Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nervous about starting college?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

I know a lot of people on this board are just about to start college, what feelings are you all going through? Currently I'm very anxious to just start college as I'm really looking forward to it. My summer is well and truely over so I just want to start now instead of two weeks of nothing!

Although the night before and the bus journey into college for the first time I will most likely be a nervous wreck with thoughts of ''What if they don't like me circulating through my head'':pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I can tell you that you're not alone. I had a great summer and now I'm thinking mostly about starting in Trinity on the 21st. I'm nervous as well even though I know people who will be in different faculties in there. However I'm interested in meeting people, but it will take me a little while to settle and ditch the shyness. As long as people are sound and friendly, then I shouldn't have any problems. I'm also excited about my course as it was my first choice and I'm also wondering what clubs/socieities will I end up joining.

When are you starting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Ye I cant wait not really nervous tho... Altho I'm helped cause I know someone doin the same course as me... sick at home tho jus want to start... UCD is bac and a lot of my friends go der so I'm jus at home on my own!

Had a great summer tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

At the moment what I'm most worried about is money. I couldn't find a job anywhere this summer so I'll be spending my life savings to get myself through the year.

But at the same time I'd say when it comes to moving into my apartment and actually going to lectures and stuff, money will take a back seat to the usual "What if I make no friends?" type insecurities

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm really excited! At the moment I'm doing nothing but sitting around so I can't wait for college to start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

I'm practically sitting on my hands to stop myself, I'm not starting college until next week and I really can't wait! I've been out to my college twice in the last 3 days, did my bus and rail journey today to get a feeling for it and to make sure I don't get lost next Wednesday. We did a bit of a tour and I'm really loving the tiny campus. I probably shouldn't have, since its just making me more anxious to get going!

• Advertisement

I'm not so much nervous as I am anxious. These last few days are driving me mad with boredom; all of my friends are gone back to college and I don't start for nearly three weeks yet, so I'm looking forward to having something to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I was really looking forward to it until about 5 minutes ago. I went to the DCU forum and someone a year ahead of me (just finished first year of my course) saw what apartment number I had and told me to "flip the mattress. trust me"...

I'm now quite scared to move in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The first day of college is an interesting experience. Strange. Even if you're quite familiar with the campus you're going to be on, you'll find there seems to be so much more to it than you thought. You'll soon find little places you like and get an idea of where everything is. With regard to people, just remember that most people are happy to meet others. I run one of Trinity's biggest sports clubs and every year we see people tentatively trying to get to know one another. Everybody's nervous. Anyone who isn't is probably a cocksure tosser anyway, assuming they're not lying through their teeth. It can be quite a cold place, and lonely, so it's worth throwing yourself into clubs and societies, find outlets you never had access to before and get to know as many people as you can. It'll make the whole experience a lot more fun. It's also exceptionally rewarding in terms of personal development. It's worth being active within a club or society in terms of the experience it'll give you, and it looks good on a CV if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Can't wait to go back. Only three days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Freshers week on 21st.
    Alternating between nervous and excited.
    Also not trying to build it up too much in my head so it wont be an anti-climax.

Who knows, maybe swine flu will get worse and we won't be starting at all... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 cGirl

I don't know. Most of the time I'm excited, but then I get these bursts of panic, like, oh god, I'm not going to make any friends, they'll all think I'm a twat.
    Then it goes away....and then comes back...repeat the process....

Does anyone know what colleges have already started back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

Freshers week on 21st.
    Alternating between nervous and excited.
    Also not trying to build it up too much in my head so it wont be an anti-climax.

:rolleyes:

ha same
    deep down you no its going to be epic though:D

ha same
    deep down you no its going to be epic though:D

well, yeah. :D
    Its a little hard to believe that my 3 months of doing exactly nothing will be coming to an end though. About time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

More impatient than nervous. Countdown to the 18th is excruciating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Impatience, fact. Man, stupid UCC starting so late! :( I just wanna do some maths! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I'm not so much nervous as I am anxious. These last few days are driving me mad with boredom; all of my friends are gone back to college and I don't start for nearly three weeks yet, so I'm looking forward to having something to do.
    HAHA ye this is exactly how I feel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Yeh a lot of my friends are off to UCD and they are having great craic as freshers all while I'm sitting at home bored and waiting to start:pac:

Yeh a lot of my friends are off to UCD and they are having great craic as freshers all while I'm sitting at home bored and waiting to start:pac:

im the same:(:(have to wait till the 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

was in NUIG for the HEAR grant orientation and we had to stay there a few nights, tbh i was really looking forward to starting, was sure i'd be grant because i generally dont have any problemos talking to people, but i found it all a bit overwhelming... like i just didnt want to talk to anybody, i automatically thought everybody was a prat (mainly because i just hated how strange everything was and didnt like it because everything is going pretty perfect atm so not liking any change) and just wanted familiarities like my friends and my school ect. so now, im not looking forward to college too much.. i want my school and my friends and normality back:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

was in NUIG for the HEAR grant orientation and we had to stay there a few nights, tbh i was really looking forward to starting, was sure i'd be grant because i generally dont have any problemos talking to people, but i found it all a bit overwhelming... like i just didnt want to talk to anybody, i automatically thought everybody was a prat (mainly because i just hated how strange everything was and didnt like it because everything is going pretty perfect atm so not liking any change) and just wanted familiarities like my friends and my school ect. so now, im not looking forward to college too much.. i want my school and my friends and normality back:(

I'm kind of the same. I'm sooo nervous and anixous about starting. I'm in for orentation on thursday, been in and out for interviews and reg. I made friends with two students in my new class. But still majorly scared. Everything is so different. I want my old safe school back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

This forum just about epitomises everything that I'm currently feeling :(

I'm looking forward to starting, just for something to do, and because I feel ready to move on. But I'm so nervous that I won't meet new people... Didn't get into Halls, so scared that I won't get on with whoever I'm living with :eek:

Overall,absolutely terrified, but I reeeally hope that I'll love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Listen everyones in the same boat chances are that their won't be hoards of friends in the same course, you ll meet loads of people that know no on one at the college. It's simple don't sit on your on own and say hi to the person beside you i bet you that you ll get a convo going no bother.

I was just reading a thread on the TCD forum about cheap places to shop near trinity halls, made everything seem way more real...
    Despite the fact that it was completely irrelevant to me as I'm living at home.
    In 6th year I was thinking of my course all the time and how much I wanted to do it, but recently all I've been thinking about is societies and meeting new people and stuff. I thought of my course earlier and was like "oh yeah, I forgot I was actually doing that". Societies FTW.
    2 weeks to go

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Bring it on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I'm not really a party/drinking person - to me this means 99% of college student are going to avoid me ...meh.
    Apart from the i'm looking forward it

Noodleworm wrote: »
    I'm not really a party/drinking person - to me this means 99% of college student are going to avoid me ...meh.
    Apart from the i'm looking forward it

well if you can drive you will be a god send!!a sober driver wooo..i like you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

well if you can drive you will be a god send!!a sober driver wooo..i like you:D

LOL :D

I'm the same as most here,Can't wait to actually do something though it's been a long summer :eek:

And bloody UCC aren't starting for a while yet..

Ricky91t wrote: »
    LOL :D

I'm the same as most here,Can't wait to actually do something though it's been a long summer :eek:

And bloody UCC aren't starting for a while yet..
    :D

oh it sure has!!

i no it has to be the last college back its ridiculous..and my orientaion isnt until the 18th!!they couldnt have dragged it out anymore for me:(

still it will be epic ha

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

cGirl wrote: »
    Does anyone know what colleges have already started back?

open to correction but....

Mary I / UL / UCD - 7th september

CIT / LIT - 14th september

UCC (!):D / Trinity -21st september

and i am not sure of the rest.. hope this helps!

also to icoming first years, dont be too worried eveyone us extremely friendly in the intial weeks, beacue you are all on the same boat. just relax and enjoy it, friends will come easily then! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

open to correction but....

Mary I / UL / UCD - 7th september

CIT / LIT - 14th september

UCC (!):D / Trinity -21st september

and i am not sure of the rest.. hope this helps!

NUIG and GMIT are the 14th also.

Advertisement