Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommendations on a reliable, cheap and sporty car

Options
  • 05-09-2009 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

I have 3 years no claims under my belt so I think it might be time to shed my beloved 1ltr Ibiza.

I've been looking at MX5s for a long time, but I can't get over the fear of having the roof knifed by the local scum.

Can't really go for a 2 seater as I sometimes need back seats for work.

For motor tax reasons I'm thinking 1.6 is my max, which limits my choice just a wee bit.
    Might go to 1.8 for something interesting.

Had a quick look around for MX3s but they aren't all that common and I have no experience of them.

Looking to spend 4k or under.
    Any suggestions? Or am I wasting my time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Buy the MX, and a hardtop. Problem solved. A lot of '5's have them with them at this stage, but if they don't, 500 will get you one. Less if you're lucky....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yep, reliable cheap and sporty screams MX-5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Where can the cheap hardtops be had?
    Prices I've seen are nearly a grand excluding fitting.

Damn, the MX-5s are so tempting!

Thinking about it I do need back seats for work sometimes, so the MX-5 probably isn't an option.

What else is out there that fits the bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Ford Puma maybe? Maybe you could track down an early Leon 1.8 turbo. There was a few around that were non-cupra or fr's and i've seen them go cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

a skoda octavia vrs 1.8 150 bhp you should be able to pick up a 02 for that money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Just in relation to the MX5, i was under the impression that insuring a convertible was only possible with AA Ireland and they wouldn't do it for under 25's. This is what i was told a few years ago so it might have changed since then, maybe somebody here knows for sure

EPM wrote: »
    Ford Puma maybe? Maybe you could track down an early Leon 1.8 turbo. There was a few around that were non-cupra or fr's and i've seen them go cheap

I drove a Puma a weeks ago. Nice enough drive, but it basically felt like a more cramped Fiesta.

Gonna stick with my limit of 1.6 ltr for tax reasons. The 1.4 Leon is one of the dullest cars I've ever driven. Even if the 1.8 is a lot better the tax kills it for me.

Any opinions on the Toyota Levin?
    I know they're a bit of a boy racer car but there are plenty about, so they can't all have be wrecked by imbeciles.

high horse wrote: »
    Just in relation to the MX5, i was under the impression that insuring a convertible was only possible with AA Ireland and they wouldn't do it for under 25's. This is what i was told a few years ago so it might have changed since then, maybe somebody here knows for sure

I'll be 26 by the time I actually buy it so quotes haven't really been a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

RichyX wrote: »
    Gonna stick with my limit of 1.6 ltr for tax reasons. The 1.4 Leon is one of the dullest cars I've ever driven. Even if the 1.8 is a lot better the tax kills it for me.

You do realise that the difference in tax between a 1.6 and 1.8 is only €110? You'd spend far more than that per year on drink or broadband, or even scratchcards. It's ridiculous to reject a car simply because the tax is a little more expensive.

• Advertisement

The tax difference between a 1.6 and a 1.8 is only 100 euro over 12 months, thats just over 27 cents per day. it would definately be worth it imo

If you think 100 euro per year is too much then you shouldn't buy a toyota levin, the insurance rates on these are pretty steep compared to other cars with similar sized engines

Edit: Confab got there before me!

The tax difference between a 1.6 and a 1.8 is only 100 euro over 12 months, thats just over 27 cents per day. it would definately be worth it imo

If you think 100 euro per year is too much then you shouldn't buy a toyota levin, the insurance rates on these are pretty steep compared to other cars with similar sized engines

Quinn quoted me under 700 for a Levin, not so bad.

If going for a 1.8 gives me any interesting options then I'm all ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The 1.8 gives you access to the VAG 1.8T engine... it's on everything from the Golf GTI to the A4 to the Leon to the TT. By all accounts a good engine, although if you do go for one MAKE SURE the oil has been changed very regularly.

Well I'm a year older than you and i paid 460 to insure a BMW 318is so 700 to insure the Levin seems expensive to me. My point was that you're not prepared to spend the money on road tax but you're prepared to spend more money on insurance :confused:

Confab wrote: »
    The 1.8 gives you access to the VAG 1.8T engine... it's on everything from the Golf GTI to the A4 to the Leon to the TT. By all accounts a good engine, although if you do go for one MAKE SURE the oil has been changed very regularly.

My budget is 4k.
    No TT or Leon 1.8 comes anywhere near that.

I just don't feel any sort of excitement at the thought of owning a variation of the Mk4 Golf.

Confab wrote: »

A friend of mine had a passat with the 1.8T engine. Nice car with a bit of poke but not rated as highly as the golf gti (with the same engine) for insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A friend of mine had a passat with the 1.8T engine. Nice car with a bit of poke but not rated as highly as the golf gti (with the same engine) for insurance

Aren't the Passat 1.8T models only 130bhp though?

Well I'm a year older than you and i paid 460 to insure a BMW 318is so 700 to insure the Levin seems expensive to me. My point was that you're not prepared to spend the money on road tax but you're prepared to spend more money on insurance :confused:

I'll only have 3 years NCB, so that might explain the difference.

The way I see it, the cost of insurance will come down each year (I hope), but I'm fairly confident the cost of taxing the bugger will head the other way.

Cheap fun was the whole idea behind getting the car.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Aren't the Passat 1.8T models only 130bhp though?

147bhp according to Parkers

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Summary.aspx?model=1049

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you're right, I was thinking of the 20v non turbo.

• Advertisement

I'll only have 3 years NCB, so that might explain the difference.

The way I see it, the cost of insurance will come down each year (I hope), but I'm fairly confident the cost of taxing the bugger will head the other way.

Cheap fun was the whole idea behind getting the car.

Fair enough. There are many factors that affect the price of your insurance, engine size is just one of them. A type of car that attracts boy racer types like the Levin will cost more to insure due to generally higher number of claims for that model. If a Levin is what you want, then you should get one but don't do it just because of the road tax.
    I would like to have a go in a supercharged levin though, I hear they're quite fast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I have 3 years no claims under my belt so I think it might be time to shed my beloved 1ltr Ibiza.

I've been looking at MX5s for a long time, but I can't get over the fear of having the roof knifed by the local scum.

For motor tax reasons I'm thinking 1.6 is my max, which limits my choice just a wee bit.

Had a quick look around for MX3s but they aren't all that common and I have no experience of them.

Looking to spend 4k or under.
    Any suggestions? Or am I wasting my time?

I bought a Teg type r recently, you'd get one inside your budget.

Most fun i've ever had driving, but its a 1.8.

Im 22 with 3 tears NCB, try find a nice euro model, and it'd be handier to insure

If a Levin is what you want, then you should get one but don't do it just because of the road tax.
    I would like to have a go in a supercharged levin though, I hear they're quite fast

I don't know anyone whose driven a Levin so I was interested in getting any opinions on them.

Just had a brainwave now.
    I know the thread title includes "reliable", but an Alfa 147 seems to fit the bill in every other way.
    I've driven the 145 1.6 and loved the engine.
    Haven't had a go in a 147 yet. Sat into a GTA at a dealer once, but I was too scared to take it for a spin!

Well I'm a year older than you and i paid 460 to insure a BMW 318is so 700 to insure the Levin seems expensive to me.

A Levin is a performance car, a 318 isn't, quite simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Increase your engine size to 1.8 and get a UKDM Integra Type R.

Drive it, you'll love it.

Uk spec is much easier to insure than the Jap equivalent.

You should get a 98 one for €4k at this stage

2B76B2BE74B04D27A30E8DC561F3363F-500.jpg

draffodx wrote: »

You should get a 98 one for €4k at this stage

2B76B2BE74B04D27A30E8DC561F3363F-500.jpg

Reckon it would be a right crate for €4K to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

The tax difference between a 1.6 and a 1.8 is only 100 euro over 12 months, thats just over 27 cents per day. it would definately be worth it

+1

you have the typical Irish attitude of refusing to pay an extra few euro to give you a much better choice of car. This why the poverty spec 1.4 foucus and golf is so popular here. If you really want something a bit more fun to drive then accept the fact you'll have to cough up a bit more on tax. The insurance hike to the mx5 will be a lot more than the jump in tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

RoverJames wrote: »
    I got one recently with FSH, 90k on the clock, spotless car for around that price

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

RoverJames wrote: »

There not as popular here as the UK so it could be hard finding one but there hard to sell here so with a bit of bargaining you could get one within your price range.

If you managed to get insurance on a jap import then you'd get a 96 spec one for that money without any trouble

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »
    you have the typical Irish attitude of refusing to pay an extra few euro to give you a much better choice of car. This why the poverty spec 1.4 foucus and golf is so popular here. If you really want something a bit more fun to drive then accept the fact you'll have to cough up a bit more on tax. The insurance hike to the mx5 will be a lot more than the jump in tax.

As I said, cheap fun.
    I'm open to a 1.8 if it gives me any decent options.

I like Integras, but I've heard they're a bit rubbish for commuting due to lack of sound insulation. The image is a little boy racerish for my tastes, but if I can find one locally I'll give it a try.

Still liking the idea of a 147 1.6.

Advertisement