Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My Car Was Sold Without My Permission

Options
  • 04-09-2009 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all,
    i have very serious issue with <snip>a garage</snip> at the moment. I gave my car to <snip>a guy</snip> (one of the owners). Now it seems <snip>the garage</snip> is no more existing, my car is gone, i got no money from them, no phones are working. Talked to Gards already, but if anybody has any information what is going on with that company, please inform me. Preciate all contacts - is very important. Thank You very much.
    Westhub

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Post split from thread and moved to Motors

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Wow. That sounds fairly serious.

Why exactly did you give them the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Westhub

i left country, and moved to Switzerland. I couldnt stay and sell it myself. I bought a car from <snip>the guy</snip> ealier, and he seemed to be serious Car Seller. So i asked him for help.
    I gave him my car on 09.06.2009 with unfilled logbook, to be sold. i have signed and stamped ivoice from him. As per Revenue, car was sold on 04.08.2009 to a male in Dublin - they did not give any details more to Myself on the phone.
    Any contact with <snip>the guy</snip> from <snip>the garage</snip> broke up about month ago and <snip>the garage</snip> seems to be closed up, but they are still registered. Anyway, Gardai are chasing after that case, and my Solicitor is doing whatever he can.
    If somebody could help me in any way please, it would be very appreciated.
    Thank You All for Your help
    Hubert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Thats shocking, and people wonder why there is a rather jaundiced view of the motor trade here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Well, sounds like you have it in hand, hope it works out for you.
    Have to considered hiring a PI to track this fcuker down and then give the details to the guards?

• Advertisement

Thats shocking, and people wonder why there is a rather jaundiced view of the motor trade here?

Now now, no need to tar us all with the one brush!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Its [EMAIL="f@ck3rs"]f@ck3rs[/EMAIL] like that who give the trade its bad reputation. Really sorry to hear about that OP. Hope it all works out. PS We're not all like that.

OP, just thinking, it wont be hard to track down the whereabouts of your car now. With a small bit of info, even I could get the registered name and address.

The real problem here is tracking down the owners of the garage. They could be anywhere, along with your money!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Now now, no need to tar us all with the one brush!

out of the trade myself now... but unfortuantely its stunts like this that are coming more and more to light and the few (and I stress the few) bad apples are giving the whole trade a rotten name... its close to being classed as bad as banks at the moment..

His name could be <snip>spelled several ways</snip>...cant really remember, anyway...:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

I found <snip>another thread</snip> in the consumer section of boards
    <snip>
    Very intersting - about the same company I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

OP (or anyone else), do you know have <snip>the garage</snip> gone bust or did they just p*ss off?

If they just shut their doors and p*ssed off with your car, you're right to chase the people who owned the garage via a solicitor.
    If they've gone bust then more than likely you'll have to try and get your car back via the liquidator and the courts.

It's an important distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Can the OP not just report the car as stolen and let the gardai take it from who ever purchased it.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

-Chris- wrote: »
    OP (or anyone else), do you know have <snip>the garage</snip> gone bust or did they just p*ss off?

If they just shut their doors and p*ssed off with your car, you're right to chase the people who owned the garage via a solicitor.
    If they've gone bust then more than likely you'll have to try and get your car back via the liquidator and the courts.

It's an important distinction.

They were originally further up <snip>the</snip> Road, they vanished for a few years and they then moved into <snip>another garage's</snip> old building, opposite <snip>a business</snip>, though only for a few months and gone again so I wouldn't be surprised if they did piss off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

dingding wrote: »
    Can the OP not just report the car as stolen and let the gardai take it from who ever purchased it.

Sorry for your trouble OP but it doesn't look good to be honest, the Gardai will turn around and say to you the fact that you gave the dealer the paperwork with the car it's a civil matter and not a stolen car so they'll have no more interest in the case and if the garage is gone bust that's it. I had a similar thing happen to me a year or so ago, the guy who caught me signs him self in and out of the nut house whenever suits him.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Westhub wrote: »
    i left country, and moved to Switzerland. I couldnt stay and sell it myself

You're not Derek Quinlan by chance? I think NAMA wants to catch up with you soon...;)

Ho, Paddy, i am not.
    So, Gardai with my solicitor are investigating the case...the car was sold illegaly, because before <snip>the garage</snip> was to sell the car, i should be notified and sign personally the paperwork. <snip>The Guy</snip>, that is his correct name, falsed my sign and sold the car illegaly - current owner should not buy car without my acceptance. My solicitor says, in this case there is chance to get the car back from the current owner...i do not know if Gardai already took the car of the him and sealed in the yard.
    Anyway,
    <snip>the garage</snip> were previously in Finglas and were called <snip>a different name</snip>...will be disaster...once i get him, that <snip>guy</snip>, i will break his neck in a second.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

If you didnt sign the log book, and did not consent to the sale of the car to the new owner then it has to be classed as theft.

Make a complaint to the cops along those lines. They will be able to trace the car as it was registered and then you should get your car back. It will be a loss to the new owner that they bought a car from a guy who didnt own it.

Just remember that you gave the garage the car to display it and find you a buyer. You did not consent to a sale.

Thats theft and they have to get it back for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

Assuming that <snip>the garage</snip> or <snip>their previous incarnation</snip> or whatever they are called are registered companies with the Companies Registration Office (CRO) it shouldnt be too hard to track your man down. If they are just trading names of a holding company you can so a business names search to get the holding company's name.

You can do a directors search under the name <snip>of the guy</snip> and find his last registered home address, if he's not a director of the companies and is say a sales man you could then get the company's annual return (it's called a B1) which would the names and addresses of all shareholders and directors of the company.

thank You guys,
    that is exactly, as You say. Gardai are doing their job. And last adress of Mr. Wiseguy <snip>guy</snip> is known to myself and Gardai.
    We'll see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Did a search on www.cro.ie

<snip>name and address of the company in question</snip>

You can get company printout for 3.50.

Follow up with new owner if possible - at the very least to confirm price paid. Don't see how you could take car off him as you signed VRC. It hasn't been stolen - it's just that you're owed money from sale?

I dont think he did sign the VLC, but maybe i'm wrong on that one.

No, i did not signed the log book - ownership change details. <snip>The guy</snip> falsed my sign: that is point, where the crime begins and i can require Gardai to get the car off current owner - illegal sale - but it is not that easy. The thing was, he supposed to notyfie me, that the car is to be sold now and i should go to ireland and sign that paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

My misunderstanding - chase him down - good luck

Westhub wrote: »
    No, i did not signed the log book - ownership change details. <snip>The guy</snip> falsed my sign: that is point, where the crime begins and i can require Gardai to get the car off current owner - illegal sale - but it is not that easy. The thing was, he supposed to notyfie me, that the car is to be sold now and i should go to ireland and sign that paperwork.

In that case then, have the car taken back into your posession,repo style.
    Then apply for a copy ownership doc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

In that case then, have the car taken back into your posession,repo style.
    Then apply for a copy ownership doc ?

Looking forward to the 'car bought through dealer repo'd, where do I stand?' thread already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

JustinOval wrote: »
    Looking forward to the 'car bought through dealer repo'd, where do I stand?' thread already.

..doesn't matter. If you "buy" something from someone who doesn't own it.......you haven't bought it at all.......it remains the property of the original person.

On the other hand, I have this for sale, will take best offer ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

galwaytt wrote: »
    ..doesn't matter. If you "buy" something from someone who doesn't own it.......you haven't bought it at all.......it remains the property of the original person.
    +1

Fairly straightforward or am I missing something? It was your car, you didnt sell it so the lad who has it now does NOT own it. Cops should be chasing down the guy that has your car, not neccessarily this garage guy. Ultimately the guy who bought the car from him is the guy thats going to be out of pocket as he will have got zip all for his money.

Cops should be knocking on the door of the chap who has your car now and driving it away.Whats the delay :confused:

Sizzler wrote: »
    +1

Fairly straightforward or am I missing something? It was your car, you didnt sell it so the lad who has it now does NOT own it. Cops should be chasing down the guy that has your car, not neccessarily this garage guy. Ultimately the guy who bought the car from him is the guy thats going to be out of pocket as he will have got zip all for his money.

Cops should be knocking on the door of the chap who has your car now and driving it away.Whats the delay :confused:

+1

But the cops will view this as a civil matter.
    However, the car still legally belongs to you OP.
    I'd hire a hire tow truck and get that car back in my posession as to be honest, you're NEVER going to get it back any other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

+1

But the cops will view this as a civil matter.
    However, the car still legally belongs to you OP.
    I'd hire a hire tow truck and get that car back in my posession as to be honest, you're NEVER going to get it back any other way.
    Not neccessarily, if you get a decent copper on board he'll sort it.

Know a lad who bought a car recently and got a knock to say that it was stolen and the car was driven away there and then by the guards. Slightly more serious but still same principle applies, i.e. the car still belongs to the OP!

Advertisement