about before rubbishing it.

We are talking about the 5:30 programmes on RTÉ which I have watch and still view pretty much as a Soap Opera. Again The Bill isn't Prime Suspect or Cracker., but then Casualty isn't really ER and ever ER over ran for about 5 years. I don't really know why I should return to a show that died about 10 years ago. I will take a look on Thursday but I have seen clips and haven't been to impressed.

Advertisement