Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommendations on a reliable, cheap and sporty car

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

1.8 - lotus Elise S1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

steve06 wrote: »
    1.8 - lotus Elise S1

Thanks, but not looking at 2 seaters anymore for practicality reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

RichyX wrote: »
    I like Integras, but I've heard they're a bit rubbish for commuting due to lack of sound insulation. The image is a little boy racerish for my tastes, but if I can find one locally I'll give it a try.

UK spec is much more refined, still rattly and noisy by times but you wont mind that when your driving her on a back road :D

unfortunately the fall in prices means they have fallen into the hands of boy racer types but thats not a real reason to discount them, getting a uk spec means you have a car slightly different to the norm too.

The seats are incredibly comfy too and you can get a/c with the uk version, the suspension is also more suited to our roads, there incredibly reliable, not bad on petrol and are incredibly enjoyable to drive.

If you get one for €4k you'd be getting yourself a hell of a car for very little money

edit: the boot is massive too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Sorry for going OT, but all this talk of Tegs, and looking at Graham's new one, has me seriously tempted to find a cheap one for a weekender....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Where can the cheap hardtops be had?
    Prices I've seen are nearly a grand excluding fitting.

Damn, the MX-5s are so tempting!

I know you said it's off the list, but fwiw, a hardtop a few months ago cost me Eur 450.

Fitting ? ......er, like, you just pull the 4 levers........takes...........15 seconds ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    I know you said it's off the list, but fwiw, a hardtop a few months ago cost me Eur 450.

Fitting ? ......er, like, you just pull the 4 levers........takes...........15 seconds ?

Out of interest where did you get it?
    I'd be happy to fit it myself and some day when I'm in a position to have a second car I'll definitely be getting one.

I just noticed that a few of the last generation Celicas might be within budget :)

Any idea what the 1.6 Integras are like? There seem to be a good few around.

I just noticed that a few of the last generation Celicas might be within budget :)

The 140bhp Celica is well known for major engine probs, I repeat well known & major.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

RoverJames wrote: »
    The 140bhp Celica is well known for major engine probs, I repeat well known & major.

Elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

no it's not...

• Advertisement

I'd forgotten about that...
    Don't know how widespread the issue is but it's crazy that those engines can use as much as a litre of oil per 200 miles.

I'd forgotten about that...
    Don't know how widespread the issue is but it's crazy that those engines can use as much as a litre of oil per 200 miles.

Had one for 3 years and over 60,000 miles and used feck all oil. After maybe 8,000 miles after a service I may have to add a tiny bit, but it never went below the low mark on the dipstick, and in fact I can't remember it going below halfway between the high and low marks. Maybe I just bought a minded one and continued to mind it. There are more sh!theaps for sale than good ones by a factor of 5:1 if I were to guess!

steve06 wrote: »
    no it's not...

The 1.8 140bhp found in the 99 on models is, the older 1.8 found in the gen 6 is not. The chap is on about the latest Celicas, ie the Gen 7. As mentioned by one of the above posters some of them use litre of oil every 1000 Km. Well known it is, also it's acknowledged by Toyota who were changing engines on cars with full main dealer service histories even when they were years out of warrenty.

I love the no it's not reply :D

Any idea what the 1.6 Integras are like? There seem to be a good few around.

Stay away from 1.6 Integra's! If you dont want to go the whole way to the Type R search for a 1.8 Sir

Biro wrote: »
    Had one for 3 years and over 60,000 miles and used feck all oil. After maybe 8,000 miles after a service I may have to add a tiny bit, but it never went below the low mark on the dipstick, and in fact I can't remember it going below halfway between the high and low marks. Maybe I just bought a minded one and continued to mind it. There are more sh!theaps for sale than good ones by a factor of 5:1 if I were to guess!

It has little to do with how they were minded, it's a defect in the design / manufacture. I had a Celica for nearly a year (Gen 6 SS2) and used to have a peak on the Toyota Owners Club forum, the 99 to 02 140bhp 1.8s were highlighted as being disasters. There wasn't a simple fix to it either apart from a new engine in many cases.

All the doubting "experts" should have a peak here and in future put their foot in their mouth before making a numpty of themselves
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/214788/toyota_engine_woes.html

It has little to do with how they were minded, it's a defect in the design / manufacture. I had a Celica for nearly a year (Gen 6 SS2) and used to have a peak on the Toyota Owners Club forum, the 99 to 02 140bhp 1.8s were highlighted as being disasters. There wasn't a simple fix to it either apart from a new engine in many cases.

All the doubting "experts" should have a peak here and in future put their foot in their mouth before making a numpty of themselves
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/214788/toyota_engine_woes.html

The 140bhp version is not a car I would class as sporty, the 190bhp version is the one I'm more familiar with, I've never heard of such problems with them?

Toyota would tend to disagree with you, if a Celica isn't sport I wouldn't know what is to be honest. The 140bhp Gen 7 moves along quite swiftly with impeccable road manners and safe handling. Celicas, Preludes etc were always available with low power options to appeal to a wider audience than just performance junkies.

What's wrong with the 1.6 integra?
    Having trouble finding info on it so I'm not even sure if it's a vtec unit.

A lot of them were dual carb rather than injection, no VTEC in the 1.6 me thinks. I'd take one personally though if it was tidy, nice car.

Toyota would tend to disagree with you, if a Celica isn't sport I wouldn't know what is to be honest. The 140bhp Gen 7 moves along quite swiftly with impeccable road manners and safe handling. Celicas, Preludes etc were always available with low power options to appeal to a wider audience than just performance junkies.

I suppose its a comparative thing really, the 190bhp is the only version that would appeal to me whereas the 140bhp might appeal to more people who are used to the sub 100bhp vehicles are roads are full of.

Theres nothing wrong with them, there nice and reliable and are around 120bhp if I remember correctly. There known as the Dc1 whereas the 1.8 versions are known as the Dc2.

There nice enough cars, more comfortable then an Sir or Type R but nowhere near the same league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

DC1's are a dual carb sohc engine IIRC.

They're ment to have a decent bit of poke...but too refined for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

high horse wrote: »
    Just in relation to the MX5, i was under the impression that insuring a convertible was only possible with AA Ireland and they wouldn't do it for under 25's. This is what i was told a few years ago so it might have changed since then, maybe somebody here knows for sure

Mines insured with Hibernian. OP , an mx3 is based on a mazda 323 and is nothing like an mx5 to drive. Going back to the subject of insurance , if you use the car for work as opposed to commuting , do you realise that you need business cover on your policy?

Numpty? I meerly stated the undisputable fact that mine gave no problems for 3 years and up to 90,000 miles. I'm not saying that the engine is Toyota's finest, but it might not be as widespread as you think.
    And my mate had a 190. Up to 6,000rpm the performance is the same. After that to 8,500 the 190 is significantly faster, enough to take 10 seconds off the 0-100mph time from the 140 version, but in every day use there's nothing between them, as I tend not to red-line my car every day. Having said that, the only reason I didn't buy the 190 back then was they were hard to find and insurance was a problem.

Looks like my new car is on hold for the next year.

Accepted an unexpected place on a college course in Dublin and quit my job in the space of 2 days.
    Won't be getting a grant, so my new car budget will be going on accommodation instead :(

Advertisement