Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

star tattoos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Thats a strong argument youve got there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    Thats a strong argument youve got there :rolleyes:

As opposed to stating an annoyance at a complete strangers decision to have a tattoo with a popular design.

I dislike fads, the real thing that annoys me (read back) is being corrected by people who dont know what they are talking about, and who are arrogant about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I dislike fads.

... and you're absolutely entitled to but it does not warrant this:
    it is our duty as assholes to belittle and degrade them at every opportunity.

ah I was only messin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Stars look well when they have a cool design to go with. My brother who tattoos was telling me the other day that every second female customer wants a star tattoo! It's definitely the new thing in and doesn't seem to be moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I blame pirates of the carribbean...

And tv.

Oh and Brian Cowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

I have a tattoo of three falling stars with lots of star dust and smaller stars surrounding them.

They represent my friends, my family and the people i knew and loved that are not with us anymore.

I have them on my foot, so they're taking every step of my journey with me.

Although, that particular tat is soo popular lately, i love mine as its special to me and i thought about the meaning behind it/design for ages.

SM

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭littleman

supermouse wrote: »
    I have a tattoo of three falling stars with lots of star dust and smaller stars surrounding them.

They represent my friends, my family and the people i knew and loved that are not with us anymore.

I have them on my foot, so they're taking every step of my journey with me.

Although, that particular tat is soo popular lately, i love mine as its special to me and i thought about the meaning behind it/design for ages.

SM

Now your tattoo is different even tho there stars,there done completle different ways and have meanings behind them,the once i hate are the ones that are just put on the wrist or neck style stars

Exactly littleman, it sounds stupid, but we can differenciate between typical stars and the stars that supermouse has described.

• Advertisement

Exactly littleman, it sounds stupid, but we can differenciate between typical stars and the stars that supermouse has described.

Excatly,thats why i started this thread bout those sh!t star tattoos

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

littleman wrote: »
    Excatly,thats why i started this thread bout those sh!t star tattoos

So you started a thread to complain about something on someone elses body...why exactly?
    There are PLENTY of tattoos I don't particularly like, but I simply won't tattoo them on myself. I certainly won't jump on the internet and complain about them. I find that quite sad to be honest.

There are some amazing star tattoos out there. There are also some bad ones.
    There are people who get them because they hold meaning, there are also those who get them because they are 'cool' and the 'in thing'.
    So frickin what? Each to their own.

Sheesh. Some people need to get a life and stop concerning themselves with what other people do :rolleyes:

F.F.S!!!!!!

Is it so hard to believe that some people in the world like to voice their opinion!?

Maybe the people who reserve their opinions, only to voice them at their disliking for other people VOICING THEIR OPINIONS.. are the ones who need to get a life..
    Fiii wrote: »
    Sheesh. Some people need to get a life and stop concerning themselves with what other people do :rolleyes:

HYPOCRITE! why dont YOU get a life?! ..and stop concerning yourself with what other people do. ARG!

F.F.S!!!!!!

Is it so hard to believe that some people in the world like to voice their opinion!?

Maybe the people who reserve their opinions, only to voice them at their disliking for other people VOICING THEIR OPINIONS.. are the ones who need to get a life..

HYPOCRITE! why dont YOU get a life?! ..and stop concerning yourself with what other people do. ARG!

Awh diddums, did I hit a nerve there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

250,000 mg to everyone on thread... stat

lo5x6bpwavpfnpa1j5i3.jpeg

Oh Wilburt, you do make me lol ;)

*sigh*

I've to go and read this thread now. If people see a problematic post please report it.

Yeah I'm good at chilling people usually :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Actually I'm just gonna lock this thread now. There's no need to have a thread simply slagging off a particular style of tattoo.

Don't like it? Don't get it.

Not to your taste? Nobody asking you to like it.

People have made a horrific choice in deciding to follow a trend, it is our duty as assholes to belittle and degrade them at every opportunity.

Less of the above attitude please QOTSA90, it's not what this forum is about. Just makes you fulfill your above quote.

If people are gonna argue have a wee peak at this lil diagram. Top is good, bottom is bad.

media_httpimgskitchcom20090726nkcke5k2pcrgx4e2gt9ifgiyhkjpg_HiprbesEtEEevjH.jpg

If you (and everyone else) wants to argue do it in a civilised manner please, don't go throwing expletives around for the fun of it and getting your boxers/knickers in a bunch.

Chanks :)

On topic - people get the tattoo they deserve.

edit: Chatted with Damo, staying open as long as people are polite etc. We for the most part are adults after all. Don't make me regret this *shakes fist* :)

Leaving it open is all good with me Will! :)

I'd just argue that because someone gets a star tattoo because they like the asthetic of it is no reason to slag it off. So what if it's common? Does something become not as nice because it's more common? No, it simply becomes more popular, and there's not a thing wrong with that. There are plenty of us with tattoos that we have gotten simply because we like the look of them, they hold no real deeper meaning.

Just because other people like the look of stars/tribals/celtic bands or any other thing that ends up getting looked down upon does not make it any less of a valid choice for them.

• Advertisement

Fiii wrote: »
    Awh diddums, did I hit a nerve there?
    Not you, but the fact that, wherever someone will describe their dislike for a certain thing, there will always be someone like yourself to say what you said.

lo5x6bpwavpfnpa1j5i3.jpeg

will wash several down with jager on my next trip to the toilet.

Infraction issued to QOTSA90 for carrying on after on thread warnings.

Infraction issued to QOTSA90 for carrying on after on thread warnings.

Thanks for leavin it open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Robbie444

Wow, I can't believe how much this thread has gotten going! The thing I really do not understand though is why tattoo "purists" who hate the lack of originality that stars convey are so pissed off. I mean surely you are very concious of your own originality (hence the reason you have spent time debating on a tattoo forum) and are stars not just making your tattoos even cooler???? Think about it, would you rather have loads of people going around with really awesome and original tattoos that take from the attention that you might receive from yours, or would you rather all these people with the same generic tattoo such as stars?

As one of the sheep with star tattoos I really could not give a sh1t if people do not like it. Most of the people who don't like it will be Men who have tattoos themselves. Women on the other hand will tend to like my tattoo a lot more than Men. I have already gotten lots of attention from girls admiring my tattoo and I REALLY don't think chicks dig macho tribal tattoos......unless they are female GAA players of course. And as for being "stuck" with a tattoo I will regret? It has no, I repeat NO meaning to me and is purely for decoration and it looks very well so what is to regret? It is typical Irish narrow-mindedness imo. I have some American friends from New York and Chicago who have the most random tattoos but they have such a great open mind about tattoos which makes them such cool individuals. For example, one guy is a skateboarder and has a cartoon looking Chicago skyline all over his back. I'm not saying I would go for it but gotta hand it to the guy, he doesn't give a sh1t! Its his home and he loves the place so why not? I plan on getting more tattoos done and my next will be a lot more personalised and custom so there is a much higher change of me regreting that one in the future than the stars imo.

Don't take tattoos or yourself too seriously, they are all just drawings at the end of the day! Those who take them too serious and get all pissed off about other peoples ones are pretty lame imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

hee hee, who'd have thought stars could cause such controversy?!! :)
    I'd sort of liken it to a band gettin really big all of a sudden and everyone saying they sold out. They're still a good band, just a lot more people like em now.
    Stars is popular for a good reason, it looks good(if done well) and it's very versatile in terms of size and placement.

Although I am slightly biased, I have a line of stars on my foot and leg, really really love it, can't imagine ever regretting it.... she says now! ;)

dearg lady wrote: »
    I'd sort of liken it to a band gettin really big all of a sudden and everyone saying they sold out. They're still a good band, just a lot more people like em now.
    Stars is popular for a good reason, it looks good(if done well) and it's very versatile in terms of size and placement

This is spot on! Very well put!

dearg lady wrote: »
    hee hee, who'd have thought stars could cause such controversy?!! :)
    Stars is popular for a good reason, it looks good(if done well) and it's very versatile in terms of size and placement.

Although I am slightly biased, I have a line of stars on my foot and leg, really really love it, can't imagine ever regretting it.... she says now! ;)

So your saying that the amount of people that are getting the three random stars done on there arms necks and wherever are a good thing,most of them are just an outline and have no depth to them,but no1 has given a good reason why there so popular and thats why i started this thread to find out why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

So your saying that the amount of people that are getting the three random stars done on there arms necks and wherever are a good thing,most of them are just an outline and have no depth to them,but no1 has given a good reason why there so popular and thats why i started this thread to find out why

lol, why do you seem to take it so personally?? :p
    I don't think it's a good thing or a bad thing, I don't think it's any of my business actually...
    I said why I think thy're so popular already but that's just my opinion. If ya don't like em it's no biggie, just don't get a star tat!

Who says every tattoo needs depth? Go visit williamsburg in Brooklyn and spend the day walking around looking at young people's tattoos on the street. You will see hundreds of completely random tattoos and if you ask most people, they will not have much of a story for most of their tattoos. The bottom line is that tattoos are hip, and its cool to be hip! You may think that everybody who has stars are by default just 'scenesters' and many probably are, but right now the majority of young people (18-22) are getting tattoos to be cool and to complement their image. Wheter this image is Punk, Emo, Goth, Indie etc, star tattoos just fit all of these genres and have become sort of a trademark of youth pop culture. Whats to get? I hear som many people say "oh I'd love to get a tattoo but I dont know what to get", well stars are an easy choice for many people because they are in vogue and pretty meaningless. You have to understand that there are 2 categories of people who go in for a tattoo. One category is going in to get something done that is original and often personal to them, while the other category is simply going in to get a tattoo.

I think what is happening at the moment in Ireland is that tattoos are becoming much more accepted than they were say 5 years ago. This of course has been the case in America for many years now and that is why there are far more young people with tattoos in the states compared to Ireland. But like anything (Music, Fashion, Food etc) countries like Ireland are hugely influenced by American culture and our pop culture is pretty much directly influenced by the states. I really don't know the actual origin of star tattoos but I have liked them since I was about 18 and I just got one when I was 22 so for me I feel like I did not totally copy people but obviosuly my decision to get one was directly influeced by pop culture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Jammy

I personally really dislike star tattoos but I'd never say it to someone who was getting one done. One my close friends is getting one, but I just wished her well with it!

There's a lot of tattoos that I really hate, and put me off the whole tattoo concept and having one! But it's a personal thing so in the end it obviously means a lot to the person, sure they're gonna have it for the rest of their lives!

I know some people who arn't gonna like my one. But to me having something really unique and unusual does it for me. I really admire people who do something different and their tattoos wow me and I love it!

I'm not trying to diminish other tattoos or people with popular tattoos. But that side of the tattoo industry I don't like. Where other people love it and love having something that's popular because they can say they have it! I respect that but I don't have to like it :o

Advertisement