Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First day of college.....anyone terrified? *Account of first day*

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

where are you in college out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

I'm going back to college.
    A teeny college in a rural location where everyone knows everyone.

And I know no one. Agh!!!

They'll all be out of secondary school. I finished that 4 years ago.

I'll be like a granny to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Nuggles wrote: »

I'd say there will be a few others, dont worry about it ;)

I dont officially start till next week, but I got to have a snoop at the rooms and the lab etc. Had a chat with someone about the others that will be there and I was told there were a couple around my own age, and some a bit older . Im not nervous about it at all actually. If I meet some decent people there thats fair enough, but Im not going out of my way to be everyones friend.

Maybe my attitude towards it is different because Im that bit older, but I just dont want to mess up. If theres giggling and yapping out of the young'uns down the back, there'll be slaps all round :pac:

There won't be. I'll be the token oldie. gah.

LOL. Good luck with that then :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Well had my second day of orientation today. Joined some clubs, met some cool people! Feel entirely more positive about the whole experience now! :)

As for the posters up there talkin about being older than everone, theres loads of older students wanderin around the place so i wouldnt worry about that. Well thats what its like where i am anyway.

AS I said I know there won't be.

*sigh* kids don't listen these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I hear you nuggles

Just hang out with the staff :pac:

That won't work. I'm not that old either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

meh, i started in college at 23, most of my class in first year were 17 and 18 and of the opposite sex, for the first 2 years of my computer practicals i was the only lad in a class of 25 girls, seriously you guys are worrying too much about silly stuff ;)

• Advertisement

I don't think you people realise how small this campus will be.
    I have no choice regarding who I spend time with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I don't think you people realise how small this campus will be.
    I have no choice regarding who I spend time with.

again why worry, small groups are best anyway, like i wrote a few pages back there was 14 people in my masters course in galway and we all got on great

before starting college i did a vocational opportunity scheme here in roscommon (about 30 students in total), i didn't know anyone, i was 21 had left school 4 years previous, there was one other lad on the course also 21 and the rest were women over 40, some over 50 and one or 2 over 60, i got on great with everyone, thats 12 years now and i still go out for drink with some of the women from that course

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Ok Nuggles, you finished school four years ago so that makes you what, 22? Hardly a granny! The majority of other people in your year will be 18 or older, its not that big an age gap. I have lots of friends who are 22, its no biggie, you'll be the cool older chick.

I was 16, they'll be around that maybe 18.

It's more the fact I've been in the real world for 4 years. Not the same headspace as schoolkids.

It's more the fact I've been in the real world for 4 years. Not the same headspace as schoolkids.

Oh for fúcks sake...LOL. Thats the age gap you are worried about? I thought you were applying as a mature! Give it a day or two to get to know people, and you're sorted.

Ive just turned 30 and I couldnt give a shyte whether they're 18 or 90.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

It's more the fact I've been in the real world for 4 years.

That was a terrible MTV show. I don't know how you stuck with it for 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

Ann22 wrote: »
    My son's starting Ncad at the end of September, he's dead nervous about the whole thing, living away from home for the first time etc. It was grand to be able to show him all these positive comments.:)

im starting ncad too and quite nervous but sure hey it'll be great :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Ahhh the first day of college.

I didnt know a soul in my college when I started, but it was done pretty well on the frist day and everyone made friends straight away.

Jaysus I wish I was back in college. Beats this "being a productive member of society" jazz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Wait, what age are you? 20? 22?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I've still got 2 weeks till college and its no new place for me anymore...

Though on my 1st day of college I made like 20 friends... And then I barely spoke to them again!

• Advertisement

I've still got 2 weeks till college and its no new place for me anymore...

Though on my 1st day of college I made like 20 friends... And then I barely spoke to them again!

As Sean Hughes once said - the person you talk to on the first day of college you will spend the rest of your days in college trying to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    As Sean Hughes once said - the person you talk to on the first day of college you will spend the rest of your days in college trying to avoid.

The lecturers! It's been exactly 10 years since I first started in WIT and I'm still here. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

In college since yesterday and well so far it's pretty handy, freshers week next week should be good even if the bas*ards robbed our strippers*.

*For anyone who lives in a cave http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ulster-bank-distances-itself-from-itt-strip-show-event-100573.html

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I start college tomorrow. Not really nervous tbh. I've been in college before and got on grand in the first couple of days.

Just make up a back story and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Was nervous at first when I walked into the lecture hall but i got talking to one girl and we basically just chatted until we did this ice breaking session, now I know everyone in the group :D

That_Guy wrote: »
    Just make up a back story and you'll be grand.

Yes. Under no account should anyone get to know the real you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Paddo81

OP, if your nervous just remember alot of people on here would be very happy to be 17 and starting college again. Once you get the first week over, (meet all the lec's, get the lay of the land) you'll be grand. Good times ahead.

As someone else said, in four years time when your hopefully turfed out with a degree, then you can worry! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Inso Maniac

bahh 16?? didnt you fell young?? im 17 starting college....and i feel really young..cos apperently ppl take a year out or so...and im fresh from 6th year...TT__TT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I remember starting all them 3 years ago, in a big hall with 1,500 other people coming from a school of about 500 it was absolutely daunting! But, still made the most of it and had great craic! The first month is the hardest but after that you'll be grand.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Papillon! wrote: »
    im starting ncad too and quite nervous but sure hey it'll be great :pac:

Thanks for the positive post:)... I showed it to my son. He actually has a part time job in Dundalk, he sometimes has to be in for 6 on Fridays nights so we're worrying that he won't be able to keep it up. Have you any idea what time the college finishes on Friday evenings?

Advertisement