Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon - has debates on boards changed your mind?

Options
  • 05-09-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

There are tons of threads with lots of arguments for and against Lisbon.
    But has your opinion been swayed by the discussions here or do we just rehash the same arguments all over and no-one budges?

If so can you point to the post/thread that made you change your mind?

Has it? 41 votes

Was Yes, now No
    0% 0 votes
    Was No, now Yes
    48% 20 votes
    Wasn't sure but boards helped me make my mind up, thanks Boards!
    17% 7 votes
    Meh, I don't care (Atari)
    34% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Where's the no it didn't option?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Tbh i have deliberately avoided the lisbon debates on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Not the debate on AH anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Where's the no it didn't option?

This poll is like Lisbon 3 - there will only be one option, yes

a bit like Mugabe's election

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

To be fair, Terry's post is very helpful

Without it we'd all just be wandering about like zombies with our polling cards, and booking flights to Portugal

He really outlined well what voting on something means, we'd never get by without such advice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

tbh, I was inkling towards a yes vote.
    If it wasn't for boards and it's pathetic pro lisbon agenda then I might be still.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dankoozy wrote: »
    This poll is like Lisbon 3 - there will only be one option, yes

a bit like Mugabe's election

Posts like that change my mind!

I would have been Yes leaning anyway and had a few questions about it the last time.

Taxation was my main worry the last time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

If you are still unsure, Vote NO.

"Better the devil you know than the one that you dont".

Would abstaining from the vote not be a better option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I was undecided, maybe leaning a little bit towards the "no" side, but the threads on Boards (amongst many other sites and articles) helped me make up my mind to vote yes!

Futurism wrote: »

Nah, that would be Neutral. No good to No campaigners then.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

That's a bit like saying "If you don't know what party to vote for vote for fianna fáil, sure at least we know what they're like"

And its that kind of stubborn thinking that's left us stuck with them for way too long.

Honestly people there is enough unbiased information out there to make an informed decision, instead of voting whatever way just for stupid non-existent reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Was no, will be no again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Futurism wrote: »
    Absolutly not, and give away our freedom and rights to any future referendums. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

i was always going to vote no, and the semi-true (at best) arguments of the yes campaigners here wouldnt change me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Was a No and after seeing the debates from the Pro-Lisbon mods of the Politics section, l'm a definite No.

Absolutly not, and give away our freedom and rights to any future referendums. :eek:

You have been told that this isn't true. People have quoted you the text in the Treaty saying it isn't true.

You know it isn't true, but you still insist on peddling it.

If I was an undecided voter, this type of stuff would make me a Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

K-9 wrote: »
    You have been told that this isn't true. People have quoted you the text in the Treaty saying it isn't true.

You know it isn't true, but you still insist on peddling it.

If I was an undecided voter, this type of stuff would make me a Yes.

I still wouldn't trust it as far as i would throw it, the treaty document is far too complex for the lay man, its also full of holes just like a lump of Swiss cheese.

No doubt once its passed amendment after amendment will be made by these aggressive foreign dictators to the worse and we will be able to do jack sh*t about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I still wouldn't trust it as far as i would throw it

So you admit that you told a lie about this being the last referendum?

I still wouldn't trust it as far as i would throw it, the treaty document is far too complex for the lay man, its also full of holes just like a lump of Swiss cheese.

No doubt once its passed amendment after amendment will be made by these aggressive foreign dictators to the worse and we will be able to do jack sh*t about it.

Your sig is more crap.

LOL, Spain voting Yes to a Constitution that never came into law couldn't possibly cause unemployment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

The treaty is too complex for the lay man...
    Very few legal documents, particularly treaties, are easy enough for any farmer to pick up and understand, did you want a picture book?

There are tons of places you can go to find out about what's actually in the treaty in plain English.

As for your sig, Ireland voted no, unemployment soared.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH. You are now under the remit of the EU forum rules. Please read the charter here before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 AuRevoir

No my mind has definitely not been swayed by the pro lisbon mods of boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I don't know why I'm bothering but...

Please prove, with reference to the treaty, how Lisbon will take away "our freedom and rights to any future referendums."

Out of sheer morbid curiosity, which EU countries do you believe are dictatorships? And what reason is there to believe that any amendments made will be detrimental to the individual EU countries? More importantly, why would EU members want to pass legislation which was harmful to themselves?

I thought one of the rules of this forum was that you had to back up your claims?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Oh, and incidentally... The Lisbon debates round here did help me make my mind up the first time round, although I was kind of on the fence anyway, leaning toward a yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

gerky wrote: »
    That's a bit like saying "If you don't know what party to vote for vote for fianna fáil, sure at least we know what they're like"

And its that kind of stubborn thinking that's left us stuck with them for way too long.

Honestly people there is enough unbiased information out there to make an informed decision, instead of voting whatever way just for stupid non-existent reasons.

Well - once the treaty is passed, it's a done deal and cannot be reversed. So if they are unsure of the implications of it - why should they pass an irreversible treaty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

dlofnep wrote: »
    So if they are unsure of the implications of it - why should they pass an irreversible treaty?
    They're just as unsure of the implications of a no vote.

Also as said above, if they haven't bothered to learn after 18 months it's not a matter of not having enough info. yet, it's widely available, they simply aren't bothered opening their eyes and another 6 months/1 year/decade won't change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

Just don't vote.

Your reasoning would just the same by voting yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

SV wrote: »
    tbh, I was inkling towards a yes vote.
    If it wasn't for boards and it's pathetic pro lisbon agenda then I might be still.

Maybe people who have kept an open mind and read a lot about the treaty agree with it. You know they like it because it's actually good for Ireland.

I see the peddled No line of the day is the Mods are all blind Yes voters. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

It a legal document, you don't need to trust it, you can just read it. Which you openly admit to not doing.

You know that a lot of what you say isn't true and you still keep saying it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement