Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nervous about starting college?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 cGirl

:D

oh it sure has!!

i no it has to be the last college back its ridiculous..and my orientaion isnt until the 18th!!they couldnt have dragged it out anymore for me:(
    I win. I don't start until the 28th. I've got another three weeks to go while all my friends head off to college, leaving me here on my lonesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Jay P wrote: »
    NUIG and GMIT are the 14th also.
    GMIT started today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

NUIG and GMIT are the 14th also.

Nah GMIT is today the 7th, NUIG is the 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Oh right, I was under the impression from my friend that it was next week. Woopsie :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

cGirl wrote: »
    I win. I don't start until the 28th. I've got another three weeks to go while all my friends head off to college, leaving me here on my lonesome.

yikes were are you headed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 cGirl

yikes were are you headed?
    RCSI. I'm not really all that bothered that we don't start til later though, because I figure once I start the course I'll be begging for time off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Hurry up 21st September!! Damn DCU starting so late :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Saul-Good wrote: »
    Nah GMIT is today the 7th, NUIG is the 14th.
    The orientation day for NUIG is on the 12th.So we really start then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

After becoming impatient during the last week of Summer, I wish I had it back. Getting up early is not fun. The spare hours of the day seem so few. :(

I have skillfully managed to not have a conversation with anybody so far. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

andyman wrote: »
    Hurry up 21st September!! Damn DCU starting so late :mad:

Ye cant wait to start meself !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

3 days in....really good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

im really excited but im bricking it at the same time im really worried that i wont fit in at all and that noone will want to be my friend and that like id hate my course and ill never settle in at all :( i think im being a bit pessimistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

im really excited but im bricking it at the same time im really worried that i wont fit in at all and that noone will want to be my friend and that like id hate my course and ill never settle in at all :( i think im being a bit pessimistic
    Just a bit

ya slightly pessimistic alright:D
    where u going to college?

go in wearing a pikachu costume anyone who is in any way cool will be attracted to it:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Had Orentation Today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

ya slightly pessimistic alright:D
    where u going to college?

go in wearing a pikachu costume anyone who is in any way cool will be attracted to it:D:D

mater dei so its a small enough college

i love pikachu ill be the coolest person there ...... i like it hehehe:D

mater dei so its a small enough college

i love pikachu ill be the coolest person there ...... i like it hehehe:D

aw cool!!
    ya pikachu's awesome:D they will be coming for near and far to see you ha

oh and Jenniebabz how'd orientation go??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

aw cool!!
    ya pikachu's awesome:D they will be coming for near and far to see you ha

oh and Jenniebabz how'd orientation go??

It was fine, you get lots of info and our co ordinaters were very friendly

cool!i have to wait till the 18th for mine:(:(curses on you ucc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Yeah yeah yeah......

what free stuff did you get?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

K4t wrote: »
    Yeah yeah yeah......

what free stuff did you get?:pac:

When I started in UCD I got some epic free stuff.
    Chocolate flavoured condoms, loaves of bread, pot noodles, tampons, moisturiser, 100000 pens, and other crap I don't need.
    (Apart from the condoms, which were essential.. :P)

Can't wait to start Trinners now. More free crap!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

bythewoods wrote: »
    When I started in UCD I got some epic free stuff.
    Chocolate flavoured condoms, loaves of bread, pot noodles, tampons, moisturiser, 100000 pens, and other crap I don't need.
    (Apart from the condoms, which were essential.. :P)

Can't wait to start Trinners now. More free crap!! :D

Chocolate flavoured?! If you have to play some kind of "here, look, it tastes like chocolate!" line... :p

I still have six days before I start :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Had no lectures today, intended on coming in to the library and getting some work done, spent all day sorting out the labs in work (I have, after maybe 8 hours work, got about 1% of the work done), and now am in the library, cant see myself getting out anytime soon either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Hey everyone. Chris/Gloom here. :pac:
    (gonna reply before I read through anyone's post and I have a lot to post so be warned)

I'm from a small town in Waterford called Lismore. I am off to attend TCD.

"Nervous about starting college?"
    To be honest, yeah, I'm pretty nervous about starting college. I think it's going to be a complete 180 from the norm. I'm so used to getting up at 7:30am, heading into school, meeting my friends who I've known since Playschool (hellz yeah, those were the days), finishing, going home and having my dinner. I was comfortable and had a routine. 6th year came and went. I saw my friends depart for college as I chose to repeat as I wasn't satisfied with myself. I repeated in the same public school so it wasn't a major change unlike some others who repeat in completely new surroundings.

Now, things are changing completely. I'm off to Trinity on my own. 90% of my friends went to Cork, Waterford or Limerick. I only know of 3 or 4 who are at UCD and DCU. None at TCD. Now, it's easy to say that "ah sure, just come home at the weekends!" Due to my financial position (no grant, single parent, reduced income) coming home will not be "possible" unless I want to "waste" money. (which could be used on food/living).

Friends have told me to join them in Cork. But I never wanted to. I see that most of them never branched out, were always together and the usual cliche of "High school never ends" I wanted to be free and on my own.

However, all through last year in school, what got me through repeating was the thought of living a new independant life and being happy with myself. No regrets.

:o

tl;dr

I'm nervous because I'll be on my own. But I'm also excited because I'm on my own. If that makes sense.

I still have six days before I start :(

I have 10... actually can't beileive hpow close I am to startin college !!!!

Gloom wrote: »
    Hey everyone. Chris/Gloom here. :pac:
    (gonna reply before I read through anyone's post and I have a lot to post so be warned)

I'm from a small town in Waterford called Lismore. I am off to attend TCD.

I'm nervous because I'll be on my own. But I'm also excited because I'm on my own. If that makes sense.

Ye that makes sense... What coures u doin ??

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Ancient & Medieval History and Culture. I'm a huge fan of galleries and stuff.
    I was set on doing a health science course when History took it's toll on me. I was always interested in History, however more of the Older stuff than "recent" (1916) and all that. Plus, I'm really into art history, society, and culture and the course covers it. All in all a perfect course for me. :) Don't see many jobs for it unless I can BS what I learned. I just tell people I'm doing History. :D

15 people in the course, so small enough. :)

After going through all the post from Trinity though, I'm more excited about college life than education at all. How 'bout yourself?

A Trinity Boards Night would be good, I think. :D Or even a night out for all Dublin colleges.

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    I have 10... actually can't beileive hpow close I am to startin college !!!!

Well I suppose I'm technically starting in ten days as well. I've orientation next thursday and then lectures are the next Monday. Feckin summer has gotten seriously boring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Gloom wrote: »
    A Trinity Boards Night would be good, I think. :D Or even a night out for all Dublin colleges.

I think this url]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055675349[/url might be what you're looking for! :)

I was really nervous starting, but it was fine! Just finished my first full week and it feels like I've been there for all eternity! :)

Advertisement