Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAA Division I Season Thread "Fight On!"

Options
  • 16-08-2009 5:00am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Carroll picked sophomore (2nd year) Aaron Corp to be starting QB last April, but it was reported that frosh (1st year) Matt Barkley was a very close contender for the selection to lead the USC Trojan offense during the 2009 season. Now it's reported that Corp has been injured during practice and is out for at least 2 weeks with a cracked fibula and bruised knee, while Barkley steps in (temporarily?) during practice as QB.

The sports casters are a-buzz about the chance that Coach Carroll will change his mind and replace Corp with Barkley, but Carroll has not commented on this prospect. If you were Head Coach Carroll, what would you do about this QB starting position only three or four weeks away from San Jose State and Ohio State gridiron contests?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I would personally interview and make the final decision on all cheerleaders.:D

You needn't worry about it, Carroll will make the right decision. Its hard to call when we don't really know anything about either guy really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I think Barkley will do the job. I personally think he is better than corp to be honest. Even if Barkley is still a freshman I feel he will do the job nicely. If you watched Barkley at all at Mater Dei HS you can see he has potential and in that UA combine and UA All star high school game. With USC Oline and offense he wont go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

What's the risk? Go with the freshman and let him lose the job. If he loses it, you have the guy you anointed, and you had the injury as an excuse for not playing him in the first place. If he wins it, happy days, you have your quarterback for the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I've only seen clips of his high school highlights on Youtube but to me Barkley looks pretty decent. Has a pretty quick release, he actually steps into his throws and doesn't just rely on his arm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It would appear from these posts that Barkley wins the starting QB position if we were to vote today. Blue was thinking Barkley too (cause he's more handsome... errrrr... I mean he has a better arm... ahhhh... well, you get the picture). We are split here at Troy between the two. Our last QB Sanchez was injured about the same time during summer and went on to do pretty grand. Then again, that injury reduced his scrambling and rushing performance somewhat (maybe just enough to cost us the championship)?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

eagle eye wrote: »
    I would personally interview and make the final decision on all cheerleaders.
    For your eagle eye:
    Trojan%20Cheerleaders.jpg

It would appear from these posts that Barkley wins the starting QB position if we were to vote today. Blue was thinking Barkley too (cause he's more handsome... errrrr... I mean he has a better arm... ahhhh... well, you get the picture). We are split here at Troy between the two. Our last QB Sanchez was injured about the same time during summer and went on to do pretty grand. Then again, that injury reduced his scrambling and rushing performance somewhat (maybe just enough to cost us the championship)?

The only thing Corp has over Barkley right now is two years worth of practice and a couple of snaps as a Trojan. Not forgetting he was a redshirt freshman so he would have practiced with them even while shirted.

What Barkley gives is he is fresh from HS and graduated early to attend Trojan Spring Practice back in April. He is also a pure pocket passer who is light on his feet and can move if needs be. He is confident and controls his pocket and isnt phased by the pass rushers. If he carries his HS abilities into USC he will be Heisman winner. Look at his vids and read things on him. I know coaches who have gone up against Mater Dei and they were astonished how goo this kid is.

For your eagle eye:
    hot-USC-cheerleaders.jpg

I fixed that for you! :D

I know coaches who have gone up against Mater Dei and they were astonished how goo this kid is.
    If Carroll picks Barkley of Mater Dei as starting QB to lead the Trojans into battle against the Fighting Irish, does that mean we Irish win no matter which team wins?

Our first string offensive PLAY!
    008129101112009_ucla_at_usc.jpg

He can make a pass at me!:D See Barkley page: http://www.mattbarkley.org/

**Just wanted to add a little balance to this USC cheerleader-fest thread eagle eye and tallaghtoutlaws**

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

I think the risk with starting Barkley is September 12 in Columbus Ohio. I like the look of him too but this is a big challenge for any young QB. They play San Jose State first (who they would probably beat without a QB!) and then off to the horseshoe. In any other year I would agree that he should get the job based on the talent he has shown. Even if they had WSU and Washington before OSU it would give him a chance to settle in, but having your first road game against a top 20 team in front of 100,000 plus? Thats tough. And considering how the Pac-10 is viewed as a weaker conference again this year one loss could do in their national title hopes.

Therefore I can see, despite Barkley's gifts, why Carroll is reluctant to start him so soon. Corps injury might force him to throw him in and he might go out an light up the Buckeyes, but considering how USC's biggest game is in week 2 If all are healthy id go the more experienced route.

Hynzie wrote: »
    Therefore I can see, despite Barkley's gifts, why Carroll is reluctant to start him so soon. Corps injury might force him to throw him in and he might go out an light up the Buckeyes, but considering how USC's biggest game is in week 2 If all are healthy id go the more experienced route.
    That's one side of the debate we are having at Troy. Decisions, decisions! Well, only time (and Pete Carroll) will tell.

Not sure how the coaches, Harris, or AP polls would change USC's rankings if Corps was officially dropped to 2nd string and Barkley moved to starter QB? Any ideas or guesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Trojan%20Cheerleaders.jpg
    008129101112009_ucla_at_usc.jpg

It gets mentioned numerous times every year in every football forum I post in, and everyone knows it to be true; but nonetheless I feel it bears repeating: USC cheerleaders are full of win.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It gets mentioned numerous times every year in every football forum I post in, and everyone knows it to be true; but nonetheless I feel it bears repeating: USC cheerleaders are full of win.
    LuckyLloyd! The next thing you will be claiming is that the Trojans win because all the opposing team players are paying more attention to our cheerleaders than the game!

Barkley got the nod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Oh didn't realise this thread was about cheerleaders, would of looked it more often.

IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_8269.jpg

fapawayyoulonelybastard.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

I think I'm in love!

IMG_8269.jpg

I know a male cheerleader in a D1 college and this picture is the reason why. :D

Oh didn't realise this thread was about cheerleaders, would of looked it more often.
    tallaghtoutlaws! LuckyLloyd! You're leading Chucky the tree astray on this thread! And eagle eye, you started it! Where's the ref? Oh, you lads probably want an instant cheerleader replay if one of those striped shirts blows his whistle and calls a penalty? Typical lads!!!!;)

Well, I believe in equal opportunity, and this pic looks pretty grand to me of Matt Barkley in practice. Now our starter QB.
    BARKLEY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Trampas

so who is everyone's pick for the BCS this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 intercepter

I love USC. Got them at 10/1 thanks to a friend of mine tip off. They are now a best price 8's. A lot with depend on their Freshman QB Matt Barkley but coach Carroll appears to have chosen wisely. Week 2 versus the Buckeyes will reveal a lot.

• Advertisement

Meh, USC's problem will be maintaining focus through their conference schedule - something that has been beyond them the past couple of years.

Being honest, it really is too early to make predictions. Pre - season assessments are frequently way out of line with actual squad strength in NCAAF, and consequently it will be very difficult to get a good handle on who has the toughest schedules until we've had three or four rounds of games.

The only thing I'd be certain of is that there will be controversy on BCS selection Sunday. :rolleyes:

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The only thing I'd be certain of is that there will be controversy on BCS selection Sunday. :rolleyes:
    Indeed! But that's been the history of the BCS. The coach's and AP agree for the first 5:

Coach's Poll
    Rk Team Points
    1 Florida (53) 1466
    2 Texas (4) 1386
    3 Oklahoma (1) 1358
    4 USC (1) 1321 :cool:
    5 Alabama 1134

AP Poll
    Rk Team Points
    1 Florida (58) 1498
    2 Texas (2) 1424
    3 Oklahoma 1370
    4 USC 1313 :cool:
    5 Alabama 1156

The Infamous Bad B!ue Poll
    1 Florida
    2 USC:cool:
    3 Oklahoma
    4 Texas
    5 Alabama

EDIT: If/then statements...

If the Trojans defeat the Buckeyes on 12 September, then they will lose one game during this season to the easiest team to beat on their schedule.

If the Trojans lose to the Buckeyes, then they will not be a contender for the championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

Let the craziness begin! the Sooners lose 14 - 13 to BYU. Sam Bradford injured his shoulder and will miss 2 to 4 weeks. Iowa needed two blocked field goals in a row to beat Northern Iowa and Ohio State nearly went down to Navy!

Alabama v Virginia Tech was a great game aswell. Hard to beat a big time college football game for pure entertainment and drama!

Fight On Trojans!

Was hiding under the table at Legends of Long Beach (Trojan bar owned by a former USC player) during the first quarter of this season's first game against San Jose State, with our offense stumbling all over the field, executing poorly, and fumbling twice. Thank the gods the Trojan defense executed expertly from the first minute of play, giving up only 3 points. Unlike the offense, the defense was quick and expert, forcing 2 fumbles, and looking even better than last year.

A complete and total transformation for our offense occurred with the 2nd quarter, when they seized the momentum and the game, scoring 4TDs as if child's play. True frosh teenager QB Matt Barkley got over his college ball nOObness and began to play like the national champ he was when in high school the year before. Although he did a lot of handoffs, he completed 15 of 19. LOOK out! This lad knows how to play-action-pass!

With a huge lead going into the 4th quarter, Head Coach Pete Carroll worked his 2nd string into play, including injured QB Corp, who performed as if he was fully healed after only 3 weeks of rehab (adding one TD to the scoreboard). It would appear that USC is very strong in the QB department, so don't count on us falling behind in this area due to possible season injuries. We have depth!

Rushing and passing were textbook well-balanced for SC, with 233 yards passing and 343 yards rushing. Except for a couple fumbles, McKnight and Johnson moved the ball down the field and racked up 2TDs each.

I know you lads will remind me that San Jose State was a piece of cake, and that next Saturday's away game against the Big 10 Buckeyes will provide a more realistic pic? But did you see what Navy almost did to Ohio State today (31-27 final), huh, huh? Will the Buckeyes drop in the polls?

Final score Trojans 56, San Jose State 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Jimmy Clausen and ND had a good night. 15 of 18 for 315 yds and 4 TD, 0 int.

Now them's good numbers. 35-0, too. Will ND be moving up in the polls? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Watched the Irish game and was very impressed although its too early to call just how much they have improved. I watched the Buckeyes game also and they look like they have troubles on defense, they were unable to stop the run consistently and they are going to fall bigtime in the rankings after that defeat.

I also watched the Sooners and they have big problems on offense, even before Sam Bradford got injured they were not looking good on offense and ran the ball way too much which makes me believe that the coach has little confidence in his receivers.

I'm very interested to see the rankings after this week. How far will Oklahoma fall? It could be mid teens imo. How high will BYU rise?
    Texas Tech off to a good start after starting unranked. The Irish should move up, and the Buckeyes could crash to the mid teens despite their win.
    The big movers in the top ten will be Oklahoma State and the Nittany Lions.

Ohio State were made to look ordinary, but Navy will have a good season this year. SJSU and Nevada will not. ;)

BYU are a good team. They have all the tough opponents remaining on their schedule at home (Fl St, Utah, TCU, Air Force). Long way to go, but if they are unbeaten on September 20 you can start thinking perfect season = national championship bid.

Miami and Fl St tonight on 360. Been a terrible weekend for the ACC (Duke and Virginia beaten by Division 1 - A at home!! / Maryland destroyed by CAL), so it would be in everyone's interests for this to be a cracker.

I'm very interested to see the rankings after this week.
    Me too! Buckeyes down, Oklahoma down, BYU up, Irish up, and Texas Tech into the top 25. Still think that Penn State will fall on its face this season, but I may be alone on that call. My USC Trojans will hold at #4 pending the upcoming Buckeye game in a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

I watched the Buckeyes game also and they look like they have troubles on defense, they were unable to stop the run consistently and they are going to fall bigtime in the rankings after that defeat.
    I don't think tOSU will fall as far as you think. They did win the game. Although they did nearly blow a 15 point lead in the waning minutes. The pollsters will probably take a wait and see attitude until after the USC game with some probably wondering if they were looking ahead. They will want to see if Ohio State can at least play close with the Trojans. Also, Navy fields winning teams year after year and often compete well with top teams so people may hold off on pulling the trigger on a free fall. Contrast that with #11 LSU's ugly win against Washington a team that didn't win a single game last year. Teams tend to get penalised more severely for ugly wins later in the season when they've got the landscape more sussed out.

Advertisement