Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAA Division I Season Thread "Fight On!"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lirange wrote: »
    I don't think tOSU will fall as far as you think. They did win the game. Although they did nearly blow a 15 point lead in the waning minutes. The pollsters will probably take a wait and see attitude until after the USC game with some probably wondering if they were looking ahead. They will want to see if Ohio State can at least play close with the Trojans. Also, Navy fields winning teams year after year and often compete well with top teams so people may hold off on pulling the trigger on a free fall. Contrast that with #11 LSU's ugly win against Washington a team that didn't win a single game last year. Teams tend to get penalised more severely for ugly wins later in the season when they've got the landscape more sussed out.
    My bad, it was nearly as bad as a defeat imo. Somebody said that Navy will be good this year but I don't think so. I think this showed a lot of weakness in the Buckeye's defense, specifically the DL which looked very weak. I think they will drop big time this weak, as in three to four spots, the Sooners should drop to the mid teens especially with an injury to Bradford which could cost them in their next two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

I think Oklahoma could become a dangerous team in the Big 12 later in the year with a healthy Bradford and with a damper on expectations. All the pressure swings to Texas. They play two cupcakes in Idaho State and Tulsa next. Then Bradford should be back for the Miami game in a month. It will give their inexperienced but blue chip OL time to gel. They've got a good defence and too many weapons to languish in the Big 12.

The Alabama - VT game was high quality stuff. Upchurch is a beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

I think Oklahoma could become a dangerous team in the Big 12 later in the year with a healthy Bradford and with a damper on expectations. All the pressure swings to Texas. They play two cupcakes in Idaho State and Tulsa next. Then Bradford should be back for the Miami game in a month. It will give their inexperienced but blue chip OL time to gel. They've got a good defence and too many weapons to languish in the Big 12.

The Alabama - VT game was high quality stuff. Upchurch is a beast.

Ya if they get Bradford back before Miami they are still alive but they now realistically have zero margin for error. If they lose in Dallas again (or anywhere else) its over for them. Unless we have one of those crazy years where everyone around the Sooners lose and the somehow back their way in with 2 loses like LSU did a couple of years back.

That Canes, Noles game was crazy good! One of the best games ive seen in a long time! Both teams looked really sharp compared to some of the sloppy play at the weekend. Ponder played great for the Noles but Harris was unbeliveable for Miami! Very cool in a pressure cooker atmosphere.

Hynzie wrote: »
    Ya if they get Bradford back before Miami they are still alive but they now realistically have zero margin for error. If they lose in Dallas again (or anywhere else) its over for them. Unless we have one of those crazy years where everyone around the Sooners lose and the somehow back their way in with 2 loses like LSU did a couple of years back.
    I had Texas ahead of OU in the predictions thread. They had many more returning players than the Sooners this season. Honestly I didn't see Oklahoma winning a national title let alone the Big 12. My point about them is that they're still quality enough to be spoilers for others including Texas. Less pressure could make them more dangerous. I'm also anxious to see if the Big 12 North can improve and make things difficult for a few of the Big 12 South powers. Particularly Nebraska, Kansas, and Missouri. I think Tech will be down this year. They lost more than just the tandem of Harrell and Crabtree. But they always have their system.

I had Texas ahead of OU in the predictions thread. They had many more returning players than the Sooners this season. Honestly I didn't see Oklahoma winning a national title let alone the Big 12. My point about them is that they're still quality enough to be spoilers for others including Texas. Less pressure could make them more dangerous. I'm also anxious to see if the Big 12 North can improve and make things difficult for a few of the Big 12 South powers. Particularly Nebraska, Kansas, and Missouri. I think Tech will be down this year. They lost more than just the tandem of Harrell and Crabtree. But they always have their system.

Oh ya I agree with you there. Im a Longhorns fan and they scare the hell out of me still!!

I agree about tech aswell they arent USC where they can just reload and contend every year. The system will keep them competitive but they wont be in contention. I think the could get blasted in Austin in a couple of weeks, major revenge game for Texas!

The north really has to step its game up. Since the Big 12 was formed in 96 they have had only four champions. Missouri look interesting I thought they were way down after losing Maclin and Daniel but they fairly stuck it too Illinois! I think they will be a more of a spoiler than a contender though. To me Nebraska look like the team to come out of the north. Pelini seems to be straightening that program out.

also New ap poll out

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

USC Trojans move up in Coaches and AP? Ohio St Buckeyes drop? Saturday 12 September match-up should be interesting to watch. Anyone want to call the point spread? (I'm going to guess USC by 10)

Coaches Poll
    Rk Team Points
    1 Florida 1472
    2 Texas 1407
    3 USC 1352 :cool:
    4 Alabama 1299
    5 Penn State 1145
    6 Oklahoma State 1114
    7 Ohio State 1106
    8 Mississippi 1006
    9 LSU 977
    10 California 935

AP Poll
    Rk Team Points
    1 Florida 1493
    2 Texas 1424
    3 USC 1355 :cool:
    4 Alabama 1331
    5 Oklahoma State 1201
    6 Mississippi 1095
    7 Penn State 1082
    8 Ohio State 985
    9 Brigham Young 984
    10 California 971

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

USC Trojans move up in Coaches and AP? Ohio St Buckeyes drop? Saturday 12 September match-up should be interesting to watch. Anyone want to call the point spread? (I'm going to guess USC by 10)

Currently USC -7. I think they will cover easily. Any doubts about the new QB will have been assuaged by Navy's ability to run the ball at will. USC should be able to keep it on the ground and wear out Ohio. Expect most of the scoring to come late in the 3rd / early in the 4th.

My focus is on the big game in the big house this weekend! Both ND and Michigan looked great against weak opposition. If we can just compete upfront and average 3yrds per carry when we run in the first half I think Clausen and the WR's can get it done. Massive game though. If we can win, then the next game home to Michigan St. We could be 3 - 0 travelling to Purdue where a win could open all sorts of exciting possibilities (still unbeaten on October 17! green jersey time!).

Hopefully, the players aren't like me, and are firmly focused on this Saturday and this Saturday alone. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"More than 105,000 Buckeyes fans are expected to pack Ohio Stadium to see if Ohio State can avenge last season's embarrassing 35-3 loss to the Trojans and restore a bit of Big Ten Conference pride... Much of the crowd's attention, and noise, will be focused on Barkley.":eek:

Source: http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/usc/la-sp-usc-football-fyi9-2009sep09,0,3196505.story

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Currently USC -7. I think they will cover easily. Any doubts about the new QB will have been assuaged by Navy's ability to run the ball at will. USC should be able to keep it on the ground and wear out Ohio. Expect most of the scoring to come late in the 3rd / early in the 4th.
    Fully in agreement with this. The Buckeyes couldn't stop the run and USC can mix it up better than most. They have a couple of really good running backs, McKnight seems to be no.1 but there are a couple of other seniors who have been impressive over the last two years.
    That close call last week will have meant a lot of heavy defensive work for the Buckeyes but their D line just looks too weak to stand up to the might of the Trojans.
    My focus is on the big game in the big house this weekend! Both ND and Michigan looked great against weak opposition. If we can just compete upfront and average 3yrds per carry when we run in the first half I think Clausen and the WR's can get it done. Massive game though. If we can win, then the next game home to Michigan St. We could be 3 - 0 travelling to Purdue where a win could open all sorts of exciting possibilities (still unbeaten on October 17! green jersey time!).

Hopefully, the players aren't like me, and are firmly focused on this Saturday and this Saturday alone. :)
    This is the first real test for the Irish, we need a big win here to make a mark on the polls early. I'm really hoping that we are up to it, Clausen looked great the last day, and Michael Floyd got most of the yards which means we should have some fun this year with Golden Tate maybe getting less attention than he did for most of last year.
    As you say its all about establishing the run early, if we do that we can take this one comfortably imo.

Coaches Poll
    Rk Team Points
    1 Florida 1472
    2 Texas 1407
    3 USC 1352 :cool:
    4 Alabama 1299
    5 Penn State 1145
    6 Oklahoma State 1114
    7 Ohio State 1106
    8 Mississippi 1006
    9 LSU 977
    10 California 935
    20 Notre Dame:cool:
    AP Poll
    Rk Team Points
    1 Florida 1493
    2 Texas 1424
    3 USC 1355 :cool:
    4 Alabama 1331
    5 Oklahoma State 1201
    6 Mississippi 1095
    7 Penn State 1082
    8 Ohio State 985
    9 Brigham Young 984
    10 California 971
    18 Notre Dame :cool:

I really find it hard to believe that Ohio State dropped so little after that display.
    On the game, I just see that USC OL being far too powerful for the Buckeyes and being pretty much unstoppable. USC's defense is the key and for me its a result something like last year, maybe slightly closer but USC by at least 17.

• Advertisement

Who knew that turning a pistol into a popgun would shake down the thunder? Who would've imagined that bucking some in-state Broncos would lead to such a hailing of victors valiant? With more than 1,700 wins combined and the top two winning percentages in history, Notre Dame and Michigan pegged the anticipation meter by beating Nevada and Western Michigan.

ncf_g_jclausen1_200.jpg
    Jimmy Clausen looked like a superstar versus Nevada.

You know what? Silly as it seems, that feels just right. It wasn't so much that the Irish and Wolverines won; it was how they won. Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen was razor-sharp and looked like the leader of a precise offensive attack unit -- not just a scattershot collection of a pretty good passer and receivers.

Michigan looked, well, the way West Virginia used to look. Isn't that why it hired Rich Rodriguez in the first place? The Wolverines have one quarterback who won't tie his shoes and turns broken plays into the best highlight of the first week, and a starter who is buckled up head to toe in Rich Rod's spread option. Denard Robinson and Tate Forcier were the missing links.

Now, the buildup surrounding this game mostly befits the foes' glorious status in college football.

That is until one team's hope turns to despair again Saturday. That's the nature of a rivalry game. It's supposed to break your heart when you lose. Both coaches need to win, although I think Charlie Weis needs it a smidgen more than Rodriguez. I know Rodriguez has controversy swirling around him. But if the Irish lose to a Michigan team guided by two freshman quarterbacks in Rodriguez's second year, I suspect the grumbling will be a little more than just audible from South Bend.

Unlike recent editions that have been marred by blowouts and sloppy play, I expect Saturday's game to be high on the entertainment scale. The past three meetings have been decided by an average of four touchdowns. The Irish and Wolverines are due to play a classic or at least a near classic. Why not Saturday?

I know the Irish shut down a dangerous dual-threat quarterback in the Wolf Pack's Colin Kaepernick last week, but I think Michigan's first win did wonders for its confidence. I still expect to see Michigan move the ball against the Irish. That's a huge key to me. How well will the Wolverines control the ball against the Irish? If they don't, they'll have trouble.

This game represents Clausen's next step in his battle to live up to expectations. If he truly deserves mention alongside Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy this season, he must win this game for his team. Period. I have a time-proven theory about quarterbacks: When you throw more touchdown passes than incompletions, you're playing great. Four touchdowns and three incompletions against Nevada means Clausen was awesome. Complex, isn't it?

Michigan might be without CB Boubacar Cissoko, who had an interception in the opener. Going down the depth chart isn't a comforting way to deal with Michael Floyd and Golden Tate. So watch the pass rush. If Michigan puts heat on Clausen, it'll have a shot at the biggest win of the Rodriguez era. If not, Clausen could lay another plank in the foundation for his, dare I say it, Heisman candidacy. Lou Holtz brought up the topic during the Final Verdict segment of "College Football Final" last week, and the judge issued a continuance. Clausen has the early look of a guy ready for a special season. We'll see during the next couple of weeks.

Really looking forward to the game now! Saturday evening I am staying in and watching me some football. :) Kickoff will be 20.30 on ESPN America (I buckled and subscribed to it :().

Clemson and Georgia Tech tonight. Planning to enjoy watching Tech's whopper triple option offense. Can be very exciting when they get rolling.

Gonna watch the Yellow Jackets too. And of course the Irish and a couple of others too. I just hope its a one sided affair so I can watch the Steelers/Titans in peace.

Clemson and Georgia Tech tonight. Planning to enjoy watching Tech's whopper triple option offense. Can be very exciting when they get rolling.

Ya Dwyer is a beast and if Josh Nesbitt can improve throwing the ball they could make some noise

eagle eye wrote: »
    I just hope its a one sided affair so I can watch the Steelers/Titans in peace.

looks like your wish has been granted!

Killer fake field goal for a td by the yellow jacks!! Man Georgia Tech are fun to watch!

This has been a destruction. Paul Johnson is a genius. Clemson do look absolutely horrible though it must be said.

We may have spoke too soon here, clemson are making a comeback!

Hynzie wrote: »
    We may have spoke too soon here, clemson are making a comeback!

What a game in the end. Why Georgia Tech insisted on passing so much in the second half is beyond me.

Lets go Irish!!!

Notre Dame playing well after a rough start. Just looking at the halftime scores and Texas are struggling against Tulane, while the OK State Cowboys are down 24-7 to Houston:eek:. Gators crushed the other Trojans(Troy) and BC Eagles crushed Kent St.

Notre Dame playing well after a rough start. Just looking at the halftime scores and Texas are struggling against Tulane, while the OK State Cowboys are down 24-7 to Houston:eek:. Gators crushed the other Trojans(Troy) and BC Eagles crushed Kent St.

Yeah they are looking good now. good to see they didnt lose the head early after the missed field goal, step out of bounds that prevented the TD and the kick return.

The Horns sure are making a mess of this Wyoming game! but they are up by 10 now so hopefully they have it under control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Pat the Patriot

Watchin the game on the telly, but the signal keeps going...not sure if its the link to the US or the terrestial signal....very frustrating!!!! Michigan are doing really well as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭theothers108

signal has gone on my aswell not working at all.

keeping track on the web and watchin' match of the day......pity

check out www.justin.tv and you should be able to find a stream to watch it

thanks alot.........

OK State goes down in flames at home to Houston. After being the cover boys for SI this week.

I used to think the SI and Madden curse were rubbish but now I'm not sure.

Ugh I feel so sick right now. Michigan take the lead with 11 tics on the clock.

Predictable when there's a minute or so left on the clock these days. Invariably go in to the bend but don't break prevent defence. So they let the opposition march down the field and take chunks rather than concede the big play. As ever it fails.

Gutted, absolutely gutted. :(

• Advertisement

Ugh I feel so sick right now. Michigan take the lead with 11 tics on the clock.

Michigan St and USC in 05; Navy in 07; UNC, Pitt and Syracuse last year; Michigan today.

Some heart breakers over the past few years. It's tough. :(

Advertisement