Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My Car Was Sold Without My Permission

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'm going to close this thread temporarily pending legal advice.

BRB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Thread reopened.

Details of the garage in question removed based on legal advice received.

I'll leave the thread open so people can share their opinions and so the OP can keep us updated, but if anyone names the garage or person in question again I'll lock immediately and ban the poster in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

OP, do you still have a Spare Key for this car in Question?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

galwaytt wrote: »
    ..doesn't matter. If you "buy" something from someone who doesn't own it.......you haven't bought it at all.......it remains the property of the original person.

On the other hand, I have this for sale, will take best offer ;)

I know, I'm not suggesting the current 'owner' should keep the car, I'm just pointing out he or she is in for a shock, and may even turn up on here looking for advice.

Unless of course the dealer signed it over and whispered 'it's not really mine to sell, but you have the paperwork now so you'll be grand' *wink*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Is the car currently classified as stolen by the Guards?

Do the Guards know the address of the person who the car was mis-sold to?

If they dont know where it is and if it is now classified as stolen, hopefully the ANPR cameras will locate it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Westhub

Whatever he did and however he sold my car without notyfing myself in any way, paperwork was filled and signed by unallowed person - and that is crime in this case. Gardai agreed with me in this point. Whatever they will do now, i have no other way, just to trust them - hopefully they will take the car off the road and seal it on the Garda parking place. They know all details of current owner and they have meeting today in relation to that case.

On the other side, there will be really shock for the guy who owns my car at the moment, but for Christ love - i cannot be responsible for other peopple. It could be as well, that this person will come to me with an offer and pay 2nd time for the car to keep it(of course if he will have that cash) - later it is to be his thing to chase him - that is what my solicitor is suggesting. What are You thinking about that kind of solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

just out of curiousity what car was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Westhub - I know you're angry, and rightly so - but do not mention his name again.

it is 2003 Mazda 6, so nice car...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

This may not be as clear cut as it appears regarding the current ownership. The op gave his car to the garage to sell, it was not stolen. The Garage may well have been within their rights to sell the car.

The person I have most sympathy for in this instance is the guy that purchased the car. The op should go after the Garage/liquidator to get his money , not the other innocent victim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The Muppet wrote: »
    This may not be as clear cut as it appears regarding the current ownership. The op gave his car to the garage to sell, it was not stolen. The Garage may well have been within their rights to sell the car.

The person I have most sympathy for in this instance is the guy that purchased the car. The op should go after the Garage/liquidator to get his money , not the other innocent victim.

It doesnt work that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Jumpy wrote: »
    It doesnt work that way.

Does it not? anytime I have purchased a used car from a garage the garage has signed the book not the previous registered owner. I think its not as clear cut as some think, The garda would just seize the car if it were. Even the ops solicitor said there was a "chance of getting the car back" that doesn't sound too convincing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Disgusting behaviour. I feel sorry for you and the guy who bought the car. He is going to be out of money. I hope you find the scumbag responsible for this.

Does it not? anytime I have purchased a used car from a garage the garage has signed the book not the previous registered owner. I think its not as clear cut as some think, The garda would just seize the car if it were. Even the ops solicitor said there was a "chance of getting the car back" that doesn't sound too convincing.

It does'nt apply here as the delaer was NOT the owner of the car (it wes not his own stock as such).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Hold up, the OP gave his car to a "dealer" to sell for him. The "Dealer" sells the car but the OP doesn't get his money from the sale. Ok there is the fradulent signature from the "Dealer" to sell the car. He may have needed to sign the VLC to get the car sold quickley, many on here would want to see the vlc when buying a car and want it posted ASAP for insurance taxing etc. I think the car may just stay with the "new owner", with the OP having to chase the "Dealer" as an unpaid creditor, to which I am sorry to say I don't hold much hope for.

OP, good luck getting this resolved to your satisfaction ASAP.

OldmanMondeo, that is not the case. The law says clearly, sign of current owner, also myself must be on log book last page. This was falsed by the garage owner, no notification of sale...that is crime here, what even Gardai confirmed. Illegal sale is nothing else than stealing the car. It is up to buer to be sure what and from whom he is buying - that is my understanding. We just stop predicting and wait what Gardai will say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Kartale

Can the dealer not just say that he did pay OP cash for car and therefore has VLC. Word against word and all that?
    Dealer would only need to send off RF105 to transfer to his garage: http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,493,en.pdf
    Sounds like a nightmare, i dont think OP will ever see his money again, unless some Garda takes pity & puts pressure on dealer.
    RF105 still needs owners sig thou. so not sure, Good luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I just sold my car to a dealer. You fill in a form which you then send to the Dept of the Environment. It lists the car in their name.

My car was never transfered to garage. Last registered owner of it it is me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Westhub wrote: »
    OldmanMondeo, that is not the case. The law says clearly, sign of current owner, also myself must be on log book last page. This was falsed by the garage owner, no notification of sale...that is crime here, what even Gardai confirmed. Illegal sale is nothing else than stealing the car. It is up to buer to be sure what and from whom he is buying - that is my understanding. We just stop predicting and wait what Gardai will say.

From buying and trading cars for myself, not dealer, I have in the past forgot to sign the VLC on change over, so technically all these cars I have not signed over are still mine? Sometimes I have seen the dealer sign the VLC, TBH if a pre-signed VLC was handed to me it would make no difference, unless the previous owner was there on handover with ID it could have been signed by the pope.

My man point is that I can see where the "difficulties" would be in this case, but I do hope that it works in both your favour and the guy who now has the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

To be honest, you've made your point and you've said the cops are on the case. Dragging it out over an internet forum isn't going to speed it up or help any legal battles down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Westhub wrote: »
    My car was never transfered to garage. Last registered owner of it it is me.

fwiw...garages never appear on the VLC. Yes, the dept is notified when you trade with a garage, but their name is never recorded as being an 'owner'.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bmw m5

contact me inchmoto@hotmail.com
    i have all the info u need....

bmw m5 wrote: »
    contact me inchmoto@hotmail.com
    i have all the info u need....

looks like a good lead........tell us whats going on Westhub?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Getting interesting now

popcorn.gif

Good luck OP !