Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA-GALWAY

Options
  • 02-09-2009 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi-anyone get approved for BTEA in Galway yet? Havent heard a thing about mine and when i went in last week to enquire yer one just told me to go home and wait for a letter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭chriz

Im waiting to see if i got the BTEA for the second year of my course. I havent heard of anything yet and college starts the 14th . Im half tempted to go in but i dont think that would do any good lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I went in last Friday to enquire about BTEA as a 2nd year, and was told they would be starting to send out letters from Monday of this week. So, should be expecting the letter any day now. I had a sign-on day Tuesday of this week and was told that I didn't have to worry about a period of non-payment as I was already signed up for another 4 weeks. I guess they're waiving the fact that I'll be unavailable for work from Monday onwards.

It was a similar story last year when I was initially applying. I didn't receive confirmation of BTEA until 7-10 days after I'd started the semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Clueless09

oh right so hopefully we might hear something next week so, thanks. im to sign on Monday so I guess I will just sign as normal even though im going to college on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭magicface

Ya this is a bit of a joke alright im starting college in Dublin on Monday and have moved up to Dublin last Tuesday and don't know if I will get the BTEA as I havent heard anything! Bit stressed out about it if going back to college isnt stressful enough added pressure of worrying if I will actually get the allowance! worried and hopeful

magicface..

ya magicface its stressful not knowing. Im starting on Tuesday and put my form in to the social in July, havent heard a thing. Hopefully it will be sorted this week. How are you gonna collect your money if your up in Dublin and its going to the post office down here? you gonna come down on saturday to collect your jsb until btea is sorted out?

• Advertisement

anyone hear anything yet? :pac:

Still no letter here...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WiseMona

I got a phone call last Friday saying my application had been received and I would be getting a letter this week stating whether or not I will be receiving the BTEA. Nothing in the post today :(

nothing today either

Just had a talk in person with the people at the SW about 10 mins ago. They said that their has been an overwhelming amount of applications compared to last year and that they haven't even started to process the applications yet. I was also told that you will receive any SW payment that your getting until you application has been processed. God knows when they will be done :eek:

• Advertisement

fair play to ya-did you go in to the office or did they actually answer the phone?

Clueless09 wrote: »
    fair play to ya-did you go in to the office or did they actually answer the phone?

Ringing them is useless imagine the wait:eek: i went in and asked about whats going on i had to go upstairs and talk to someone about it. Atleast ya know something about it now i guess your going to have to sit back "try and relax" and wait for that phone call or letter :cool:

Yup - same here. Phoned again today. Was reassured they were working on it, but overwhelmed. Said it could be October at the earliest before they send out the letters stating whether or not I get it!:eek:

How many applications do you think there is :pac:. Id say they would prefer to get alot people off the live register everyone will get it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Don't waste your money on the phone, it is next to impossible even to get through to someone who directs the calls. Then they usually put you through to a phone that rings until it disconnects, don't have voicemail.

Nice...

i have received nothing yet... My friend got word today. he was refused it on the basis that he is going into 2nd year and not 1st. he done an evening course that got him exemptions from 1st year. So basically they would give it to him if he was going into 1st year and he would cost the state even more, but not when he is going into 2nd. i am crapping it now-i am in 2nd year too-was exempt from 1st myself. does anyone know will the college refund the registration fee if i get refused and leave shortly?

Got my letter today. BTEA granted for another year. Now in second year, received BTEA last year.

Clueless09, I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure someone in Admissions/Registrar's office of your college will know. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

Tzetze,

Did you have to go throught the process of sending in a new application for your 2nd year?

sillybird wrote: »
    Tzetze,

Did you have to go throught the process of sending in a new application for your 2nd year?

Gawd, say it ain't so..........................I thought for sure if you got it for first year (Fingers crossed) you did not have to re-apply???:(

sillybird wrote: »
    Tzetze,

Sometime around the end of 1st year, I got a form in the post to fill out. It basically asked if I intended resuming college for another year, and when that year would begin. I submitted that before the summer break.

I didn't submit anything else, and got an 'acceptance' letter today. It's basically the same acceptance that I received at the start of 1st year, telling me to provide evidence of registration from the admissions office before BTEA payments start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

Oh I see you just need to prove that you are still attending college. Thanks for that...saved me a heart attack!!!

this is complete joke people in my course that have applied for BTEA 2 weeks ago and got accepted yesterday and today. I find Galway a complete joke.

magicface wrote: »
    this is complete joke people in my course that have applied for BTEA 2 weeks ago and got accepted yesterday and today. I find Galway a complete joke.

You cant be serious, i have to wait till i get a letter of registration before they process mine fully.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

chriz wrote: »
    You cant be serious, i have to wait till i get a letter of registration before they process mine fully.:rolleyes:

+1 pain in the hole!

Just to those who are goin into 2nd year and got the BTEA in 1st year, did i hear right that ya can't work over the summers? Also do ya have to sign on (really thinkin about a J1 or somethin here, and would it be possible to do that)

coyle wrote: »
    +1 pain in the hole!

Just to those who are goin into 2nd year and got the BTEA in 1st year, did i hear right that ya can't work over the summers? Also do ya have to sign on (really thinkin about a J1 or somethin here, and would it be possible to do that)

You heard wrong. You can work, you can do your J1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Got a letter yesterday stating that I was successful in my application for B.T.E.A - so relieved!!

I handed in my app around the first week of August.

Didn't send in a letter of registration either, was going to hand in one yesterday but it looks like I don't need to now!

G'luck to the rest of you, let us know how you get on.

Btw, was my first time applying for BTEA, going into 1st year

Got a letter yesterday stating that I was successful in my application for B.T.E.A - so relieved!!

I handed in my app around the first week of August.

Didn't send in a letter of registration either, was going to hand in one yesterday but it looks like I don't need to now!

G'luck to the rest of you, let us know how you get on.

Btw, was my first time applying for BTEA, going into 1st year

pandamoanium delighted for ya as I know how stressful it can be waiting as I have since the end of June and still not heard anything I have moved from Galway to Dublin already and going into my 3rd week of college and seriously stressing out and I may have to leave college early to try get to Galway tomorrow to get into the social welfare office before it closes at 4pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭moldypeach

i got through to them by phone a 2 weeks ago, was told i had to send in my resumption letter, which i got at the end of first year and sent in!! i was then told it would be in my file and she would send out a new letter?? i said but i sent it in already , she couldnt go down the stairs to get my file unless she had my letter .....which was in my file!! what a mess, i sent in the duplicate letter and got accepted i have handed in my registration letter a week ago but no sign of the 500

Ditto on the registration letter. I handed mine in a week ago last Friday. Was hoping to see the 500 last Thursday, now hoping for this Thursday...

• Advertisement

Woop got the beta for second year, handed in the registration letter today so should get the 500 soon enough and will be able to pay the debt i owe a friend cos they they payed the registration fee for me lol

Advertisement